destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #450 (ISO) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:10 am

Post by destructor »

ThAdmiral wrote:In fact I think that might be somewhat scummy trying to get us to focus on only two people.

vote: destructor
I'm using a small sample of players to find bearings and get a better read of the game. I'm interested in everyone who was on it, not just CC and Urz.

Do you have a reason to believe scum
weren't
on CR's wagon?
Do you have a better place to look for scum?
.::][:::::][:::::][:::::][::.
Thestatusquo
Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Thestatusquo
He/Him
Shea

Shea

Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #451 (ISO) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:46 am

Post by Thestatusquo »

Just posting in all my games including my alt games to let everyone know that my dad passed away last night, and therefore I expect to be away from the computer quite a bit/unable to put effort into games. If it gets to the point where I need replacement, I will ask for it.

Love,
Shea/urza
tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #452 (ISO) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

destructor wrote:If there were scum on both wagons, I want to start with CR's since there are fewer players alive who were on it, which is a smaller sample size to work with and so easier for my head. I think CC was one of the first on and on it at deadline too. Coupling that with his FOSing rofl (who flipped Town), I'm happy to pick up where I left off yesterday.
I understand this point and basically agree with you, but I still think there could be mafia motivation for trying to round down the potential lynch pool as well.
I will however
unvote
for now.
destructor wrote:
ThAdmiral wrote:knowing him he would have just redoubled his efforts against cr today (who seems to be town)
What made you say CR seemed to be town? And to parrot CR's question, why the needless speculation about the nightkill?
It was a very surprising choice mainly. He was on my possible scum list and I'm sure I'm not the only one, so it's just a bit confusing. Furthermore if there was scum on the cr wagon, why kill off one of the only other people on it? It would obviously just make people focus on the remainders?
The cr "seems town" bit refers to the fact that he
now
seems town after his claim, which would have made rofl look even more scummy.
destructor wrote:Do you have a reason to believe scum
weren't
on CR's wagon?
Do you have a better place to look for scum?
No. Chances say there was, although chances are not always right.
As for a better place to look. Let me put it this way: considering ortolan and clockworkruse as town there basically
has
to be scum on the natirasha wagon.
Although as you say there is more people on that one and therefore they would be more difficult to pin down.
ThAdmiral
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
ThAdmiral
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #453 (ISO) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:04 pm

Post by ThAdmiral »

@ destructor: question - do you think it would be a good idea to lynch both people on cr's wagon, one after the other?
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #454 (ISO) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by Axelrod »

I've got a real bad case of the Christmas bussies right now. Which means I'm not keeping up with any of my games. But I've found that if I make a promise to post something meaningful
tomorrow
I usually feel obligated to do it, so that's what I'm doing right now.

TSQ: I'm very sorry for your loss.
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #455 (ISO) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:40 pm

Post by destructor »

You have my condolences, Shea. =/ Take as much time as you need.
ThAdmiral wrote:Furthermore if there was scum on the cr wagon, why kill off one of the only other people on it? It would obviously just make people focus on the remainders?
I don't know if it's obvious. CR wasn't confirmed town at the end of the day. Maybe scum didn't think people would change their mind on him. I don't think it's worth speculating over at this time.
ThAdmiral wrote:As for a better place to look. Let me put it this way: considering ortolan and clockworkruse as town there basically has to be scum on the natirasha wagon.
The people off Nat's wagon were: CC, Urza, CR, Battousai and ort, at least three of which I'm already leaning town on. So, yeah, I am tending to agree with you on this.
ThAdmiral wrote:@ destructor: question - do you think it would be a good idea to lynch both people on cr's wagon, one after the other?
Not solely for them being on the wagon. Caboose was kind of useless but Urza seemed townish. It would have been nice to know why he voted CC now, but we won't know that for a while at least. There are other players who were on it too that I wasn't comfortable with, like Battousai, but I felt his play later in Day 1 was very pro-town. I think the people to look at are those with the most spurious reasons for having joined CR's wagon.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #456 (ISO) » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:54 pm

Post by ortolan »

I'm sorry to hear that, Thestatusquo.

