Newbie 35... game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Hell if I gnome

Post Post #125 (ISO) » Mon May 24, 2004 5:16 pm

Post by Mr_Gnome_It_All »

Well, thanks Rick, but I can tell you right now: any analasis of my playing (no matter what game it's in) will almost always end up with me looking bad. What can I say? I prefer to not get myself into any type of playing pattern, but in trying not to, I usually end up getting myself lynched.
Who the hell is "General Failure", and why is he reading my hard drive?
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #126 (ISO) » Mon May 24, 2004 9:29 pm

Post by Talitha »

I'd like to hear Mr Gnome's analysis of this game and the players, if he would be so kind as to share his thoughts!
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #127 (ISO) » Mon May 24, 2004 11:26 pm

Post by Norinel »

Why me? Why him? Why now? If I'm going to do a full-fledged analysis, I'll do it when I have time to look at everyone.
Rick
Rick
Goon
Rick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #128 (ISO) » Tue May 25, 2004 12:33 pm

Post by Rick »

Norinel wrote:Why me?
Because you have just joined this game, and I am just giving you an opportunity to speak. Plus your other analysis 'amused' me so much. :lol:

Why him?
Because he truely baffles me.

First he says this:
True, but what really needs to be looked at is, who stays active. It's quite easy to pop in right away, throw in a "random vote", then go back into hiding.
Then he
seems
to go into hiding after just saying that is what needs to be looked at! Strange.

Then when I asked him to either remove his random vote or say that he wants to keep it he says:
Sorry, Sorry, I'm here. Odd, I thought I had been posting here. Oh well, Unvote Jaguar I'm really not that suspicious of her.
Which is fair enough.

Then when I was having my 'discussion' with Jaguar out of nowhere he casts the lynching vote without a warning or anything simply because she had put a vote on him.

Then when he rejoins the game he comes out with this emotional blackmail:
And yes, I admit I killed Jaguar quite prematurely. I've also admited many times that I suck at this game. I already said that Jaguar's constant baseless accusations made me overly suspicious of her. If you want to kill me and throw the game away because of that, feel free to vote for me.
Which is as I read it, . . . Yes I killed Jaguar without reason. I am bad at this game and being very scummy, but if you lynch me (and I'm not scum) its your fault the town lost and not mine for playing badly.

So I am totally baffled by MGIA. I keep thinking, 'very scummy' but surely the scum wouldn't be that scummy or would they?

Maybe it is exactly as MGIA says:
any analasis of my playing (no matter what game it's in) will almost always end up with me looking bad. What can I say? I prefer to not get myself into any type of playing pattern, but in trying not to, I usually end up getting myself lynched.
Maybe he is right.

Why now?
I don't really understand this question. Why not now?
If I'm going to do a full-fledged analysis, I'll do it when I have time to look at everyone.
If you want to that is fine by me. Don't feel obliged to on my account though.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #129 (ISO) » Tue May 25, 2004 9:06 pm

Post by Talitha »

Well, if we don't lynch a scum today we lose. And even if we lynch one today, then we have to lynch one again tomorrow. So any analysis* at all is better than none. And more is better than less. I've already indicated that I'm leaning towards the scums being Norinel & Mr Gnome... but I'm nowhere near sure enough to vote.

*analysis in the "comment on the game & players" sense of the word.
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Hell if I gnome

Post Post #130 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2004 2:04 am

Talitha wrote:I'd like to hear Mr Gnome's analysis of this game and the players, if he would be so kind as to share his thoughts!
You want an analasis from
me
? I really have no clue, I'm suspicious of everyone, since nobody's been any more or less scummy than anyone else (with the exception of burninglife, who was replaced by Norinel)
Prince Kael
Prince Kael
Townie
Prince Kael
Townie
Townie

Post Post #131 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2004 9:04 am

Post by Prince Kael »

I'm leaning towards the scums being Norinel & Mr Gnome
So do I!
"I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish." Genesis 6:17
Rick
Rick
Goon
Rick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #132 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2004 11:17 am

Post by Rick »

Prince Kael wrote:
I'm leaning towards the scums being Norinel & Mr Gnome
So do I!
I am leaning towards the feeling that if Mr Gnome were scum he would be playing very differently (in other words I am starting to believe him), but I would like to know from Talitha and Norinel (because they have the most experience and are both mods) are the mafia,
that
scummy?
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #133 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2004 12:02 pm

Post by Norinel »

Rick wrote:I would like to know from Talitha and Norinel (because they have the most experience and are both mods) are the mafia,
that
scummy?
I believe you're asking if mafia would play in that scummy a matter. IME, it's possible either way; some people post in ways I'd find suspicious whether or not they're town. (Yourself included)

After a reread and some thought, here are my hunch-based guesses on where the rest of the roles stand:

Talitha and Rick are the only two people who've not claimed townie or asked the cop to come out, so it's almost certain that one of them's the cop. Could go either way, but they've both been so active that I feel that whichever one isn't the cop is scum. At the moment, I'm thinking it's more likely that Rick's the cop and Talitha's mafia.

