Newbie #1185 (Game Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #75 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Post by Tierce »

VOTE: inte

There won't be any chillin' in the back. If you're town, we need your contribute. That behavior is as scummy as could be. We don't know
anything at all
about you.

@Shii, I acknowledge your questions. I don't have time to go through an answer right now; will do so in 24 hours when I don't have school looming over me.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #76 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Post by inte »

"the one who has the most to say has the most to hide"
hope i did this right
VOTE: FATHOM
fathom42
fathom42
Townie
fathom42
Townie
Townie

Post Post #77 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Post by fathom42 »

In post 76, inte wrote:"the one who has the most to say has the most to hide"
hope i did this right

Uh, could you contribute a bit more than an OMGUS, please? Perhaps by further elaborating on your accusation against me, or by telling us what you think of the day's events thus far (i.e., the Chii and SOAD exchange).
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #78 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:08 pm

Post by inte »

In post 77, fathom42 wrote:
In post 76, inte wrote:"the one who has the most to say has the most to hide"
hope i did this right

Uh, could you contribute a bit more than an OMGUS, please? Perhaps by further elaborating on your accusation against me, or by telling us what you think of the day's events thus far (i.e., the Chii and SOAD exchange).

if you can, i can
Cav
Cav
Townie
Cav
Townie
Townie

Post Post #79 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:18 pm

Post by Cav »

@fathom, not sure if your vote is valid as it says 'Vite'; just a heads up.

MEANWHILE...

Inte, what do you think of fathom and Tierce's votes on you, do you think they're voting for valid reasons?

Also, I'd like to know what both of you think of the Shii/SOAD thing. Let's not turn this into some kind of bizarre tit for tat information exchange, people, let the love run free! (or something to that effect)
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #80 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:23 pm

Post by Tierce »

...good grief.

inte, your refusal to say anything of any substance is anti-town behavior. Lurking is often considered mafia behavior. One-liners with no substance are often considered mafia behavior. With good reason, since we cannot read you thoroughly and you are resorting to snipy remarks. This is a game. The town makes a social effort to root out the mafia.
Social
. Nothing you've done so far resembles any kind of the teamwork and brainstorming town needs to win the game.

In three posts, you've managed to paint yourself more scum than anything else I've seen in this thread so far. I stand by my vote on you, since you won't explain a thing when prompted to.

And now, bed. Midterm and Shii/SOAD analysis tomorrow.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #81 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Post by inte »

i think fathom's flip flop attitude contributes nothing on day one. him pointing out that my post was an OMGUS and forgetting that he himself did one is an attitude of someone trying to shift blame and comfort others. i think tierce is kind-hearted, but could very well be an allied maf. no meaningful opinion on him.
haycorn
haycorn
Townie
haycorn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #82 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Post by haycorn »

(just a note-- this quote list feature is FANTASTIC!)

In post 57, syndromeofadown wrote: If you cannot understand this, I question your grasp on this game.

In post 58, Shiidaji wrote:
Well then, if
you
apparently have a grasp on this game, do enlighten me as to what these 'facts' are derived from. No really, I'd like to hear it, because you're obviously a master at this game, able to weed out scum without batting an eyelash.

All I see here is theory argument and fighting about who plays the game better. At first, SOAD's "no" post really stood out to me. I'm not sure what the point of posting such a rude response would be other than to keep the debate going and raise the level of hostility, which to my inexperienced eyes seems scummy. Upon what has to be my fifth re-read (yes, I really was keeping up with the post on my phone) I think I can see where that anger was coming from, as Shii was definitely attacking SOAD's skill as a player, but by the same token, SOAD questioned all our skills first.

As for inte, you should really stop giving newbies a bad name and start learning some social skills. I am actually hesitant to think of you as mafia, because it would mean you are really, REALLY bad at it (and yes, I did just do what I criticized SOAD and Shii for doing.) And also, since your new reply just popped up, go back and review the thread. Tierce is female, and I'm not sure I'd refer to her as "kind-hearted."

I suppose at this point I would be most inclined to VOTE: VOTE: syndromeofadown. Sorry.
"haycorn is the Seinfeld of mafia"-syndromeofadown
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #83 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:45 pm

Post by Workdawg »

In post 67, syndromeofadown wrote:No, I do not see how it is scummy. Strange, yes. Scummy, no.

I agree with this, actually. SOAD being confrontational is not necessarily scummy. I can come across that way when I really find someone to attack.

