Newbie 1120 - The Scum in Sherlock (Over!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Newbie 1120 - The Scum in Sherlock (Over!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Sherlock. By all rights, it should have been nothing more than one more pimple on the frontier landscape. Small towns, open plains, subtle racism.

But this town had the magnetic attraction of its stupid name. Detective wannabees from all around the country had flocked to Sherlock. There was a Tweed Emporium on every street corner, pipes were more common than umbrellas on rainy days, and there was always someone with a magnifying glass peering at some insignificant detail. It was a good place to lose a dog – simply declare that your prize pooch is missing, and in a flash you'll have a dozen cohorts in the Caper of the Captured Canine.

However, among all of the horde of detectives, Detective King was unique in that he was actually a detective. He was the closest thing Sherlock had to a hero.

Was. But earlier this morning, he was found dead in the local bookstores mystery section (it's all mystery section). There were nine people in the store at the time. One of them killed Detective King, and one disabled the security cameras just before.

Nine people, two killers. The first mystery Sherlock's seen in a long time.

Still Sleuthing:

zMuffinMan (SE)
Awesoma

Scumhunter (SE)

Case Closed:

DeityKabuto (SE)
cloudocean (SE)
Vanilla Town
, lynched Day One.
foilist13 (IC)
startransmission (SE)
Vanilla Town
, killed Night One.
Albert B. Rampage (IC)
Torqez (SE)
Swag136
Mafia Goon
, lynched Day Two.
shahrizai
ninjacheese
Town Cop
, killed Night Two.
hiplop (SE)
Town Jailkeeper
, killed Day Three.
Thor665 (IC)
Vanilla Town
, killed Night Three.
Hellhound1
Mafia Goon
, lynched Day Four.

Times of Interest:

Day One begins
DeityKabuto lynched (VC 20)
Day Two begins, Foilist13 was killed
Day Two ends, Albert B. Rampage was lynched (VC 27)
Day Three begins, Shahrizai was killed
Last edited by hitogoroshi on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:06 pm, edited 16 times in total.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Ruleset

These rules were developed by obtaining a single length of rail, putting RedCoyote's ruleset on a train going west, the BaM ruleset on a train going east, and then tastefully arranging the wreckage.

Since everyone loves skimming, rules are in roughly descending order of importance.

For you Munchkins out there:
Rules are subject to addition, deletion, or change any time. If you try to abuse some technicality, I will make that technicality cease to exist. There are several common sense rules that are implicitly here that I didn't bother writing. When in doubt, PM me. I'm a nice guy.

Play to your win condition:
I want you all to have fun, but you must always be trying to secure a win for your faction. Failure to do so might get you banned from all mafia games on-site, not just this one. Getting modkilled will turn you to a dead netural suvivor, so incurring a modkill is always playing against your factions wincon. Do not test my patience on this issue; I have none.

The flavor is meaningless:
Flavor is for entertainment purposes only; this is an newbie game, after all. To stress the division between flavor and gameplay, all flavor will be purple and in
tags. You have my guarantee that you can ignore anything I post that is purple in area tags with absolutely no negative repercussions.

Lynching:
It takes a full majority to lynch or to no-lynch. If there is no one with a majority at deadline, it's no-lynch.

First rule about ongoing games:
Don't talk about my game anywhere else, and don't talk about other ongoing games here. ESPECIALLY don't share the QT links with anyone. I don't want to modkill but I want the integrity of this game compromised even less.

Mistakes:
Everyone makes them, myself included. Call out vote count mistakes with a bolded note in thread. All other mistakes should be pointed out discreetly via PM.

Activity:
I will prod a player after 72 hours of inactivity. Prods can only be 'picked up' by actually posting in thread – a response to me will not cut it. Players will be replaced upon receiving their third prod, or if they take more than 24 hours to respond to a prod. Players are also free to request replacement at any time.

V/LA:
Declaring V/LA (Vacation/Limited Access) freezes your activity clock. It starts ticking on midnight the day AFTER the end date you've given.

Kills:
I will accept kills that are either bolded in the scum QT, or sent via PM. If I receive multiple kill orders, I will use the most recent one. You can only submit a kill order you yourself are carrying out. If I receive no kill orders all night, I will chose a random scum player to kill a random town player, superseding whatever night action that player sent in.

