Newbie 476: Slow, slow, slow, then FAST and over. Damn.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #50 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:41 am

Post by jmar »

I'm really suspicious of Korlash right now. To answer your question "When did I say Torn was Mith's backup," you said that Mith was at the top of your list, then you ended your post by saying if you had to vote it would be for Mith or Torn. Also I think a big part of my suspicion is I disagree with you completely on Torn's statement. I think he was stating that as what he thought, not actively trying to tell other people how to play. Too early for me to make a formal vote yet but my FOS has turned into a
slightly larger FOS
"Nobody fucks with the Jesus."
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #51 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:36 am

Post by MeMe »

The "Nothing's Changed"
Vote Count

jmar
(1):
Sir Tornado

Sir Tornado
(1):
jmar

stephy_nz
(1):
havok95

No Lynch
(1):
stephy_nz

not voting
(3):
Holy, Korlash, mith

Lynch at four.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #52 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:52 am

Post by Korlash »

Ok... I just find it funny your turning me saying Sir Torny is suspicious into an "Attack" (sorta) on me when your the only one who is actually voting for him ATM.

As for backup... My top two doesn't automattically mean I think they are working together. In this case, they could be (Not enough to go on) but I havn't really seen a connection between them...

In fact if I had to guess a partnership... this early... I would say Jmar and Sir Torn the most likely. My reasoning: One of the biggest things I do as mafia, and I do it a lot, is I vote for my partner, early. In turn I often get my partner voting me either right after that, or very soon after. So when two people vote each other on page one, using the old OMGUS thing, then it peeks my interest.

BUT! Because sir Torn's vote was random it kills this theory. Which is why I don't have a vote up yet.
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #53 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:23 am

Post by jmar »

That may be what you do, but that's not how I play scum. In fact I avoid doing that because I feel it draws attention (kinda like how you just pointed it out). But this could turn into a whole WIFOM thing. Anyways, I never said that you thought Sir Torn and Mith were working together, or that you "attacked" Sir Torn. I simply said I found it suspicious, which is what you were also doing, no?

BTW, never thought I'd have an OMGUS turned against me- pretty funny really.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #54 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:09 am

Post by Korlash »

Again I'm nto trying to turn it against you. The above argument can;t apply to a random vote.

Also the term "backup" I took to mean partner. If thats not what your implying then my bad.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #55 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:13 am

Post by jmar »

Nah, I meant it like if you weren't voting for Mith, Sir Tornado was your backup.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #56 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:38 am

Post by Korlash »

Ohhh ok... that makes sense...

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #57 (ISO) » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:38 pm

Post by mith »

Bleh, I was planning to post something yesterday, but we ended up going to Tate Modern, and now we're about to go to the movies. But I'll reread/post tonight sometime.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #58 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:02 am

Post by Korlash »

So you think the movies are more important then us? ;_; I feel so unloved...

Also I am now hungry for popcorn... Weird...

mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #59 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:17 am

Post by mith »

Bleh again. Got back later than I expected. And my brain is slightly fried from watching so many movies.

I don't really have a lot to say at the moment, anyway. I want to see more from stephy_nz and havok95 (and I want Holy to start contributing something of substance...). Korlash is mildly suspect, and I'm pretty happy with Sir Tornado and jmar for now.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #60 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:38 pm

Post by jmar »

I'd like to see some more input from havok, stephy, and Holy as well. Guys, any thoughts on the proceedings thus far?
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #61 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Post by Korlash »

Well the Proceedings so far have been nice. I think it coulda been sped up a bit though... And she looked so lovely with her gown on... ;_;

Also... What? Just cause I'm suspect your not happy with me? I try and I try and you just don't appreciate me! Thats it! This relationship is over! OVER!

... Goes to the movies and doesn't even bring me back popcorn... Sniff... The jerk...

Holy
Holy
Goon
Holy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #62 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Post by Holy »

Actually I'm waiting for post from stephy_nz and havok95 too... Especially from stephy_nz, because my FOS is still at her right now, and I want to know more about her thoughts before I decide my vote.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #63 (ISO) » Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Post by Korlash »

I actually would put my FoS on Havok... At least we know something about Stephy... Unknowns are dangerous... and scary... and kinda boring... *poke*

How long till Havok gets prodded?

havok95
havok95
Townie
havok95
Townie
Townie

Post Post #64 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:10 am

Post by havok95 »

Sorry guys, I had an exam today, and I had to give myself enough time to get high and watch Swingers instead of studying. Most of what I've seen in the last page or so has been probability talk, which needs to end right now. Everyone has a 2/7 chance of being scum BEFORE THEY START POSTING. Once that happens, the chances that they are scum could increase or decrease (if they display scum tells left and right, for instance, the chance is better than 2/7).