In post 71, Shiidaji wrote:
In post 64, Workdawg wrote:SOAD's vote for Shii smells of distancing. Notice how he votes, but then says it's not an attack? He wants to vote for Shii, but he doesn't want people to think he is scummy for doing it. This is scum mentality as they need to vote for someone, but if that person flips town, they will be scrutinized (everyone on the wagon will) and saying "I'm not attacking you" is a good one. (Really it's not, but for some reason people like to do that).

Distancing refers to a scum-scum interaction that is an attempt to create disassociation, iirc.

I disagree with Cav here, SOAD's playstyle is quite the opposite of confrontational, in this case at least.

I feel that distancing has a bit more broad definition than simply scum buddy interactions. Typically, distancing can be applied to pretty much any scenario or behavior where the player seems to want to disassociate themselves from, or avoid the blame for something. In this case, I accused SOAD of distancing because he voted for Shii, but seemed like he didn't want to be blamed for it.

In post 75, Tierce wrote:VOTE: inte
There won't be any chillin' in the back. If you're town, we need your contribute. That behavior is as scummy as could be. We don't know
anything at all
about you.

This times 100. Lurking is scummy, providing no content in your few posts is even more scummy. I realize this is your first game, so I'll give you some slack... but as others have said, we need EVERYONE to participate in finding scum. You don't have to be correct about everything you post, but you do need to post your thoughts on what's going on. If you aren't posting, why should we let you live when you could be scum? Your post 81 is actually pretty good. Good insight there, though I think you're definition of OMGUS might be a bit off. OMGUS is "oh my god, you suck" and refers to the scenario where someone votes for another player simply because that player voted for them. fathom isn't "OMGUSing" you. He voted for you for a valid reason.
fathom42
fathom42
Townie
fathom42
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Post by fathom42 »

In post 83, Workdawg wrote:
In post 67, syndromeofadown wrote:No, I do not see how it is scummy. Strange, yes. Scummy, no.

I agree with this, actually. SOAD being confrontational is not necessarily scummy. I can come across that way when I really find someone to attack.

In post 64, Workdawg wrote:SOAD's vote for Shii smells of distancing. Notice how he votes, but then says it's not an attack? He wants to vote for Shii, but he doesn't want people to think he is scummy for doing it. This is scum mentality as they need to vote for someone, but if that person flips town, they will be scrutinized (everyone on the wagon will) and saying "I'm not attacking you" is a good one. (Really it's not, but for some reason people like to do that).

Distancing refers to a scum-scum interaction that is an attempt to create disassociation, iirc.

I disagree with Cav here, SOAD's playstyle is quite the opposite of confrontational, in this case at least.

I feel that distancing has a bit more broad definition than simply scum buddy interactions. Typically, distancing can be applied to pretty much any scenario or behavior where the player seems to want to disassociate themselves from, or avoid the blame for something. In this case, I accused SOAD of distancing because he voted for Shii, but seemed like he didn't want to be blamed for it.

anything at all
about you.

This times 100. Lurking is scummy, providing no content in your few posts is even more scummy. I realize this is your first game, so I'll give you some slack... but as others have said, we need EVERYONE to participate in finding scum. You don't have to be correct about everything you post, but you do need to post your thoughts on what's going on. If you aren't posting, why should we let you live when you could be scum? Your post 81 is actually pretty good. Good insight there, though I think you're definition of OMGUS might be a bit off. OMGUS is "oh my god, you suck" and refers to the scenario where someone votes for another player simply because that player voted for them. fathom isn't "OMGUSing" you. He voted for you for a valid reason.

I believe he's referring to my vote on Tierce, actually.
fathom42
fathom42
Townie
fathom42
Townie
Townie

Post Post #85 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Post by fathom42 »

Vote: Inte

In case the previous one wasn't counted. Thanks to Cav for pointing it out to me.
inte
inte
Mafia Scum
inte
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #86 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:00 pm

Post by inte »

In post 83, Workdawg wrote:

anything at all
about you.

regarding me, posts 8 and 10

i agree lurking is scummy, but when you have no input because its day one, i find it hard to make a conversation. i could very well be a cop also, and fellow town are outing me, but then again you risk me being scum. being that it is day one and the only assumption you could of made on my alignment is based on what i've said/not said seems like a random shot in the dark. i might bandwagon if the opportunity arises though.

i also am not completely new to mafia, i've played it a few times on another forum and plenty of times on sc2. i do realize that this forum is more serious and the social aspect is more heavily scrutinized. stay thirsty my friends.
fathom42
fathom42
Townie
fathom42
Townie
Townie

Post Post #87 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Post by fathom42 »

Ok, I'm about to head off to watch that new twilight movie with my friends. Well, more like mock it with my friends, but that's beside the point.