Deadlines:
Deadlines will be three weeks for all Days. I will extend this only in extreme circumstances. Nights will be 48 hours from when I post the lynch scene.

Votes:
Votes must be bold, and be on the start of a new line. A vote inside a paragraph almost certainly won't count (unless I think you're deliberately abusing this policy – you should never PURPOSEFULLY place your vote in a paragraph). Unvotes are nice but not necessary. Don't play 'vote tricks' – whether you voted for someone or not is ultimately for me to decide, not you.

Mod Vote Counts are Canon:
I will not end the day if the number of votes stated in the last VC + the number of additional votes is not great enough to lynch - I won't penalize the town for a mod error.

To put this otherwise, if I make a mistake in the vote-count, point it out immediately, but UNTIL I fix it, my erroneous vote count is WHERE YOUR VOTE IS. This ensures that someone doesn't get accidentally hammered because of bad mod information.

My color:
is blue. Don't use it. Also, no invisible/small text, and no quoting the mods PM's.

Bah?:
No bah. When you die, you're dead.

Twilight:
Standard site interpretation. If a majority is ever reached, it's twilight. Anyone can talk, including the about-to-die person, but all votes after the hammer don't count.
Last edited by hitogoroshi on Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

This is the 2of4 setup.

Five or six people will receive this PM:

You are a vanilla townie. You have no tools but your vote. You win when both mafia players are dead. Confirm via PM with your role name. Good luck!

One person MAY receive this PM:

You are a Doctor. Once per night, you may target a player and prevent them from being killed that night. You cannot protect yourself. You win when both mafia players are dead. Confirm via PM with your role name. Good luck!

You are a Jailkeeper. Once per night, you may target a player and prevent them from being killed AND using any night actions, including the scum factional kill. You cannot protect yourself. You win when both mafia players are dead. Confirm via PM with your role name. Good luck!

You are a Cop. Once per night, you may target a player. You will receive a result of “Town”, “Non-Town”, or “No Result” (if blocked by the jailkeeper). You win when both mafia players are dead. Confirm via PM with your role name. Good luck!

One player will receive this PM:

You are a mafia goon. Your partner is ?????, and you can talk with him/her during nights (including pregame) at the quicktopic here. Once per night, you may kill a player by subnmitting “kill: player” to me via PM, or bolding it in the scum QT. (Only one mafia member can kill each Night.) You win when the town is only composed of mafia players or when nothing can prevent the same. Confirm via PM with your role name. Good luck!

One player will receive this PM:

You are a mafia Rolecop. Your partner is ?????, and you can talk with him/her during nights (including pregame) at the quicktopic here. Once per night, you may kill a player by submitting “kill: player” to me via PM, or bolding it in the scum QT. (Only one mafia member can kill each Night.) In addition to killing, you can submit “Rolecop: Player” and learn their role title at the end of the night. You win when the town is only composed of mafia players or when nothing can prevent the same. Confirm via PM with your role name. Good luck!
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:35 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

PM's have gone out. Game will begin when ALL players have confirmed. Scum can talk until the game begins.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:44 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

Detective King's body wasn't even cold before the first accusatory fingers were pointed. This is what everyone gathered had dreamed about - a real mystery to solve.

Day One has begun. With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch.

Deadline is on July 6th, 2011, at 2PM Central Time.

As an aside, this game has an overabundance of SE players in an attempt to shorten SE waiting time. Up to 2 SE players, if they replace out, can legally be replaced by newbies.
Scumhunter
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Scumhunter
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:55 am

Post by Scumhunter »

vote Thor665

I have a feeling Thor is mafia this game. Don't ask me why.
Show
Town: 12-5
Scum: 3-1
-----
Troll-head of Soben hydra
Town: 3-2
Scum: 0-0
-----
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:09 am

Post by Thor665 »

tl:dr - this entire commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: hiplop

Because his name always confuses me with hiphop and makes me think I'm playing with someone else.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:10 am

Post by Thor665 »

Scumhunter wrote:I have a feeling Thor is mafia this game. Don't ask me why.

