Newbie 2049 | Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 2049 | Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:53 am

Post by midwaybear »

Welcome to Newbie 2049

Player Listben dover123
SilverWolfxx
Solidclaw

Scipio1
Gillenormand

SlyZealot
numka
SpoonMan Abrams X

Lunar Martian
esotericzoomer
junesong

ItalianoVD (SE)
BBmolla (SE)
Redados (SE)
ManWithNoName (SE)

Alive:

Spoiler: 1/9
Scipio1 -
Mafia Rolecop
survives and wins

Dead:

Spoiler: 8/9
Lunar Martian -
Vanilla Townie
died D1
BBMolla -
Town Jailkeeper
died N1
Redados -
Vanilla Townie
died D2
ben dover123 -
Town Friendly Neighbor
died N2
esotericzoomer -
Mafia Goon
died D3
ItalianoVD -
Vanilla Townie
died N3
numka -
Vanilla Townie
died D4
SlyZealot -
Vanilla Townie
endgamed

Events:

Last edited by midwaybear on Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:57 am, edited 42 times in total.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:03 am

Post by midwaybear »

Rules

Credit to everyone who helped formulate this ruleset

General Rules/Game Etiquette
  1. Obey all Site-wide Rules.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private communication of any kind. This includes moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
Activity/Prods/Replacements
  1. Prods of missing players will be issued after 36 hours of no activity.
  2. A prodded player has 24 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  3. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than 36 hours please PM Cabd and I or post in the thread to declare V/LA.
Deadlines
  1. Deadlines for this game will be 10 days for Day 1 and 7 days for following Day Phases. Night Phases will last 48 hours.
  2. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to the mods by the posted deadline. If the mods do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
Player Actions/Voting/Player Death
  1. Starting day 1, if at any point during the day more than half of the living players are voting for a particular player, day will end and that player will be eliminated.
  2. A majority(half plus one) must occur for an elimination to occur
  3. Votes must be bolded or use the [.vote] tags to be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    or VOTE: Player).
  4. Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  5. Votes made using nicknames or abbreviations will be counted at our discretion. If we think its a vote, then its a vote.
Miscellaneous
  1. I will use
    bolded yellow
    for Mod posts. Don't impersonate the mods. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to our discretion and will be handled as we see fit on a case-by-case basis.
Last edited by midwaybear on Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:05 am

Post by midwaybear »

Tips for New Players

Introduction and Tips
Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:08 am

Post by midwaybear »

Setup Info

Newbie Setup
Newbie Setup

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5

Sample Role PM's (click on the spoiler button to reveal)

Spoiler:
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when there are no longer any threats to town.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that [player] is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborWelcome!

You are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive "No Result."

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:31 am

Post by midwaybear »

All Role PMs have gone out. We will begin when 8/9 have confirmed.
Currently at 8/9.
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:26 am

Post by midwaybear »

Vote count 1.00

It is Day 1!
With 9 votes, it takes 5 to eliminate. Day 1 ends in (expired on 2021-01-16 08:30:00).

VC
Not Voting [9]:
Solidclaw, Gillenormand, SlyZealot, SpoonMan Abrams X, Lunar Martian, junesong, ItalianoVD, BBmolla, and ManWithNoName

Mod Notes
  • GLHF
  • Solidclaw has (expired on 2021-01-06 11:30:00) to confirm before I begin searching for a replacement.
ManWithNoName
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:33 am

Post by ManWithNoName »

Here we go!

[youtuobe]F5RVwBSjNOA[/youtube]

VOTE: SpoonMan

Come together with your hands.
In this world, there's two types of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
ManWithNoName
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:33 am

Post by ManWithNoName »

I made a typo...

It's still the DK Rap.
In this world, there's two types of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
SlyZealot
SlyZealot
Goon
SlyZealot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:37 am

Post by SlyZealot »

I've listened to that rap and trying to find hidden clues. So far I've figured out that this Kongish Donkey has a gun and seems like very suspicious individual.

I'd like to hear other thoughts on individuals with guns from other players as well. I'm expecting a 22% ratio on pro-gunners.