I have found the following inconsistencies in Mizzy's play:

Votes Ramus for self-voting. She mainly pursued him day one while also defending CR. This was apparently a "policy" vote, though, as she has not pursued Ramus' successor.

Post 73 criticises the wagon on CR without giving reasons.

Post 99 uses CC's Post 95 criticism of urielzyx's Post 94 "WIFOM" again to defend ClockworkRuse.

Post 158 I find extremely questionable:
Mizzy wrote:
ortolan wrote:EVEN APART FROM THIS, there is nothing inherently scummy about an OMGUS vote ANYWAY, so this argument has absolutely no substance.
Actually, I don't agree fully with this sentiment; I feel that an OMGUS vote is scummy because it is an easy vote to make that doesn't take thought, doesn't utilize logic or a case, and in general, is anti-town. Anti-town != scum, but it does = scum
my
This is a plain denial of the fact that even if my vote on CR was what is generally considered "OMGUS", i.e. I was voting him after he voted me, it certainly wasn't made with no reasons.
I also don't like that ort does, indeed, seem to have been waiting around for others to make his cases for him.
This is patently untrue. At that point I had made substantial arguments against CR, and furthermore actively argued with him. See my posts: 70, 105, 113, 117, 136, 138, 153. How can you possibly claim I was parasiting on others' arguments? You seem to just be copying what CR said in Post 152 without applying any critique to it:
CR wrote:Also note, that Ort has to use the cases brought against me by others and has little to nothing to add to my case. In other words, Ort has been sitting around and waiting for a reasonable case to build.
She also revisits this in a qualified form in Post 164, without any regard to the fact it's entirely untrue:
No, I am implying that he is lazy. As you point out, he hasn't really been opportunistic.
THEN, there's also the stuff about wanting me to answer CR's "open" question:
Also waiting for an answer to #155.
etc. etc. Still inexplicable and as a result suspicious. Also re-read Posts 176, 177, 179, 180, 181, 186 and 188 to see she was in fact wrong about whom the question was addressed to.

What interests me is Axelrod's Post 214. Note Axelrod replaced Ramus, who Mizzy had been attacking all day. Furthermore, he even goes on to vote CR, who Mizzy had been defending all day. This should support all of Mizzy's suspicions about Ramus/Axelrod. But I don't even see her comment on it. This is what makes it look like her attack on Ramus was purely "policy". Furthermore I wonder why she attacked him so strongly then dropped off apathetically when his replacement came in, even though his play should have affirmed her suspicions, if they genuinely existed.
Mizzy Post 268 wrote:I don't think he's scum, no, and I do think his wagon has a high amount of scum in it because he's intelligent and very perceptive; a dangerous pro-town player to have.
At that point there were five players voting for CR: urielzyx, ortolan, Axelrod, CarnCarn, roflcopter. So even if all three scum were voting for him (I would be surprised if this were the case anyhow) two townies were also. Furthermore, even as you describe his play as "intelligent and perceptive", he had actually admitted that in the case of his main target for the game, me, he had been tunneling. So it seems you had a higher estimation of CR's play than even he did. Here is my theory about your motivations: you jumped in in Post 73 to defend CR. I think you, as scum, wanted to gain brownie points by defending someone you know to be town (which it looks like CR is in light of recent events). Thus if he were lynched you could claim to have been defending a townie. That's why you defended him without even justifying doing so. And that's why you've been more complimentary to his play than even he himself has been.

The best part, really, though, is in Post 363 you voted Natirasha. Thus you want him lynched. THEN, when I unvote in response to CR's role-claim, which as CarnCarn pointed out has the effect of lynching the person you wanted lynched (Natirasha), and saving the person you didn't want lynched (CR), you actually try to throw suspicion onto me for it (Post 436).

Vote: Mizzy

I will probably make a post with commentary on more recent events but I really did have a lot to say about Mizzy :)
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #457 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:00 am

Post by Mizzy »

Okay guys, I'm currently re-reading the last few pages and once I finish, I'll post my thoughts and a response to ort.
PokerFace: "I need to play with [Ether] or Mizzy more often."
Nightson: "I'd be more then happy to play with Ether and Mizzy. At the same time."

