Newbie 310: It's All Over -- WOO-HOO!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #25 (ISO) » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:30 am

Post by Fircoal »

VitaminR wrote:
Azkar wrote:
VitaminR wrote:Feels like a "safe" post. Random.org to not be held responsible and the ultra-townie smilie with enthusiasm and reassurance that scum is the enemy.

Unvote: Seol,
Vote: Azkar

Based on very little, but it's a start.
Well, I guess if you really want to grasp at straws .. *shrug*

Seriously, though, is random.org any more a suspicious reason for voting someone than any of the other reasons offered, so far?

I guess I'll try to curb my excitement about the next game I play ;). I admit it, I'm an impatient person. I waited through the queue, I waited through the confirms stage, and I was just happy about getting into the game.
It is pretty much just grasping at straws. :D

But also to test reactions, like Fircoal stepping up to defend you. That could at some point become useful information.
THe only reason I defended him, was because it didn't seem like a scum post. Just what I think.
Avinyl
Avinyl
Townie
Avinyl
Townie
Townie

Post Post #26 (ISO) » Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:33 am

Post by Avinyl »

I am sorry about not posting very much, but there's something wrong with my internet connection, it should be fixed on Monday.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #27 (ISO) » Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:49 am

Post by VitaminR »

(I am going to reduce the quote size a bit to make this more readable.)
Fircoal wrote:
VitaminR wrote:But also to test reactions, like Fircoal stepping up to defend you. That could at some point become useful information.
The only reason I defended him, was because it didn't seem like a scum post. Just what I think.
It certainly isn't something that'll really count against you in my mind. I'm just explaining why I voted based on something that is not really concrete evidence.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #28 (ISO) » Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:20 am

Post by MeMe »

Vote Count
:

Azkar
(2):
Fircoal, VitaminR

Seol
(1):
Avinyl

Thesp
(1):
Seol

theopor_COD
(1):
Thesp

Fircoal
(1):
Azkar

Avinyl
(1):
theopor_COD

not voting
(0)

Four to lynch.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #29 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:30 am

Post by Thesp »

Fircoal wrote:THe only reason I defended him, was because it didn't seem like a scum post. Just what I think.
Unvote: theopor_COD, Vote: Fircoal.
Methink he doth protest too much.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #30 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:32 am

Post by Fircoal »

Thesp wrote:
Fircoal wrote:THe only reason I defended him, was because it didn't seem like a scum post. Just what I think.
Unvote: theopor_COD, Vote: Fircoal.
Methink he doth protest too much.
How is my defense protesting to much? I only said it didn't seem like a scum post, to me.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #31 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:17 am

Post by VitaminR »

I think it is to do with the fact that your defense is "the only reason I defended him, was because it didn't seem like a scum post." That is what you can assume about every townie.

Your defense comes down to reasserting the fact that you're pro-town. That doesn't mean much as a defense, which is why it can be seen to reveal a need to re-affirm the underlying assumption that everyone is pro-town. Basically, stating that you're pro-town reveals a guilty conscience, and the possibility in your mind of it being untrue.
Azkar
Azkar
Townie
Azkar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #32 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:33 am

Post by Azkar »

VitaminR wrote:Your defense comes down to reasserting the fact that you're pro-town. That doesn't mean much as a defense, which is why it can be seen to reveal a need to re-affirm the underlying assumption that everyone is pro-town. Basically, stating that you're pro-town reveals a guilty conscience, and the possibility in your mind of it being untrue.
This line of logic is really starting to get at me. I mean ... it's just too convenient, don't you think? Fircoal said the post didn't seem like a scum post, and that casts a suspicious light on him, because it asserts pro-townieness? Well, really, who
isn't
going to assert a pro-town inclination? I don't think we'll see many people here trying to say they're pro-scum.

unvote

vote: VitaminR

Not much to go on, but it's a start.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (ISO) » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:51 pm

Post by VitaminR »

Erm... I didn't actually say anywhere that I thought it was suspicious, just that it could be seen as suspicious.

