Newbie 2103 | Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Phenenas
Phenenas
He
Goon
Phenenas
He
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He

Newbie 2103 | Endgame

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:26 am

Post by Phenenas »

Newbie 2103

Moderated by Phenenas

Players:

Player6
Space
Lord Gohda
flowerdogs

Sterling the steampunk
LutoTheController
Fennec

MightyCannon
THE LARGE MAN
BloodB0t
Wayward Son
furtiveglance (SE)
FancyPants

NorwegianboyEE (SE)
MegAzumarill (SE)

(SE) indicates a Semi-Experienced player, who has played at least four games on MafiaScum.net.

Spoiler: Alive
Player6 -
Vanilla Townie

Sterling the steampunk -
Town Mason

THE LARGE MAN -
Vanilla Townie

furtiveglance -
Vanilla Townie

Spoiler: Dead
MegAzumarill -
Vanilla Townie

NorwegianboyEE -
Vanilla Townie

Wayward Son -
Mafia Goon

BloodB0t -
Town Mason

MightyCannon -
Mafia Goon

Last edited by Phenenas on Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:26 am, edited 32 times in total.
There are some who call me...Tim.
Phenenas
Phenenas
He
Goon
Phenenas
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:27 am

Post by Phenenas »

Introduction and Tips
Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
Phenenas
Phenenas
He
Goon
Phenenas
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:28 am

Post by Phenenas »

Setup Info

Newbie Setup
Newbie Setup

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setup List
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Sample Role PMs (click on the spoiler button to reveal)

Spoiler:
Vanilla TownieWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when there are no longer any threats to town.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that [player] is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner, [player], share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

You and your partner, [player], share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome to the game, [player]!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner, [player], share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

Phenenas
Phenenas
He
Goon
Phenenas
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 am

Post by Phenenas »

Rules

(Adapted from ledunistus)

General
  • Adhere to all site rules.
  • You may not talk about this game outside of threads I have created for this purpose.
  • Do not quote any out of game communication regarding this game - this includes your role PM, any other PMs I may send you and any PTs you may have. You are allowed to paraphrase.
  • If you want to get my attention, please include "
    @mod
    " or "
    @Phenenas
    " in your post or PM me.
  • My mod color is
    brown
    . Please don't use it.
  • Remember that this is a game. Heated discussion is allowed, but personal attacks are not. Any player who behaves in a toxic manner towards others will be given first a warning, then will be force-replaced if the behavior continues.
  • Do not delete or edit previous posts if you are able to.
Activity
  • You are expected to post in this thread once every 36 hours. Players who go 36 hours without posting will be prodded.
  • If you are prodded, you have 24 hours to post in-thread. If you do not respond within 24 hours, you will be replaced. Additionally, if I have to prod you 3 or more times, you will be replaced at my own discretion.
  • Abuse of prod dodges will result in you being replaced at my own discretion.
  • If you will be on vacation or have limited access for a time (V/LA), please announce it in the thread or PM me. If your V/LA will last 7 days or longer, I may be forced to replace you.
Voting
  • Vote either with vote tags (VOTE: Phenenas) or with bold text (
    Vote: Phenenas
    ). Here is the code for both ways:

Code: Select all

[vote]Phenenas[/vote]

Code: Select all

[b]Vote: Phenenas[/b]

• You don't have to use the exact name of the player, you can use shortened versions or abbreviations. Just make sure I can understand who you're voting.
  • Eliminations will occur when a majority has been reached. If no majority is reached before the deadline, the day will end in a no elimination.
  • Unvotes are not required.
Phases
  • The first day phase will have a deadline of 10 real-life days. Each day phase after that will have a deadline of 7 days.
  • Once a hammer has occurred, the game is in "twilight". Discussion may continue until I lock the thread but no further votes or unvotes are counted.
  • Each night phase will last 48 hours. If you want the night to end faster, send me a PM requesting a fast night. If all living players do this, the night will end early.
  • Night actions will follow Natural Action Resolution.
  • If you have a night action and don't send it in, I'll PM you 24 hours before the deadline. This doesn't count as a prod. If I still don't hear from you, I will assume you are taking no action.
Miscellaneous
  • Pretending to break the rules will be treated similarly as actually breaking the rules.
  • Do not use encryption, hidden text, or excessively small text in your posts.
  • Do not use any form of provable randomness. This includes dice tags, screenshots of random.org, etc. Saying you flipped a coin is okay, providing some sort of proof that you did isn’t.
  • Have fun! This is non-negotiable!
Phenenas
Phenenas
He
Goon
Phenenas
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:43 am

Post by Phenenas »

Welcome to the game, everyone! If you’re new here and have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask me or one of the more experienced players.

All Role PMs have been sent out. Please confirm using the method described in your role PM.

The game will begin in (expired on 2022-10-12 08:43:43) or when 8/9 players have confirmed and 24 hours have passed since this post. A replacement will be sought for any player who doesn’t confirm within 48 hours from their role PM.

7/9 players have confirmed.
Last edited by Phenenas on Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phenenas
Phenenas
He
Goon
Phenenas
He
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:46 am

Post by Phenenas »

The deadline has been reached, and Day 1 has begun! You may now post!

Vote Count 1.0

Not Voting (9): Lord Gohda, LutoTheController, MightyCannon, THE LARGE MAN, BloodB0t, Wayward Son, FancyPants, NorwegianboyEE, MegAzumarill

With 9 alive, it takes 5 votes to eliminate.