Muerrto: "Mizzy is my hero and I wanna be like her when I grow younger <3"
petroleumjelly
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
petroleumjelly
he/him/his
Thirteenthly, ...
Thirteenthly, ...
Pronoun: he/him/his

Post Post #458 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 pm

Post by petroleumjelly »

Day Two Vote Count: #1

2 CarnCarn (destructor, Urzassedatives)
1 destructor (ThAdmiral)
1 Mizzy (ortolan)
1 ortolan (CarnCarn)

With
alive, it takes
to lynch, and
to lynch at deadline! Deadline is January 8, 9:59 pm CDT.

Not Voting – 5 – Axelrod, Battousai, ClockworkRuse, Machiavellian-Mafia, Mizzy
"Logic? I call that flapdoodle."
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #459 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by Mizzy »

I'm not really feeling or understanding the CarnCarn votes on page 18, and in fact, I'm not pleased with Urza's vote with lack of reasoning in #445.

ThAdmiral's vote on destructor seemed like a huge reach, but then I am not really a fan of voting someone because something they did was "somewhat scummy."

Destructor:
I'm not sold on CC's scumminess. Your case seemed to consist of "CC was voting CR." Why vote one of Urza or CC when they were both doing the same thing and you hadn't yet re-read Urza? Not an attack, that's a real question.

ortolan wrote:Votes Ramus for self-voting. She mainly pursued him day one while also defending CR. This was apparently a "policy" vote, though, as she has not pursued Ramus' successor.
How is this an inconsistency? Or scummy?
ortolan wrote:Post 73 criticises the wagon on CR without giving reasons.
No, I said, "...so far I don't see the wagon on Clock..." which is not criticism, merely a disagreement.
ortolan wrote:Post 99 uses CC's Post 95 criticism of urielzyx's Post 94 "WIFOM" again to defend ClockworkRuse.
Again, how is this an inconsistency or scummy?
ortolan wrote:This is a plain denial of the fact that even if my vote on CR was what is generally considered "OMGUS", i.e. I was voting him after he voted me, it certainly wasn't made with no reasons.
No, it was a partial disagreement with your sentiment. You may have had reasons but in my opinion, they paled in the face of the OMGUS factor.

And you know what, I'm just going to stop answering the load of bull your entire post is. You completely manipulated what I said and instead of asking for reasoning or explanations for my actions, you write them up to suit your own "case." You not only failed to mention or address that I admitted that I had misread your post in which you claimed, but now you are using that against me as if I hadn't misread your post.

Most of the post you made about me simply lists things I did, and then the rest of it misrepresents things I said into things you are trying to say I did and only the end of it really explains why any of it MIGHT be scummy. The only real point you have against me is completely rendered useless due to the fact that my suspicion of you was based on a misread, which I admitted to, and so really, your case is a big fat load of nothing. Good job.

I will consider responding to the rest of that "case" once you re-write and re-think what you have there.
Nightson: "I'd be more then happy to play with Ether and Mizzy. At the same time."

Battousai
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Battousai
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #460 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:31 pm

Post by Battousai »

Just so you know, I am here and reading the thread. I'm just waiting on CarnCarn to get on and respond to recent votes/ my question to him.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #461 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:56 pm

Post by ortolan »

Mizzy, unfortunately you've missed the most substantial part of my attack on you.

Why did you drop off on attacking Axelrod/Ramus when Axelrod replaced in, when he voted CR which should have vindicated your suspicions?

Furthermore, why were you so defensive of CR even before there was good reason to believe he was townie?