I don't really see it as a significant tell.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #34 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:08 pm

Post by Thesp »

VitaminR wrote:Your defense comes down to reasserting the fact that you're pro-town. That doesn't mean much as a defense, which is why it can be seen to reveal a need to re-affirm the underlying assumption that everyone is pro-town. Basically, stating that you're pro-town reveals a guilty conscience, and the possibility in your mind of it being untrue.
Quoted for truthery.
Azkar wrote:This line of logic is really starting to get at me. I mean ... it's just too convenient, don't you think? Fircoal said the post didn't seem like a scum post, and that casts a suspicious light on him, because it asserts pro-townieness? Well, really, who isn't going to assert a pro-town inclination?
Most people don't state that they are pro-town, because they presume it (particularly newer players). Scum are more likely to insist they are pro-town as a (crude) way of trying to convince the town that they are.
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Azkar
Azkar
Townie
Azkar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #35 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:30 pm

Post by Azkar »

Blech .. I'll
unvote
, for now. There really isn't much to go on here, it seems. It would be nice if some of the other players dropped in to offer their perspective ;).

Right now, we've got VitaminR voting for myself, based on a perhaps overly enthusiastic first post, and we have Thesp voting for Fircoal over .. his defense of his defense? The rest, I think, were random / joke votes.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #36 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Post by VitaminR »

My vote is now also based on:
1) Your defense of Fircoal.
2) Your eagerness to vote me.
theopor_COD
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
PhD'oh!

Post Post #37 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:27 pm

Post by theopor_COD »

unvote, vote Azkar
theopor_COD
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
PhD'oh!

Post Post #38 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:33 pm

Post by theopor_COD »

As for the reasons behind my vote, his defence of Fircoal and weak attack on VitaminR then subsequent unvote just convinces me of his scumminess.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #39 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:03 pm

Post by Fircoal »

unvote: Azkar
Vote: Theopor_COD

You put Azkar at -1 lynch, that's a newbie game scum tactic.
theopor_COD
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
theopor_COD
PhD'oh!
PhD'oh!

Post Post #40 (ISO) » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:19 pm

Post by theopor_COD »

Trying to save your buddy now?
Azkar
Azkar
Townie
Azkar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #41 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:37 am

Post by Azkar »

VitaminR wrote:My vote is now also based on:
1) Your defense of Fircoal.
Did I really defend Fircoal? I thought I was more defending myself, by speaking out against the sort of logic that was being used against both of us. Honestly, Fircoal hasn't really said much in the game to make me think much, either way.
VitaminR wrote:2) Your eagerness to vote me.
Because you're innocent, obviosly, right? ;)
theopor_COD wrote:As for the reasons behind my vote, his defence of Fircoal and weak attack on VitaminR then subsequent unvote just convinces me of his scumminess.
I'm still new to this game. I'm trying to get a feel for the right directions to take. Maybe my attack on VitaminR was weak. I still think his attack on me was weak. At least I'm willing to admit it, and back down for the moment.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #42 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:10 am

Post by VitaminR »

Azkar wrote:Did I really defend Fircoal? I thought I was more defending myself, by speaking out against the sort of logic that was being used against both of us. Honestly, Fircoal hasn't really said much in the game to make me think much, either way.
Could you show me how is it the logic that has been used against you?
Azkar wrote:Because you're innocent, obviously, right? ;)
Well, yeah. 8)
Azkar wrote:I'm still new to this game. I'm trying to get a feel for the right directions to take. Maybe my attack on VitaminR was weak. I still think his attack on me was weak. At least I'm willing to admit it, and back down for the moment.
More than anything, I'm keeping my vote on you and picking at your actions to see how you respond (and others). I'm not anywhere near convinced that you're scum. Honestly, your posts seem pretty transparent and helpful overall. I am definitely re-evaluating my suspicions.

The thing that is keeping my vote on you at the moment is mostly the strong sense of connection between Fircoal and you.

This, I'm afraid, is just strengthening that:
Fircoal wrote:

You put Azkar at -1 lynch, that's a newbie game scum tactic.
While I don't think theopor_COD's conviction is warranted, putting Azkar at -1 is not really all that significant. One of the votes on him was a random vote by you, who has clearly stipulated that he does not agree with the suspicion on Azkar (and therefore would not support a lynch). Also, anyone hammering Azkar this quickly would come under close scrutiny. It is not all that dangerous.
Azkar
Azkar
Townie
Azkar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #43 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:49 am

Post by Azkar »

VitaminR wrote:
Azkar wrote:Did I really defend Fircoal? I thought I was more defending myself, by speaking out against the sort of logic that was being used against both of us. Honestly, Fircoal hasn't really said much in the game to make me think much, either way.
Could you show me how is it the logic that has been used against you?
Your first comments about me:
VitaminR wrote:Feels like a "safe" post. Random.org to not be held responsible and the ultra-townie smilie with enthusiasm and reassurance that scum is the enemy.
And your later explanation of Thesp's probable motives in voting Fircoal:
Maybe it was a more tenuous link than I thought it was, at the time. But that's the only point I remember saying much of anything about Fircoal.
VitaminR wrote:The thing that is keeping my vote on you at the moment is mostly the strong sense of connection between Fircoal and you.