The deadline for Day 1 is October 22nd at 7:48 AM CST, which is in (expired on 2022-10-22 08:48:04).

Mod Note: flowerdogs and Fennec have failed to pick up their role PMs, so they have been replaced by Lord Gohda and LutoTheController, respectively.
Last edited by Phenenas on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
BloodB0t
BloodB0t
Goon
BloodB0t
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:54 am

Post by BloodB0t »

VOTE: FancyPants

Hey Wayward, how's it going? Good to see you again.

I won't be doing any crazy fake voting to start this game out. Though maybe I should, considering how it helped me find mafia on D1 last time?
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:23 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

VOTE: The Large Man
Imprefection is the spice of life.
MightyCannon
MightyCannon
idrc
Townie
MightyCannon
idrc
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: idrc

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:25 am

Post by MightyCannon »

VOTE: Vote MegaAzumarill
Do I know you?
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:25 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

I've played with nobody here except MeAzumarill so this should be cool.
I like seeing new faces.
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:29 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

In post 8, MightyCannon wrote:VOTE: Vote MegaAzumarill
Do I know you?
PS?

Name sounds familiar
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:12 am

Post by FancyPants »

In post 6, BloodB0t wrote:VOTE: FancyPants

Hey Wayward, how's it going? Good to see you again.

I won't be doing any crazy fake voting to start this game out. Though maybe I should, considering how it helped me find mafia on D1 last time?

Bloodbot

Already trying to appease this Wayward person.
FancyPants
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
FancyPants
he/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:12 am

Post by FancyPants »

Sorry:
VOTE: Bloodbot
THE LARGE MAN
THE LARGE MAN
Townie
THE LARGE MAN
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:18 am

Post by THE LARGE MAN »

Hi everyone!
VOTE: MegAzumarill
BloodB0t
BloodB0t
Goon
BloodB0t
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:23 am

Post by BloodB0t »

Wayward is the only player here that I've played with before.

@fancypants Why are you sorry?
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:46 am

Post by MegAzumarill »

I've played with both SEs and I believe technically offsite with mighty cannon (though I have no notable memories of how they play)

Happy to see the new faces.
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:31 am

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

No new posts??
Guess someone needs to break the ice...

So if this first game for you newbies or have you played before?
Norwe is spontaneous, has a stream-of-consciouness posting style, usually posts on catch-ups by commenting on past pages posts, gets rather fired up in certain moments in games, is relatively as playful as me in games and likes casual shitposting

- Bunno
Wayward Son
Wayward Son
He Him
Goon
Wayward Son
He Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He Him

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:15 pm

Post by Wayward Son »

VOTE: LutoTheController Everything they've said so far sounds scummy.

@ NorwegianboyEE This'll be my last game as a Newbie. I
think
I've learned a few things along the way.

BloodBot is the only one I've played with before.

Around this time of day is when you can usually count on catching me on Mafiascum, for those who like discussing in real time. I'll occasionally check the thread at other times.

I have no opinions on anything yet. :yawn:
THE LARGE MAN
THE LARGE MAN
Townie
THE LARGE MAN
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:27 pm

Post by THE LARGE MAN »

In post 16, NorwegianboyEE wrote: So if this first game for you newbies or have you played before?
This is my first game :)
NorwegianboyEE
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
NorwegianboyEE
GLADiator
GLADiator

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:08 pm

Post by NorwegianboyEE »

In post 17, Wayward Son wrote:VOTE: LutoTheController Everything they've said so far sounds scummy.

@ NorwegianboyEE This'll be my last game as a Newbie. I
think
I've learned a few things along the way.

BloodBot is the only one I've played with before.

Around this time of day is when you can usually count on catching me on Mafiascum, for those who like discussing in real time. I'll occasionally check the thread at other times.

I have no opinions on anything yet. :yawn:
You have no opinions but vote Luto because they sound scummy? :o

- Bunno
MightyCannon
MightyCannon
idrc
Townie
MightyCannon
idrc
Townie
Townie
Pronoun: idrc

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:24 am

Post by MightyCannon »

[gifv][/gifv]
In post 10, MegAzumarill wrote:
In post 8, MightyCannon wrote:VOTE: Vote MegaAzumarill
Do I know you?
PS?

Name sounds familiar
Yeah

viewtopic.php?p=13523476&sid=68a4462b2d ... #p13523476 feels too polite :sus:
VOTE: BloodBot
BloodB0t
BloodB0t
Goon
BloodB0t
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:07 am

Post by BloodB0t »

Are we not all doing RVS this game? If so, I think it's strange to make serious votes already when a third of the players haven't even said anything yet.

In post 17, Wayward Son wrote:VOTE: LutoTheController Everything they've said so far sounds scummy.
Okay, this is a joke, right? Hence the 'no opinions', it's a random vote?
THE LARGE MAN
THE LARGE MAN
Townie
THE LARGE MAN
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:17 am

Post by THE LARGE MAN »

I dont think any of the votes have been serious yet :)
BloodB0t
BloodB0t
Goon
BloodB0t
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:32 am

Post by BloodB0t »

@TLM: Yeah, you're probably right. I felt a little defensive because the two votes on me came with explanations that sound at least feasible. I also thought maybe I couldn't see any of Luto's posts because I was bugged. But yeah, Wayward's vote has gotta be one justified by humor.

@MightyCannon: Could you please choose a profile pic? It will make it easier to identify your posts.

@The silent people: Say something!
MegAzumarill
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
MegAzumarill
She/Her
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:10 am

Post by MegAzumarill »