Inte, I promise I'll answer your question after I get back (Probably around 1 or 2 EST). You WILL say what you think of the other players after I have done so, correct?
syndromeofadown
syndromeofadown
Mafia Scum
syndromeofadown
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #88 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:49 pm

Post by syndromeofadown »

Hey, welcome to the game inte, I can tell I like you already. @Haycorn, don't be sorry. If you want me out of the game, vote me. No hard feelings.

By the way

"Town: 1-3
Scum: 3-0"

Who else thinks it might be a good idea to lynch Workdawg just because he might turn out to be dangerous as scum? I know it's metagaming, but he hasn't lost once as scum, but he's lost 3 times as Town. With all else being neutral it might be a good idea to just get rid of the guy who has the highest chances of being dangerous later on?

VOTE: Workdawg

inb4 people call me wishy washy for changing my vote. I know somebody's going to think by voting shii and unvoting I'm trying to distance without bussing, but trust me I'm not. LOL
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #89 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:28 pm

Post by Workdawg »

LOL, so you have no other input except my record to go on? 89 posts and you don't have even the slightest clue who might be scum?
syndromeofadown
syndromeofadown
Mafia Scum
syndromeofadown
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #90 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:07 pm

Post by syndromeofadown »

LOL it is kind of funny. Do you guys thing that's even ethical? Should everyone start out a clean slate?
fathom42
fathom42
Townie
fathom42
Townie
Townie

Post Post #91 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:01 pm

Post by fathom42 »

Personally, I think the Shii/SOAD thing was scummy from both sides. I don't approve of either of them resorting to personal attacks (i.e. "I question your grasp on this game," Shii's sarcasm, etc.). Either one of them could be baiting the other, trying to get them to post something reactionary. I truly hope that the rest of the game is more civil than what just went down, for its easy for scum to play the game when they have their targets angry.

Aside from that, no real reads on Shii, aside from the fact that I agree with him on game theory.

Now, as for SOAD, I gotta echo what people were saying about his vote on Shii. The distancing, the reactionary wording, etc. Also, I disagree with his vote on Sampson, if his only justification is wanting to ensure that he isn't scum. That's not a good enough basis to lynch something, especially because his experience playing as scum would be a boon to us if he turned out to be town.
fathom42
fathom42
Townie
fathom42
Townie
Townie

Post Post #92 (ISO) » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:04 pm

Post by fathom42 »

*lynch some
one

Not trying to imply that Workdawg is a thing. :P

On that note, g'nite everyone. Gotta get some sleep before my 8:00 clock tomorrow.
haycorn
haycorn
Townie
haycorn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #93 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:47 am

Post by haycorn »

In post 91, fathom42 wrote:Personally, I think the Shii/SOAD thing was scummy from both sides. I don't approve of either of them resorting to personal attacks (i.e. "I question your grasp on this game," Shii's sarcasm, etc.). Either one of them could be baiting the other, trying to get them to post something reactionary.

Maybe they are both scum and have prearranged their argument so we never suspect they are in cahoots. Or is that too WIFOM?
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #94 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:12 am

Post by Tierce »

Wow, do I have a long post coming.

In post 53, syndromeofadown wrote:For me, day 1 is just discussion and feeling out other players, too early for scumhunting.

False.

In post 55, syndromeofadown wrote:This is me being nice.

This was not necessary.

In post 56, Shiidaji wrote:And since apparently you're still in your little RVS world, this implies you've yet to find anyone even remotely suspicious, correct?

As was this.

In post 57, syndromeofadown wrote:There are no scumtells day 1. Scum is found with a combination of facts and reactions, not reactions alone. You have no idea how I react when I am town. You have no idea how I react when I am scum. If you cannot understand this, I question your grasp on this game.

1. There ARE scumtells Day 1.
2. Facts and reactions is true, but people slip and make mistakes. Scum slips and makes mistakes and that can be spotted.
3. The whole 'I question your grasp' and your read on Shii was unnecessary too.

