:

Cogito Ergo Sum,
Yuri Gagarin (Vanilla Townie)
, made an example out of during the pregame
Zindaras,
Emmett "Doc" Brown (Cop)
, flattened by a Panzer tank in Block 1, Phase II
HackerHuck,
Heinz Guderian (Goon of the Blitzkrieg Mafia)
, flattened by a Ferrari racing car in Block 1, Phase II
M4yhem,
Erwin Rommel (Godfather of the Blitzkrieg Mafia)
, left behind in Block 1, Phase II
Mert (replacing armlx),
Michael Schumacher (Serial Killer)
, left behind in Block 2, Phase I
pablito (replacing Mariyta),
Hermes (Backup Cop)
, flattened by a Panzer tank in Block 2, Phase II
themanhimself,
The Bus from "Speed" (Exploding Townie)
, exploded in Block 2, Phase II
Bogre,
Sonic the Hedgehog (Vanilla Townie)
, flattened by a falling boulder in Block 2, Phase II
MrBuddyLee,
Erich von Manstein (Goon of the Blitzkrieg Mafia)
, left behind in Block 2, Phase II

Note to Players

(mostly obsolete, but I'll leave it here for now)
Game Intro wrote:You will be expected to post at least once or twice on most real-time days. If you don't expect to be able to keep up this level of activity during the month or so that the game will last, don't sign up. Given the unusual structure, first-time players probably shouldn't sign up either. When signing up, please indicate that you've read this.
Some of you have confirmed this, others haven't. This game will be a bit faster than usual, and the mechanics make it somewhat more vulnerable to lurking. Unexpected stuff happens, of course, but
if you already know you will not have time to participate, you should reconsider now, rather than when the game is in progress
Last edited by Howfast on Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:31 am, edited 29 times in total.
Howfast
Howfast
Townie
Howfast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:08 pm

Post by Howfast »

The Rules

The Usual
  • Don't edit or delete your posts.
  • Don't use invisible text, color=black tags, and the like.
  • Don't quote private messages, or try to use the wording in role PMs to your advantage.
  • Don't talk about the game outside the thread, unless your role PM says you can.
  • Only
    bolded
    votes count. Unvoting is helpful, but not strictly necessary.
  • It takes a majority to lynch. Once that happens, the target is irrevocably dead, even if someone unvotes later.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, don't say anything other than "bah". Talking in twilight is OK.
  • Be nice to each other. <3
  • Participate. If you'll be unable to participate for more than 48 hours, leave a message in the thread or in a PM to us.
  • Have fun.
The Unusual
  • There are no days or nights, just choice blocks lasting one week. Each choice block has two phases. Phase I lasts two days, Phase II lasts five days. We will start with Block 1, Phase I.
  • A new Block or Phase hasn't officially started until we've posted in the thread saying that it has. We'll try to be on time.
  • Unless something unforeseen happens, the thread will always be open.
  • During Phase I, roles that would normally talk at night can talk in private. Sending us copies/transcripts is appreciated but not necessary.
  • During Phase II, no one can talk in private.
  • Role powers that would normally be usable once per night are now usable once per choice block. (Once at any time in Block 1, once at any time in Block 2, and so on.)
  • Any role powers that work continuously (e.g. doctors, roleblockers) will take effect as soon as we receive the choice of target and end as soon as the choice block ends.
  • Any role powers that work instantly (e.g. cops, vigilantes) will take effect as soon as we receive the choice of target, or as soon as Phase II of the same block starts,
    whichever happens last
    . So if you send in Phase I, you'll have to wait.
  • Conflicts will be resolved by comparing the time at which PMs were received. (Any powers that were delayed until Phase II, however, take place simultaneously.) Dead people can't use powers, even if they don't know they're dead.
  • If you've been killed, your vote doesn't count, even if we haven't yet posted your death scene. That means it's theoretically possible for an apparent lynch to be revoked. Conflicts will be resolved by comparing the time at which PMs were received and the time at which the lynching vote was cast.
  • There is no limit to the number of lynches per choice block. Votes are not reset between choice blocks. Votes are reset after each lynch.
  • In addition to voting, you can
    prevote
    in the following format:
    prevote: (player)
    . You can also unprevote. Prevotes have no effect until there is a lynch; once there is a lynch, you will automatically vote for your prevote target.
Here's a typical townie PM.
A Typical Townie PM wrote:Welcome to Speed Mafia, Cogito Ergo Sum. You are
Yuri Gagarin
, the cosmonaut. You have no powers.

