Open 887: Coalition of Frogs (Game Over)

Open Games (Use a known setup). Signups Here
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:36 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 149, implosion wrote: I think THS is very town. his posting on the whole has a certain verve to it that feels like there's real opinionatedness and like, the right motivation behind it. Softly think bella is town.
How do you feel about Hero though?
'dREW DID IT BETTER' - T-Bone
'doctor drew our hero' - Shiki
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:37 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 148, Doctor Drew wrote:Also, what is the issue you have with my post?

It feels overexplainy in the way of scum who feels the need to appear justified rather than town who actually has reasons behind what they're doing. Like, "this could be TvT but maybe this one feels more townie and the other one feels like it's a gotcha" immediately after a Heal feels like scum who feels like they need to add people to their coalition and that each person they add needs to be accompanied by a blurb explaining it. Sort of ditto with but that one doesn't ping me in the same way for whatever reason. this is probably a bad explanation.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:37 pm

Post by implosion »

i agree with the seeming consensus that hero is town.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:41 pm

Post by implosion »

ftr here is the game where i erroneously scumread you (you replaced out and were replaced by enchant, who i proceeded to tunnel even harder and get mislimmed and then effectively get cleared for how hard i mislimmed them >_>)
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:44 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 151, implosion wrote:
In post 148, Doctor Drew wrote:Also, what is the issue you have with my post?
It feels overexplainy in the way of scum who feels the need to appear justified rather than town who actually has reasons behind what they're doing. Like, "this could be TvT but maybe this one feels more townie and the other one feels like it's a gotcha" immediately after a Heal feels like scum who feels like they need to add people to their coalition and that each person they add needs to be accompanied by a blurb explaining it. Sort of ditto with but that one doesn't ping me in the same way for whatever reason. this is probably a bad explanation.
Simply these aren't super strong reads on any of them, but I feel like I am familiar with Ari's town play to an extent....and see it here. And Hero seems to be pretty transparent, and like I said, seems a bit like me when a smidge of frustration comes out.

In both cases I wanted to acknowledge that both reads could be wrong and wanted to offer a scenario for if I am wrong and how it would be.

It has been awhile since you played with me lol.
'I love playing with him, he's got an amazing presence to him that just feels like the game is lacking something when he's not there' - JacksonVirgo
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:45 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 153, implosion wrote: ftr here is the game where i erroneously scumread you (you replaced out and were replaced by enchant, who i proceeded to tunnel even harder and get mislimmed and then effectively get cleared for how hard i mislimmed them >_>)
Ohhhhh ya, wasn't that long ago lol.

I just never could get into that game, I when I did I felt like everyone just punched me in the face for my reads.

Wasn't having fun in that game.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:47 pm

Post by implosion »

Merlyn seems like a good scum candidate. saying she's already townspewing when she has yet to give a single read is not great.
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: she/her

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:14 pm

Post by Merlyn »

I am town, all my spew has to be town

I don't have any real reads yet, I'm not sure why. Even the folx I have some town leans on are so tentative I don't really know if they're townleans.
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:16 pm

Post by Merlyn »

In post 143, Bellaphant wrote:
In post 136, Merlyn wrote:
In post 119, Bellaphant wrote:
In post 102, Merlyn wrote: I dunno, some of that is a reach.

I don't ness. think Hero is scum for giving the reasons but I don't agree with them

pedit: Bella, for example: you think someone was gonna use try and use a joke about flying in from the scumthread to try and prove later he had a scumread on implosion?
@mer, can you expand/reword this? I feel like the question is wieirdly specific when I've been talking about 'vibes' but maybe you can re frame?
yeah, I was responding to the post you made were you said you agreed with most or all of what Hero said. It surprised me that you said that bc I had just been writing a post about how some of the reasons were weaksauce. I was using the joke one as an example to ask you if you really meant it when you said you agreed with it all
I meant mainly the two posts about Ari and TSH? What I was also intending to get across was I originally thought hero's push on tsh was more weaksauce, but is liked what they were saying about the 'feel' of the posts. I also particularly agreed with what hero said about the coalition and their reads in that specific order bc it parelled mine for similar reasons.
Ah, okay, I see where you were coming from with that
TheHoldSteady
TheHoldSteady
He/him
Goon
TheHoldSteady
He/him
Goon
Goon
Pronoun: He/him

