Newbie 384: All over 'cept the finger-pointing!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:10 am

Post by WindFish »

I'm here. I didn't check on Sunday (busy driving home) but did check the other nights while I was at reunion. I didn't have anything to contribute then.

I'll respond more to thedocsalive's claims and vote against me in a bit.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #101 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:19 am

Post by MeMe »

Vote Count
:

truncator
(2):
Windfish, pickemgenius

pickemgenius
(1):
truncator

Yosarian2
(1):
Albert B. Rampage

WindFish
(1):
thedocsalive

not voting
(2):
LlamaHunter, Yosarian2

Four to lynch.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #102 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:11 pm

Post by WindFish »

As promised, my response:
thedocsalive wrote:And while we would all like to hear truncator's response to Yos' questions, it doesn't mean the game has to be at a standstill while we wait for him to do so. Most notably, Windfish has posted the least during the whole thing.
I suppose it feels like a long time that I went without posting. (I felt the same when I called out for a prod when notehead went AWOL for several pages even though it was over a weekend in earth-time.) I did pre-excuse my lack of activity by being busy with out-of-game business. So while I understand that my failure to post during the Yosarian/truncator q&a interchange may have disappointed you, I think I've demonstrated signficant pro-town vigilance, posting a lot previously to my going-away post. (Even disregarding my grammar-correcting triple post. :o)

Specifically, I called attention to truncator's lynch-1 vote and to notehead's absence.

If I really wanted to reduce my participation rate without drawing suspicion, I could lied and said I wouldn't have a connection while away.
thedocsalive wrote:While I wouldn't lynch him for that alone, I do think it's suspicious how little he has posted throughout the game. Other than the discussion about the phrase "pressure balance," I think we have very little content from Windfish, which is bad.
3 of 24 posts on page 1.
2 of 24 posts on page 2.
4 of 24 posts on page 3. (2 if you neglect the triplepost)
2 of 24 posts on page 3. (1 of which is notifying I'll be away.)

So I don't think my participation rate has actually changed drastically. If what I've posted has been devoid of useful content, I'll work to improve that.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #103 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:29 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

WF/Everyone

What do you think could be accomplished/would happen if somebody put a third vote on truncator?

I think, that it would create more discussion, and would allow for more solid opinions on everybody.

Also, would trunc need to claim if he were put at L-1?
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:11 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's ok drench
(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love
(1:55:31 AM) Drench394: i can't wait

STREAMING:

www.twitch.tv/xxxpickemgenius
LlamaHunter
LlamaHunter
Townie
LlamaHunter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #104 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:29 pm

Post by LlamaHunter »

Wow, living in a different time zone makes you miss quite a lot. I, personally, am suspicious of truncator, and would support a 3rd vote on him. Obviously, there is the risk of scum then creating some kind of excuse to lynch him if he's town, or possibly feigning impatience and lynch him if he continues to lurk.

On the other hand, some kind of pressure needs to be put on truncator to post something of substance and actually respond to the questions posed to him. So far, his answers seem to go along the lines of "sorry, but it's done now, deal with it." He also claims to have generated information from the vote and its subsequent events, but doesn't tell us what this is.

Theoretically, I guess truncator wouldn't have to claim if he were put at L-1 until he thought there was significant risk of his lynch.

Albert, on a quick re-read of the game, it appears you've completely avoided the truncator issue, besides seconding my question of truncator in post 95. Instead, you have cast suspicion on WindFish. Any reason for this avoidance? What are your thoughts on truncator at the moment?
LlamaHunter
LlamaHunter
Townie
LlamaHunter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #105 (ISO) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Post by LlamaHunter »

EBWOP:
Albert, on a quick re-read of the game, it appears you've completely avoided the truncator issue, besides seconding my question of truncator in post 95. Instead, you have cast suspicion on
Yosarian
. Any reason for this avoidance? What are your thoughts on truncator at the moment?
truncator
truncator
Townie
truncator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #106 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:01 am

Post by truncator »

LlamaHunter wrote:EBWOP:
Albert, on a quick re-read of the game, it appears you've completely avoided the truncator issue, besides seconding my question of truncator in post 95. Instead, you have cast suspicion on
Yosarian
. Any reason for this avoidance? What are your thoughts on truncator at the moment?
Maybe he's quiet because he is enjoying watching the paranoid town mob jump on the Lynch Truncator bandwagon and accomplishing his dirty work in the meantime. Put me at -1 and whomever casts the 4th vote, remember them. Remember the 3rd vote as well.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #107 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 am

Post by WindFish »

trunc, your vote is presently cast on pickemgenius and the only one remaining on him. You claim it was a probing vote, just to see reactions.