The whole exchange was painful to read. This is a game, folks. More than that, it is a Newbie game. We're here to learn. There is mafia and there is town, but we're all playing together and trying to have fun. The anger and questioning each other's skills does not help the game and
does not help town
. Please understand that.

In post 63, haycorn wrote:Sorry! My computer blew up and so I have been on my cell this weekend. This is not conducive to thoughtful analysis. I promise to post something well thought out and insightful when I get my new computer set up tonight.

I apologize for my playstyle not helping the town. I do tend to be an observer by nature, but I can see where this would be a problem. As I said, when I am at home tonight and can read more than two lines at a time, I will post something just as suspicious and accusatory as everyone else's posts. I am completely willing to talk-- I just can't find what to say at the moment.

Thanks for posting this, and for your later analysis, even though it was somewhat brief (see my review below).

In post 68, Shiidaji wrote:That wasn't just theory discussion. Do you have anything useful to contribute at all?
What impression does SOAD give you after our exchange?

There you go, this post should have my opinion on it. On both him and you, because obviously you're both subject to scrutiny.

In post 81, inte wrote:i think fathom's flip flop attitude contributes nothing on day one. him pointing out that my post was an OMGUS and forgetting that he himself did one is an attitude of someone trying to shift blame and comfort others. i think tierce is kind-hearted, but could very well be an allied maf. no meaningful opinion on him.

1. Flip flop? Do you expect him to place a random vote and stick with it even though he has no real reason to yet? Changing votes is not a scummy behavior as long as you have valid reasons for it, and "you figured out my alias" isn't quite a valid reason to stick by a vote when someone else is displaying scummier behavior.
2. Me being kind-hearted or not is completely irrelevant to the game. I could be the bitchiest bitch that ever bitched and still be town.
3. I'm female.

In post 82, haycorn wrote:All I see here is theory argument and fighting about who plays the game better. At first, SOAD's "no" post really stood out to me. I'm not sure what the point of posting such a rude response would be other than to keep the debate going and raise the level of hostility, which to my inexperienced eyes seems scummy. Upon what has to be my fifth re-read (yes, I really was keeping up with the post on my phone) I think I can see where that anger was coming from, as Shii was definitely attacking SOAD's skill as a player, but by the same token, SOAD questioned all our skills first.

I suppose at this point I would be most inclined to VOTE: VOTE: syndromeofadown. Sorry.

What is your reasoning behind this vote? The 'no' post? I think the conversation just devolved into an anger argument, and SOAD stopped (badly, true), instead of continuing to argue pointlessly with the same arguments. Furthermore, don't be sorry! If you're voting on someone, it should be because you think they are mafia. Don't be sorry to lynch them bastards.

In post 84, fathom42 wrote:I believe he's referring to my vote on Tierce, actually.

How come a RVS vote on the very first page count as an OMGUS? I didn't raise a fuss, and so far fathom42 seems town to me.

In post 86, inte wrote:i agree lurking is scummy, but when you have no input because its day one, i find it hard to make a conversation. i could very well be a cop also, and fellow town are outing me, but then again you risk me being scum. being that it is day one and the only assumption you could of made on my alignment is based on what i've said/not said seems like a random shot in the dark. i might bandwagon if the opportunity arises though.

i also am not completely new to mafia, i've played it a few times on another forum and plenty of times on sc2. i do realize that this forum is more serious and the social aspect is more heavily scrutinized. stay thirsty my friends.

1. We have no input and you say it's hard to make conversation? What would happen if we all took that stance? It may be hard, but we
need
to generate information. You, and everyone, need to create that input you say you don't have.
2. What has your hypothetical cop nature have to do with anything? Do you assume cops lurk by default? How are we outing you?
3. The only assumption we could make of your alignment comes from what you say. So get talking and convince us you're not scum, natch. ;) Being silent is a very very way to slip by the radar, which help mafia, not town.
4. We could not know your mafia play-status. Go back and read everyone's introductions; in comparison, this is the first we hear about your own experience.

In post 88, syndromeofadown wrote:"Town: 1-3
Scum: 3-0"

Who else thinks it might be a good idea to lynch Workdawg just because he might turn out to be dangerous as scum? I know it's metagaming, but he hasn't lost once as scum, but he's lost 3 times as Town. With all else being neutral it might be a good idea to just get rid of the guy who has the highest chances of being dangerous later on?