Finally, why did you lay suspicion on me for causing the person you wanted to be lynched to be lynched, and for saving the person you didn't want to be lynched from being lynched?
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #462 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:16 pm

Post by Mizzy »

ortolan wrote:Why did you drop off on attacking Axelrod/Ramus when Axelrod replaced in, when he voted CR which should have vindicated your suspicions?
In part because Ramus' playstyle and logic were what I distrusted. I felt that Axel voted CR for reasons that in his mind were sound, and not because he was trying to lynch a townie. In short, I found the replacement less anti-town than Ramus.
ortolan wrote:Furthermore, why were you so defensive of CR even before there was good reason to believe he was townie?
Because he was (is) an active player with good, sound logic, pro-town actions, and not really much against him. I felt he was townie pretty early, but no one asked.
ortolan wrote:Finally, why did you lay suspicion on me for causing the person you wanted to be lynched to be lynched, and for saving the person you didn't want to be lynched from being lynched?
I didn't lay suspicion on you, I pointed out something that at the time looked pretty scummy but I didn't ask anyone else to listen or follow along. "Laying suspicion" is something someone does to elicit and attack; I was hoping for responses to what I was saying from you in order to clear things up and if your responses were not sufficient, I would have voted you and not cared whether anyone else agreed with me. This is where I think you are being extremely over-aggressive and -defensive. I also don't credit you alone with saving CR so stop trying to look like a hero.

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #463 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:27 pm

Post by ortolan »

Mizzy wrote:I also don't credit you alone with saving CR so stop trying to look like a hero.
Well, I clearly did "save" him in the most trivial sense in that my Unvote caused Natirasha to be lynched instead of him. Remember, it's why CarnCarn voted me and you IGMEOY'ed me. What other sense could you mean "save" in? Do you mean "clear" him? Why are you talking as though CR is 100% confirmed town? Do you know something we don't? It's not impossible that he was given that as a fakeclaim, even if it is unlikely. Also it's possible I am his scumbuddy and merely voted to save him at the last minute. Why have you totally ignored these possibilities?
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #464 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:31 pm

Post by Mizzy »

ortolan wrote:Why have you totally ignored these possibilities?
Why have you ignored everything else I've said and focused instead on making mountains of molehills?

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #465 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:37 pm

Post by ortolan »

I don't see how I have? Your comment about me not having "saved" CR doesn't make any sense to me under either interpretation I've tried to apply to it- it's either simply true (because I saved him by unvoting) or you mean it in the sense that he is "cleared", and I don't know why you would assume that.

Also,
In part because Ramus' playstyle and logic were what I distrusted. I felt that Axel voted CR for reasons that in his mind were sound, and not because he was trying to lynch a townie. In short, I found the replacement less anti-town than Ramus.
I don't like voting for someone for being "anti-town" in the way you've done here. It implies you don't think they are scum but will vote for them anyway. This is what I was getting at- if you thought Ramus was scum, then you should have voted Axelrod. If you didn't think Ramus was scum, but simply a bad townie, you shouldn't have been voting for him to begin with. Townies are still townies nonetheless.
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #466 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:42 pm

Post by destructor »

Mizzy wrote:
Destructor:
I'm not sold on CC's scumminess. Your case seemed to consist of "CC was voting CR." Why vote one of Urza or CC when they were both doing the same thing and you hadn't yet re-read Urza? Not an attack, that's a real question.
In my answer to ThAdmiral, I mentioned that I wasn't interested in voting people for being on CR's wagon alone. I was voting CC in Day 1 for what I saw as opportunistic play. His FOS of rofl, which made no sense, and his jump onto Caboose when it looked like CR's wagon was coming apart. These are all parts of my case. What do you think of them?

MM, you said you didn't find the reasons I gave for voting CC yesterday very strong. Do you still feel the same way? Do you the conclusions I came to regarding the end of Day 1 are reasonable?
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #467 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:15 pm

Post by CarnCarn »

Not understanding the votes on me. Urza is understandably going through a rough time, but he gave no reasoning for his vote and destructor is voting me for opportunistic FoSing of roflcopter D1,
after I gave a FoS for the same reason to Axelrod
. Also sees my vote for Caboose as scummy, even after I said Caboose was the scummiest, and at the end of the day I would have preferred a Caboose/Urza lynch to a CR one. Given ort's claim and explanation for his unvote, I think Urza is still the most suspicious to me.
Unvote: ortolan
Vote: Urzassedatives

