Newbie 844 - Game Over (Scum Win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:41 pm

Post by startransmission »

xvart wrote:How about everyone else list their suspect list, since you two already have?
From most scummy to least:
hitogoroshi
xvart
annachie
HackerHuck

Just for the record I've always found a massclaim to be incredibly valuable in a LyLo situation. It pins scum to a certain position. In this case there are no power roles, but it's good to have everyones position in stone. I was a cop in one game and and went after somebody on the last day, and because there was no massclaim to start things off the other person claimed to be the cop and called me a liar. I won't forget how frustrating, let alone dangerous, that was.

hitogoroshi, you're at the top of my list because I get the least townie read from you. I don't have a case against you, and I think me being in the situation I'm in a case from me wouldn't go too far anyways. You say I have content impending, but I'm not sure what to say. I explained my hammer. I was swayed by the arguments against Kill-Kill, and I placed the hammer. In hindsight it was one of the most poorly timed and thought out votes I've ever placed. It may well jeopardize the game, and I'm kicking myself over it. Not sure what else to say.

Like I said I think the best thing for me to do is answer questions, and weigh in on points where I see fit. Any point of view I have will be looked at/spun as an attempt to get a wagon going... so I'm going to be active but passive. This will be one hell of a day, I hope I can convince the right people that my vote yesterday was me being a boob, not scum hammering a townie.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Post by Annachie »

This might wander a bit as I add to it during the day

just me
DarthRandal1138
HackerHuck 1
Annachie2
fhqwhgads, Pyrogen

xvart
Pyrogen
4 xvart, startransmission,
DarthRandal1138
, Annachie
hitogoroshi 1 HackerHuck
startransmission
fhqwhgads

Not Voting

hitogoroshi
just me
With Hito voting the hammer after this list was written.

Then:
Kill-Kill (townie) is lynched

Kill-kill
4 Annachie, xvart,
DarthRandal1138
, startransmission
DarthRandal1138

HackerHuck
Annachie
xvart
hitogoroshi
startransmission 1 HackerHuck

Notvoting

Kill-kill

hitogoroshi
This will wander a bit as I add to it during the day

With only 4 people left, not counting myself, 2 of them scum and 3 of them experienced, then we must have 1 experienced player as a scum, and quite possibly both. Since the odds of both SE's being picked as scum at the outset are lowish (1/512) as opposed to 17/512 for one of them being scum)

Which means the NK is being directed by an experienced player.
HH wrote:I'll simply say that there's usually not a lot of value in pondering why the scum selected a certain person for their NK. I also don't really see it as helping the scum either, so feel free to discuss. Newbie games are a little different though, because scum though processes aren't always the same as they are with a more experienced group.
Since there's a great chance of there being experienced scum I wonder about HH's comment on discussing the NK. Something the becomes aparent at this point of the game anyway.

The other part I want to think about is the final vote counts:

If HH is scum, then he has managed to not vote the lynch in both votes.
If Hito is scum, then he hammered one lynch and not voted the second.
If Xvart is scum, then he voted in both lynches, persuaded me to vote in one (Though Pyro did more of that himself). Started one and voted 2nd. Not normally scumy vote spots from what I understand.
If Star is scum, then his hammer drops him in it a little, and he was involved in both lynches.

My gut read then is HH and Hito for avoiding votes. (HH's one
final
vote was on Hito)
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Post by xvart »

hito - I'm just saying that it puts the town in a precarious situation as I see the division (or not necessarily a division, but the obvious agreement between you and HH) to be easily manipulated by the scum into getting a lynch in their favor, especially if there is a scum on both sides of the aisle.

