Newbie #1185 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (isolation #0) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:31 am

Post by Shiidaji »

Hey guys, let's have a good game. Haven't played with any of you beforehand, you can call me Shii.
The SE slot isn't really much, as I'm rather new myself, but If the IC isn't available, feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to respond.

One question to everyone, how much Mafia experience do you have?
-I've completed another game on-site, died in one, and am in a few currently.

Vote: haycorn
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #25 (isolation #1) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:02 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

It's really a matter of your playstyle. Some players are really good at getting a feel for a person's alignment by their posts. Personally, I find questioning on Day one to only come in handy during the later days, where you can re-asses based on flips. But yes, it's necessary. Tierce summed it up nicely too. Rather, quite a few people did.

SOAD, does that mean you won't be taking Day One seriously?
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #33 (isolation #2) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:04 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

In post 19, fathom42 wrote:Noted.

Since we probably won't get that much discussion out of our histories with the game (still want to hear from you, Sampson!), I'd like to ask everyone about their opinion of bandwagoning. I've found that, while it can be useful getting past the random voting stage, its more productive to begin the game with conversation. Bandwagoning, imo, doesn't produce much content for the town to use when compared to good old fashioned questioning.

For example, what do folks think of the exchange me and Tierce just had? I'd say that its the most meaningful thing to happen in the game thus far. I understand that its the early game and that joking around will be rampant, but I'd prefer to take things seriously. Once again, content is important above all else.

I'm more interested in what you have to say about the exchange, if you're taking it seriously.
I found Tierce's reaction to your slight pressure to be rather null, he got serious the post afterwards.

Are you yourself a player who lets your opinions be known, or waits for others' and reacts accordingly?
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #47 (isolation #3) » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:07 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Fathom, do you usually vote for players who vote you in RVS? Oh, and your icon is steadily creeping me out.
That aside...

Theory discussion doesn't get town anywhere. There are other threads for such things
, it generates a ton of 'fluff' that is irksome to sift through while all you get that is relevant to the game is... nil. Not to mention it could inform newb-scum about cop behavior.

I'll admit I'm rather terrible at reading people correctly in early-game phases, but if anyone has even any small doubt about a player's intent, question it, (Peedit: Workdawg ninja'd). I know it's a bit much to ask, but the more relevant content you provide, the better it lets us judge you, and it moves the thread along.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #51 (isolation #4) » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:22 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Looks like RVS has failed in bringing anything to the table. Ah well.

Null-town reads on pretty much everyone except SOAD and haycorn. Inte needs to get in here.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #52 (isolation #5) » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:23 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Vote: SOAD

Why not attack or defend anyone? If you're town, it's in your best interest to get your voice out there.

@ Everyone, please start voting, we'll get nowhere fast here.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #54 (isolation #6) » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Dat reaction. Why so tense over one more vote?

Scumhunting is an over-used term. What facts are you expecting to be handed to you in this game? Mafia games are, save for some power roles, just back and forth games of accusation and reaction.

I never said, or even implied you were being anti-town, but I am rather happy, actually. My read on you has changed for the worse.
You attempt to justify yourself as not anti-town by stating that you've commented on everything that's been presented (Which you haven't, by the way.). And then you try to paint me in a bad light for not giving insight.

Therefore, you
do
suspect me, but then you vote for me saying it isn't an attack. Which doesn't make sense.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #56 (isolation #7) » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

I was null-town on everyone else.
I was null on you two.
Notice how the last two pages barely had anything to do with the game itself. I'm going based off of what little I have.

Why so tense over one more vote?

I was referring to you being tense. It was about my vote on you, not the other way around.

Keep in mind this is an RVS, not an attack.

And since apparently you're still in your little RVS world, this implies you've yet to find anyone even remotely suspicious, correct?
If not, tell me what you have from the past three pages. Otherwise, I don't see why you're complaining that I'm voting you.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #58 (isolation #8) » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:37 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

I don't care for meta.
You are now just getting angry at me because I am voting you.

