Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1125 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:05 pm

Post by Adel »

ortolan wrote:
Adel (1089) wrote:I have a player specific meta against qwints now: he has a scumtell. He, like many players before they learn better, mentions his scum buddy by name in his first post.
This scumtell is quite common for newer players, and is mostly useful in large games where the odds of a person typing another person's name are lower.

link to him naming his scumpartner with one other player in his first post where he names a name
The linked game is not a large game (thus making it more likely independently he would have mentioned his scumbuddy by name in his first post due to fewer players being able-to-be-mentioned). This makes your sample of one even less valid.
the small sample size problem is always present in mafia. My method of scumhunting always relies upon small shifts in probability.
Adel (1089) wrote:God did not kill Jebus last night. That means that Jebus is not Nietzsche, nor is he a Xian recruit. (God would've killed him just to make sure.) Later in the game anyone who is interested in figuring out who Jebus recruited night 0 can look though his past games and see what other player in this game demonstrated proficiency in his previous games. That will be who he recruited if he is a CR. (probably one of Jahudo, tajo, packman, or Silver)
Here you implicitly imply/acknowledge Jebus is a cult leader rather than God- "those interested in figuring out who Jebus recruited night 0" despite concluding he is in fact God.
I started my writing my analysis while sharing the assumption that Jebus was probably a CR. I concluded later that he is probably god.
Adel (1089) wrote:I think that it is much more likely that zakeri is being set up by Jahudo or Jebus.
You haven't justified this.
to me it feels like they are. It is hard to justify intuition with honesty. If you like I can do a PBPA and rationalize it (and make it sound good) but the source of my conclusion was intuition.
Adel (1089) wrote: There is a real chance that qwint naming Jebus as unrecruitable was a wifom gambit.. he had nothing to lose at that point.
From a theory perspective, what did qwints have to gain by WIFOMING us into choosing to lynch him or God? He would lose if either lynch went through.
he was going for his "secondary win" of god not dying even if he does. It is a reflex action of scum... even though the win conditions in this game are different, the instinct to distance from his scummate remained.
qwints (1089) wrote:he never mentioned the possibility that Jebus was god. That was his false premise.Note how complete his maths are in subsequent posts. He could not be unaware of the possibility that Jebus was god. He had to keep god alive, but he also had to keep himself alive. Naming Jebus as unrecruitable would keep N. from vigging god.
Um, if he took into account that Jebus would be God he had to assume he was lying about trying to recruit Jebus (because he, as a cult leader, knows who God is and would not try to recruit them). So this point isn't valid.
qwints wrote:prior probability of Jebus being Nietzsche = 1/19
prior probability of Jebus being cult leader = 2/19
prior probability of Jebus being agnostic = 16/19
there were 20 players in the game. 20-1 = 19. If he was taking his knowledge of who god is into account, the base number would've been 18 instead of 19. The point is valid.
Adel (1091) wrote:4. Players with hidden information (scum) are much more likely to name each other.
5. All of my chief scum suspects named Jebus multiple times.
So you're saying the cult players are likely to attack the other cult players e.g. Jebus.
"name" means typing his name into a post. I did not say they attacked him.
Jahudo (1096) wrote:And if Jebus is a CL we don't want to lynch him. I think it's a good bet he is because I still think he was asking god to kill someone he thought was Neitsche.
It's true. The likelihood of Jebus being a cult leader and us insta-losing by lynching him is still very, very, very high. I am also not inclined to believe it was a gambit by qwints to name God because firstly that would be 100% pointless for him achieving his win condition and secondly I probably would have expected to see at least some outrage, however muted, subtle or concealed from another cult player at qwints trying to "get God lynched" like that, but I didn't pick up on any.
no, you wouldn't see a damn thing because they wouldn't be sure how to respond. Then they would quickly lynch qwints, exactly what happened. qwints was absolutely correct that the optimal move for agnostics was to lynch Jebus. Notice how that didn't happen.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1126 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:11 pm

Post by Adel »

ortlan:

which of your games (completed within the last 9 months) are missing from this list?