Also I'd like to point out my favorite ice cream favor is VANILLA.
ManWithNoName
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:58 am

Post by ManWithNoName »

In post 8, SlyZealot wrote:Also I'd like to point out my favorite ice cream favor is VANILLA.
Don't so this, please.

KTHX.
SpoonMan Abrams X
SpoonMan Abrams X
Townie
SpoonMan Abrams X
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:53 am

Post by SpoonMan Abrams X »

Well balls

Here I was going to vote for you with reasoning like "a guy without a name is inherently sus, its a man with something to hide"

Then you went and votes for me so now I just look like a jerk.

Tho I do like the cut of your gib.

VOTE: Vote: SlyZealot for already being delibrately useless or terrible scum
SpoonMan Abrams X
SpoonMan Abrams X
Townie
SpoonMan Abrams X
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:54 am

VOTE: SlyZealot because I'm dumb and knew better the vote was already included lol
junesong
junesong
Townie
junesong
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:23 am

Post by junesong »

Hi everyone!

My last round of forum mafia was some 10+ years ago (somewhere around 2008 IIRC?). That site doesn't exist anymore in the form it did back then and all the games I played back then have been lost... but I do recall them being 15+players and with lots of twists and turns. So they became very chaotic very soon. :lol: I was never a super fervent player (nor a good one, but I blame that on the complexity of the games) but did have a lot of fun with it. Curious to see if the science behind it all has taken big leaps in the meantime or if I'm still somewhat up-to-date!

SpoonMan: Could you elaborate "deliberately useless"? I agree with useless, but why deliberately?

VOTE: Lunar Martian Won't you land over here on your rocket ship?
SlyZealot
SlyZealot
Goon
SlyZealot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:19 am

Post by SlyZealot »

Wow, you people have zero chill.

Kinda interesting that first reactions in a newbies game is to immediately start voting for the one person who tries to get reactions out of players.

Passive play only results in night phase where one of the townies gets killed so of course we want as much interactions between players as possible in order to find out suspicious activity.

So far my stupid jokes have prompted one player to already vote me to be freaking hanged which is kinda scary tbf.

Your basis for my killing are also what.. you're annoyed by me?

My actions of stepping forward on a spotlight would be very bad in a newbie game where even the smallest actions can be the deciding factor to cast a vote, so as a mafia member I would've never outed myself in such manner I did.

If you ask my opinion on what this small interaction has caused me to think, it would be the following:

ManWithNoName has never been in a customer service job because he cannot give hold his disdain of a stupid joke that a new player would say as a poor attempt at humor. Thank you for that.

SpoonMan Abrams X has already seen through my strategy of being useless or terrible after reading one comment from me and not has opted to vote me. This to me seems like an attempt to direct the newbies to follow this course of action and produce a death before the night befalls us. Given only the mathematical probabilities this sudden vote is terrible choice with no real backing evidence of my scum-ness.

Note to players still not taken part in this game. Rather than analyze my dumb jokes like SpoonMan Abrams X just did, analyze this post and come to an actual rational conclusion rather than just pointless dumb one.

I don't wanna cast my vote on anyone as of now.
Lunar Martian
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Lunar Martian
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:26 am

Post by Lunar Martian »

VOTE: SlyZealot

While I respect your cheek, you seem to be overreacting to someone having the nerve to vote you. So now you get another person voting you.
SlyZealot
SlyZealot
Goon
SlyZealot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:36 am

Post by SlyZealot »

Yes but thats the proper analysis I was hoping for. At least you made proper read.
SilverWolfxx
SilverWolfxx
Townie
SilverWolfxx
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:55 am

Post by SilverWolfxx »

Hi there everyone ^^

Im supposed to be replacing someone but the mod hasn't put my name on there yet .-.

Nice to meet you all :D
midwaybear
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
midwaybear
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:55 am

Post by midwaybear »

SilverWolfxx replaces in for Solidclaw.
SpoonMan Abrams X
SpoonMan Abrams X
Townie
SpoonMan Abrams X
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:45 am

In post 12, junesong wrote: SpoonMan: Could you elaborate "deliberately useless"? I agree with useless, but why deliberately?
Joke post followed by a vanilla claim with less then zero prodding (it was the third actual post of the game for Pete's sake). If he was farming for a reaction test there are better and less blatantly counterproductive methods to do so.

