Newbie 865 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Nicodemus
Nicodemus
Goon
Nicodemus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #350 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:39 am

Post by Nicodemus »

OK, I'm convinced. Here's hoping the game ends now.

Vote: imkingdavid
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #351 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Post by Elmo »

Day 3, Vote Count #4

imkingdavid (3) <- qax42, Toon Fighter, Nicodemus

Not voting: imkingdavid, tracker

The
deadline
is Sunday, 27th December 20:00 UTC, which is 9 days, 18 hours and 29 minutes from this post. If deadline hits, there will be No Lynch.
With 5 alive, it's 3 to lynch.

imkingdavid
Mafia Goon
, has been lynched!

Town wins!
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #352 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:08 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

Eh, so much for that.

Well, good job, everyone. I figured I wouldn't be lasting much longer once qax showed up and basically sealed the deal with his WOT (Wall Of Text).

I guess my first major mistake was jumping on the Gayle wagon. I should have voted SP and then NKed Hercule. There was no way I could have prevented NCJ from linking himself to me, but that also was a big thing for some of you, I think.
In any case, I believe the game was pretty much sealed when qax posted his wall. I was having a hard time coming up with non-scummy sounding responses, and I was even considering just not responding at all, which is why my post was so late. However, since I am IC, it was my responsibility to not flake because that sets a bad example for the newer players.
Moral of the story? Don't flake when you're scum, even if you don't see a way out. At worst, you should die trying.

SP's fake claim as town was pretty rotten.
Never do that
as town, even if you lose interest in the game. Even though it ended up screwing scum over instead of town, often times it has the opposite affect, and you'll get on a lot of peoples' bad sides no matter what the outcome is. That is where the Lynch All Liars idea comes from.

Anyway, I sent a PM to elmo to make sure things weren't messed up, but he just responded saying he hadn't made any mistakes. So I knew SP wasn't cop right away (since I knew Gayle wasn't scum). And that's where I screwed up big time. I made a choice (the wrong one) and voted Gayle, even though it would have been obviously better for me if I had voted SP. Had that happened, I would have played off his VT (vanilla townie) flip as Lynch All Liars. And then I could have continued my attack on HP (that is, if he had ever responded) without all the BS caused by the Gayle lynch.

Also, I know it's common for scum to share their night talk, but before you guys ask, there was absolutely 0 (none, nada). I posted in the quick topic but NCJ never responded, and then he was dead before the next night. It would have been nice to get some pre-game planning out of the way, and it might have turned out in scum's favor had we been able to.

@ elmo:
First off, thanks for modding the game. You were active and prompt with your vote counts, and you weren't too slow in finding replacements as needed. I hope to have you as a mod again sometime.
Secondly, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the overall gameplay by each player. I'd like to see how I can improve my game, besides making a voting mistake and trying to peg weak and baseless accusations against someone (RPG) early on.

My thoughts:
NCJ
- Dude, it was a decent first game. I can understand how you probably got kind of scared having to jump right in as scum, especially when I pretty much turned on you to save my own reputation. Just keep in mind that if one scum wins, all scum win, even dead ones. Too bad that didn't work out. Maybe if you had tried defending yourself a little more, you could have escaped a lynch. Who knows. Anyway, I haven't really checked to see, but if you haven't signed up for another game, you should. Don't let this one get you down; you win some you lose some. Who knows, maybe we'll be in another game together.

tracker
- All I can say is, as scum, I detest starting out with questions. As town, it's a good idea, but I would much rather have had an RVS and possibly created some confusion there right off the bat. I always have trouble answering questions or finding my own to ask people, whereas I can usually find something to say about a vote. But anyway, good game. I hope to play with you again sometime.

RPG
- Nice to play another game with you. Sorry about the BS vote based on meta. I actually really did think that it was true, although that was purely based on memory since I hadn't actually done any research myself. That was a big mistake on my part. I was just trying to get some quick lynch in order, even though that probably wouldn't have helped me out much in the long run. Why did I kill you first? You seemed like one of the more pro-town players that would be on to me, since you'd played with my before as town and would be able to pick out any differences and peg me as scum because of them. Anyway, good game, maybe we'll be in another together sometime.

Gayle
- My bad on that quick lynch. I didn't really think it through very well. Although it would have been better if you hadn't self-hammered; that is generally a bad thing to do in any game, except in very special circumstances (at least, that's what I've heard; I can't think of any myself). Good job with scum hunting. Hope to play another game with you soon.

PaltryExcuse
- As soon as I voted Gayle, I knew you'd have something to say about it, so I had to get rid of you. That's why you were gone on night 2. I kept you alive at the start because you were for the most part on my side and didn't seem to have much suspicions of me until the Gayle vote. Anyway, you were doing a very good job with scum hunting, so great game. Hopefully we'll meet again.