I'll reread the actual game talk now and have a post in about half an hour.
havok95
havok95
Townie
havok95
Townie
Townie

Post Post #65 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:51 am

Post by havok95 »

Okay, so it takes longer than I thought to read and reread three pages of arguments about coin-flipping. Here's a rundown of stuff I came across that I found interesting:

(NOTE: I read everyone's posts all together and then wrote my thoughts on them, that's why it's grouped into questions/thoughts on each player; I'm not trying to pick on anyone)

-jmar OMGUS voted Tornado and hasn't unvoted yet; do you actually think OMGUS is a good way to decide who to vote for? Or is that just a joking vote, in which case, why haven't you unvoted?
-jmar also agreed with stephy_nz's logic in post 21, then asked Korlash why he assumed stephy was town in post 25. Although in 21 jmar doesn't quite say stephy is pro-town, it is sort of implied, I think. jmar, what's your opinion on stephy_nz?
-jmar speculated briefly about the doctor's night choice; this is a bad, bad idea. The things we don't know about said choice could fill a warehouse; we don't know if there even is a doc, we don't know who said doc is, we don't know what they think about everyone in the game, we don't know what they will think at the end of day 1, and it's just another application of WIFOM.
-jmar suggested that Mith is a resource to the town, which is not necessarily true; just because he is IC doesn't make him any more useful than the other townies
-I don't have enough on jmar yet to vote or even FOS him, but I would not be surprised if he turned up scum.

-Korlash has mostly looked good in my eyes; he seems to be actively scum-hunting. I think he might be enjoying the game a little too much; the constant jokes could possibly be an attempt at distraction from scum tells (or, maybe he smoked too much hash before posting, who knows?). I wouldn't have a beer with him, but I put him in the town column for now.
-One thing Korlash mentioned was that he trusted stephy and distrusted Mith due to his gut. While evidence and scum tells are great for weeding out the mafia, I have found gut to be very helpful (ICS, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG). I would be quite hesitant to vote someone who I felt in my gut was town, even if they had displayed scum tells. I don't think any of us should abandon our gut, is all I'm saying.

-Sir_Tornado seems to have quieted down. One thing I wonder though--he agreed with mith in post 32 that rolling dice is a bad way to vote. He still hasn't unvoted, though. Slight FOS; of course, it's possible that he's just really busy and hasn't had time to post, like me/Holy/stephy; or maybe he's lurking because he's scum and he got called out on the first couple of pages (WIFOM alert!).

-stephy_nz, when you come back, we need to hear your thoughts on your no-lynch vote after the explanations from a couple of players as to why that's a bad idea. Do you still think no-lynch is the best idea? If you do, stick to it, but weigh the evidence.

-We also need more from Holy, who seems to just post without substance (as Mith put it); by the way, Holy, saying "It's my first game too but I would rather lynch than no-lynch, stephy must be scum!" is WIFOM.

-Mith, I have a similar feeling about you as I do about jmar and Tornado, that any of you are acting townie now, but could easily be scum. I'm going to
unvote: stephy_nz
, because she hasn't done anything scummy and if she gets replaced I'll unvote her replacement anyway. I'm not going to vote anyone yet because I'm still not sure. I'll wait and see how everyone reacts to this post.
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #66 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:48 am

Post by mith »

Players tend to go too far one way or another with the gut issue - either they demand a logical case for everything, or they rely solely on their gut and don't explain anything. Somewhere in between is more appropriate. Personally, I tend to let my gut guide me to a suspect, and then look for the evidence to back it up.

Pretty happy with that post overall. I'll probably decide on a vote when I get back from Brighton tomorrow night.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #67 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:38 am

Post by Korlash »

I agree with that too. I unfortunately, in another game, put a vote based on my gut feelings an people asked me why I would vote someone for no reason. So I told them little tiny details and what not and they turned it around saying my "attack" Is BS and scummy. So, while I trust my gut, I never vote on it unless I get hard evidence... I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who at least uses his gut every now and then.

And wow... I did not expect Havok to be all... Smart like and what not... Kudos for us...

Also I don't get high... Geeze... I just think jokes help keep the mood calm and stuff... I've seen some pretty bad flaming in a few mafia games and people just get so mad and start to kill each other off for no reason... I don't want to see that here so... Jokes!

So sorry if you don't like it but its how I play...

Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #68 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:44 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

havok95 wrote: -Sir_Tornado seems to have quieted down. One thing I wonder though--he agreed with mith in post 32 that rolling dice is a bad way to vote. He still hasn't unvoted, though. Slight FOS; of course, it's possible that he's just really busy and hasn't had time to post, like me/Holy/stephy; or maybe he's lurking because he's scum and he got called out on the first couple of pages (WIFOM alert!).
Yes, I tend to do that. I usually post in quite a bit in short time and disappear for a while till I get inspired again.

The vote stays because, well, it was random, and everyone one has, in fact not posted yet, which is when I take off the random vote. (either that, or the first VC, whichever is later)
havok95 wrote:I would be quite hesitant to vote someone who I felt in my gut was town, even if they had displayed scum tells. I don't think any of us should abandon our gut, is all I'm saying.
I try to follow scum tells, unless it is a LyLo, because I have lost a couple of games precisely because of ignoring my gut feeling and voting the scummiest player... (who I really, really thought was a townie, but looked quite scummy)
I'm back!
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #69 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:10 pm

Post by jmar »

Responding to havok:

-The doc comment was integral to my point of why the scum would want to kill Mith off by lynch.

-I think mith is much more of a resource than any of the newbie townies if he is town simply because of his experience. He's played a lot more games than any of us and knows more scum tells and behavior.

-Also, please explain to me why you think my agreeing with stephy's post makes me think she's pro-town? I never said anything of the sort- that's a huge leap in logic.

-Sir Tornado hasn't unvoted me, you didn't unvote stephy until just now, so what's your point? It was an OMGUS vote and that hasn't changed. I'm not ready to seriously vote for anybody yet.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #70 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Post by jmar »

Responding to havok:

-The doc comment was integral to my point of why the scum would want to kill Mith off by lynch.

-I think mith is much more of a resource than any of the newbie townies if he is town simply because of his experience. He's played a lot more games than any of us and knows more scum tells and behavior.

-Also, please explain to me why you think my agreeing with stephy's post makes me think she's pro-town? I never said anything of the sort- that's a huge leap in logic.

-Sir Tornado hasn't unvoted me, you didn't unvote stephy until just now, so what's your point? It was an OMGUS vote and that hasn't changed. I'm not ready to seriously vote for anybody yet.
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #71 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:11 pm

Post by jmar »

Oops, sorry for double post... bad connection.
Holy
Holy
Goon
Holy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #72 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:14 pm

Post by Holy »

Well havok95, because my suspect doesn't post, what can I say... Saying imaginary things...? Nahh..

I still put other players in Town column for now (so, what can I say..., accuse Them for looks like Town...? errr...), except for Mith, I can't find any clue which side is He might be at all...

Maybe I should re-read..., there's something I missed maybe...
havok95
havok95
Townie
havok95
Townie
Townie

Post Post #73 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Post by havok95 »

jmar wrote:The doc comment was integral to my point of why the scum would want to kill Mith off by lynch.
Can you really not see why this is WIFOM and quite pointless?
jmar wrote:Also, please explain to me why you think my agreeing with stephy's post makes me think she's pro-town? I never said anything of the sort- that's a huge leap in logic.
I wouldn't call it huge, but yeah, it's a bit of a leap. Still, you jumped on Korlash pretty quickly when he said he thought stephy was town, and you didn't seem to shwo any signs of doubting her townness, that's all.
jmar wrote:Sir Tornado hasn't unvoted me, you didn't unvote stephy until just now, so what's your point? It was an OMGUS vote and that hasn't changed. I'm not ready to seriously vote for anybody yet.
A) I unvoted stephy because a couple other suspects popped up and she hadn't done anything scummy; B)I still agreed with my reason for voting stephy (I still think random votes are a good idea) and Sir_Tornado has said he disagreed with random voting; C)Aren't OMGUS votes a BAD thing? Can someone help me here? I thought OMGUS voting was a sign of desperation and a scum tell.

Oh, and Tornado already defended himself. You don't have to do it for him.

For reacting exactly how I thought a mafioso would,
FOS: jmar
for now.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #74 (ISO) » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:45 pm

Post by Korlash »

Well in my opinion OMGUS votes aren't always a scum tell... I mean like jmar did it it was more a random vote then anything. Just a random vote that had a small reasoning behind it... Like a dice role.. just... a one sided dice... ><

So I don;t see it as ALWAYS being desperation... sure MAfia could use it a lot but a OMGUS vote right off the bat doesn;t mean anything this early... Sure in another 4 or 6 pages if his OMGUS vote is still on then yeah... I might its weird...

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”