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated (and some of you are still alive).

You are a
Vanilla Townie
. PM us if you have any questions.
There are no alignment-changing mechanics in this game. Roles will, of course, be assigned entirely at random.

All game-related communication should go through Howfast (who is Fiasco, BrianMcQueso, Lloyd, and Yosarian2).

The pregame will end after everyone has confirmed by posting in-thread. We will then send out role PMs and start Block 1. During the pregame period, if there's anything unclear about these rules, please ask questions in this thread.
Last edited by Howfast on Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:59 am, edited 5 times in total.
Howfast
Howfast
Townie
Howfast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:08 pm

Post by Howfast »

September 1906

click

The sun rose over the Gobi desert. A short, monocled man stood there and stared into the distance, picking his nose. Another man, tall and heavy-set, fiddled with the controls on a machine the size of a small car. All was quiet.

Then, suddenly, visitors began to arrive.

From all directions, one at a time, some of the fastest beings in this world -- some of whom hadn't yet been born, some of whom would never even exist -- came flying, driving, and running in; each finally stood still in the neighborhood of the two men. Great clouds of sand and dust enveloped them all.

When the dust settled, the visitors eyed one another, confused. Finally, one dared to speak up.

"Lord Howfast, I presume?"

The shorter man grinned. "You may call me Clive, if you wish. I'm pleased to make your acquaintance. This here is my loyal servant, Frederick." The other man looked up from the machine and bowed, impressed by the array of famous guests Howfast had managed to gather in this mod-forsaken place.

"That's enough pleasantries, Howfast", said another voice from the group. "Where's the small crowd of spectators that you promised us? Where's the starting line? Aren't we going to have a race?"

"Oh, you will have a race, alright." Howfast paused for dramatic effect. "You will have a race --
to the death
!"

There were definite murmurs.

"To the death? I knew you were supposed to be 'eccentric', Howfast, but I would have thought murder to be beneath you. That machine -- is it a weapon?", said another visitor, his voice beginning to tremble.

"Ah, yes! Glad you reminded me, my good friend. That machine is not a weapon. I have other means of winning your cooperation. That machine is a
present-to-future transmitter
. I invented it myself. You see, not only are you all going to have a race to the death, you are going to have a race to the death shaped exactly like a very charming game, one that will be invented by a Russian about 80 years from now -- the game of
Mafia
."

"'Mafia'? Isn't that some group of criminals in Italy?"

"Precisely. In about 100 years from now, people will play a game named after this organization in a place called the 'Internet'. I have not yet been able to discern in what country this 'net' will be located, but my informants assure me that it is a wild, wondrous place."

"So what about the machine?"

"Do not interrupt me. I will explain all in due course. The genius of my ploy is not just in that your race will resemble a game of Mafia. It is in that your actions, and indeed your very fate, will be linked, across the mists of time, to the events in a specific Mafia game, a game played on
mafiascum.net
, called
Speed Mafia
. Its player group suspects absolutely nothing, and the few fools that I have recruited as its moderators will be firmly under the control of my powerful mind."

"But the machine?"

"The machine is what accomplishes the link across time. I have arranged that, once it is switched on, it will relay events in this time to one of the moderators, who will then be compelled by the machine's force to provide an exact description of all that happens to the player group. Now, let us contact the one who so aptly calls himself 'Fiasco' through the machine, so that we may begin informing the players. Frederick, turn it on."