Who are you suspecting is scum? Do you consider pickem's actions to be scummy? Give me something to work with, and I'll unvote my vote from you.
truncator
truncator
Townie
truncator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #108 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:47 am

Post by truncator »

Right now, I think my vote needs to stay on pickemgenius. He is working awfully hard to rally folks against me and possibly give the scum the edge by Day 2.

I have faith in windfish and Albert right now, but I think Albert still needs to be watched.

I think thedocsalive is ok, but I continue to read his posts as narrated by Keanu Reeves. That's kind of strange.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #109 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:13 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

truncator wrote: Maybe he's quiet because he is enjoying watching the paranoid town mob jump on the Lynch Truncator bandwagon and accomplishing his dirty work in the meantime. Put me at -1 and whomever casts the 4th vote, remember them. Remember the 3rd vote as well.
If you're town, you need to actually defend yourself and answer questions. Don't try to pull a "I'm not going to defend myself on purpose because then we'll see who lynches me and that'll show who the scum are!" thing. That dosn't work, because if you look scummy and refuse to answer questions about your actions, then anyone, town OR scum, WILL vote for you, and so who votes for you won't give the town any information. In fact, if a pro-town person keeps doing that, scum are likely to just sit back and watch as you tie the noose around your own neck. Not only that, I see scum try to pull the "I'm acting scummy on purpose!" defense all the time, so the fact that you're doing it dosn't give me a lot of confidence in you.

If you don't try to actually defend yourself/answer questions/state who you think is scum very, very soon, we WILL lynch you.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #110 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:21 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

I share Yosarian's views on the question.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
LlamaHunter
LlamaHunter
Townie
LlamaHunter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #111 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Post by LlamaHunter »

truncator wrote:
Albert, on a quick re-read of the game, it appears you've completely avoided the truncator issue, besides seconding my question of truncator in post 95. Instead, you have cast suspicion on Yosarian. Any reason for this avoidance? What are your thoughts on truncator at the moment?
Maybe he's quiet because he is enjoying watching the paranoid town mob jump on the Lynch Truncator bandwagon and accomplishing his dirty work in the meantime. Put me at -1 and whomever casts the 4th vote, remember them. Remember the 3rd vote as well.
You should probably let Albert answer his own questions, instead of just throwing suspicion around. Even better, answer the questions directed at you instead of the ones directed at Albert.

Albert, I refer you to post 104-105's questions.

Truncator, why the faith in WindFish and Albert? Is it to do with your 3rd vote?
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #112 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:18 pm

Like Yosarian, I believe truncator shouldn't act scummy on purpose, or he will have my vote too. For now he is treading on dangerous grounds, but isn't satisfactory for a lynch.

My vote on WF could be because he followed my lead and unvoted, maybe to avoid suspicion.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
truncator
truncator
Townie
truncator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #113 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:48 pm

Post by truncator »

Yosarian2 wrote:
If you don't try to actually defend yourself/answer questions/state who you think is scum very, very soon, we WILL lynch you.
Did you not see post 108 right before you posted this?
truncator
truncator
Townie
truncator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #114 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:50 pm

Post by truncator »

I don't see how I'm acting "scummy" on purpose. I told y'all how I felt about things.
truncator
truncator
Townie
truncator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #115 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:51 pm

Post by truncator »

LlamaHunter wrote:
Truncator, why the faith in WindFish and Albert? Is it to do with your 3rd vote?
yes. still not sure about Albert though. I'm not sure why, but something isn't all right.
pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #116 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:53 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

I don't believe you defended yourself.

You just threw around names.

And as Llama said why do you trust Windfish/Albert so much?

Also you didn't mention Yos?
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

(1:55:21 AM) ahallucinogenic: it's perfectly normal for young children to walk in on their parents making love

STREAMING:

pickemgenius
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
pickemgenius
Jack the Tripper
Jack the Tripper

Post Post #117 (ISO) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:54 pm

Post by pickemgenius »

EBWOP: Simulpost.