This, I'm afraid, is just strengthening that:
Fircoal wrote:
Thanks for explaining your current reasonings. I can see how the perceived connection between two players can be seen as suspicious. It seems a pretty obvious tell, though, and a really poor strategic move to show that much public support for a scum-buddy. It was nice having at least one person sticking up for me, but I don't pretend to know his motivations. I'm sure Fircoal can provide more insight into his thought processes than I can.
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #44 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:22 am

Post by VitaminR »

Azkar wrote:Maybe it was a more tenuous link than I thought it was, at the time. But that's the only point I remember saying much of anything about Fircoal.
I do think you're right in that they stem from the same tack of reasoning. I definitely see them as separate, though. Firstly, intuitions about the sincerity of a post play an important role. Secondly, Fircoal's comment was different. It was unprompted and defensive and it stood out. Your first post was essentially the perfect townie post. They are both falling back on what is "safe," but in ways that I think should be distinguished.

That's all fairly irrelevant, since I do see how you would not have necessarily been defending Fircoal in attacking that.
Azkar wrote:Thanks for explaining your current reasonings. I can see how the perceived connection between two players can be seen as suspicious. It seems a pretty obvious tell, though, and a really poor strategic move to show that much public support for a scum-buddy. It was nice having at least one person sticking up for me, but I don't pretend to know his motivations. I'm sure Fircoal can provide more insight into his thought processes than I can.
It is a poor strategic move, but I have (or had) no way of gauging whether or not you or Fircoal are sound strategic players. In any case, the connection seems so obvious that I find it difficult to come up with another explanation. There is a tendency for suspicions to polarise a group of players, but, even if that is the case, a great deal of useful information can be gleaned from encouraging that process. I would definitely like to hear more from Fircoal about his theopor vote, though.

I would also like to hear from Avinyl and Seol.
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #45 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:04 pm

Post by Thesp »

VitaminR wrote:While I don't think theopor_COD's conviction is warranted, putting Azkar at -1 is not really all that significant. One of the votes on him was a random vote by you, who has clearly stipulated that he does not agree with the suspicion on Azkar (and therefore would not support a lynch). Also, anyone hammering Azkar this quickly would come under close scrutiny. It is not all that dangerous.
So...tempting...must resist...hammer of doom...
Reiner Knizia

your
game!
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #46 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:10 pm

Post by Fircoal »

I voted Theopor_Cod, because he put Azkar at -1, and a newbie, but to you it may not seem like much of a problem but it stood out more to me. If we allow people to put someone at -1 lynch, the scum can lynch that person, making in 2:3 on the 2nd day, I don't want that to happen. Like your vote on Azkar, I am picking straws. As I said before I only defended him because it didn't seem scummy to me. It really wasn't really a defense, but more my opinion on the case. I didn't seem that defensive when I typed it out.
Fircoal strikes me more like an awful fake claim that gets you lynched in under 25 posts. - Kelly Chen
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #47 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:11 pm

Post by Fircoal »

Thesp wrote:
VitaminR wrote:While I don't think theopor_COD's conviction is warranted, putting Azkar at -1 is not really all that significant. One of the votes on him was a random vote by you, who has clearly stipulated that he does not agree with the suspicion on Azkar (and therefore would not support a lynch). Also, anyone hammering Azkar this quickly would come under close scrutiny. It is not all that dangerous.
So...tempting...must resist...hammer of doom...
either that's sarcasm, or it proves my point.
Azkar
Azkar
Townie
Azkar
Townie
Townie

Post Post #48 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Post by Azkar »

VitaminR wrote:I would also like to hear from Avinyl and Seol.
I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

I'm pretty sure I saw Seol posting in another game, earlier today. I hope he hasn't forgotten about us :(.
Fircoal
Fircoal
Goon
Fircoal
Goon
Goon

Post Post #49 (ISO) » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:15 pm

Post by Fircoal »

Azkar wrote:
VitaminR wrote:I would also like to hear from Avinyl and Seol.
I was going to say pretty much the same thing.

I'm pretty sure I saw Seol posting in another game, earlier today. I hope he hasn't forgotten about us :(.
MAybe he has no comments.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”