"'Turn it on', Lord Howfast?"

"Yes, Frederick. Are you deaf?"

"Not at all, Lord Howfast. There is only that I thought... I thought you said to turn on the transmitter before sunrise."

"You mean the transmitter is already on?"

"I am afraid so, Lord Howfast. I think I turned it on... ah, yes, it was just as you were picking your nose this morning."

Howfast kicked the sand. "Why am I surrounded by blithering idiots?"

"Just the one, sir", replied Frederick humbly.

Regaining his composure, Howfast started talking to the sky. To those present, it seemed as though he wasn't addressing anyone in particular. "Very well, 'players'. Very well. Now you all know what is going on. The lives of these people here depend on your little game, so listen closely.

"All of these visitors will participate in a deadly race from here to the North Pole. This is not quite an ordinary Mafia game. It will have no days or nights -- just
choice blocks
, about which I will explain more later.

"You may vote for each other as normal, at any time. Once a majority of votes is reached, one of you will be
left behind
-- and being left behind means death."

There were a few gasps. "You're going to kill
everyone
except the winners of the race?", said someone.

Howfast smiled. "I suppose this would be the time to introduce you to a friend of mine." He made a strange whistling sound. The earth trembled.

From a crack in the ground emerged a monstrous fanged turtle, first its giant head, then its heavy body.

"Behold -- my Middle-Aged Mutant Ninja Turtle!!!", said Howfast.

"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased m--"

"What insolence! Turtle, make an example out of this man!"

The turtle slowly attacked the group of visitors, dragging one of them -- the one that had just spoken up -- helplessly to the ground, then ripping him to pieces. Though it was now difficult to make out his identity, some visitors recognized him as being Yuri Gagarin.

"Now, as I was trying to explain before being rudely interrupted, each of you that is left behind will be overtaken by my Turtle and meet the same fate as this unfortunate cosmonaut.

"It is even worse than this. Among you are some who would like to see the rest dead. Even if in no danger of being left behind, you will need to fear your demise at every moment. Actually, I might as well say it is them." Howfast pointed at a few of the visitors. "Luckily, the 'players' have no idea at whom I just pointed, and they, not you, my visitors, will determine who is to be left behind." The visitors groaned in frustration.

"You may leave people behind at any time you wish, as long as you collect the required number of votes. To keep your adventure running smoothly, I will even allow you to "pre-vote". Once my Turtle gets to feed, all your pre-votes will replace your old votes immediately.

"There are some among you with special abilities. This is where the Choice Blocks come into play. Each Choice Block has a definite beginning and ending, and lasts exactly one week. The first two days of each Choice Block are Phase I. The last five days are Phase II. All abilities can be used once per Choice Block. Some of you -- cops, vigilantes, evil killers -- may have abilities that work instantaneously. These will take effect as soon as the 'moderators' receive your choice, or as soon as Phase II starts, whichever comes last. Others among you -- doctors, roleblockers -- may have abilities that work continuously. These will start taking effect as soon as the 'moderators' receive your choice, and will stop taking effect at the beginning of the next choice block.

"Those of you who would normally be allowed to talk in private at night -- mafia, masons -- are allowed to talk in private during Phase I only.

"I will have the 'moderators' write all this up in the rules, just in case. If anything is still unclear, ask questions in private messages, or in the thread if you think others would also be interested in the answers."

Howfast stopped talking to empty space and turned to the group of visitors again. "I will now switch off the machine, leaving the group of 'players' to bicker among themselves while your fate hangs in the balance. But first... I will have my servant laugh at you!"

"Bwaha", Frederick said. "BwahaHAHAHA! HAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHA! AHAHAHAHAHA--"

click

Cogito Ergo Sum,
Yuri Gagarin (Vanilla Townie)
, made an example out of during the pregame

We are still in the pregame phase. Confirm and ask any rules questions in thread.
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:29 am

Post by Zindaras »

Two questions:
Howfast wrote:[*] Once your death scene has been posted,
or once the lynching vote has been placed on you
, don't say anything other than "bah".