-

Well then, if
you
apparently have a grasp on this game, do enlighten me as to what these 'facts' are derived from. No really, I'd like to hear it, because you're obviously a master at this game, able to weed out scum without batting an eyelash.

You should really be seeing the problem at this point. Page one and two had barely anything of value. This pattern would continue if nobody was inclined to post. Notice what I just did here, I basically provided an entire conversation, between two players, and now the other players can scrutinize and do with us as they will.

Now then, regarding your reads, they say nothing that isn't either obvious or a pointless observation. I care more about who you feel is even slightly leaning scum. If you find yourself grasping at straws, then
say so
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #60 (isolation #9) » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

In post 59, syndromeofadown wrote:That's exactly my point. Go back and read the previous pages. I've made my opinion very clear. I have no feelings one way or another about who is scum at this point.

Actually, up until I prompted you, you didn't.

In post 58, Shiidaji wrote:No really, I'd like to hear it, because you're obviously a master at this game, able to weed out scum without batting an eyelash.

This was sarcasm.

And mind you, while I as an SE have no obligation to do so (That's Workdawg's forte, see.), I've actually been trying to get a point across to you for the entirety of this page. It is Day One. There are no such "facts" yet. And unless you start a ruckus, no new information will emerge, and thus town stagnates. Get the picture?

'Night.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #68 (isolation #10) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

In post 62, Tierce wrote:I want to point out that we don't need to lynch anyone fast. If you're not talking about a lynch, what/where do we need to get fast? Discussion? That doesn't require Day 1 voting two days in. Seems to me you're hurrying a bit toward a lynch. Why? We want to lynch scum, and there's nothing wrong if we lynch them ten minutes before the deadline as long as we get it right.

To put it bluntly,
duh
. We've plenty of time, It's not like I'm tunneling SOAD or anything. Thread needed a jumpstart after that meager opening phase.

In post 64, Workdawg wrote:Unfortunately, the rest of this conversation reverted back to junky theory discussion.

Sorry. It wasn't chock-full of theory, but I was attempting to prove a point, which fell on deaf ears anyway.

In post 65, Tierce wrote:
In post 47, Shiidaji wrote:
Theory discussion doesn't get town anywhere. There are other threads for such things
, it generates a ton of 'fluff' that is irksome to sift through while all you get that is relevant to the game is... nil.

You post this, and then several hours later embark on a theory discussion? Not looking very townie there, Shii.

That wasn't just theory discussion. Do you have anything useful to contribute at all?
What impression does SOAD give you after our exchange?
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #71 (isolation #11) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:41 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

In post 64, Workdawg wrote:SOAD's vote for Shii smells of distancing. Notice how he votes, but then says it's not an attack? He wants to vote for Shii, but he doesn't want people to think he is scummy for doing it. This is scum mentality as they need to vote for someone, but if that person flips town, they will be scrutinized (everyone on the wagon will) and saying "I'm not attacking you" is a good one. (Really it's not, but for some reason people like to do that).

Distancing refers to a scum-scum interaction that is an attempt to create disassociation, iirc.

I disagree with Cav here, SOAD's playstyle is quite the opposite of confrontational, in this case at least.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #114 (isolation #12) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:40 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

@Haycorn

In post 82, haycorn wrote:
In post 57, syndromeofadown wrote: If you cannot understand this, I question your grasp on this game.

In post 58, Shiidaji wrote:
Well then, if
you
apparently have a grasp on this game, do enlighten me as to what these 'facts' are derived from. No really, I'd like to hear it, because you're obviously a master at this game, able to weed out scum without batting an eyelash.

[1]

All I see here is theory argument and fighting about who plays the game better. At first, SOAD's "no" post really stood out to me. I'm not sure what the point of posting such a rude response would be other than to keep the debate going and raise the level of hostility, which to my inexperienced eyes seems scummy.
[2]
Upon what has to be my fifth re-read (yes, I really was keeping up with the post on my phone) I think I can see where that anger was coming from, as Shii was definitely attacking SOAD's skill as a player, but by the same token, SOAD questioned all our skills first.