Mini #717 - Alpha Centauri Smalltown (Game Over!) http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... c&&start=0
Mini #704: Hunchback of Notre Dame, Game Over http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... c&&start=0 (ort survived as scum)
Mini 711: Thursday Next: LiaGB Mafia - ABANDONED!
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
Mini 701 - That's a Wrap! (Game Over)
http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1127 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:31 pm

Post by ortolan »

Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1128 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Post by Adel »

thanks. If you remember more later, please let me know. My wiki page has mine, expect I think this game isn't on there, and mini 650 ended (I won as scum).
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1129 (ISO) » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:46 pm

Post by ortolan »

But I fear all you could conclude from these games is that I am crap as town and good as scum whereas I consider my town play has improved substantially since a lot of them (I say this because you have specifically commented on the fact I won as scum in one of the games).
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

Feel free to PM me to be ready in case I need a replacement.
hp [leaves]
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1130 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:44 am

Post by hp [leaves] »

I like the bandwagon power in this game.

Unvote, Vote Jebus
We must embrace the pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1131 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:20 am

Post by ortolan »

Adel (1125) wrote:
ortolan wrote:
Adel (1089) wrote:I have a player specific meta against qwints now: he has a scumtell. He, like many players before they learn better, mentions his scum buddy by name in his first post.
This scumtell is quite common for newer players, and is mostly useful in large games where the odds of a person typing another person's name are lower.

link to him naming his scumpartner with one other player in his first post where he names a name
The linked game is not a large game (thus making it more likely independently he would have mentioned his scumbuddy by name in his first post due to fewer players being able-to-be-mentioned). This makes your sample of one even less valid.
the small sample size problem is always present in mafia. My method of scumhunting always relies upon small shifts in probability.
Of course the other problem with this theory anyhow is that Jebus not being God is perfectly compatible with your theory of qwints. He may

1) Have genuinely recruited Jebus and was just lying about not having recruited him. In which case he is naming his scumbuddy (highly unlikely).

or

2) Have tried to but not been successful in recruiting Jebus. He knows he is a form of scum, like himself, thus he votes him, naming something like his "scumbuddy" (reasonably likely).

Of course if your "naming scumbuddy" theory isn't correct (also reasonably likely), then in the case of the second point (the first is still highly unlikely), it's very, very plausible he indeed tried to recruit Jebus, failed, knows he's an enemy cult or Nietzsche and thus wanted to vote/lynch/kill him, irrespective of whether he usually vote scumbuddies in his first post. So you are flawed in that your determination of his meta is poorly founded, plus even if you are correct he may still have been complying with your meta on him if Jebus isn't God.
Adel (1125) wrote:to me it feels like they are. It is hard to justify intuition with honesty. If you like I can do a PBPA and rationalize it (and make it sound good) but the source of my conclusion was intuition.
You'll need more than this, sorry. You can't fall back on "intuition" when you're talking about doing something which looks likely to lose us the game.
Adel (1125) wrote:he was going for his "secondary win" of god not dying even if he does. It is a reflex action of scum... even though the win conditions in this game are different, the instinct to distance from his scummate remained.
He openly acknowledged his desire to protect God. He might be a unique (and special) player but I have to assume cult leaders would play like I would i.e. being indifferent to whether they or God were lynched, because they lose either way.
Adel (1125) wrote:there were 20 players in the game. 20-1 = 19. If he was taking his knowledge of who god is into account, the base number would've been 18 instead of 19. The point is valid.
Big, big assumption. I've made mistakes like that when I forgot take into account whether I'm calculating probability from someone's perspective or in general like that before.
Adel (1125) wrote:
Adel (1091) wrote:4. Players with hidden information (scum) are much more likely to name each other.
5. All of my chief scum suspects named Jebus multiple times.
So you're saying the cult players are likely to attack the other cult players e.g. Jebus.
"name" means typing his name into a post. I did not say they attacked him.
That may be true, but it's not relevant to the point I was making. Change to "So you're saying the cult players are likely to
name
the other cult players e.g. Jebus." It doesn't mean Jebus is
God

