Newbie 476: Slow, slow, slow, then FAST and over. Damn.

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Newbie 476: Slow, slow, slow, then FAST and over. Damn.

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:38 am

Post by MeMe »

What a nasty little town this has become. Mafia have arrived and are systematically gunning down the nice townfolk. What should decent, smart people do?
MOVE
, of course. What are YOU gonna do? Try to figure out who the bad guys are and lynch 'em during the daylight! I'm not kidding, folks. That's the plan. Deal with it.

Alive (2)

Korlash
Mafia

Sir Tornado
Mafia

Dead (5)

Holy
Townie
- lynched Day 1
mith
Doctor
- killed Night 1
jmar
Townie
- lynched Day 2
havok95
Townie
- killed in Endgame
lionden_56 (replaces stephy_nz)
Townie
- killed in Endgame

No current deadline

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One of the following four set-ups is used for this game:

a) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 1 doc, 3 townies
b) 2 mafia, 1 cop, 4 townies
c) 2 mafia, 1 doc, 4 townies
d) 2 mafia, 5 townies

Note: in view of the number of players, we will start in the day phase, although most larger games start with a night. The mafia will be allowed to communicate pre-game, though no role will submit choices until Day 1 is over.

Possible roles:

You are the mafia
. You may only talk with each other during the game's "night," not during the "day." You let me know before the night's deadline who will be your victim. You win the game when all the other players are dead. As we start the game during the day phase, no choice is necessary at this time, but feel free to communicate with your partner until Day 1 begins.

You are the cop
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and I will let you know whether that player is mafia or not. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are the doctor
. Every "night" before the deadline you send me a message with a name of your choice, and that player cannot die if attacked by the mafia that night. You cannot heal yourself. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.

You are a townie
. You are not allowed to communicate with any of the other players outside the thread. You win the game when the mafia are dead.
Last edited by MeMe on Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:23 am, edited 10 times in total.
Remember...It's not a lie if you believe it. -- G. Costanza
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:39 am

Post by MeMe »

The Rules
:
  • Votes must be in
    bold
    . If you do not bold your vote, it will not be counted.
  • Please be attentive and
    unvote
    , if necessary, before casting a new vote. This is not
    required
    , but I’d appreciate it.
  • Executions will require a simple majority of votes. Once a player has reached the necessary majority, his pleas are useless and any attempts to unvote will be unheeded. You may
    vote: no lynch
    – majority votes of this kind are necessary to end the day without a death.
  • The game is not to be discussed outside of the thread unless your role specifically states that you may do so.
  • Once your death scene has been posted, you’re dead. Stop typing.
  • Don’t edit/delete previously submitted posts
  • Don’t quote any PMs from me.
  • If you have a night choice to make, it is due by the posted deadline. I will not wait for you – if you do not submit a choice to me, tough! No choice will be made.
  • If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
  • Remember, it’s a game. It’s supposed to played. It’s supposed to be
    fun
    . Do your part.
MeMe
MeMe
Post or Perish
MeMe
Post or Perish
Post or Perish

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:04 am

Post by MeMe »

All confirmations have been received -- seven alive means four votes will lynch.

Game on!
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:27 am

Post by jmar »

Just a post to lead things off since I can't seem to find a "watch topic" button.
"Nobody fucks with the Jesus."
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:36 am

Post by Korlash »

Yeah I keep looking for one of those... I'll find it someday... maybe...
It's not my job to be right, it's my job to be convincing.

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:55 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

Original Roll String: 1d6
1 6-Sided Dice: (2) = 2
I'm back!
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:56 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

Vote jmar
I'm back!
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 am

Post by jmar »

<b>OMGUS Vote Sir Tornado</b>
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:53 am

Post by jmar »

Oops, someone wanna let me know how to do bold?
stephy_nz
stephy_nz
Townie
stephy_nz
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:20 pm

Post by stephy_nz »

This is my first game here lol

don't know what to say, just want to come here and say hi~
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:27 pm

Post by Korlash »

