Newbie 2119: Pictures of People Wearing Cool Hats | GAME OVER

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Newbie 2119: Pictures of People Wearing Cool Hats | GAME OVER

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:25 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Game Info

Current Game State
Endgame

Game Result
Spoiler: result

town wins!

Master Playerlist (bold is confirmed)
  1. KawaiiKame
    iamveryhappy

2. DragonEater70
    Save the Dragons
  3. Black

4. Cometbright

5. Deltabreedy

6. patchwork

7. Bellaphant (SE)

8. AurorusVox (SE)
    Ausuka

9. Venmar (SE)
SE - Indicates a Semi-Experienced player, a player who has played at least four games on mafiascum.net

Spoiler: Alive(2)
  1. iamveryhappy
  2. Save the Dragons

Spoiler: Dead (7)
  1. Deltabreedy,
    Mafia Goon
    , eliminated day one.
  2. Cometbright,
    Town Cop
    , killed night one.
  3. Black,
    Vanilla Town
    , Eliminated day two.
  4. Bellaphant,
    Town Doctor
    , killed night two.
  5. Patchwork,
    Vanilla Town
    , Eliminated day two.
  6. Venmar,
    Vanilla Town
    , Killed Night Three.
  7. Ausuka,
    Mafia Roleblocker
    , , eliminated day four.

Newbie Setup
Newbie Setup

NewD3 (as designed by RadiantCowbells):

ABC
Mafia
Mafia Roleblocker
Mafia Rolecop
Mafia Goon
Row 1
Town Cop and Town Doctor
Town Tracker and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Cop and Vanilla Townie
Row 2
Town Jailkeeper and Town Tracker
Town Jailkeeper and Town Friendly Neighbor
Town Jailkeeper and Vanilla Townie
Row 3
Town Mason and Town Mason
Town Tracker and Town Doctor
Town Mason and Town Mason

Each Newbie Game will be given a setup that incorporates one mafia role from the top of a column, and then two town roles from a row below the selected mafia role. The remaining six roles will be filled in by
one mafia goon
and
five vanilla townies
appropriately, to create a
2-mafia
and
7-town
setup.

All Newbie games use the Natural Action Resolution system for determining Night action effects.
Mafia Roleblocker
action takes precedence over a
Town Jailkeeper
action should that apply.

Mafia are able to communicate in their Private Topic at all times.

Spoiler: Full Setups
Column A & Row 1:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Cop, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 2:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Tracker, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column A & Row 3:
Mafia Roleblocker, Mafia Goon, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 1:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 2:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Jailkeeper, Town Friendly Neighbor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column B & Row 3:
Mafia Rolecop, Mafia Goon, Town Tracker, Town Doctor, Vanilla Townie x 5
Column C & Row 1:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Cop, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 2:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Jailkeeper, Vanilla Townie x 6
Column C & Row 3:
Mafia Goon x 2, Town Mason x2, Vanilla Townie x 5
Last edited by Thestatusquo on Fri May 12, 2023 7:29 am, edited 24 times in total.
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:35 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Introduction and Tips
Thanks to Irrelephant11 and others for their contributions to these tips.

Here are some helpful links (a lot of them from our helpful wiki):

-> Forum Rules and Guidelines
-> The Glossary
-> Commonly Used Abbreviations
-> The Newbie Guide
-> Articles on How to Play Well (be sure to check the dates these were written/updated, as good advice changes over time)

Key Concepts and Tips

Activity

Try to check in at least once a day.
Besides the activity requirements listed in the moderator's original post, it's just necessary for a fun and healthy game that everyone
plays
. If you post very rarely, or only post a little bit at a time, you may get scumread for lurking. Even if you are not scumread for it, what's the fun in playing a game where multiple people are hardly participating?

Site Meta

Meta is the description of how people on Mafiascum like to play mafia. Things can be different on other online mafia sites, or if you play IRL, so it's good to know what's expected of you on this site. These aren't "rules", per se, but if you don't follow these guidelines it is likely things will go poorly for you on MS. Some examples are...