Ort's claim makes him much more town at the moment, in my opinion, but still:

Ort, what about your flavor on CR makes/made you think he is town?
Battousai wrote:CC: Why FoS destructor and vote Ort and not the other way around?
Maybe a moot question at this point, but I voted ort for the reason I gave: hammering by unvote, for a player he never mentioned as finding suspicious. Destructor's vote for Nat was also most unexplained, but I can understand the reasoning behind putting 2 players at 5. So, while I found the Nat vote by itself a bit scummy, I originally thought the hammering unvote was worse.
Machiavellian-Mafia
Machiavellian-Mafia
Mafia Scum
Machiavellian-Mafia
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #468 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:12 pm

Post by Machiavellian-Mafia »

I finally have some time to reread this game. I'll be done within 24 hours.
The end justifies the means.
Urzassedatives
Urzassedatives
Goon
Urzassedatives
Goon
Goon

Post Post #469 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:46 pm

Post by Urzassedatives »

CarnCarn wrote:Not understanding the votes on me. Urza is understandably going through a rough time, but he gave no reasoning for his vote and destructor is voting me for opportunistic FoSing of roflcopter D1,
after I gave a FoS for the same reason to Axelrod
. Also sees my vote for Caboose as scummy, even after I said Caboose was the scummiest, and at the end of the day I would have preferred a Caboose/Urza lynch to a CR one. Given ort's claim and explanation for his unvote, I think Urza is still the most suspicious to me.
Unvote: ortolan
Vote: Urzassedatives

Ort's claim makes him much more town at the moment, in my opinion, but still:

Ort, what about your flavor on CR makes/made you think he is town?
Battousai wrote:CC: Why FoS destructor and vote Ort and not the other way around?
Maybe a moot question at this point, but I voted ort for the reason I gave: hammering by unvote, for a player he never mentioned as finding suspicious. Destructor's vote for Nat was also most unexplained, but I can understand the reasoning behind putting 2 players at 5. So, while I found the Nat vote by itself a bit scummy, I originally thought the hammering unvote was worse.
There's a big difference between not giving a reason and not having one.

Secondly, if your reason for voting me is based off of "He voted me without explanation and I found his replacee scummy because he had 5 posts" then I really don't feel like I need to make any defense. Your attack speaks for itself.
Axelrod
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Axelrod
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #470 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:50 pm

Post by Axelrod »

Okay, so, apparently I lied. Maybe tomorrow. Sorry for my poor participation guys.
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #471 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:07 pm

Post by CarnCarn »