All I'm saying is I'm not comfortable with you two only looking at the three of us. We've been worked by the mafia so far, so I'm not ruling out anyone. The fact that the two of you are focusing on only three people (the same three people) right out of the gate is a big concern to me.

xvart.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:36 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

xvart wrote: Woah. I'm not sure I like the fact that you two have already divided the town into two separate groups: you two and the rest of us. Especially since both of you seem to think that one of us is scum. That means that both of you must admit that one of you could possibly be scum, so you have already potentially set up a alliance with a scum member; which would play right into the hands of the mafia. If you two vote the same way (seems likely right now), and there is one scum member in the three you listed you have just lost the game for the town. Are you both so confident that the other is town? You two do seem rather buddy buddy in the opening of this day; and while that may seem bold for both of you to so obviously be pairing up together if you both were mafia; so I would lean towards the person that agreed with the first suspect list: hitogoroshi.
First, I don't see how it can be buddying up when I was very clear about not liking Hito's request for the massclaim. Secondly, it doesn't matter if I think he's town or scum. As
my good buddy
Hitogoroshi said, I
know
that there has to be at least one scum on the wagon. In fact, this was the same point I made at the end of Day 1 when I avoided Kill-kill, so you can be assured that I believe both scum were on the Day 1 wagon. Lastly, I don't get what you're saying at the end of that quote. If we're buddying up, what makes him scummier than me?
startransmission wrote:Like I said I think the best thing for me to do is answer questions, and weigh in on points where I see fit. Any point of view I have will be looked at/spun as an attempt to get a wagon going... so I'm going to be active but passive.
This is not a good idea. We're in LYLO, not endgame, so if you're alive tomorrow we'll be in endgame with little additional content from you. I also need to see how you're acting toward others and making cases to determine whether you're just a boob.
Annachie wrote:With only 4 people left, not counting myself, 2 of them scum and 3 of them experienced, then we must have 1 experienced player as a scum, and quite possibly both. Since the odds of both SE's being picked as scum at the outset are lowish (1/512) as opposed to 17/512 for one of them being scum)

Which means the NK is being directed by an experienced player.
HH wrote:I'll simply say that there's usually not a lot of value in pondering why the scum selected a certain person for their NK. I also don't really see it as helping the scum either, so feel free to discuss. Newbie games are a little different though, because scum though processes aren't always the same as they are with a more experienced group.
Since there's a great chance of there being experienced scum I wonder about HH's comment on discussing the NK. Something the becomes aparent at this point of the game anyway.
You have a good point here - just not about me. This is like my first time playing this newbie setup (I did start in another newbie game at the same time as this) and we previously only had one IC and no SEs. I'm not familiar with the requirements for SE, but even newer ICs are not that experienced when it comes to NK strategy. Looking at the start dates of Startransmission and Hito, I'd definitely agree with you (although Startransmission does make me wonder ;))
Annachie wrote: The other part I want to think about is the final vote counts:

If Xvart is scum, then he voted in both lynches, persuaded me to vote in one (Though Pyro did more of that himself). Started one and voted 2nd. Not normally scumy vote spots from what I understand.
If Star is scum, then his hammer drops him in it a little, and he was involved in both lynches.

final
vote was on Hito)
This is a good way to analyse a wagon. A word of caution here. We did have rather unusual hammers in both situations. When up against a deadline (D1), or when dealing with a relatively quick lynch (D2), then the voting patterns/order should be looked at differently. I also don't get what you mean by my
final
vote on Hito. My question for you is whether you think that both scum could be so good that they essentially avoided both lynches? (Hito's vote was at deadline to avoid a no-lynch, so that means he was a reluctant hammer) That also implies that the entire town was very well snookered.

I've got two final comments about LYLO. We obviously don't want a short day, but we also don't want to run up against deadline either. Ideally you want the scum to place the first vote, but that could lead to a stalemate situation that means no votes until the very end where we're rushed. The other thing is that just because someone gets one vote on them and isn't lynched right away, that doesn't mean they're the scum. It can be hard to time the one-two punch needed to nail a townie, and I've seen scum slow play it enough where the town ends up lynching their own without scum help.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:39 pm