Adel (1125) wrote:no, you wouldn't see a damn thing because they wouldn't be sure how to respond. Then they would quickly lynch qwints, exactly what happened. qwints was absolutely correct that the optimal move for agnostics was to lynch Jebus. Notice how that didn't happen.
You possibly have an argument for saying that lynching qwints was wrong in
retrospect
but at the time we definitely did not know that qwints was a cult leader rather than God, and I for one thought there was a decent chance of it considering he'd already lied once about the full extent of his scumminess.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1132 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:00 am

Post by Adel »

ortolan wrote:But I fear all you could conclude from these games is that I am crap as town and good as scum whereas I consider my town play has improved substantially since a lot of them (I say this because you have specifically commented on the fact I won as scum in one of the games).
it is hard to take you seriously as a player after reading this post. I'll respond to your latest wall of words when I've finished laughing... probably in about 14 hours.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1133 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:13 am

Post by ortolan »

^^ ???

Just calling it as I see it. Meta'ing me for this game would be stupid as I am obviously town anyhow.
Currently modding Mole Mafia: http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20529

ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1134 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:21 am

Post by ortolan »

no but seriously I don't understand the motivation behind the "har har I have no respect for you roflmao roflmao" content of the above post.

X
X
Mafia Scum
X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1135 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:57 am

Post by X »

Adel, are you going to respond to my earlier post?
ortolan wrote:
X (1095) wrote:
ortolan wrote:um the fact DGB-cult and Jebus-OBVCULT are on mykonian's wagon is enough reason to pile off it in droves.

Please vote Zakeri and I'll give you candy.
I take your premises ("DGB-cult and Jebus-OBVCULT") with significant doubt.
Why? I already went into great detail on why Jebus is a cult leader. By extension DGB pushing for his lynch means she is probably of the other cult.
Jebus would have drawn the NK unless he was God or a CL. You can't eliminate the possibility of him being God just by saying that qwints was trying to get him lynched. There wasn't enough time for enough people to switch to a Jebus lynch on D1, and I think qwints knew this. Plus, this claim is now
preventing
us from lynching Jebus...and qwints was trying to ensure that God wouldn't be lynched. I'm really not sure that Jebus is God, but I'm certainly not ready to eliminate the possibility.
ortolan wrote:
X (1095) wrote:And you're eliminating mykonian based on...
I don't even know why mykonian was ever being voted. Can someone give me a summary of the supposed case against him?
Here. A few things have been added since then, but not much.

hp[leaves], it's about time for you to contribute to the game. ZSW is able to pull off the whole one-liner thing by posting often, but your posting level ain't acceptable.
zwetschenwasser
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
Doktor der Musik

Post Post #1136 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:31 am

Post by zwetschenwasser »

I'm contemplating the WIFOM of Jebus. I see Jebus as a cult recruiter largely because of quints last ditch attempt at providing info. I don't think quints would be such a genius as to think out beforehand the extreme WIFOM he would plunge the town in by bussing Jebus, and I think quints was telling the truth.
UW Huskies Class of 2014!
Spontaneous Bastard Mafia II is accepting replacements.
pacman281292
pacman281292
Mafia Scum
pacman281292
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1137 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:33 am

Post by pacman281292 »

zwetschenwasser wrote:It's not obvious that DGB is culted.
Either she is, or she is more insane than what we thought.
Adel's reasoning is good, but I'm still not sure. Zakeri, are you there?
Show
Current statistics (not counting games previous to June 2010):
Align: W/L/O
Town: 0/1/0
Scum: 1/0/0
Other: 0/0/0
Jahudo
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Jahudo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1138 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:41 am

Post by Jahudo »

X wrote:There wasn't enough time for enough people to switch to a Jebus lynch on D1, and I think qwints knew this.
Yeah, it was too late. Maybe we shouldn't underestimate qwints in that regard.
Lord Gurgi
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Lord Gurgi
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post Post #1139 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:30 am