Urza, I didn't say you had no reason, but that you didn't give one. I simply said that I couldn't understand the votes on me, especially yours since you didn't give a reason.
Also, that is not the only reason why I'm voting you. Caboose's voting and bouts of lurkerdom were scummy, plus I would also appreciate your response to my comments about your posts from D1, especially the part about Caboose's role and strategic play:
CarnCarn wrote:Reading through Urza and I've got some questions/comments:
Urza wrote:On my shit list are Uriel, but this is one I'm having a little difficulty with in my mind, because the things I am picking up on are either indicative of scum who knows what they are doing, or town who has no clue. He attacks things that appear out of the ordinary, without giving justification for whether or not they are SCUMMY. Remember, scummy has a very definite meaning. It is an action that a scum player is more likely to do than a town player. Therefore to see uriel jumping on those things, to me, is indicative of one or two things.
I am currently in an ongoing Newbie where uriel also flaked. Could be scum, but also very n00b player in general.
Urza wrote:Self voting is stupid as hell, but it provides no insight at all into the alignment of a player. None whatsoever. Zip. Nada. Zilch. There is no real motivation for scum to do it that is separate from town motivation to do it, and therefore it is the definition of a NULL TELL.
Scum could try the same gambit to trap townsfolk into doing something that, on the surface, looks scummy.
Urza wrote:Now, you might be saying to yourself "Well, a lot of people attacked the self voter...I was one of them." and this is true, but what sets clockworks actions apart is how he doesn't directly attack either player for any one thing. He attacks Orto for what clockwork did, and by proxy attacks the self voter. He clearly thinks what the self voter has done is "scummy" but doesn't vote him. This is not only dumb because in order for orto to be scum in the way clockwork is presenting the game, the self voter has to be, and since Ortos alignment is then dependant on the self voters, and not the other way around, he should be voting the self voter, but scummy because it allows him to add more pressure to the self voter wagon without actually implicating himself by it, and also allows him to poison ortos well by accusing him of things that aren't really scummy that put him on the defensive and take him off the offensive.
Now this is seriously flawed. You conveniently choose to forget that scum try very hard to buddy with townies as a way to distance from their actual teammates. This is why defending someone can be scummy regardless of the alignment of the person being defended.
Urza wrote:Secondly, a pretty big thing I look for is when players are not honestly interested in determining alignment, but are instead just looking to win the argument. Clockworks post 152 is a perfect example of this. The mischaracterization of Ortos vote "HE ADMITS IT WAS OMGUS" is pretty ridiculous, and is not something a player interested in determining orto's alignment would say. Orto quite clearly said that he was being a tad biased, and then went on to explain the nature of the vote. Clockwork IGNORES the real justification, something that if discussed might lead to information about orto's alignment, and goes straight for the jugular with a can't miss, look what stupid things he's doing he's an idiot argument. This is telling because I think there's a pretty clear divide between what a town player would do in this situation, and what a scum player would do in this situation. Psychologically, this is a pretty damn strong tell in my book.
This is a good point. As I think I said already, I felt CR was reaching with some of the accusations against ort. However, it's not necessarily a scumtell because I know people will sometimes ask reachish questions to get reactions. Still, in this case, I see it as a negative against CR.

Urza, why do you keep saying that I presented a false dichotomy after you realized we have a deadline? I've explained already why I think the best lynch is you or CR today, yet you keep dismissing this as a false dichotomy.
Urza wrote:(I mean, I don't think he strategically planned ANYTHING this game, he doesn't seem like a good schemer, of course I have the insight of knowing his role which makes me KNOW he's not a very strategic person, but I digress)
Something just rubs me the wrong way here. Oh, maybe the suggestion that your role does clearly require strategy? But then, you say Caboose wasn't strategic at all. How exactly does knowing Caboose's role tell you that he wasn't strategic? His play is in line with careless scum, or town trying to act very hard like scum, but you say that's not strategic. So, are you saying he is careless scum?
Urza wrote:Also, what do you think policy lynches for poor play are for? People lynch lurkers because lurking annoys them.
No, people lynch lurkers because lurking helps scum.

Also, CR is still on my scummy-list. Not sure why some folks are treating him as more town or as nearly confirmed town just because of ambiguous flavoring in ort's role message (or so he claims). Heck, I'm not sure why ort unvoted based on that.
CarnCarn
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
CarnCarn
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #472 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:56 pm

Post by CarnCarn »

destructor wrote:
ThAdmiral wrote:@ destructor: question - do you think it would be a good idea to lynch both people on cr's wagon, one after the other?
Not solely for them being on the wagon. Caboose was kind of useless but Urza seemed townish. It would have been nice to know why he voted CC now, but we won't know that for a while at least. There are other players who were on it too that I wasn't comfortable with, like Battousai, but I felt his play later in Day 1 was very pro-town. I think the people to look at are those with the most spurious reasons for having joined CR's wagon.
Can you explain what makes you think "Urza seemed townish"? Would you lynch Urza after you lynch me and I flip town, or a vice versa situation (i.e., do you think there was definately scum on the CR wagon?)?
Urzassedatives
Urzassedatives
Goon
Urzassedatives
Goon
Goon

Post Post #473 (ISO) » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:27 pm

Post by Urzassedatives »