HackerHuck wrote:
startransmission wrote:Like I said I think the best thing for me to do is answer questions, and weigh in on points where I see fit. Any point of view I have will be looked at/spun as an attempt to get a wagon going... so I'm going to be active but passive.
This is not a good idea. We're in LYLO, not endgame, so if you're alive tomorrow we'll be in endgame with little additional content from you. I also need to see how you're acting toward others and making cases to determine whether you're just a boob.
While I did say I would be passive today, I also said I would be active. Too little too late, sure- but you'll get content. And I guarantee you that if there is another day it is because I'll be alive. That is not an appeal to emotion, btw. It's lylo.
HackerHuck wrote: Looking at the start dates of Startransmission and Hito, I'd definitely agree with you (although Startransmission does make me wonder ;))
God fucking dammit. I know I dug my own grave here, but this sucks. I'm a damn fine mafia player, but I let this game slip and now I'm the ass of the ball. It's infuriating. I'm gonna bite the leather, but I'm not going down quiet.
Annachie wrote:If Star is scum, then his hammer drops him in it a little, and he was involved in both lynches.
I'm not scum, and I'm in it quite a bit as it is.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:50 pm

Post by Annachie »

final vote
I was trying for the concept of where your vote was at the time the voting was ended. ie: when the hammer vote was cast.
I try not to sign things. It just encourages people.
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:56 am

Post by xvart »

HackerHuck wrote:First, I don't see how it can be buddying up when I was very clear about not liking Hito's request for the massclaim. Secondly, it doesn't matter if I think he's town or scum. As
my good buddy
Hitogoroshi said, I
know
that there has to be at least one scum on the wagon. In fact, this was the same point I made at the end of Day 1 when I avoided Kill-kill, so you can be assured that I believe both scum were on the Day 1 wagon.
I didn't say you were "buddy buddy" but that you
seemed
"buddy buddy." Maybe a small difference, but when two people come straight out of the gate after a massclaim with essentially the same commentary it does raise my concern.
HackerHuck wrote:Lastly, I don't get what you're saying at the end of that quote. If we're buddying up, what makes him scummier than me?
The fact that he agreed with you, since you were the first to post. That's why I don't necessarily think it was some plot, and while the appearance is there, he has directly agreed with the direction you two want to pursue. If the town is to believe both of you, then both of you are automatically in the clear because you have each other for support (whether you intended it or not); and I'm not convinced one of you isn't scum and I don't feel comfortable not looking into you two. That being the case, having one scum on each side could lead to easy manipulation of the voting (I think), and the fact that hito put us in that place makes me suspicious of him.
Annachie wrote:The other part I want to think about is the final vote counts:

final
vote was on Hito)
I don't believe that both scum could have avoided being on both lynch trains; if that is the case, I'm going to feel really bamboozled after this is over. I'm going to think more on these voting patterns, such as they are.

xvart.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:14 am

Post by starkmoon »

HackerHuck
Annachie
xvart
hitogoroshi
startransmission

Not Voting

HackerHuck
Annachie
xvart
hitogoroshi
startransmission
Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:56 am

Post by hitogoroshi »

xvart wrote:hito - I'm just saying that it puts the town in a precarious situation as I see the division (or not necessarily a division, but the obvious agreement between you and HH) to be easily manipulated by the scum into getting a lynch in their favor, especially if there is a scum on both sides of the aisle.

All I'm saying is I'm not comfortable with you two only looking at the three of us. We've been worked by the mafia so far, so I'm not ruling out anyone. The fact that the two of you are focusing on only three people (the same three people) right out of the gate is a big concern to me.
Once again, the point I am making is that there is NO agreement between HH and I - but with these small numbers,
even if HH is scum there is still an 100% chance that at least one of you, Anna, and Star are scum.
There's no division to be had here.
The other part I want to think about is the final vote counts:

My gut read then is HH and Hito for avoiding votes. (HH's one final vote was on Hito)
Anna, add yourself onto that list. In the form of, "If I am scum, then...".
I don't believe that both scum could have avoided being on both lynch trains; if that is the case, I'm going to feel really bamboozled after this is over. I'm going to think more on these voting patterns, such as they are.
This is normally a pretty good line of thought. I think it's a bit mitigated here because of the odd circumstances of this particular game, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:45 pm

Post by Annachie »

Hito, why would I think "If I am scum then ..." That post was me thinking out loud so to speak.