It's because you're terrible at everything ;)
You should sheep me.
Hellhound1
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:30 am

Post by Hellhound1 »

Hey guys, new to all this so please go gentle with me :P
If it's totally random, then
Vote: Awesoma

simply because he's top of the list.
cloudocean
cloudocean
Goon
cloudocean
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:46 am

Post by cloudocean »

vote: Thor665
cloudocean
cloudocean
Goon
cloudocean
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 am

Post by cloudocean »

I changed my mind.

vote:Swag136
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:04 am

Post by Thor665 »

Unvote: hiplop
Vote: cloudocean

Obvious scum is obvious - this vote isn't random.

Why did you change your mind?
ninjacheese
ninjacheese
Townie
ninjacheese
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:05 am

Post by ninjacheese »

hiya guys,
this is my second game on mafia. Really looking forward to it!

VOTE: cloudocean

for changing your mind
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:06 am

Post by Thor665 »

ninja is obvious town ;)
cloudocean
cloudocean
Goon
cloudocean
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:08 am

Post by cloudocean »

I will tell you why I changed my mind later.

@Ninja: How is changing my mind inherently scummy?
@Thor: Are you joking? Sarcasm is really hard to see over the internet.
Hellhound1
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:11 am

Post by Hellhound1 »

cloudocean wrote:I will tell you why I changed my mind later.

A sneaky cliffhanger to keep yourself in the game after being accused?
UNVOTE: Awesoma
VOTE: cloudocean
cloudocean
cloudocean
Goon
cloudocean
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:13 am

Post by cloudocean »

@Hellhound1
How is "I will tell you later" sneaky in anyway? Also, do you think that me being accused implicates me leaving the game?
hiplop
hiplop
Jury Darling
hiplop
Jury Darling
Jury Darling

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 am

Post by hiplop »

VOTE: hellhound1 because he only has one hellhound
third best scummer of all time
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:18 am

Post by Thor665 »

cloudocean wrote:I will tell you why I changed my mind later.

Why can't you tell us now?
When you 'tell us later' I'll expect a really good explanation as to why you couldn't say right away.

cloudocean wrote:@Thor: Are you joking? Sarcasm is really hard to see over the internet.

Joking about what?
I'm really voting you.
I really think you look scummier than anyone else in the game.
I really am done with the RVS.
Does that clear it up?
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:19 am

Post by Thor665 »

hiplop wrote:VOTE: hellhound1 because he only has one hellhound

Hey hiplop - in this thread 'Thing are happening' maybe you should actually respond to them?
cloudocean
cloudocean
Goon
cloudocean
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:22 am

Post by cloudocean »

@Thor
1. I will give you a good explanation after D1 has progressed a little bit.
2. I am wondering if you are joking about calling ninjacheese town.
3. Can you explain how changing my mind is scummy?
4. "Maybe you should actually respond to them" - does this mean you want Hiplop to bandwagon?
Hellhound1
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:23 am

Post by Hellhound1 »

cloudocean wrote:@Hellhound1
How is "I will tell you later" sneaky in anyway? Also, do you think that me being accused implicates me leaving the game?

In case you get called out and try to stay in by saying you'll tell us something important the next day? Just a thought :wink:
And no, but it certainly gives direction to point a finger...
cloudocean
cloudocean
Goon
cloudocean
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 am

Post by cloudocean »

@Hellhound1
1. Can you point out where I said I would explain my revote "the next day"?
2. Can you also point out where I said my explanation is "important"?
Hellhound1
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Hellhound1
He/Him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am

Post by Hellhound1 »

cloudocean wrote:@Hellhound1
1. Can you point out where I said I would explain my revote "the next day"?
2. Can you also point out where I said my explanation is "important"?

I didnt say the first one, dont put words in my mouth please. As i stated, it was just a thought.
And you didnt, but if it isnt important you could tell us now.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:26 am

Post by Thor665 »

@cloudocean

1. i already indicated I was waiting and tagged on an extra question for you to answer at that time.
2. Depends on if you flip scum, I suppose. But - yeah, he's the most townish player thus far, I certainly don't see anyone looking more town than him.
3. I'll do so after you explain why you changed your mind ;) But - basically - it wasn't that scummy until you couldn't explain it right away. Now it's more scummy.
4. I want him to respond with an opinion about the bandwagon. Personally, yes, I'd like him to vote you to hopefully accelerate your explanation. But if he wanted to defend you that would be fine too. As currently stands he avoided mentioning you. If you flip scum he's who I'll lynch next and I'll suspect ninja and hellhound are town.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”