As for inte, you should really stop giving newbies a bad name and start learning some social skills. I am actually hesitant to think of you as mafia, because it would mean you are really, REALLY bad at it (and yes, I did just do what I criticized SOAD and Shii for doing.) And also, since your new reply just popped up, go back and review the thread. Tierce is female, and I'm not sure I'd refer to her as "kind-hearted."

I suppose at this point I would be most inclined to VOTE: VOTE: syndromeofadown. Sorry.
[3]

[1]
- First off, his 'No' wasn't towards that sentence.

[2]
- Trust me, this is nothing. You'll find that even in the newbie games there're way, way worse arguments and discussions between people. If you're going to find every little bicker scummy, then you won't get much done.

[3]
- Why are you sorry for voting?

I don't see any reasoning behind your vote besides "He's angry." What about SOAD feels scummy to you?

@Everyone else
- Do you find Haycorn's jump on the SOAD wagon scummy? Which of the two feels scummier?

More to come in a bit.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #117 (isolation #13) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

@ Fathom

In post 91, fathom42 wrote:Personally, I think the Shii/SOAD thing was scummy from both sides. I don't approve of either of them resorting to personal attacks (i.e. "I question your grasp on this game," Shii's sarcasm, etc.). Either one of them could be baiting the other, trying to get them to post something reactionary. I truly hope that the rest of the game is more civil than what just went down, for its easy for scum to play the game when they have their targets angry.

Again, you're going to have to get a little rough to get anywhere on MS. What I did was laughable.
Why do you think baiting for reactions scummy?

I understand you've all come from different sites where the overall scum meta is different, but I disagree. The stronger a reaction is, the more a person plays with his heart. Scum are scared of being caught, try to push suspicion on others, and don't want to attract attention.

What do you make of Inte's recent posts?

@Workdawg

When you 'gather your thoughts', can you give me what you've got on Haycorn, Soad, and Inte? Kthnxbbs.

-
Tierce's wall had nothing but fluff in it. Eh.
-

@SOAD

In post 105, syndromeofadown wrote:Ugh, my intuition is really telling me a certain player is scum, but I don't want to put the spotlight on them just yet. For three reasons: one, I would come off hypocritical after all my speeches about day 1; two, my intuition could be wrong and I feel I should wait for when I have a better case against them, and three, I want to keep scum in the dark, make them second guess themselves and look for changes in behavior after posting this. I honestly don't know if I should even be posting this since it goes against every strategy I decided on coming into the game, but for now UnvotePS, what do you guys think the setup is? For now I'm feeling 2 mafia, 6 town, and a power role (doctor if I had to guess)

:neutral:
Town doesn't PRsearch. Scum does. We gain nothing from the information, and that line of discussion lets scum decide who potential PRs are from replies.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #118 (isolation #14) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Edit:
Baiting for reactions
is
* scummy.

Haycorn, let's word this another way. What is scummy about provoking someone? How is it provoking if he was 'not willing to keep talking with [me]'?

Wagon is just a common term for the group of players voting a person.
Though obviously when it comes to the scummyness of a wagon-jump, timing and reasoning matter.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #130 (isolation #15) » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:46 am

Post by Shiidaji »

Tierce said...

In my opinion, appeals to emotion aren't scumtells. Shii says that mafia tends to play with their heart; I disagree. Emotional mafia may slip more easily (after all, they are the ones with things to hide) if riled, but they always have the option to sit back and think their posts through. Emotional, rapid posts tend to read town to me. Town doesn't need to worry so much what other players think.

You've mis-read, it seems.
I said that "The stronger a reaction is, the more a person plays with his heart." Not "Mafia play with their heart." It's obvious that Mafia can sit back and think about it a bit. Your opinion on scumreading is yours.