[*] If you've been killed, your vote doesn't count, even if we haven't yet posted your death scene. That means it's theoretically possible for an apparent lynch to be revoked. Conflicts will be resolved by comparing the time at which PMs were received and the time at which the lynching vote was cast.
Since we don't know when a lynch is a lynch, wouldn't it be better to change the first rule to "Once your death scene has been posted"?

Also, about the Choice blocks. If I were an instantaneous role, I send in my role during Block 1, and it'll resolve at the beginning of Block 2, and I'll send in my role again during Block 2, and it'll resolve immediately?

And a big *laughs* for the opening scene.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
Howfast
Howfast
Townie
Howfast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:42 am

Post by Howfast »

Zindaras wrote:Since we don't know when a lynch is a lynch, wouldn't it be better to change the first rule to "Once your death scene has been posted"?
I was just thinking about that. For now, I'll change it to "once your death scene has been posted,
or once a potential lynching vote has been cast on you
". Maybe the bolded part will disappear before the game starts, though.
Also, about the Choice blocks. If I were an instantaneous role, I send in my role during Block 1, and it'll resolve at the beginning of Block 2, and I'll send in my role again during Block 2, and it'll resolve immediately?
If you send during
Phase I
of Block 1, it'll resolve at the beginning of
Phase II
of Block 1.
Zindaras
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Zindaras
Mr(s) Popularity
Mr(s) Popularity

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:44 am

Post by Zindaras »

Howfast wrote:If you send during
Phase I
of Block 1, it'll resolve at the beginning of
Phase II
of Block 1.
Yeah, both should be phases.

*rereads*

Never mind.
Show
Finished: 159 (120 Town, 33 Mafia, 5 Other, 1 Cult, 4 Cultivated)
68 Wins, 71 Losses
Town: 52 Wins, 54 Losses (2 Wins as Cult)
Mafia: 13 Wins, 15 Losses (1 Win as Cult)
Other: 3 Wins, 1 Loss (1 Win as Cult)
Cult: 0 Wins, 1 Loss
Cultivated: 4 Wins, 0 Losses
59 Survived, 31 Lynched, 60 Killed
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 12:51 am

Post by MrBuddyLee »

*blinks*
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
themanhimself
themanhimself
Goon
themanhimself
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:47 am

Post by themanhimself »

Zindaras wrote: Since we don't know when a lynch is a lynch
I missed something. Why don't we know when a lynch is a lynch?
Confirm.
If P then Q.
Theman had us nailed.-rekirts
Arafax
Arafax
Mafia Scum
Arafax
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:16 am

Post by Arafax »

Howfast wrote:Once my Turtle gets to feed, all your pre-votes will replace your old votes immediately.
What does this mean?
"I will wait for you forever...If you would just ask me"
- Emery
M4yhem
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:49 am

Post by M4yhem »

Confirmerised.

No questions yet except can I
prevote: Zindaras
?

Hi other probably doomed mortals!
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:16 am

Post by HackerHuck »

confirm

It's slowly sinking in.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:24 am

Post by Twomz »

/confirm

By "prevotes" he means that after someone has been lynched, other players can go ahead and move their votes to someone else before the lynch scene (and subsequent block change) occur (like votes in twilight counting towards the next day.).
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Arafax
Arafax
Mafia Scum
Arafax
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:36 am

Post by Arafax »

Oh, by the way /confirm.

Thanks Twomz!
- Emery
Brutal Assassin
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Brutal Assassin
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:31 am

Post by Brutal Assassin »

# Any role powers that work instantly (e.g. cops, vigilantes) will take effect as soon as we receive the choice of target, or as soon as Phase II starts, whichever happens last.