Random Voting Stage (RVS)

Games on MafiaScum almost always begin with what we call the Random Voting Stage (RVS). At this point in the game, we are in a low information game state (except the mafia, which know everyone’s alignment). As a way to provoke reaction, start a discussion, and try to determine alignment, people will usually vote for non-serious reasons. As the discussion progresses, we will eventually get the game moving and progress out of RVS.

Voting, E-x, and Hammers

E-x is a way to convey how far away a player is away from elimination. For example, you should always announce that you are putting someone at E-1 (1 vote away from an elimination) so that someone doesn’t come along and accidentally vote for that player's elimination. This also prevents Mafia-aligned players from coming along and placing the final vote to eliminate (“hammer”) and claiming ignorance about doing so. You may also see E-2 and E-3 (2 votes away from elimination and 3 votes away from elimination, respectively).

Before you hammer a player, state your intent to hammer (usually done in bold) and ask the player to claim their role. This is done to prevent power roles from being eliminated, and can sometimes get Mafia-aligned players to be caught (via counter claiming). It's best to then allow other players to react and discuss the claim before hammering.

Claiming Your Role

It is almost always best to not claim your role unless you are at E-1 and have been asked to claim as part of an “intent to hammer.” This is because, as a town power role (“PR”), if you out prematurely, you are likely to be night-killed (“NK’d”). As a Vanilla Townie (“VT”), claiming early helps the mafia team narrow down the setup and possible PR candidates. An exception to this would be if a mafia player claimed your role, claiming early to counter the false claim (“CC”) would out the mafia player, and would be a benefit to the town.

Do not fake claim a power role as town!
While it may help you avoid getting eliminated, you might cause a real PR to out themselves by counterclaiming - then the mafia will know who the PR is, and you will probably get eliminated for lying to town. Feel free to fake a claim as scum, though, if you think it would help.

ELo

ELo is the shortened representation of “Eliminate or Lose.” ELo in the Newbie Queue is when there are 3 remaining players, 2 of which are town and 1 is mafia; or when there are 5 remaining players, 3 of which are town and 2 are mafia. It is important in these situations that the town aligned players do not carelessly vote like is done during RVS or early days, as the mafia player(s) can organize and instantly provide the necessary votes to eliminate (“quickhammer”) and win the game.

Conclusion

Mafia is hard!
As town, it can be hard to figure things out, and stressful when people think you're scum.
That's okay!
Just share your thoughts on who you think is scum as they come to you, and don't be afraid to change your mind. As scum, it can be hard to lie convincingly, and stressful when people think you're scum. Don't let that scare you! Try to think of what you would post if you were town, and don't be afraid to "change your mind".

This is a game.
Have fun!
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:36 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

The Basics
  1. Day Phase: 10 days for day 1, 7 days after that. Night Phase 2 days
  2. 36 hours before prod, 24 hours before replacement.
  3. Respect everyone's basic humanity. Do not be an asshole to people. Don't be a racist or sexist or really any other -ist. Respect other players displayed pronouns.