Prince Kael and MGIA have both implicitly claimed townie, and I'd think it's more likely that PK's scum because his attitude has seemed less townie-like (In the sense of the actual no-power townie role, not a generic term for pro-town) than MGIA's.
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #134 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2004 3:13 pm

Post by Dourgrim »

Vote Count

none

*sigh*
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #135 (ISO) » Wed May 26, 2004 10:13 pm

Post by Talitha »

Rick: I agree with Norinel. Many scum will play extra-cautiously or try to appear like they are the most pro-town player to ever play a game of mafia. Other scum throw caution to the wind and try and stir up the game. Some pay attention, some don't. There really is no magic formula to say "Scum behave
this
way".

Ufortunately I haven't been in enough games with Mr G to be able to read his style. And I haven't seen him in action as scum yet {as far as I'm aware). I know that he is playing this game differently than another that I'm in with him.

I don't really buy his explanation that he has no clue... He's not a newbie, and if he were town I would think he would have
some
suspicions. I'm left with the conclusion that he's either not very interested in this game, or he's mafia.

Norinel: The only person I am 90% sure isn't the cop is you. Asking the cop to come out could be the cop's way of trying to foil a possible mafia counter-claim, or they may be trying to appear not to be the cop in the hopes that they can live through another night.
Rick
Rick
Goon
Rick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #136 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2004 1:05 am

Post by Rick »

Thank you for your replies.

Yeah I think Talitha is right about MGIA – either scum or not interested. I am not sure of which but I will keep an open mind.

Now as for Norinel. Hmm, I think Zero would say that he (Norinel) likes to throw a lot of FUD about. Not that I mind too much about that, because
I tend to do the same when I am hunting for scum just so that I can read into the replies.

Interesting theory about me and Tal being cop/scum. Of course the scum have a greater indication as to who the cop is because they only have a choice of three (whereas the townies have a choice of four). Plus as Norinel probably isn’t the cop (because burning would have said in his claim – I think) then, if Norinel is a townie the scum have a very good idea as to who the cop is.

Lets think what Norinel has said though:
Talitha and Rick are the only two people who've not claimed townie or asked the cop to come out, so it's almost certain that one of them's the cop. Could go either way, but they've both been so active that I feel that whichever one isn't the cop is scum. At the moment, I'm thinking it's more likely that Rick's the cop and Talitha's mafia.
A good possibility, but what if one of them is the cop and the other is a townie (and what if Norinel is scum)? Then Norinel is influencing the cop into voting against the other. Very clever.

Just some FUD of mine in the opposite direction (nothing personal).

Of course Talitha could be right:
Norinel: The only person I am 90% sure isn't the cop is you. Asking the cop to come out could be the cop's way of trying to foil a possible mafia counter-claim, or they may be trying to appear not to be the cop in the hopes that they can live through another night.
I think it is time for a FOS. Here goes
FOS:Noinel
but I'm not near a vote yet.
Prince Kael
Prince Kael
Townie
Prince Kael
Townie
Townie

Post Post #137 (ISO) » Thu May 27, 2004 4:21 am

Post by Prince Kael »

Prince Kael and MGIA have both implicitly claimed townie, and I'd think it's more likely that PK's scum because his attitude has seemed less townie-like (In the sense of the actual no-power townie role, not a generic term for pro-town) than MGIA's.
Can you add to this? What attitude of mine made you think I am more than a townie?
"I am going to bring floodwaters on the earth to destroy all life under the heavens, every creature that has the breath of life in it. Everything on earth will perish." Genesis 6:17
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Hell if I gnome

Post Post #138 (ISO) » Fri May 28, 2004 7:37 am

So... Hmmm... We seem to be at quite the standstill. I'm hoping a deadline is
not
possible right now, as that would end the game just as fast as lynching the wrong person.