CarnCarn wrote:Urza, I didn't say you had no reason, but that you didn't give one. I simply said that I couldn't understand the votes on me, especially yours since you didn't give a reason.
Also, that is not the only reason why I'm voting you. Caboose's voting and bouts of lurkerdom were scummy, plus I would also appreciate your response to my comments about your posts from D1, especially the part about Caboose's role and strategic play:
CarnCarn wrote:Reading through Urza and I've got some questions/comments:
Urza wrote:On my shit list are Uriel, but this is one I'm having a little difficulty with in my mind, because the things I am picking up on are either indicative of scum who knows what they are doing, or town who has no clue. He attacks things that appear out of the ordinary, without giving justification for whether or not they are SCUMMY. Remember, scummy has a very definite meaning. It is an action that a scum player is more likely to do than a town player. Therefore to see uriel jumping on those things, to me, is indicative of one or two things.
I am currently in an ongoing Newbie where uriel also flaked. Could be scum, but also very n00b player in general.
Urza wrote:Self voting is stupid as hell, but it provides no insight at all into the alignment of a player. None whatsoever. Zip. Nada. Zilch. There is no real motivation for scum to do it that is separate from town motivation to do it, and therefore it is the definition of a NULL TELL.
Scum could try the same gambit to trap townsfolk into doing something that, on the surface, looks scummy.
Urza wrote:Now, you might be saying to yourself "Well, a lot of people attacked the self voter...I was one of them." and this is true, but what sets clockworks actions apart is how he doesn't directly attack either player for any one thing. He attacks Orto for what clockwork did, and by proxy attacks the self voter. He clearly thinks what the self voter has done is "scummy" but doesn't vote him. This is not only dumb because in order for orto to be scum in the way clockwork is presenting the game, the self voter has to be, and since Ortos alignment is then dependant on the self voters, and not the other way around, he should be voting the self voter, but scummy because it allows him to add more pressure to the self voter wagon without actually implicating himself by it, and also allows him to poison ortos well by accusing him of things that aren't really scummy that put him on the defensive and take him off the offensive.
Now this is seriously flawed. You conveniently choose to forget that scum try very hard to buddy with townies as a way to distance from their actual teammates. This is why defending someone can be scummy regardless of the alignment of the person being defended.
Urza wrote:Secondly, a pretty big thing I look for is when players are not honestly interested in determining alignment, but are instead just looking to win the argument. Clockworks post 152 is a perfect example of this. The mischaracterization of Ortos vote "HE ADMITS IT WAS OMGUS" is pretty ridiculous, and is not something a player interested in determining orto's alignment would say. Orto quite clearly said that he was being a tad biased, and then went on to explain the nature of the vote. Clockwork IGNORES the real justification, something that if discussed might lead to information about orto's alignment, and goes straight for the jugular with a can't miss, look what stupid things he's doing he's an idiot argument. This is telling because I think there's a pretty clear divide between what a town player would do in this situation, and what a scum player would do in this situation. Psychologically, this is a pretty damn strong tell in my book.
This is a good point. As I think I said already, I felt CR was reaching with some of the accusations against ort. However, it's not necessarily a scumtell because I know people will sometimes ask reachish questions to get reactions. Still, in this case, I see it as a negative against CR.

Urza, why do you keep saying that I presented a false dichotomy after you realized we have a deadline? I've explained already why I think the best lynch is you or CR today, yet you keep dismissing this as a false dichotomy.
Urza wrote:(I mean, I don't think he strategically planned ANYTHING this game, he doesn't seem like a good schemer, of course I have the insight of knowing his role which makes me KNOW he's not a very strategic person, but I digress)
Something just rubs me the wrong way here. Oh, maybe the suggestion that your role does clearly require strategy? But then, you say Caboose wasn't strategic at all. How exactly does knowing Caboose's role tell you that he wasn't strategic? His play is in line with careless scum, or town trying to act very hard like scum, but you say that's not strategic. So, are you saying he is careless scum?
Urza wrote:Also, what do you think policy lynches for poor play are for? People lynch lurkers because lurking annoys them.
No, people lynch lurkers because lurking helps scum.