Post by Lord Gurgi »

The Eighteenth Votecount:

I got not jokes. Have a chicken.

hp [leaves] --- 0 {None}
DrippingGoofball --- 0 {None}
Jahudo --- 0 {None}
Jebus --- 6 {Adel, DrippingGoofball, SilverPhoenix, populartajo, Double A, hp [leaves]}
mask man --- 0 {None}
mykonian --- 4 {Jebus, X, zwetschenwasser, Jahudo}
ortolan --- 0 {None}
pacman281292 --- 1 {Zakeri}
populartajo --- 0 {None}
SilverPhoenix --- 0 {None}
Indigo Heron --- 0 {None}
Adel --- 0 {None}
Ting =) --- 0 {None}
Double A --- 0 {None}
X --- 0 {None}
al_kohaulec --- 0 {None}
Zakeri --- 2 {ortolan, pacman281292}
zwetschenwasser --- 0 {None}

Not Voting --- 5 {mask man, mykonian, Indigo Heron, al_kohaulec, Ting =)}

Ten votes to lynch. The deadline is on
March 24th
at 4:00 PM PST.

Looking for a replacement for Ting =), the other guys have another day. I may need to give an extension.

Disclaimer: This is just flavour, anything you think you're getting from it, you're not. There's nothing here to get. Go away.
(11:26:07 PM) thesheamuffin: I'm counting gurgi because I would probably make out with him if I were drunk enough
hp [leaves]
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
hp [leaves]
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1140 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:50 am

Post by hp [leaves] »

X wrote:hp[leaves], it's about time for you to contribute to the game. ZSW is able to pull off the whole one-liner thing by posting often, but your posting level ain't acceptable.
I'm waiting for the Jebus wagon to get somewhere.
We must embrace the pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1141 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:51 pm

Post by Adel »

X wrote:Adel, are you going to respond to my earlier post?
post number?
zwetschenwasser
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
Doktor der Musik

Post Post #1142 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:28 pm

I DON'T LIKE THE JEBUS WAGON. Stop it before we fall victim to the curse of WIFOM.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1143 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Post by Adel »

someone shouting "WIFOM" is not an excuse to stop thinking. Once you learn to work through that shit, and high win % will be yours.
zwetschenwasser
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
zwetschenwasser
Doktor der Musik
Doktor der Musik

Post Post #1144 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:37 pm

Quints wasn't a mad genius. He couldn't have planned this WIFOM.
X
X
Mafia Scum
X
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1145 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:52 pm

Post by X »

Adel: 1116.
ortolan
ortolan
Mafia Scum
ortolan
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1146 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:08 pm

Post by ortolan »

Adel and also please reply to my latest little number and tell us why you why you're so happy to lynch someone, who, is in all probability, a cult leader

Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1147 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:13 pm

Post by Adel »

X wrote:
Adel wrote:A question specifically for X: if Nietzsche killed, what happens to god? How can you fulfill your win condition once Nietzsche is dead?
Odd question. I assume you mean if Nietzsche is killed...God leaves the game. It's impossible to fulfill my win condition at that point. However, it's possible to win after that point by getting recruited - i.e., getting my win condition changed.

Why do you ask? And why me?
I was testing you for an interesting reaction or blunder.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1148 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:14 pm

Post by Adel »

ortolan wrote:But I fear all you could conclude from these games is that I am crap as town and good as scum whereas I consider my town play has improved substantially since a lot of them (I say this because you have specifically commented on the fact I won as scum in one of the games).
if you don't believe that developing a player specific meta has utility, then I doubt that your town play has improved much. You probably still believe in "universal scumtells" like that "errors in logic" = scuminess.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #1149 (ISO) » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:15 pm

Post by Adel »

ortolan wrote:^^ ???

Just calling it as I see it. Meta'ing me for this game would be stupid as I am obviously town anyhow.
lol.

Return to “Completed Large Theme Games”