Ignore Llama part.
Show
Rumpelstiltskin Grinder

STREAMING:

WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:00 am

Post by WindFish »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:My vote on WF could be because he followed my lead and unvoted, maybe to avoid suspicion.
Where did this happen? Other than my 1st random vote on Yos, I've kept my vote on trunc.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #119 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:07 am

WindFish wrote:
Albert B. Rampage wrote:My vote on WF could be because he followed my lead and unvoted, maybe to avoid suspicion.
Where did this happen? Other than my 1st random vote on Yos, I've kept my vote on trunc.
Nah, random vote. Wow, my reason didn't make sense whatsoever.
thedocsalive
thedocsalive
Goon
thedocsalive
Goon
Goon

Post Post #120 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:32 am

Post by thedocsalive »

WindFish wrote:I suppose it feels like a long time that I went without posting. (I felt the same when I called out for a prod when notehead went AWOL for several pages even though it was over a weekend in earth-time.) I did pre-excuse my lack of activity by being busy with out-of-game business. So while I understand that my failure to post during the Yosarian/truncator q&a interchange may have disappointed you, I think I've demonstrated signficant pro-town vigilance, posting a lot previously to my going-away post. (Even disregarding my grammar-correcting triple post. :o)
Yes, it can be partially attributed to the subjective what "feels" like a long time. And overall, in terms of quantity, you have posted sufficiently that I can't criticize it.
Windfish wrote:
thedocsalive wrote:While I wouldn't lynch him for that alone, I do think it's suspicious how little he has posted throughout the game. Other than the discussion about the phrase "pressure balance," I think we have very little content from Windfish, which is bad.
3 of 24 posts on page 1.
2 of 24 posts on page 2.
4 of 24 posts on page 3. (2 if you neglect the triplepost)
2 of 24 posts on page 3. (1 of which is notifying I'll be away.)

So I don't think my participation rate has actually changed drastically. If what I've posted has been devoid of useful content, I'll work to improve that.
Yes, I was arguing in terms of content throughout the game. Before your most recent posts (looking back to where I was arguing), you had the bit about pressure balance, a post against Albert's case on Yos, but not much else. The argument I have here is purely subjective however, and it may be that you actually had good content based on how brief the game had been running at the time. Maybe it just seems to me like you didn't post as much content as others, and maybe it's that others didn't post much content as well, but you stood out to me for whatever reason.
pickemgenius wrote:What do you think could be accomplished/would happen if somebody put a third vote on truncator?
We would probably clamor for a roleclaim, he hopefully would claim, and then we'd evaluate that before moving on with lynching him or looking elsewhere. Yes, it would probably create more discussion, as you said.
LlamaHunter wrote:Theoretically, I guess truncator wouldn't have to claim if he were put at L-1 until he thought there was significant risk of his lynch.
But that's exactly the point of L-1: you ARE at significant risk of lynch.
Yosarian2 wrote:If you're town, you need to actually defend yourself and answer questions. Don't try to pull a "I'm not going to defend myself on purpose because then we'll see who lynches me and that'll show who the scum are!" thing. That dosn't work, because if you look scummy and refuse to answer questions about your actions, then anyone, town OR scum, WILL vote for you, and so who votes for you won't give the town any information. In fact, if a pro-town person keeps doing that, scum are likely to just sit back and watch as you tie the noose around your own neck. Not only that, I see scum try to pull the "I'm acting scummy on purpose!" defense all the time, so the fact that you're doing it dosn't give me a lot of confidence in you.
Sorry to just say this after such a long quote, but ^^QFT. I was going to say something like this, but Yos said it very well. As far as I can tell, truncator still hasn't answered Yos' questions:
Yosarian2 wrote:If you wanted a reaction from him, or from others, if you wanted to scare him or shake him up to see what he would do, then why not make a bigger deal out of it?

I could see a pro-town person intentioanlly trying a risky play just to shake things up and see how different people respond, but if you were trying to shake things up, why make it look like a meaningless random vote instead of making it more clear that you were bandwagoning?