I'd unvote but his novella of a response that is basically "OMGUS" just actually makes me want to see him hang now.

Being as it is not even 24 hours into day 1 I could be convinced otherwise but for now I'll keep my vote where it's at.

Speaking of "zero chill" @Sly a vote doesn't necessarily mean I positively think you should hang this day but your response, again, is intriguing.
junesong
junesong
Townie
junesong
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:47 am

Post by junesong »

In post 13, SlyZealot wrote:Wow, you people have zero chill.

Kinda interesting that first reactions in a newbies game is to immediately start voting for the one person who tries to get reactions out of players.
Kinda interesting that someone wanting to get reactions out of players then gets heated over said reactions. At the time of the first vote cast on you, the game was still very much in random voting stage so SpoonMan's vote on you doesn't bear as much weight in my eyes as it does in yours. If anything, it did a good job in evoking a response (yours).
In post 13, SlyZealot wrote:Note to players still not taken part in this game. Rather than analyze my dumb jokes like SpoonMan Abrams X just did, analyze this post and come to an actual rational conclusion rather than just pointless dumb one.
Yes, this post is very good to analyze indeed! But everyone should analyze each other as a whole and not try to dictate what others should read into and what not. Dumb jokes can and should also be under scrutiny. In fact, let's continue on that track since you're so eager to let it go:
I get bad vibes from you being so fast to explain why you posted what you posted. If you were looking for genuine reactions, why didn't you wait until more players interacted with your post before revealing your angle behind it? Now you got 3 reactions at the most (I didn't directly respond to your post, so more like 2). The days are long and I can't imagine you being actually scared because of one vote - at the time of your post - while we're still on page 1. Newbie game or not.

I do agree that SpoonMan could be nonchalantly checking if voting you takes traction and seeing how easy people in this game are to lead. However, I do not expect that anyone would just go with the first vote train when we still have a lot of time left.
I actually get pretty good vibes from the response from ManWithNoName. It's to the point and not trying to 'start' anything, just a universal piece of advice.
ManWithNoName
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
ManWithNoName
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:25 am

Post by ManWithNoName »

I'll explain why I don't like this by simple math.

This set up is 9 players, 7 town/2 mafia. The mafia already know who the town is. As town, we do not know this, so, we're at a disadvantage.

As town, we need to find 6 town players in a pool of 8 people, or 2 mafia in a pool of 8, depending on which way you want to do it. This is a disadvantage for town.

What helps a bit for town is that we get 1-2 power roles. Mafia doesn't know who these people are, but can spend time hunting for them. So, in the third post of the game, a vanilla claim, if you are vanilla town, just narrows the mafia's pool of possible PRs from 7 to 6. That goes from (assuming one of the 7 setups with 2 PRs raising their chances of randomly finding a PR from 2/7 to 1/3.

It's just not good in general.
SlyZealot
SlyZealot
Goon
SlyZealot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:37 am

Post by SlyZealot »

Unless, this "outrage" has caused more discussion which again works perfectly with me. Also claims are claims. They are only bad depending on how people react to them and how they choose to believe them. It's a game so who knows what is genuine reaction and what is not. Am I getting defensive and worked up or simply do I want to give that impression?

I am completely fine if you guys want to hang me. I've already done what I wanted to achieve. It's a newbie game and I am a total newbie who is here to learn.

OOC talk: Spoon check my pronouns or kindly ask before affiliating me with one you presume is right. I wish this doesn't become habit in these games.
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:51 am

Post by ItalianoVD »

ManWithNoName and SpoonMan are both town. I’d say Junesong too.

Don’t like . Matter of fact, don’t like either.

Don’t wanna put you at L-2 yet, but know my vote is there.
ItalianoVD
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
ItalianoVD
He
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:53 am

Post by ItalianoVD »

Forgot, Lunar Martian seems opportunistic. Is that RVS or serious?
SlyZealot
SlyZealot
Goon
SlyZealot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:05 am

Post by SlyZealot »

Kinda aggressive points there in #22 and #23.

Wanna open why one of your mafia friend with a townie are suddenly innocent in your books? Perhaps wanna make group of 3 ppl so you can vote or kill everyone after Im dead

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”