Newbie 2128 - Manila Noir - Postgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1325 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 1322, ender wrote: Sorry everyone else. I hope there's no hard feelings, I know I played very badly, and pretty much single handedly lost us the game. I understand any frustration sent my way.

I guess there's always next game.

Oh and... damn it, being "too angry" after a bad hammer/flip is a scum tell, I shouldn't have let you play it off. I'm not going to back off of that next time.
don't sell yourself short you played absolutely fine. i think it's fairer to credit scum for playing well here than discredit town for playing poorly.

i think a lot of the missed connection you might've felt this game is meta related. circa 2017-2020 there was a real advent of hyper-posters on mafiascum / elsewhere (which i'm sure you've noticed), and the more detailed analytic style of play slowly became a rarity. pre-2017, players were encouraged to punish perceived poor play decisions. it was like, a community meta decision, to encourage certain styles of play which would increase the general quality of games. we're just in an era where those holistic meta decisions have gone out of fashion.

during the hyperposter site meta, it became really popular to look for scum based on who felt the most earnest / like they were having the most like, real, believable, personable thoughts (aka. kinda wonky because brains do be like that) as town, rather than the people who played the "best", if that makes sense.

idk which era we're in at the moment but i did notice some missed connections with your slot and wondered if this might be a helpful concept to talk about postgame :P
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1326 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:45 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 1324, SmileyDude1 wrote: TBH, that post was actually kind of a slip on my part (note how I used myself when referring to scum night kill choice instead of me),

Fortunately that wasn't picked up on
okay damn that's hilarious.

i've trained myself out of using like, phrasing as a reason to scumread people, given i post in a righteous frenzy and english isn't everyone's native language etc.

but now i know how to catch u next time. :eyes:
SmileyDude1
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #1327 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:53 pm

Post by SmileyDude1 »

yeah I was kicking myself over it because I usually scan over my posts to avoid that sort of thing, I had made the unilateral decision to just hammer the Delta slot (they wanted more time) slightly beforehand and rushed that post. If it came up I was going to play it off by saying I was tired and used the wrong tense (twas a late-night post after all :P ), though that definitely would have complicated things
Friendly Neighborhood Scummer

ADHD
SmileyDude1
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1328 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:40 pm

Post by SmileyDude1 »

Oh yeah, now that the game is over

@humaneatingmonkey, was curious about the mod error day 2, I initially thought you misflipped PC's role though I'd be interested in learning what it actually was

ADHD
ender
ender
He/Him
Townie
ender
He/Him
Townie
Townie

Post Post #1329 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 4:46 pm

Post by ender »

In post 1325, the worst wrote:
In post 1322, ender wrote: Sorry everyone else. I hope there's no hard feelings, I know I played very badly, and pretty much single handedly lost us the game. I understand any frustration sent my way.

Oh and... damn it, being "too angry" after a bad hammer/flip is a scum tell, I shouldn't have let you play it off. I'm not going to back off of that next time.
don't sell yourself short you played absolutely fine. i think it's fairer to credit scum for playing well here than discredit town for playing poorly.

i think a lot of the missed connection you might've felt this game is meta related. circa 2017-2020 there was a real advent of hyper-posters on mafiascum / elsewhere (which i'm sure you've noticed), and the more detailed analytic style of play slowly became a rarity. pre-2017, players were encouraged to punish perceived poor play decisions. it was like, a community meta decision, to encourage certain styles of play which would increase the general quality of games. we're just in an era where those holistic meta decisions have gone out of fashion.

during the hyperposter site meta, it became really popular to look for scum based on who felt the most earnest / like they were having the most like, real, believable, personable thoughts (aka. kinda wonky because brains do be like that) as town, rather than the people who played the "best", if that makes sense.

idk which era we're in at the moment but i did notice some missed connections with your slot and wondered if this might be a helpful concept to talk about postgame :P
Yes I'd be interested in discussing that if you are. Heading to bed for tonight but I'll be on again tomorrow. Night all
Political Clout
Political Clout
Mafia Scum
Political Clout
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1330 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:31 pm

Post by Political Clout »

It was a nice try Mr. Duck
Ya basic!
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1331 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 7:08 pm

Post by the worst »

we should wait for the monkey to call the game over, just as a rule

(Thank you though I tried, I'll be here for my post game roasting :P)
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1332 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:55 pm

Post by humaneatingmonkey »

ELIMINATION

VOTE COUNT 4.FINAL
WE DID IT.

the worst (2):
ender, SmileyDude1
[ELIMINATION]

ender (1):
the worst

With 3 players alive, it takes 2 to eliminate someone.

Deadline:
(expired on 2023-08-23 23:00:00)

the worst was eliminated. He was a
Vanilla Townie

Spoiler: Role PM
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when there are no longer any threats to town.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

The scum team of
SmileyDude1
and
Deltabreedy
wins Newbie 2128. Congratulations!

Private PTs to be released in (expired on 2023-08-19 17:00:00)
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1333 (ISO) » Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:04 pm

The mod error was: I announced iamveryhappy as mason partner.

Fail moderation, I just didn't have the time I thought I'll have and dropping the flavor was just the least I could do.

Congratulations everybody! Thank you to everyone who replaced in and thank you to the newbies who stuck it through!

Smiley, enjoy your win man. See you around!
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Pronoun: She/Her

Post Post #1334 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:49 am

Post by Alianna »

In post 1190, Alianna wrote: Yes, all hail King Smiley!
This didn't age very well, did it? :lol:
I townread Alianna.

