Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1975 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:02 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

Kison wrote:Lie Detector is an interesting role, and I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere else. I'd not mind seeing it toyed with again in the future.
I first saw it used by amb in his first Deep South Mafia game on the Grey Labyrinth. I added the restriction that the role stopped working if it became public.

I have used it before - with identical restrictions - in Mini 250: Villains of Gotham City. That game also featured a Batman Miller-type role who would kill anyone who killed him at night (i.e. Darth Vader in this game).
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1976 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:05 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

PokerFace wrote:I like how Von Hellsing was naive and Macarthur was paranoid like. Makes sence with those characters.
Van Helsing was not Paranoid, he was Sane. There just weren't any Vampires in the game.
Claus wrote:I had myself pegged as paranoid from the pre-game. I still crumbed my results, though.
True -- he said so in his confirmation PM.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1977 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:39 am

Post by cicero »

I had a safe claim of Don Quixote, Giant Hunter, that I really wanted to use. I even breadcrumbed it. Was considering on saying I was paranoid.

Stoof, the fast pace wasnt just about the deadlines. It was about the power roles. That's what made this game fun. All the power roles. I disagree that it needed more vanilla. It was a perfect game exactly as it was.

I'm not saying all games should be like this. But the whole idea of a super-powered game like this was really fun. I feel bad for Kison though. The one vanilla townie. lol.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1978 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:49 am

Post by The Fonz »

I think it needed more vanilla. There was literally nothing scum could claim at the end. If there'd been, say, three vanilla, then scum could safely claim. Also, some of the town roles were so specific or obscure, you pretty much knew they were genuine as soon as they were claimed because no-one but Stoofer would have come up with them.

Though on the day of the second no-lynch, I was pissed off it went to night before I could make my 'Chuck Norris, awesome protector' roleclaim and claim to be the reason every time anyone didn't die at night.
cicero
cicero
Oratoreador
cicero
Oratoreador
Oratoreador

Post Post #1979 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:07 am

Post by cicero »

Sure there was something scum could claim - Stephen Maturin, Pirate Protector. We were just all too dumb to catch it.

We also could have changed the game just by killing CES instead of Kison when we did.

And even as it was, scum still coulda been smart enough to push a joint scum win via happily ever after.

I wouldnt have changed the game just to allow scum to safe claim at the end. Really the game went the way it did at the end through a series of sub-optimal player choices. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1980 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:13 am

Post by The Fonz »

cicero wrote:Sure there was something scum could claim - Stephen Maturin, Pirate Protector. We were just all too dumb to catch it.

We also could have changed the game just by killing CES instead of Kison when we did.

And even as it was, scum still coulda been smart enough to push a joint scum win via happily ever after.

I wouldnt have changed the game just to allow scum to safe claim at the end. Really the game went the way it did at the end through a series of sub-optimal player choices. That's the way the cookie crumbles.
If we'd struck CES, there'd still have been a massclaim, and Kison's rolename fell into the couldn't make it up category. If the only roleclaim that gives you even a shot is the one the town player actually has, then it's a problem.

That town could win because the logic of the game dictated that evenly-matched scumgroups take each other out, even once the town had been whittled down to having only as many as each scumgroup, you have to ask how scum could have won.

The win conditions didn't really allow for a happily ever after joint win- since if everyone died, the town won. If we'd gotten to 1 vs 1 and no town left, that situation STILL bizarrely enough favours a town win, since it's a prisoner's dilemma and both scumgroups are better off killing whatever the other does.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1981 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:07 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

The fun part is... I had never heard about Stephen Maturin. I checked wikipedia and saw that it was related to Jack Aubrey, something/someone I also never heard of, but which was enough for me because that was a dead player when I replaced in.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1982 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:51 am

Post by The Fonz »

Oh, and on the miller topic: anyone who claims miller day one should be lynched. This is because it's too convenient a scum claim. It doesn't require you to prove any night actions, and explains away guilty results on that player. If the meta ever became to allow claimed millers to live, then scum would have a field day.

In this case, claiming miller day one would likely have gotten UA lynched, and if it hadn't, it would have greatly reduced the chances of any scum targetting him at night.