I wouldn't normally think that both scum could have avoided the trains so easily either but Pyro made it easy and 2 replacements at around the end of day 1 also confuses things. Kill-Kill's "I normally play scummy" is also exceptional. These 3 things are what make me think that Star and xvart are more likely town, and HH and Hito are more likel scum (Just taking the end of day votes into consideration that is)

Off to read DarthRandal's posts some more
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:51 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

Yes, but none of us can be so certain that you're town. What I'm saying is, how do YOU think the end of day votes paint you?
"Don’t buy a dozen eggs if you just want a hardboiled egg. Don’t buy a head of lettuce if you just want a salad. Don’t buy eggs and lettuce if you want egg salad because those are not the right ingredients." -Julius Bloop
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Post by xvart »

Okay then, let me ask this then: you think HH is town? Or do you think he is least likely scum? You picked the exact same three people he did, and gave the exact same argument, so you two must be in agreement about something, even if it is unspoken or unintentional. Especially when you did not give any reason. It certainly appears that you could have just as easily picked three names out of hat for those three, or you could have just listed the three that had already been listed.

So let me play this game, too. Out of hitogoroshi, HackerHuck, and startransmission I know at least one of you is scum, for the same reason you gave. If we all make a list like that we can build a logic puzzle out of it.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:48 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

It won't work as a logic puzzle, because we obviously can't build a single composite list (there would be no one on it!) But you have the right idea in that, if you know you're town, at least one of HH, ST, and I must be scum.

And of course our 'lists' are identical - that was the entire point of the comment! I do think HH is least likely scum, and so we can work together to nail scum - even while we suspect the other. If he pings my scumdar this will change, but for now, if I have to pick someone to scum-hunt with it's HH.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:32 pm

Post by Annachie »

hitogoroshi wrote:Yes, but none of us can be so certain that you're town. What I'm saying is, how do YOU think the end of day votes paint you?
Town.

I think that xvart's persuasion was obvious, though still a good lynch for the reasons he gave, and my vote on kill-kill was always going to happen. I've been up front with how and why I've voted, and that's got to be a town thing.

(Ok, it might have been KK or HH, but KK made that choice with the way he started)

If I was to pick 3 people to most likely contain the 2 scum ...
Star, HH, Hito.

Star's Hammer.
HH's NK comments.
Hito' Hammer.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:44 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Annachie- It seems like you think that only scum throw down the hammer. That seems a little too simplistic - not to mention false.

I'm also curious about why my comments about the night kill make you think that I'm scum? What benefit is it to the town to debate the reasons behind the nightkill?
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Post by Annachie »

I know, it does look that way, and I do know better.
I know we should look at L-1 and L-2, the votes before the hammer vote. (and I hope I got the term right.)
First lynch the final 3 votes were Darth, me and Hito. I know I'm town, I know Darth is town so Hito gains a quantum of suspicion
Second lynch the final 3 were xvarth, Darth, and Star.
Again, I know Darth is town, so xvarth and star earn themselves a quantum of suspicion each.
The way Star's vote happened earns another one.
and as someone said, both lynchings that we've had have been unusual to some degree

HH, it seems to me that you were implying that the scum were inexperienced so the NK choice isn't useful info.

What benifit? Well either it's completely random or done for a reason and with 2 people involved in the decision I can't believe it's random. Therefor it's worth trying to figure out the reason. Hence saying to ignore the reasons for the NK is suspicious. (IMO)

There must be an experienced player there so it must be of some significance.
The first one seemed to try to implicate me, the second one seemed to implicate Star. Rookie players might NK people who are targeting them, but I doubt that experienced ones would. (Ok WIFOM but would that work with inexperienced townies?)