Posts filled with questions to others, about others. This lets Shii slip quite comfortably under the radar. Further, the whole "what I did" on the first quote, and the later admission that there was intentional riling of SOAD's emotional levels, seems more than a bit odd to me. It feels like Shii is/wants control of the game and what answers and reactions pop up. Who has enough information to do so? Scum. Notice how the only actual read we have from Shii is SOAD, but it's accompanied by questions about haycorn and inte.

It's not me slipping under the radar, you're free to ask me anything you want. Want my reads on someone? Ask.

Your logic is a bit faulty, since you're accusing me of slipping under the radar and yet you're also saying that I'm attempting to control the game.

My questioning is playstyle-based.

In post 127, Cav wrote:Shii: generally town, but his defence of SOADs actions strikes me as odd. A player who reacts passionately isn't scum because they're more invested... wha? I don't follow this logic at all. Null.

What? Quote me to the post in which I defended SOAD.

How'd you get your Workdawg townread?
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #132 (isolation #16) » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Cav posted...

Why weigh in on this? Why not let SOAD answer Haycorn’s points?
Your #117 chastises SOAD for PR fishing but you dismissed it quickly. Also in that post [...]

So because I'm voting someone, I can't question someone else who is voting him?
-
It was a null-tell, especially considering this is a newbie game. I wanted to see if he'd follow up with anything similar that would imply that he was actually asking for PR claims, but, no dice.

Admittedly this is to defend yourself against fathom, but are you really arguing that because you too got heated we shouldn’t think you or him scummy? I don’t buy it, but that’s just me.

Arguments aren't scummy, it's what's said in them that counts. All I'm hearing is "Oh, they argued, that's scummy."
Analyze it, and actually show how it was scummy.

My null on you comes from the fact that for the most part I like your play, but the way you keep returning to the you vs.SOAD thing bugs me, especially the way you’re jumping in to argue his side, WHILE voting for him.

I can respect that, since the lack of content provided by early-game shenanigans doesn't give much to go on, so
again
, I'm going with what I have. Thing is, you mis-read my posts as defending him. And you haven't actually quoted where I'm 'defending' him. So.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #141 (isolation #17) » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:20 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

@Mod, prod on Fathom please.

Full reply to Tierce and the drivel in the morning, have the post written halfway.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #143 (isolation #18) » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:46 am

Post by Shiidaji »

In post 135, Tierce wrote:Yup, I've mis-read. You could technically do both (controlling and slipping under the radar), but I'll concede that point. It's too early in the game for me to push at vague notions.

What are your currents reads, aside from SOAD?

Whee.

SOAD is definitely up there, if only for the lack of strong reads from anyone else. Will have to decide on wether he's newbtown or scum eventually, but I'm pretty happy with where my vote stands right now.

Workdawg is the player I'd like to say I've a townread on, but then I'd be lying. I'm not usually partial to meta, but he usually has a bigger voice in his towngames. Subject to change when he gets back on MS. Otherwise, his posts and analyses are null and fluffy.

Don't understand Inte from his ISO but I don't think he's scum. Feels like a mislynch waiting to happen.

Gut scumread on Haycorn and Fathom, latter needs to post more, considering the activity in early D1. Haycorn/SOAD exchange feel like Town vs. Scum.

Sampson is null (No town/scum motivation from any posts, asides from unvoting the RVS vote which is pointless and does nothing).

Townvibes from Tierce and Cav.

Another thing: You said my wall had nothing but fluff in it. Anything you'd like to know from me I haven't made known yet?

Would you say the inactivity in-game is due to lurkscum wanting the town to rip itself apart?

Who is scummier, Haycorn or SOAD? (Assuming latter.)
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #145 (isolation #19) » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:16 am

Post by Shiidaji »

Above exchange doesn't feel town vs. town.
asdfghj I miss double-vote Mafia.
Haycorn didn't show any aggression or support for the SOAD wagon until SOAD voted for her. Why?