General Rules
  1. Have fun. This is not an option. Games are only good when players are having fun. If you are not having fun, replace out. There is no shame in this. I have no problem with it. You are not a bad person. Both you and the game will be happier for it.
  2. The mod is always right. Always. Yes, even then. However, if you think there’s some confusion, and it absolutely can’t wait until the end of the game, send me a PM; do not break my game because you died when you didn’t think you should’ve.
  3. Days will continue until one of two things happen: a player is killed or a deadline passes.
  4. Do not be toxic in my game. Being toxic is subjective and I am the final say on what that means. If you have a problem with that, don't play my games. But I will forcibly remove players from the game if I feel like they are playing in a way that is insulting or rude to the other players in the game. You don't get to be an asshole just because you're playing a game on the internet.
  5. Do NOT quote your role PMs, OR any other form of communication from me unless it is something I have already posted on this thread
  6. Do not discuss the game outside of the game thread unless your role allows you to, in which case you may only do it during the specified times and in the specified threads.
  7. You’re required to post regularly. I prod after 48 hours of inactivity and replace after 24 hours of no response to the prod. This can be flexible if you PM me in advance.
  8. Once you’re dead, you’re no longer subject to the previous rule. As a matter of fact, once you’re dead, stop posting. I will permit one simple “bah” post and nothing more.
  9. In the event of a modkill, it will end the day.
  10. If a deadline passes without a player receiving the majority of the votes the day will end with no kill.
  11. The days in this game the first day will last 10 days and subsequent days will last 7.
  12. If you don't get your choices in, your default action is NO ACTION.
  13. Votes must be in the form of the vote tags or bolded using a similar format. Please try to use the vote tags as they're much easier to count. So there's no confusion if it looks like a vote I will count it as a vote.
  14. Please do not use any cryptography, really small text with the intent to mislead or provable randomness in this game.

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:37 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Sample Role PM's (click on the spoiler button to reveal)

Spoiler:
Vanilla TownieWelcome!

You are a
Vanilla Townie

You have no special abilities.

You win when all threats to the Town have been eliminated.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment.

Town JailkeeperWelcome!

You are a
Town Jailkeeper

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills and be prevented from using their own action, if they have one, during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town CopWelcome!

You are a
Town Cop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed if they are
Town
or
Mafia
. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town MasonWelcome!

You are a
Town Mason

You know that [player] is Town-aligned. You also share a Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You have no active abilities.

The game thread is here.

Confirm by replying with your role name and alignment or by posting in your PT.

Town TrackerWelcome!

You are a
Town Tracker

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed what player or players they targeted with their action, if any. If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

The game thread is here.

Town DoctorWelcome!

You are a
Town Doctor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be protected from kills during that night phase. You cannot target yourself.

The game thread is here.

Town Friendly NeighborWelcome!

You are a
Town Friendly Neighbor

You may target one player per night phase. This player will be sent a message informing them that you are Town-aligned.

The game thread is here.

Mafia GoonWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Goon

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RolecopWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Rolecop

You may target one player per night phase. At the end of the night phase, you will be informed of their role but not their alignment.
Vanilla Townies
and
Mafia Goons
will both return "Vanilla". If you are roleblocked, you will receive no result.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a role cop in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

You win when the Town has been eliminated, or nothing can stop this from occurring.

The game thread is here.

Mafia RoleblockerWelcome!

You are a
Mafia Roleblocker

You may target one player per night. This player will be prevented from performing their own action, if any.

You and your partner share a factional kill each night. You must choose which of you will commit the kill. You may commit the kill and perform a roleblock in the same night phase. You also share a factional Private Thread (PT), located here, where you may talk at any time.

The game thread is here.

Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:51 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

All role PMs are out, game will begin when 7/9 players confirm or 24 hours from now whichever happens first.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 5:59 pm

Post by Thestatusquo »

8/9 Players confirmed, day 1 is go!

VoteCount 1.0

Not Voting [ 9 ]

KawaiiKame, Dragoneater70, Black, Cometbright, Deltabreedy, patchwork, Bellaphant, AurorusVox, Venmar

With 9 alive it takes 5 votes to be eliminated.

Countdown to deadline: (expired on 2023-04-15 23:59:00)
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:22 pm

Post by Bellaphant »

VOTE: av

First!
Black
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Twilight Princess
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:30 pm

Post by Black »

Hello everyone! It is I, your honorable Scum Queen and I hereby claim the second post of the game and announce that I unfortunately have received a green PM

VOTE: Delta
I scumread Alianna.

ALL HAIL THE SCUM QUEEN!
Deltabreedy
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Deltabreedy
He/him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:32 pm

Post by Deltabreedy »

Who doesn't love a throwback

VOTE: Patch
Refer to me as 'Delta' or 'Tom'. Cheers! |
'Black, if you're scum, I'll eat my shoe.'
Never forget

Regular V/LA Wednesday evenings and Thursday all day (UTC+1)
|
GTKAS
Cometbright
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:27 am

Post by Cometbright »

VOTE: Black for blatantly revealing herself as Potion Master.