Ultimately though, I'm wodering if I should ignore the thinking and play the odds :)
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:18 am

Post by xvart »

Is there legitimacy to the L-2 vote being a tell? I remember something similar when I was reading a wiki article a while back about cop hunting or scum hunting and vote placement, but I don't recall if it was the L-2 spot... And now I can't find it. I could see that, since a scum member wouldn't want to appear as starting the lynch, initiating the train, or in hammering.

xvart.
I only read quote walls.

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:43 am

Post by Annachie »

I remember the same wiki article I think.

I'm not sure how much significance to attach to L-2 as opposed to the other vote spots. But with 2 scum who I suspect woulld not want to vote one after the other there must be some.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:57 am

I'm not too sure about how much value inspecting wagons has right now. Unless I see a convincing case otherwise, I'm going to

Vote: Hitogoroshi

I have a town read on HH and Annachie, and a fairly neutral read on xvart. All of this is gut, and I'm not trying to start a wagon.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

ಠ_ಠ

Do you realize the scum need only one town vote on a townie to win? And you're not trying to start a ****ing wagon? YOU ARE THE WAGON.

It's kind of hard not to judge you for dropping a vote at an incredibly inopportune time when you try to make that your new habit.

I would counter-vote you but if you're a townie I'd be making the same mistake you are.

Anna, the fact is that there are many reasons to nk someone and out thinking the scum in a non-PR situation is largely moot. They may not be choosing randomly but with enough factors their decision may as well be random from our perspective.

I can understand you wanting to focus on the votes (because they exonerate you the most ;)) but this is a time for good old-fashioned scumhunting.

I'll post more later tonight when I have time.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Yet another vote that seemingly comes from nowhere. This is about a perfect example of WIFOM. You've done something so obviously scummy that scum would never do it....but they do sometimes act so obviously so it's really a null-tell in my eyes. I'm quite surprised that you decided to go that route, but I guess you could think that you have enough support for a lynch. Xvart mentioned that he would prefer Hito over me and Annachie has said that he would vote for either me or Hito. I'd really like to understand your thought process a little better - which is what I was getting at earlier. From the little bit you posted, it sounds like Hitogoroshi is scum by process of elimination, not by the fact that he's actually done anything you consider scummy. Why him and not xvart?
hitogoroshi
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
hitogoroshi
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:17 pm

Post by hitogoroshi »

The thing I wanted to look at I mentioned in my last post -

I did not opportunistically hammer D1, I called it out ahead of time to ensure we avoided a no lynch and Anna responded with this:
Why?

1: You don't want to be seen as the hammer, a scummy spot.
2: You don't want Pyro lynched and are trying to avoid someone else placing the 5th vote so that when you 'convienently' forget to vote we get a no-lynch instead.
3: You are trying some weird psych thing to get the votes to shift.
Number 2 in particular suggests you knew the exact reasoning behind why I called out and later followed through with the hammer. Yet, now, it's a scum point (or quantum of suspicion) against me. When did that change, exactly?
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:21 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

I get what Annachie means with #2, but I don't understand what you're trying to say about it.
Annachie
Annachie
Goon
Annachie
Goon
Goon

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:19 pm

Post by Annachie »

I admit now I know more about your reasoning Hito.

It's more an assumption that Hammer == suspicion. Just a little bit.

Oh, and Hito. There's a 50/50 chance that you are scum reguardless of any evidence? Not bad odds at this stage considering. (and to be honest, I think it's 2 chances in 3 that you are)
xvart
xvart
Mafia Scum
xvart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:21 am

Post by xvart »

Annachie wrote:Oh, and Hito. There's a 50/50 chance that you are scum reguardless of any evidence? Not bad odds at this stage considering. (and to be honest, I think it's 2 chances in 3 that you are)
I'd rather not flip a coin on the outcome of this game. And man, ST, I really didn't see a vote coming at that moment. That's one way to generate discussion.

hito is obviously on the stand right now, but what about startransmissions vote? HackerHuck said ideally we want the scum to place the first vote. Did that just happen?

xvart.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”