Nicodemus
- well, you really had it pretty easy with the timing of your replace in. Your cop claim pretty much made it final. I could only do so much to try and plant the idea that you were trying another hoax. I guess you are lucky that the mod happened to choose me for the random investigation. Anyway, Nice job! See you around!

qax
- when I said I hoped to hear your thoughts, I wasn't being completely serious. And I wasn't expecting how indepth it was. You make a very good scum hunter and I knew I was a goner as soon as I saw your first analysis post. Although, you never did respond to my points. But I guess it's a bit late for that. I hope to play with you again, but next time on the same side!

TF
- What can I say? you played alright, although you weren't as active as you could have been. I didn't really have very much to put against you throughout the game. Good game. See you around.

Well, that's basically all I have to say.
Gayle
Gayle
Goon
Gayle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #353 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:53 pm

Post by Gayle »

I was completely wrong the entire game. I don't think I questioned IKD even once. When I hammered myself, I was too focused on SirPent to even consider that IKD might be mafia. Also, it somehow eluded me that hammering myself would also cause another townie to be NK'd. Sorry 'bout that PE.

I wonder how the game would have turned out without the fakeclaim though.
Nicodemus
Nicodemus
Goon
Nicodemus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #354 (ISO) » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:04 pm

Post by Nicodemus »

Yeah, it's kind of annoying that I joined the game when it was basically over, but I'm still glad I did. The game was really interesting to read, and I'm glad I could help lynch scum (although qax did all the work by himself, good job man, you made an excellent scum-hunter). My biggest question for IKD is why didn't you hammer SirPent when you had the chance? You could have easily explained it as retribution for his lie the day before, and then NKed qax before he could make his case against you. I know you were trying to recover from your questionable vote on Gayle the day before, but honestly no one would have blamed you for lynching SP, at least in my eyes.

Everyone else did good in this game, although I can't say much specifically because I just got through reading another game where scum was killed D1 (the other mafia was able to pull out the win though, it was pretty epic), so everything that I want to say is about that game. Once again, congrats to qax on the case against IKD, it really sealed the deal in my eyes, in addition to the cop claim (which really sucked for you IKD, because you might have been able to pull it out if you hadn't been scanned).

Good game everyone, hopefully I'll be able to play with more of you for a longer time next time.
Ythan, on my play: "Scummy and bad are not the same. Some players manage to keep them separate, though I applaud how masterfully you blend them."
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #355 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:46 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

'lo all. And a "Hi, I'm PE" to those who replaced in after my death.

Firstly, a
thanks to Elmo
for modding. Prompt, consistent, answered any questions. Overall, good stuff.

Zee list of players:
NCJ:
If you're still on the site, I'd welcome you to play again. Flaking basically sealed your fate as the Day 1 Lynch. You seem like a smart guy, but, you kind of did the same thing I did Day 1 in my first game. I was scum there, so I was watching for someone to do something similar.

RPG:
Active, analytical and objective are three good qualities you had in this game. Overall, nice play.

Gayle:
No need to apologize, just don't self-lynch. One idiot troll shouldn't be a reason to remove yourself from a game (they should be removed from the game... and was removed). Otherwise, I had a town vibe on you for pretty much the whole game, hence why I knew the SirPent cop claim was a lie. There was no question in my mind (although this kind of certainty can definitely get me in trouble later). If you're innocent and not a miller, and someone claims to have a guilty on you, you push right back.

IKD:
Actually, I didn't have a pro-town read on you, and at my death you were target number 1 (which I made too obvious, leading to my subsequent death). You were target number 2 (and sometimes 1) after day 1, as NCJ's behaviour towards you seemed to be too friendly (see my insistence that bussing is possible in early Day 2). He targetted every active person except you. I think I would've been less suspicious if you voted NCJ before tracker. Otherwise, you distanced yourself well from NCJ, and without him I don't think I would've suspected you going into Day 2.
Just want to say, it was a dire situation when qax replaced in, and I give you major respect points for fighting it out until the bitter end. Many would fold, or give haphazard attempts, but you played to your win condition the whole time. Kudos.
I would like you to answer why you didn't hammer SirPent as Nicodemus suggested on Day 3 before he replaced in. You even had tracked on the lynch to cause some confusion to carry him to Day 4's lylo.

Toon Fighter
: Your day 1 play was a bit newbie, but you seemed to learn going into day 2, and then into day 3. Being aggressive at people you suspect (though not mean) is a good way to get them talking and possibly incriminate themselves. Otherwise, I'd say you have a head for the game.

qax42
: Thanks for being the smart cop you were. You came in with a guilty, but realized the town's situation and came in with a case as well. Awesome sauce.

Nicodemus
: You didn't really have a chance to play the game, but you were logical about qax's cop claim and how I saw it brought the game to its inevitable conclusion. Hope to play with you sometime.