Excited for this game - a lot of folk from the last game I was in and some other faces here I’ve seen interesting stuff from during my semi-spectating of newbie games!
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:51 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

VOTE: Black
They are, as they said, the undoubtable scum queen, and I am going to do a pro move and vote them early on, so that if they pocket me later, I can always said I at least voted them at some point in the game :D
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:53 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

In post 9, Cometbright wrote: VOTE: Black for blatantly revealing herself as Potion Master.

Excited for this game - a lot of folk from the last game I was in and some other faces here I’ve seen interesting stuff from during my semi-spectating of newbie games!
Hiiii Comet!
It's so exiciting to see you again!
Which games have you semi spectated?
Cometbright
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:09 am

Post by Cometbright »

In post 11, DragonEater70 wrote: Hiiii Comet!
It's so exiciting to see you again!
Which games have you semi spectated?
Same to you!

Pretty much all of the newbie games in between our one and the actively ongoing ones I can't comment on - though as I said it was a semi-spectate so I didn't read through the entirety of them. Still gave me what I like to consider a fairly good impression of the users playstyles though!
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:18 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

Okay great.
So you know the best play to do on D1 is to to vote Patchwork for not being active enough, right?

Btw I have no clue who Vemnar is, so to get to know them better:
1. Hi Venmar, wassup? Care to say a few words about yourself, your playstyle, etc?
2. Any recommended recently completed game in which you have participated to look at to get a feel of your meta?
Cometbright
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:34 am

Post by Cometbright »

In post 13, DragonEater70 wrote: So you know the best play to do on D1 is to to vote Patchwork for not being active enough, right?
Tbf Patch is usually pretty active - just that their posts tend to be a little surface-level in terms of scumhunting sometimes. I have faith in them this game though! Kawaii you seem to be a bit lurk-ey in playstyle but I hope we get chances to interact this game :)

Yes - Vemnar is the person this game I have 0 background info of any kind on, any input you wish to give would be helpful!
Black
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Black
she/her
Twilight Princess
Twilight Princess
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:53 am

Post by Black »

In post 14, Cometbright wrote: Kawaii you seem to be a bit lurk-ey in playstyle but I hope we get chances to interact this game
Kawaii is generally pretty active but the past week or so it seems like he's fallen off a cliff
I scumread Alianna.

ALL HAIL THE SCUM QUEEN!
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:08 am

Post by Bellaphant »

The nice thing about last game was av was obvscum: pls don't let him charm you into limming obv town again!

Dragon is prob town, page one hot take
DragonEater70
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
DragonEater70
He/Him
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:58 am

Post by DragonEater70 »

In post 16, Bellaphant wrote: The nice thing about last game was av was obvscum: pls don't let him charm you into limming obv town again!

Dragon is prob town, page one hot take
I totally missed that game, which one was that?
Cometbright
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:17 am

Post by Cometbright »

In post 17, DragonEater70 wrote: I totally missed that game, which one was that?
The one with PoD right? The tracker claim - Newbie 2115? I saw snippets of the argument while I was on break during a late shift that day and was dumbfounded how town believed the late JK claim over a tracker with a confirmed guilty!
Cometbright
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Cometbright
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:19 am

Post by Cometbright »

In post 16, Bellaphant wrote: Dragon is prob town, page one hot take
Love me some hot takes - I'm inclined to agree with this. Proactivity this early during RVS pleases me :]
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:26 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Poor patch, up was so scummy but patch was so chaotic, it reminded me of my first newbie game.

@dragon, it was wild, they elimed obv!town Omi day one
Bellaphant
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Bellaphant
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:26 am

Post by Bellaphant »

Noone else on this page is town yet.
Black
Black