You claim you knew what you were doing, and claim that you would do the exact same thing again, so if you could explain to me WHY you would do it the same way again it'd help me understand your thought process.
While I felt okay about truncator earlier, his recent failure to respond to these questions bothers me.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #121 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:52 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

truncator wrote:I don't see how I'm acting "scummy" on purpose. I told y'all how I felt about things.
Truncator: Isn't that what you said, right here?
truncator wrote:
Yosarian
You said you were not answering the questions because you wanted "the paranoid town mob" to "jump on the lynch trucator bandwagon", on the theory that would give information based on who the 3rd and 4th votes are. That sounds like you were claiming you were refusing to answer the questions because you WANTED to look scummy so people would vote for you, which, like I said, makes absolutly no sense.

Now, is there some reason you're refusing to answer my questions?
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
truncator
truncator
Townie
truncator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #122 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:55 am

Post by truncator »

Yosarian2 wrote:
truncator wrote:I don't see how I'm acting "scummy" on purpose. I told y'all how I felt about things.
Truncator: Isn't that what you said, right here?
truncator wrote:
Yosarian
Maybe
he's
quiet because he is enjoying watching the paranoid town mob jump on the Lynch Truncator bandwagon and accomplishing his dirty work in the meantime. Put me at -1 and whomever casts the 4th vote, remember them. Remember the 3rd vote as well.
You said you were not answering the questions because you wanted "the paranoid town mob" to "jump on the lynch trucator bandwagon", on the theory that would give information based on who the 3rd and 4th votes are. That sounds like you were claiming you were refusing to answer the questions because you WANTED to look scummy so people would vote for you, which, like I said, makes absolutly no sense.

Now, is there some reason you're refusing to answer my questions?
Yes, I said that. But I don't talk about myself in the third person. I'm not a professional athlete. haha

He=Albert from the post I was quoting. I can see why you thought I was trying to act scummy by avoiding a question while giving a smartass answer. But that's not what I was doing.
truncator
truncator
Townie
truncator
Townie
Townie

Post Post #123 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:00 am

Post by truncator »

I could see a pro-town person intentioanlly trying a risky play just to shake things up and see how different people respond, but if you were trying to shake things up, why make it look like a meaningless random vote instead of making it more clear that you were bandwagoning?
I really didn't think I would have to spell this out, but why make a big deal about it? I achieved the same effect while playing it cool. More so than I ever dreamed. I really didn't expect this much reaction out of it. I'm not much of a bold type yeller anyway.

I really just wanted to see who was paying attention and how everyone would react. All said, I think we got on the right track by luck. I still think pickemgenius is scum.
LlamaHunter
LlamaHunter
Townie
LlamaHunter
Townie
Townie

Post Post #124 (ISO) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:40 pm

Post by LlamaHunter »

thedocsalive wrote:
Llamahunter wrote:Theoretically, I guess truncator wouldn't have to claim if he were put at L-1 until he thought there was significant risk of his lynch.
But that's exactly the point of L-1: you ARE at significant risk of lynch.
Sorry, I probably didn't make my point completely clear. What I meant was, he wouldn't have to claim until he
himself
thought there was a risk of his lynch. At the time, even at L-1, I don't know if he would have considered it likely that he would be hammered. From what I see though, his sentiments have now changed, and it looks like he thinks he's going to be lynched no matter what: "Put me at -1 and whomever casts the 4th vote, remember them. Remember the 3rd vote as well." I'm not quite sure where that leaves us, however.

On the other hand, if we put him at L-1, no one's explicitly stated any actual desire to lynch him, besides Yosarian:
Yosarian2 wrote:If you don't try to actually defend yourself/answer questions/state who you think is scum very, very soon, we WILL lynch you.
However, I interpret this to be a sentiment arising from misinterpreting truncator's post 106, and therefore possibly will be reconsidered. I initially didn't understand why Yosarian replied as he did in post 109, but now I see how truncator's post could be misinterpreted.

Truncator, you say pickemgenius is scum and WindFish/Albert have your faith (post 108). In post 76, however, you say: "At least now I have a pretty good idea of where you stand," referring to Yosarian. If you have a pretty good idea, do you think Yosarian is scum or town (I'm assuming town), and did things change between post 76 and 108? If so, what changed, and if not, why not list him in post 108?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”