to bold its:
~~~[ /b] Not the <>

And Hi Stephy *waves*

Star Trek Voyager Mafia! Ends in a Starfleet victory! Pomp, Circumstance, and Bloodwine for all!
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:35 pm

Post by jmar »

Ah okay.

Then
OMGUS Vote Sir Tornado
havok95
havok95
Townie
havok95
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:14 pm

Post by havok95 »

Thanks to random.org, I will
vote stephy_nz
, but I'm not married to my vote by any means.
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:59 pm

Post by Korlash »

Thats good to know... I hear that thing is illegal in 20 countries and all 50 states...

Holy
Holy
Goon
Holy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:31 pm

Post by Holy »

First game... :mrgreen:
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:46 pm

Post by mith »

(The watch topic link is at the bottom of the page, on the left side.)

Sir Tornado, do you really believe that truly random votes have any purpose in a Mafia game, or have you just been sucked in by their prevalance? Also, are you Mafia?

Korlash, that made me smile. Though, I wouldn't be so sure about Arkansas.

stephy_nz: If you had to decide right now who the scum are and your life depended on it, who would you say?
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:02 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

mith wrote: Sir Tornado, do you really believe that truly random votes have any purpose in a Mafia game, or have you just been sucked in by their prevalance? Also, are you Mafia?
I actually don't think random votes have all that purpose in a mafia game, except that someone always seems to make some sort of mistake/comment in the random voting stage which leads the game out of random voting stage and into a period of play with real substance. I usually do not "random" vote in a game, my first vote is almost always made on people with whom I have played a game before with a non existent logic, or a OMGUS vote.

And, no I am not scum (but my answer would have remained the same here even if I were scum...)
I'm back!
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:52 am

Post by Korlash »

Yeah thats something I haven't learned yet... How to pull the game out of the random phase and into real play. I normally forgo the random vote though.

Also thanks ;) I've been looking for that pesky button!

stephy_nz
stephy_nz
Townie
stephy_nz
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:38 pm

Post by stephy_nz »

7 player and there is 2 scums.

If random vote, only 30% that we can lynch a scum.

If one townie is lynched in DAY 1, Scum kills one, then it is 3:2... and Scums know each other. Therefore I think the problem is, should we lynch anyone in DAY 1?

VOTE:NO LYNCH

RE: Mith,
Honestly, I cannot tell who is the scum from the beginning. But I may find out later in the game..... :D
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:28 am

Post by mith »

No Lynch + Day 1 = Terrible idea. I could run numbers on it, but basically it comes down to this: The lynch is our only way to kill scum. If we no lynch day 1, the scum get a free kill, we have learned nothing, and we have lost a chance at killing the scum. In compensation, we
might
get useful information from the Cop, if there is one, but even that is counteracted by the fact that Day 2 it's 4:2, and it's still lynch-or-lose - so scum could easily fake/counter-claim Cop.

FOS: stephy_nz
for suggesting it, though it's most likely a newbie mistake. Lots of players have been fooled by the call of the no lynch.

I'm not asking you to
be certain
of who the scum are at this point. However, everyone has posted. Read their posts. Use your gut. Make an educated (or uneducated) guess. Your response may (or may not) tell us something in the event that you are scum.

Sir Tornado, if you don't believe your vote was useful, why make it?
Holy
Holy
Goon
Holy
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:01 am

Post by Holy »

While I'm here, I decide to post something to be a little active (and not be dead), although I still don't know where to point my finger at this moment, but I'm sure I'll have my suspect sooner or later...
jmar
jmar
Goon
jmar
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:10 am

Post by jmar »

I think stephy_nz is saying he'd rather no lynch than vote randomly. Which I agree with. But we're not voting randomly, some players just like to start things off that way. By the time Day 1 is over, if we're a good town, we should have discussed our lynch thoroughly.
Sir Tornado
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Sir Tornado
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:36 am

Post by Sir Tornado »

mith wrote: Sir Tornado, if you don't believe your vote was useful, why make it?
Because, if you don't make up a vote, or do something similar to get responses from people, the game never actually gets underway.

Stephy_nz: The problem with a no lynch D1 is, that baring a cop investigation, almost the same logic applies to D2. A no lynch can't be our strategy because:

1) We have only 50% chance of having a cop in this setup, with a further 33.33% chance of him getting a scum investigation N1. That is much less than the 30% chance for getting scum lynched on D1.

2) A no-lynch combined with a scum NK not only gives the scum the opportunity to escape into D2 without any sort suspicion on them, but also means that the game, for town begins with 6 instead of 7 players.

3) Even if a townie is lynched on D1, you can find the scum by looking at the way in which the said townie was lynched.

And, at the end of the day, we are not going to randomly lynch the scum on D1.
I'm back!
mith
mith
Godfather
mith
Godfather
Godfather

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:56 am

Post by mith »

I hope I have demonstrated that you can get responses from people without a vote. But I would also like to get across to the new players (and to you) that rolling dice is a terrible way to start the game.

If I see you make an
apparently
random vote, or if I ask a particular player a question, or if stephy_nz tells us who she thinks the scum are (even at this very early stage) - that's all information. If I can see that your vote is truly random, however, it tells me nothing but that you think a vote is required at this point and you think rolling dice is an acceptable start.

Random voting is the crutch of the player that hasn't considered the alternatives.

[/soap box]

jmar, I don't think that's what she was saying. But stephy_nz, could you clarify?
Korlash
Korlash
Krap Logick
Korlash
Krap Logick
Krap Logick

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:21 am

Post by Korlash »

If I had to use my gut I would vote for Mith.. Mostly cause I always fear the smart helpful people...

I wouldn't mind a bit more from Holy and Havok before I start my voting stage...

My early views... Stephy is just a new player... Probably town from my experience... Holy I can't say for certain... Maybe a new player who doesn't want to say too much because its her first time as mafia... Maybe just doesn't want to attract any attention to herself... Sir Tornado... Could go either way... I haven't actually seen anything scummy from him yet but his comment about getting the game underway makes me suspicious. I know a lot of ways to get the game underway... Most of them actually ends up getting me lynched... but hey... it still works... jmar... Eh.. Hes shown his inexperience and hasn't said much to stand out.

Then we have Mith... Who... Um... probably one of the smartest players on the forum... So again I can't say for certain...

So I'm going to remain voteless and see where the discussion gets us. But if I had to vote I would throw it on Sir Torn or Mith... I'm sure that will change by the time I actually vote though..

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”