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:19 pm

Post by TheHoldSteady »

In post 146, implosion wrote: i agree with aristeia that hero's confidence feels fake but i don't think that's scummy when hero is a self-proclaimed alt who is trying to mix up playstyle. Or at least by default I don't think it has to be scummy. I kind of feel like hero is just townie as of page 4 with the one caveat being the Veil of Altness.
In post 103, TheHoldSteady wrote: ehh, a joke is a joke. i don't have any read on implosion at all. what is the best mo for scum in this phase? if you need one scum in the coalition you want to gain enough people’s trust. picking a player i don’t know out of the blue and being like "they’re scum” right out of the gate doesn’t really fit the MO of the setup.
This is a really fascinating line. It's like, almost lampshading the fact that he is saying "well, i was never scumreading implosion" in a post about how it's pretty townie of him to immediately call me scum (unless i'm misinterpreting). But I think it is +town just for the brazenness of a seemingly relatively new player being like "nah i'm really not playing how scum would be playing in this setup lol" in this way.
What I'm saying is, I was joking and didn't mean to imply that I had an actual read. But even if you think I'm lying about that and had alterior motives, I don't think it would be a play that would be optimal for scum to make at that point.
Merlyn
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Merlyn
she/her
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:21 pm

Post by Merlyn »

In post 146, implosion wrote: But I think it is +town just for the brazenness of a seemingly relatively new player being like "nah i'm really not playing how scum would be playing in this setup lol" in this way.
I want to lean town on THS bc I don't agree with most of the case that Hero laid out. But I think it's dangerous to paint THS with the 'new scum would never do X' brush bc I just came off of two games where he fooled me and just about everyone else as the most towny scum I've seen in a while. I don't know if he's played somewhere else before and I haven't asked but he's very good.
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 2:43 pm

Post by implosion »

I don't even feel like that's a play that "good" scum is likely to make. It's the kind of thing that probably a lot of good scum would avoid because it's practically likely to be scumread by a good swathe of people.
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 3:25 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 161, implosion wrote: I don't even feel like that's a play that "good" scum is likely to make. It's the kind of thing that probably a lot of good scum would avoid because it's practically likely to be scumread by a good swathe of people.
Are you making the mistake of assuming how a player, especially one that you are not familiar with, would play under a certain alignment?

Especially when there is another player, Merlyn in this case, has first hand experience with THS as scum......and you are seemingly poo poo-ing their read?
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:14 pm

Post by Malakittens »

In post 56, Aristeia wrote:
In post 52, Datisi wrote: after those two recent games i played with ari finished, every single post i read from her is *radio static sound* because i learned i do not know how to read her at all. can i still blame skitter for it? anyway
In post 41, Aristeia wrote:
In post 34, Malakittens wrote:
In post 30, TheHoldSteady wrote: doc, bella, datisi all ping town to me so far
Why datisi
I’m opposite of that
i don't think scum mala ever does this unless to distance
can you talk more about this? i don't see how you're getting to that
tragic

i guess its just how I feel mala plays when she's mafia?

questioning a townread on a townie just feels like something she doesnt do because the gain is low and it doesnt really move her win condition foward rlly

Um
I definitely question town reads when I disagree with them
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
Malakittens
Malakittens
Survivor
Malakittens
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:15 pm

Post by Malakittens »

In post 61, Datisi wrote: actually like, idk how much exp you have with mala, i don't have that much, but she doesn't strike me as a sort of thinking 5 steps ahead scum player (no offense) that you're making her out to be there, do you think it's like, likely that scum-mala would've been thinking so much about something like that on page 2?

:cry: :cry:
No matter how high the stakes, sooner or later you're just gonna have to go with your gut.
And maybe, just maybe, that'll take you right where you were supposed to be.