Also, CR is still on my scummy-list. Not sure why some folks are treating him as more town or as nearly confirmed town just because of ambiguous flavoring in ort's role message (or so he claims). Heck, I'm not sure why ort unvoted based on that.
1) agree on uriel. Remember my comments on her prefaced my suspicions with pretty much that exact same warning.

2) That's my point with regards to self voting. Scum COULD do it, and town COULD do it. The question is "is scum any more likely to do this than town is." and I really don't think they are. Which makes it a null tell. We could come up with conceivable reasons why people might do things all day, but in the end all that matters is what is more likely to have occured. Scumtells are very probabilistic.

3) On the defending the defense. Notice I make no insinuation about whether defending another player is scummy. (Note: I don't think it is, but that's immaterial to my point that you're addressing.) My point is that he attacked BOTH players, while not actually attacking either of them. This is a scum tactic because it's a way to see how the winds blow. It's called fense sitting. There's very little motivation for town players to wait and see who will gain more pressure, but a whole lot of scum motivations. Secondly, while scum players sometimes buddy up, it is much more common for scum players to try to get town players lynched...seeing as... you know, that's how they win the game. Given that, its very helpful for scum to have as many town players look suspicious as possible. Towards that end, his play makes perfect sense.

4) Note I never accused him of reaching. Reaching in and of itself is not scummy. I accused him of not earnestly trying to determine alignment. He did not approach that argument with the mindset of "lets see what alignment orto is" but rather with the mindset of "let me win this argument and make orto look scummy." The former is the tact town would take, the second is the one scum would take. That is why it's a pretty strong scum tell.

5) it was a false dichotomy because I felt you were zeroing in on two players when there were plenty of other players doing noteworthy things, and we were not under TOO strict a deadline as to constrain us to two choices.

6) I'm pretty sure that lurking for a whole day 1, popping in and saying almost nothing is poor strategic play regardless of what alignment or role you have. I would have thought that would be obvious.

7) I disagree with you that people "lynch lurkers because it helps scum." since scum are just as likely to lurk as town in my book, it doesn't help town to lynch them. People lynch lurkers because the meta of lurking annoys them. Plain and simple. They may try to justify it by saying that lurking is a scum strategy, but really lurking is not an indication of alignment. Lurking in plain sight, I.E. posting but without discussing relevant things is a much more common scum strategy in my book that just not posting is.

My vote on you was simply to make you react to me. The fact that you're antsy about it strikes me as odd though. In my experience town players tend to shrug off unexplained and unfollowed up votes on them. I know if someone just posts "vote: shea" I'm more likely to ignore it than anything else. Scum players tend to get nervous though. They wonder if the player is a cop with a guilty on them or something. In fact, that's exactly how your reaction reads to me, as a player who is hoping that a cop doesn't have a guilty on them. The purpose of the vote was to see how you reacted, and I really don't like what I see, so I'm keeping it.
Mizzy
Mizzy
Furry
Mizzy
Furry
Furry

Post Post #474 (ISO) » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:42 am

Post by Mizzy »

ortolan wrote:I don't see how I have? Your comment about me not having "saved" CR doesn't make any sense to me under either interpretation I've tried to apply to it- it's either simply true (because I saved him by unvoting) or you mean it in the sense that he is "cleared", and I don't know why you would assume that.
You have missed parts and tried to gracefully side-step the entire unjustification of your gripe about my suspicion on you.
ortolan wrote:I don't like voting for someone for being "anti-town" in the way you've done here. It implies you don't think they are scum but will vote for them anyway. This is what I was getting at- if you thought Ramus was scum, then you should have voted Axelrod. If you didn't think Ramus was scum, but simply a bad townie, you shouldn't have been voting for him to begin with. Townies are still townies nonetheless.
Scum are anti-town, are they not? It implies that all I knew about him for sure was that his play was anti-town. I can't know whether or not the person I suspect is scum, so I go with the basics first. And to me, scum are bad "townies." They try to appear as town but aren't actually pro-town. Your disagreement with my playstyle does not make me scummy.

So your entire case now stands on nothing but your dislike about my playstyle, which isn't actually scummy, you just don't agree with it.

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”