Post #1000s Collected: 26
On hiatus from playing mafia.
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #1335 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:50 am

Post by Alianna »

GG everyone and congrats on the win maf!
I townread Alianna.

the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1336 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:05 am

Post by the worst »

In post 1334, Alianna wrote:
In post 1190, Alianna wrote: Yes, all hail King Smiley!
This didn't age very well, did it? :lol:
This is part of what I loved about smiley's play bahaha. He was given a reasonable quantity of appreciation for towny play and projected the most self assured energy about it.

Gg everyone.
SmileyDude1
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1337 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:52 am

Post by SmileyDude1 »

In post 1333, humaneatingmonkey wrote: The mod error was: I announced iamveryhappy as mason partner.

Fail moderation, I just didn't have the time I thought I'll have and dropping the flavor was just the least I could do.

Congratulations everybody! Thank you to everyone who replaced in and thank you to the newbies who stuck it through!

Smiley, enjoy your win man. See you around!
Thank you for modding HEM, and thank you for being patient with me, my apologies for causing a bit of a hassle for you in the early game though i'm grateful you helped me through it.

ADHD
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #1338 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:36 am

Post by Alianna »

I townread Alianna.

Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #1339 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:37 am

Post by Alianna »

In post 1338, Alianna wrote: Smiley, I noticed you like to use user tags to try to get people's attention/indicate that you would like a response from them. As far as I know, those tags don't actually do anything except link the user's profile. If you want to give someone a notification, you can do that by quoting one of their posts.
EBWOP, guess I can't put the brackets there. I mean these tags:

Code: Select all

[user][/user]
I townread Alianna.

DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Pronoun: They/Them

Post Post #1340 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:39 am

Post by DkKoba »

wondering who smiley is known as in other mafia communities bc holy crap thats insane level of scumplay
SmileyDude1
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1341 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:14 am

Post by SmileyDude1 »

Funnily enough this is my second game of forum mafia ever actually. Before joining here, my experience with this game was mainly as a mod irl with family and watching side streams featuring it online (Originally found this game via the Smash Summit series, if any of you are familiar with that).

Will say that I did lurk around this site for a while before joining reading games for fun, so i'm familiar with a good chunk of the lingo but i'm fresh in terms of experience.

I'm flattered by the compliment though :]

ADHD
Alianna
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Alianna
She/Her
Death by 1000 Pagetops
Death by 1000 Pagetops

Post Post #1342 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:33 am

Post by Alianna »

In post 1325, the worst wrote:

I'm going to second this, I really don't think you should put all the blame on yourself. Scum just played well this game!
I townread Alianna.

DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #1343 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 12:03 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 1341, SmileyDude1 wrote: Funnily enough this is my second game of forum mafia ever actually. Before joining here, my experience with this game was mainly as a mod irl with family and watching side streams featuring it online (Originally found this game via the Smash Summit series, if any of you are familiar with that).

Will say that I did lurk around this site for a while before joining reading games for fun, so i'm familiar with a good chunk of the lingo but i'm fresh in terms of experience.

i got into mafia via the New England Melee Summit that happened back in 2016, they played Resistance there and I played some Avalon for some time before going to Mafia :)

IRL mafia tends to teach good habits in terms of presenting yourself as town so that makes sense
the worst
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
the worst
Snuggly Duckling
Snuggly Duckling

Post Post #1344 (ISO) » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:47 pm

Post by the worst »

In post 1341, SmileyDude1 wrote: Funnily enough this is my second game of forum mafia ever actually. Before joining here, my experience with this game was mainly as a mod irl with family and watching side streams featuring it online (Originally found this game via the Smash Summit series, if any of you are familiar with that).

+1 to the compliment too! Even if I'd voted correctly (which like, wasn't going to happen), I don't think I could've really made a compelling case for your lim which didn't sound like it was pulled out of thin air.

I hope we roll scum together soon <3
SmileyDude1
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
SmileyDude1
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1345 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:02 am

Post by SmileyDude1 »

@humaneatingmonkey, was wondering if the PTs were good to release (no redactions on my part btw)

ADHD
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1346 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:09 pm

DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #1347 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:42 pm

Post by DkKoba »

Subject: Newbie 2128 - Manila Noir - Mafia Thread
In post 52, Deltabreedy wrote: Their meta read is kinda ass tbh, I'm not really -that- concerned about it. They're throwing around really lazy arguments that don't actually relate to my slot or it's position. Broadly their argument is that 'Deltas slot is scum because I said so' and they seem to be suspecting everyone who suspects them, I don't think they're half as good as their arrogance seems to suggest.

It's just really a shame that they decided to solely get under my skin for no reason than their own enjoyment. There's absolutely no need for it and given that it's come in two games, there's half a shout that there's a group of people in MS that are now actively looking to bully or otherwise ruin my enjoyment of the games. It is what it is, you get nobs in every community I suppose!
Honestly though I wanted to replace out last night because sod playing a game with them and their 'friends' and their pre-ordained thoughts (which come from an entirely false premise) but figured you've had two replacements so far, it'd be pretty shit for you to have a third. Idk if you've read my previous game but D2 with UP was absolutely horrid.

I've not looked at the thread yet this morning and tbh Im probably going to just not for a few hours more at least. I play off the back of a lot of emotion in just about everything I do, and so last night massively fucked me off.

just gonna comment that

you got caught

it was ez

the light pokes made you sing like a bird

thank you.
humaneatingmonkey
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
humaneatingmonkey
Survivor
Survivor
Happy Scumday!

Post Post #1348 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:58 pm

jesus koba are you really flexing on a newbie game hahahaha
DkKoba
DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

DkKoba
They/Them
Survivor

Survivor

Post Post #1349 (ISO) » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:59 pm

Post by DkKoba »

In post 1348, humaneatingmonkey wrote: jesus koba are you really flexing on a newbie game hahahaha
the quality of scumplay from one of the members was elite, the name does not matter

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”