Get to know a Mala~Grey<3 4.7.2015
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:38 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 164, Malakittens wrote:
In post 61, Datisi wrote: actually like, idk how much exp you have with mala, i don't have that much, but she doesn't strike me as a sort of thinking 5 steps ahead scum player (no offense) that you're making her out to be there, do you think it's like, likely that scum-mala would've been thinking so much about something like that on page 2?

Hear me out.

Reading that post again by Dats, doesn't it read as he knows you are town?
implosion
implosion
he/him
Polymath
implosion
he/him
Polymath
Polymath

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:02 pm

Post by implosion »

In post 162, Doctor Drew wrote:
In post 161, implosion wrote: I don't even feel like that's a play that "good" scum is likely to make. It's the kind of thing that probably a lot of good scum would avoid because it's practically likely to be scumread by a good swathe of people.
Are you making the mistake of assuming how a player, especially one that you are not familiar with, would play under a certain alignment?

Especially when there is another player, Merlyn in this case, has first hand experience with THS as scum......and you are seemingly poo poo-ing their read?
this is just a weird take. 1, mafia is a game that is fundamentally built on a pile of assumptions. 2, I don't need to defer to someone else's read just because they've played with the person before. And most importantly 3, no, that's not what I'm doing at all, I'm making a reasoned counterargument to Merlyn's reasoning; she said that THS is a good scum player so we shouldn't townread him too easily and I gave the counterargument that my reason for townreading him should still apply even if he's a good scum player. It's also kind of heinous in isolation to say i'm "poo poo-ing" Merlyn's read just because I'm disagreeing with it and she's played with him before. Like, heck, i'm not allowed to disagree with someone???
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:42 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 160, Merlyn wrote:
In post 146, implosion wrote: But I think it is +town just for the brazenness of a seemingly relatively new player being like "nah i'm really not playing how scum would be playing in this setup lol" in this way.
I want to lean town on THS bc I don't agree with most of the case that Hero laid out. But I think it's dangerous to paint THS with the 'new scum would never do X' brush bc I just came off of two games where he fooled me and just about everyone else as the most towny scum I've seen in a while. I don't know if he's played somewhere else before and I haven't asked but he's very good.

In post 166, implosion wrote:

this is just a weird take. 1, mafia is a game that is fundamentally built on a pile of assumptions. 2, I don't need to defer to someone else's read just because they've played with the person before. And most importantly 3, no, that's not what I'm doing at all, I'm making a reasoned counterargument to Merlyn's reasoning; she said that THS is a good scum player so we shouldn't townread him too easily and I gave the counterargument that my reason for townreading him should still apply even if he's a good scum player. It's also kind of heinous in isolation to say i'm "poo poo-ing" Merlyn's read just because I'm disagreeing with it and she's played with him before. Like, heck, i'm not allowed to disagree with someone???
This is bullshit.

You are doing mental gymnastics to town read THS, Merlyn just said 'Hey, I have seen them in the wild, they don't fuck around as scum'.

And you said nope, you aren't listening to actual first hand meta, and like I said assigning how you would play to another person.

I don't even think you are scum, just doing what I see too often from town who doesn't observe enough.
Hero at Heart
Hero at Heart
Goon
Hero at Heart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:42 pm

Post by Hero at Heart »

In post 139, TheHoldSteady wrote: Let me let you in on something: I have the unique POV where I know there was incorrectly placed suspicion on a town slot. You weren't as subtle about suspecting me as I was expecting you to be. So I'm looking at others in the thread who might subtly take advantage of the heat on my slot.
two questions:
1. if i understood correctly, your sr on me was based on perceiving me as subtly trying to ride your wagon. does me not being as subtle aa you were expecting me to be change your viewpoint on me?
2. well, have you looked at the others? what did you see?
Hero at Heart
Hero at Heart
Goon
Hero at Heart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:48 pm

Post by Hero at Heart »