I don't understand that. So if we send in a choice during Phase II, it would occur during Phase II the next day? BEcause by your definition what happens LAST is Phase II STARTING. Since you're bound to check it in those 5 days, and the new Phase II won't start for another week. Can you clarify?

/confirm, nice group of players.
Tamuz
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Tamuz
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:46 am

Post by Tamuz »

Go Speed Racer, go Go! Speed Racer! Pow!
Tamuz is the expression of the alienated, of the ambitious, of the dispossessed.
Howfast
Howfast
Townie
Howfast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:22 am

Post by Howfast »

I missed something. Why don't we know when a lynch is a lynch?
It's theoretically possible that one of the voters on the wagon had already been killed when the lynching vote was placed, but we didn't update the game yet. In that case, the lynch wouldn't count. (So sometimes it's useful to put more votes on after what seems to be the lynching vote.)

I just realized it's possible for nightkillers to cause your lynch by killing someone who isn't voting for you and lowering the lynch threshold. Not sure this is really a problem, but I'll have to think about this and ask my co-mods for advice.
No questions yet except can I prevote: Zindaras?
Sorry, no voting or even prevoting until Block 1.
By "prevotes" he means that after someone has been lynched, other players can go ahead and move their votes to someone else before the lynch scene (and subsequent block change) occur (like votes in twilight counting towards the next day.)
Not sure this is right... you can prevote at any time; what it does is that once there's a lynch scene, your next vote automatically goes to the person you prevoted for. It's a way of saying, "I already know I want X dead, so I want to vote him as soon as we've lynched Y", without having to get online and do so. Just a convenience that you can safely ignore if you want.
I don't understand that. So if we send in a choice during Phase II, it would occur during Phase II the next day? BEcause by your definition what happens LAST is Phase II STARTING. Since you're bound to check it in those 5 days, and the new Phase II won't start for another week. Can you clarify?
Heh... you could read it that way, but "Phase II" here refers to Phase II of the same block. If you send your choice during Phase II of Block 1, then Phase II of Block 1 has already started, so your sending in your choice is the event that happens last. I'll try to make this clearer in the rules.
Arafax
Arafax
Mafia Scum
Arafax
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:22 am

Post by Arafax »

Tamuz and Twomz...Wow, I'll be screwing that one up....Maybe I'll refer to you guys as the drunk penguin and the scratcher???
- Emery
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:35 am

Post by armlx »

Here.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
Howfast
Howfast
Townie
Howfast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:02 pm

Post by Howfast »

If Bogre and Mariyta confirm before then, I'll send out role PMs at something like 8pm GMT. The first block will probably last 8-9 days rather than 7 days, (among other things) so that blocks don't start or end in the weekend.
M4yhem
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
M4yhem
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:09 am

Post by M4yhem »

Still here.
Borge, Mariyta- I will be voting for the last person to confirm. Just so you know.
Howfast
Howfast
Townie
Howfast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:04 am

Post by Howfast »

Talking in twilight is now allowed, as per Zindaras's suggestion. Nightkills will still reduce the lynch threshold immediately, so note that it may be possible for the scum to cause a lynch this way.

I'll assign roles as soon as I have confirms from Bogre and Mariyta.
Howfast
Howfast
Townie
Howfast
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:16 am

Post by Howfast »

Since both read their PM on Saturday and have been active since, I've sent Bogre and Mariyta a reminder. In 24 hours I may start looking for replacements.

In the mean time, feel free to chat here, or something.
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:12 pm

Post by Twomz »

So... we got to do this fast huh? I know we're going to want to lynch at least as often as the nightactions take place... so does anyone have any ideas on how to keep up momentum (especially on day 1)?
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith
Mariyta
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mariyta
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:30 pm

Post by Mariyta »

/confirm. Sorry I'm late to the party.
Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
-Susan Ertz

Whoever thinks grammar is not important, think again. Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Bogre
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Bogre
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:47 pm

Post by Bogre »

/confirm
Show
Murder, Corruption, Betrayal.
ArmageddonMUD