Ideas? Anyone? I'm really trying, but this is a difficult situation to figure out.
Rick
Rick
Goon
Rick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #139 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2004 1:38 pm

Post by Rick »

Mr_Gnome_It_All wrote:So... Hmmm... We seem to be at quite the standstill. I'm hoping a deadline is
not
possible right now, as that would end the game just as fast as lynching the wrong person.

Ideas? Anyone? I'm really trying, but this is a difficult situation to figure out.
Not really sure what you mean by that? I wouldn't say we are at a standstill. I would say that there are some very patient players in this game which is a good thing. We aren't going to get any silly lynches, which tend to be in the mafia's favour.

There are a lot of ideas going around Mr Gnome.

Talitha and Prince Kael are leaning towards you (MGIA) and Norinel and I am leaning towards Norinel. (So that is three leans on Norinel.)

Norinel has indicated that he thinks either I (Rick) or Talitha are scum and that the other one is the cop and that the scum's partner is either one of MGIA or Prince Kael.

So there are ideas floating around.

Anyway I am waiting for Norinel to post to see if he has anything to say about my counter-FUD throwing.
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Mr_Gnome_It_All
Hell if I gnome
Hell if I gnome

Post Post #140 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2004 2:54 pm

Ah, I guess I just mistook the lack of posts from the last 50+ hours as a standstill instead of patience.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #141 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2004 11:07 pm

Post by Talitha »

Well eventually someone is going to have to be the first to place a vote. It probably won't be Mr G though, because he doesn't have any suspects!! I'm nearly ready to put a vote on him though...
Rick
Rick
Goon
Rick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #142 (ISO) » Sat May 29, 2004 11:10 pm

Post by Rick »

Wow, triple posts. Mod please can you delete the excess posts please.

The site went a bit screwy last night, but when I logged off there was only one of my posts, but now there are three (plus three of MGIA's).

Anyway, Mr Gnome that is what I would put it down to. People are posting, discussing, asking questions, answering the questions and throwing a bit of FUD. So I would say that they are patient, well apart from you that is. :lol:
Dourgrim
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Dourgrim
Yep. Again.
Yep. Again.

Post Post #143 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2004 2:33 am

Post by Dourgrim »

All repeated posts have been deleted.

Also, I have a personal policy not to deadline games over holiday weekends... mafiascum.net has a long and storied history of slow posting rates on weekends, and doubly so on holidays, so no deadlines or prodding will go on until after Tuesday when everyone has had a chance to catch up.
[size=75]The point of the journey is not to arrive...[/size]
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #144 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2004 4:21 am

Post by Norinel »

Rick wrote:Anyway I am waiting for Norinel to post to see if he has anything to say about my counter-FUD throwing.
FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt? It's what the game's all about. :D I find you and Talitha the scummiest of the other four players, but since that pair's also the only two who haven't asked the cop to come out or claimed townie, the cop is probably one of them as well. Since I'm not mafia and there'd be one mafia left, it has to be either PK or Gnome.
Prince Kael
Prince Kael
Townie
Prince Kael
Townie
Townie

Post Post #145 (ISO) » Sun May 30, 2004 5:41 am

Post by Prince Kael »

Since I'm not mafia
Real clever :)
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #146 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2004 1:30 pm

Post by Norinel »

(Somewhat of a bump, as this game's slipped to the bottom of the stickies)
Prince Kael wrote:
Since I'm not mafia
Real clever :)
That's exactly the sort of attitude I find a bit scummy about you.
Talitha
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Talitha
Dr. Dead
Dr. Dead

Post Post #147 (ISO) » Mon May 31, 2004 7:44 pm

Post by Talitha »

Well - we do need to move the game along somehow. Voting with FOSes sounds good. (I think Rick suggested this earlier). If we get 3 FOSes on someone we can then decide if we will follow through and lynch.

I'll
FOS: Mr Gnome

(I see that I FOSed Norinel earlier... I'm not going to UNFOS him because I haven't changed my mind about that, but for the FOS instead of voting, I'm on Mr Gnome right now).
Norinel
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Norinel
Not Voting (3)
Not Voting (3)

Post Post #148 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:12 am

Post by Norinel »

we can then decide if we will follow through and lynch.
Which must include allowing for everyone to speak; if the potential lynch victim is the cop or has been found innocent by the cop, not waiting would be disastrous.

FOS: Prince Kael
Rick
Rick
Goon
Rick
Goon
Goon

Post Post #149 (ISO) » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:00 am

Post by Rick »

I'm going to stick with my fos on Norinel.

FOS: Norinel

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”