In post 142, TheHoldSteady wrote: We've still got time but let's get some organization to our approach. I'd like to challenge everyone, by Friday, to come up with 2-3 people you absolutely want in your coalition, and 2-3 people you don't.
this posts feels really off, but not even in a scummy way. it feels like THS has to have zero gamestate awarenessbto make this post when multiple other people have already expressed their preferred coalition and he hasn't.
i doubt this is scum indicative, but i am noting it bc it's weird and i would like to have people's thoughts on this, if they have any thoughts.
Doctor Drew
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Doctor Drew
He/Him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 5:51 pm

Post by Doctor Drew »

In post 145, Doctor Drew wrote:
In post 142, TheHoldSteady wrote: We've still got time but let's get some organization to our approach. I'd like to challenge everyone, by Friday, to come up with 2-3 people you absolutely want in your coalition, and 2-3 people you don't.
I would appreciate not being given homework lol.
In post 169, Hero at Heart wrote:
this posts feels really off, but not even in a scummy way. it feels like THS has to have zero gamestate awarenessbto make this post when multiple other people have already expressed their preferred coalition and he hasn't.
i doubt this is scum indicative, but i am noting it bc it's weird and i would like to have people's thoughts on this, if they have any thoughts.
Why isn't it scum indicative?
Hero at Heart
Hero at Heart
Goon
Hero at Heart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:02 pm

Post by Hero at Heart »

In post 147, implosion wrote: are you someone who's played with me much?
nope!
In post 147, implosion wrote: i do not like this post. but also i absolutely turbo tunneled doctor drew in the one game we played together and we were both town.
understandable.
In post 146, implosion wrote: This is a really fascinating line. It's like, almost lampshading the fact that he is saying "well, i was never scumreading implosion" in a post about how it's pretty townie of him to immediately call me scum (unless i'm misinterpreting). But I think it is +town just for the brazenness of a seemingly relatively new player being like "nah i'm really not playing how scum would be playing in this setup lol" in this way.
i think you misinterpreted it because he was replying to me saying it was scummy to make that joke.
does that change your read of him?
In post 149, implosion wrote: I think THS is very town. his posting on the whole has a certain verve to it that feels like there's real opinionatedness and like, the right motivation behind it.
i am curious about that, could you please expand more on it?
Hero at Heart
Hero at Heart
Goon
Hero at Heart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:07 pm

Post by Hero at Heart »

In post 151, implosion wrote: It feels overexplainy in the way of scum who feels the need to appear justified rather than town who actually has reasons behind what they're doing
good point - i felt hesitant to tr that post but didn't know why. this point is actually very subtly scummy.

hard leaning town on implo atp, slight scumread on drew.
In post 157, Merlyn wrote: I don't have any real reads yet, I'm not sure why. Even the folx I have some town leans on are so tentative I don't really know if they're townleans.
could you tell us your townleans even if they're weak?
Hero at Heart
Hero at Heart
Goon
Hero at Heart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:22 pm

Post by Hero at Heart »

disagree somewhat with implo's take on THS, sure it's not necessarily a play someone with years of experience as scum would make, but it is still a scumtell in my book to be making a scumreadthis way. i also feel THS would approach the accusations differently if town (focus more on explaining what they did rather than on whether they had reason to do it as scum).
In post 154, Doctor Drew wrote: In both cases I wanted to acknowledge that both reads could be wrong and wanted to offer a scenario for if I am wrong and how it would be.
i am quite confused by what you mean here.
In post 165, Doctor Drew wrote:
In post 164, Malakittens wrote:

Hear me out.

Reading that post again by Dats, doesn't it read as he knows you are town?
not rlly.

if anything it sounds like
aristeia
knows that kittens is town. did you read just the part kittens quoted or the whole back and forth they had?
Hero at Heart
Hero at Heart
Goon
Hero at Heart
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:36 pm

Post by Hero at Heart »

In post 167, Doctor Drew wrote: This is bullshit.

You are doing mental gymnastics to town read THS, Merlyn just said 'Hey, I have seen them in the wild, they don't fuck around as scum'.

And you said nope, you aren't listening to actual first hand meta, and like I said assigning how you would play to another person.

I don't even think you are scum, just doing what I see too often from town who doesn't observe enough.
i wanna see how this develops

also, to answer - i dunno. do you think it's ai?

Return to “Central Park [Open Games]”