Correct play as cop is hope you look sufficiently pro-town as to avoid investigation, and that you outlive the cop.
Flameaxe
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Flameaxe
Comma Police
Comma Police

Post Post #1983 (ISO) » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:17 pm

Post by Flameaxe »

New threadless Shirt this week...seems fitting for this thread and all...

http://www.threadless.com/product/1201/Epic_Battle
Defined by who I dislike, not who I like~
Skruffs
Skruffs
Pantsman
Skruffs
Pantsman
Pantsman

Post Post #1984 (ISO) » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:56 am

Post by Skruffs »

I still think Stoofer just hates pirates.
Xtoxm
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
Xtoxm
EBWOXM
EBWOXM

Post Post #1985 (ISO) » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:15 pm

Post by Xtoxm »

Yay go town :D
Smooth as silk when he's scum, and very much capable of running things from behind the scenes while appearing to be doing minimal effort. - Almost50
Xtoxm is consistently great - Shosin
you were the only wolf i townread at endgame - the worst
MrBuddyLee
MrBuddyLee
Slightly better than 50-50
MrBuddyLee

Post Post #1986 (ISO) » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:58 am

Post by MrBuddyLee »

cicero wrote:I had a safe claim of Don Quixote, Giant Hunter, that I really wanted to use. I even breadcrumbed it. Was considering on saying I was paranoid.
This is why Iammars had to die, in my opinion. It looked like he confused his safeclaim (a null protector/hunter) with his actual role, then faked confusion.
dialing in mildly protown reads since 2006
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1987 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:57 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

cicero wrote:I had a safe claim of Don Quixote, Giant Hunter, that I really wanted to use. I even breadcrumbed it. Was considering on saying I was paranoid.
Where?
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1988 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:29 am

Post by The Fonz »

He came up with it.
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1989 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:40 am

Post by Lawrencelot »

Then it's no safeclaim...
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
The Fonz
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
The Fonz
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1990 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:56 am

Post by The Fonz »

Yeah, he meant fakeclaim...
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #1991 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:35 pm

Post by Mr Stoofer »

cicero wrote:I had a safe claim of Don Quixote, Giant Hunter, that I really wanted to use.
I even breadcrumbed it
. Was considering on saying I was paranoid.
Where?
PokerFace
PokerFace
Too Useful
PokerFace
Too Useful
Too Useful

Post Post #1992 (ISO) » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:39 am

Post by PokerFace »

Well "practically" naive then. I suppose the game title could make you think only pirates and ninjas existed. And if I HAD TO CHOOSE between just those two, I'd guess Hellsing was a pirate BUT finding vampires could make you think there are vampires and thus more than just pirates and ninjas, but meh mars still did some good playing so I won't fault him especially since I wasn't playing.

. Was considering on saying I was paranoid.
Where?
Found it! Select cicero in the bottom of the page post viewer thing and check his 123rd post, third paragraph.
cicero wrote:What is more likely by far is that Erg0 is, in fact, a vampire, and vampires form yet another scumgroup in the game - although that really seems to be getting crowded. But we don't know how many of each scumgroup there are. Maybe we're facing one goblin, one ninja, one vampire, one pirate and
one giant man eating windmill
. I don't know

Claus did crumb in his first day1 post about the communists and thinking Cicero was one.
Claus wrote:
LoL cicero - I'm preparing for 2008's xmas already. You seem to have something against the Big Capitalist Sale, I think you're a communist. ;-)

But, since we're looking for pirates and ninja, not communists:

vote: Guardian

Discussing the setup is for the weak or the scum.
This would mean Claus got a guilty on cicero and perhaps there may have been a way for someone to make a case that claus was paranoid and cicero was lying. But then again you could just say one of them was insane. So cicero's claim would have been a good and cool one to make, since Don Quixote is cool and he would fit in the game.
When I joined this site, I was a software tester for mobile business applications and the song PokerFace was not yet written by Lady Gaga
Now I test lottery and gambling software as my job. It's funny how my life has turned out. Somewhere a Time Traveler is laughing madly
Twomz
Twomz
Cliqued On
Twomz
Cliqued On
Cliqued On

Post Post #1993 (ISO) » Fri May 09, 2008 5:54 pm

Post by Twomz »

Mr Stoofer wrote:
ooba wrote:And i think you should have made the scum groups a bit more different i.e maybe removed a goblin finder for the town and had it as a 2 member scum group. A bit of differentiation
Yeah, that is my one real regret about this setup.
But that's all the use the town got out of me :(.

GG, and gj on setup mod :D.
"It's not a logical inconsistency. B can't be correct because then C would be, but it doesn't go the other way - there's nothing wrong with C being correct. Aside from Twomz saying otherwise." --Mith

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”