VOTE: Workdawg

inb4 people call me wishy washy for changing my vote. I know somebody's going to think by voting shii and unvoting I'm trying to distance without bussing, but trust me I'm not. LOL

1. See above about wishy-washy. BUT I'm making a caveat here. Town does not need to worry about changing votes. Your "eee don't think I'm scummy" reaction to your own vote change is somewhat suspicious.
2. Trust you? We'll see about that.
3. As for Workdawg,
what?
That reasoning makes no sense. He is more experienced than us, so most likely he'll have more games as mafia and more games as town than us. Have you gone through all of his games and seen exactly what happened in each one? He has 2/9 chance of being scum here, like any of us. How does the result of other games influence this one? We're different people and the setup/roles may not even be the same.

In post 93, haycorn wrote:
In post 91, fathom42 wrote:Personally, I think the Shii/SOAD thing was scummy from both sides. I don't approve of either of them resorting to personal attacks (i.e. "I question your grasp on this game," Shii's sarcasm, etc.). Either one of them could be baiting the other, trying to get them to post something reactionary.

Maybe they are both scum and have prearranged their argument so we never suspect they are in cahoots. Or is that too WIFOM?

We can't know one way or the other. Personally, I do not take any conclusion regarding their alignment from that argument.
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #95 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:20 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 94, Tierce wrote:Being silent is a very very way to slip by the radar, which help mafia, not town.

English, I can speak it, I swear. That should read: "Being silent is a very very good way to slip by the radar, which helps mafia, not town."

Also, on fathom's attitude, I missed something. He voted Samson after voting me. I still see a valid reason there, too, and a stronger one behind his switch to inte.

fathom42: You mean Workdawg voted for SOAD, I suppose? He's not voting for Sampson; his vote has been on syndrome since the beginning of the game.
haycorn
haycorn
Townie
haycorn
Townie
Townie

Post Post #96 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:16 am

Post by haycorn »

@Tierce My reasoning was that I saw the "No" post as an attempt to provoke hostility. While I can understand your read on his reaction, I felt like he was intentionally trying to further the fight.

I am aware we can't know what soad and shii are up to. I just had the thought and wanted to share it so I wouldn't be so lurky.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #97 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:39 am

Post by Workdawg »

I agree with pretty much everything Tierce said in 94. She has a lot of good points in there.

I think fathom was referring to SOAD's vote on me (not Sampson) in 91, actually.

An interesting thing about my record. I really only earned one of those scum wins, I feel. In the two most recent games, I don't feel like the win was really earned.

In one, town quicklynched their way into a loss. The entire game was 9 pages long with town hammering themselves D1 and D2, then voting and allowing my scumbuddy and I to quicklynch D3 for a flawless win. It's true, my partner and I did a good job of not getting caught, but really it was the town who lost the game for themselves, not us who won as scum.

In another, it came down to LYLO (lynch scum or lose, for town) and I made a gambit to win and claimed cop. I messed up and was caught dead-to-rights by the real cop. We got into a heated debate and he was getting very upset that the rest of the town didn't see his logic (which was totally accurate). The last town player ended up being replaced out and hammered the real cop out of spite because he was getting belligerent and yelling at everyone. I should have lost that game for sure, and that's why there is a * next to my scum record on my wiki page. 

I will be reviewing the thread later today and trying to gather some more thoughts.
iamausername
iamausername
Mafia Scum
iamausername
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #98 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:42 am

Post by iamausername »

-=Vote Count #2=-

syndromeofadown (3) - Workdawg, Shiidaji, haycorn
inte (2) - fathom42, Tierce
Shiidaji (1) - Cav
fathom42 (1) - inte
Workdawg (1) - syndromeofadown

Not Voting (1) - Sampson

5 to lynch.

Deadline falls in (expired on 2011-12-10 14:00:00)
Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere
Tierce
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Tierce
Cache Me If You Can
Cache Me If You Can

Post Post #99 (ISO) » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:30 am

Post by Tierce »

In post 96, haycorn wrote:@Tierce My reasoning was that I saw the "No" post as an attempt to provoke hostility. While I can understand your read on his reaction, I felt like he was intentionally trying to further the fight.

I am aware we can't know what soad and shii are up to. I just had the thought and wanted to share it so I wouldn't be so lurky.

Alright, I got it. We have different views; for the moment, SOAD does not read as scummy to me as inte does. We'll see how things progress.

Workdawg's record
does
tell us something--not about his own gameplay, but how not to do it as a town. Let's hope we don't learn that lesson the hard way and do things sensibly instead.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”