-
In post 137, Tierce wrote:When it comes to Shii and being an SE, we have this:
Wiki wrote:Despite appearances, there is no official authority in the SE position. Since they have been on the site for a while, they can aid players who are new to the site like an IC would; but unlike ICs they are under no obligation to do so.Thus I wouldn't put much stock on it influencing play style.

It's half and half. Don't have a playstyle set in stone yet but I like the one I have right now.
Also since the IC's gone for a bit I'm trying keep the game from halting.
-

Cheers, Cav.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #151 (isolation #20) » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 am

Post by Shiidaji »

In post 148, Tierce wrote:You say gut scumread on haycorn, consider SOAD the scummiest of the lot, and classify haycorn/SOAD exchange as town vs. scum? I'm missing something here.

You said the exchange felt scum vs. town before. Why the need to reiterate this?

They read scummy separately. As in, I'm liking the odds of one of them being scum, I doubt that this is a bus, and I'm thinking over which one is more probably scum.

In post 150, Tierce wrote:
In post 145, Shiidaji wrote:Above exchange doesn't feel town vs. town. asdfghj I miss double-vote Mafia. Haycorn didn't show any aggression or support for the SOAD wagon until SOAD voted for her. Why?

Not true:
In post 82, haycorn wrote:I suppose at this point I would be most inclined to VOTE: VOTE: syndromeofadown. Sorry.

I wasn't counting the vote itself. She passively voted without any sort of follow-up or push on SOAD.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #173 (isolation #21) » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:35 am

Post by Shiidaji »

In post 158, BBmolla wrote:Also, quick question, if you suddenly turned into a DayCop(A cop who can check someone's alignment during the day) who would you check right now and why?

Workdawg, Sampson, or you. What you linked to covers most of it, it's a pretty good read.

The first two for being my major null reads, and Bbmolla because you equalling town would erase the slight possibility of a BBmolla + SOAD scumteam and be rather reassuring.

---

MollaMolla said...

I just played a game where I hammered a VT because he claimed Jailkeeper for half the game. In the end he claimed VT and said I was scum. I was the only claimed PR. I was clear.

I've got a solid town read on him for reasons I'll explain at a later time.

I was following that game, it was pretty sad. DeadQT was funny though.

Please do explain.

---
In post 162, haycorn wrote:@BBMolla, for why he is scum, see above. I don't think he's trying to make people not like him. I think he's trying to make people believe that he's someone who should be listened to.

If so, how is it scummy?
---

I am a bit wary of placing her at L-1 before Sampson, Work, Fathom and Inte get in and post their stances, but I'll be re-reading and will place a vote on Haycorn late today if I find myself leaning her over SOAD.
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #209 (isolation #22) » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:49 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

I'm not really inclined to believe Haycorn's claim, but if anything now that she's claimed, she's under the threat of being NK'd anyway. So if that doesn't happen we can solve the problem later.

In post 174, BBmolla wrote:Shii why do you think SOAD is scum?

I'll admit my scumreads are rarely as good as my townreads (Led a D1 cop mislynch recently <__<;) , but...
It was mostly gut, lack of scummy reads on other players, and his OMGUS on me - "I'm voting you to appease you! But hey, this is still an RVS vote, amiright?".

Actually, the second point implies that one of my more null reads is probably scum. {Fathom/Sampson/Work}
I'd be willing to go on one of those three if SOAD/Haycorn pressure doesn't reveal anything more.

I'll be honest though, my scumread on haycorn is now bigger than the one on SOAD. Considering her claim (and my luck) though, I'm not really feeling good about lynching her either.

SOAD, who were you referring to in #105?

Swamped with schoolwork today and tomorrow, I'll have more time for this game on Wednesday
Shiidaji
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Shiidaji
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #221 (isolation #23) » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Post by Shiidaji »

Haycorn = Jailkeeper

Night Actions:

-N1-

Haycorn jails Tierce