Fun game overall! My first where I actually nailed a scum independently of others so I'm gonna chalk this one as well played for the most part. Elmo, as a third party observer, and comments would be appreciated. I'd like to see you all again in another game I'm playing.
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #356 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:09 am

Post by imkingdavid »

Gayle wrote:I wonder how the game would have turned out without the fakeclaim though.
I firmly believe that had the fake claim not occured and I hadn't put you in self-hammer range because I wasn't thinking hard enough, I might have been able to pull through possibly.
PS wrote:Actually, I didn't have a pro-town read on you,
Ah, misread you then. I only really noticed you being against me right before I killed you after hammering Gayle.
PS wrote:as NCJ's behaviour towards you seemed to be too friendly
Yeah, it was pretty obvious, I guess, but it was unavoidable on my part since I never really had much of a chance to talk with him. I did tell him not to make any links between us in the QT before day 1, but I don't know if he ever read it. And of course, I failed to mention that trying too hard to not make any links makes links. lol funny how that works, eh?
PS wrote:I give you major respect points for fighting it out until the bitter end.
I was seriously considering not doing so because I knew it was a losing battle. But, might as well die trying. :D
PS wrote:I would like you to answer why you didn't hammer SirPent as Nicodemus suggested on Day 3 before he replaced in.
I didn't hammer SP when I had the chance because at the time I felt it would have turned out worse for me because I would have had to figure out some way to explain myself. I realize now that it would have been MUCH easier to explain away than the Gayle hammer.

Anyway, yeah even though I lost, it was a fun game. Hopefully we won't get any more SirPent's that false claim as town, as that hurts the game for both sides and causes unneeded confusion. While scum can often slip through in confusion, this time I made the wrong choice and came out #1 suspect. lol
Naughty little fly, why does it cry? Caught in a web, Soon you'll be...
eaten!
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #357 (ISO) » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:27 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

imkingdavid wrote:
PS wrote:Actually, I didn't have a pro-town read on you,
Ah, misread you then. I only really noticed you being against me right before I killed you after hammering Gayle.
I was trying to hide it, and actually your vote on Hercule Poirot and then subsequent guilt push on tracker made me unvote. Before then you were number 2 based on Canada's and HP's playing... Then the game exploded via SirPent. Still, it's the first time I've ever had a handle on things, so unless I make this a habit I'm gonna chock most of this up to NCJ's play.
tracker
tracker
Goon
tracker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #358 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Post by tracker »

PE, you skipped me

IKD, I thought there was something wrong with you the whole game, but I couldn't put my finger on it so as to build a case.

TF
Just try and be more active

qax
that was a solid case and I really wanted to lynch IKD ever since you posted it, but he did deserve at least a small chance of defence.

nicodemus
Sorry for mistaking you with SirPent

PE
Found you town since D1 and thought you played an excellent game throughout, and even if you hadn't been suspicious of IKD, I as scum would have nked you anyways just because you were so pro-town

Gayle
Actually in a situation like that where you are town and there's no possibility of millers, (this situation) self-lynching is semi-acceptable(outside of mylo and lylo) as it (should) automatically finds scum. It's just due to SirPent's idiocy that it didn't work this time

RPG
fun to have you

NCJ
don't give up

IKD
do(would) you enjoy opening questions as town?

If anyone is looking for a quick start into another game, I'm back-up modding Cults of Darkness and Shadow and I really need a replacement for Discord, Day 2, 20 Pages, it's a fun and pretty quick game. Could really use some help
Show
-Tracker

Need a replacement in [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12810&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]Cults of Darkness and Shadow[/url] replacing Discord, please help

Willing to cross-replace
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #359 (ISO) » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:40 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

tracker wrote:
IKD
do(would) you enjoy opening questions as town?
Undecided, really. I'm fine with either. ;)

I would join your game but I just opted in for a another newbie game and I really only have time for one at a time. But I'll keep it in mind. ;)
eaten!
qax42
qax42
Townie
qax42
Townie
Townie

Post Post #360 (ISO) » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Post by qax42 »

Hey!

Haha I'm glad you guys listened to me!

@
imkingdavid
:

I think you played a pretty solid game for the most part. A few mistakes here and there kind of killed it for you, but I don't think anybody else had as substantial a claim against you before I turned up with the guaranteed guilty—if they had, they should have posted it!

I'm impressed that you are 100% aware of exactly what mistakes you made. I try to look back at finished games with the same mindframe for future improvement.

I'm sorry I never got around to responding point-to-point—I would have if the day went any longer. I would absolutely look forward to playing with you in the future.

I also have to give
major
props to you for really sticking it through at the end. I definitely would not have done that. If mod hadn't guaranteed my sanity, I would have begun to doubt myself.

@
PaltryExcuse
:

Congrats on the excellent scumhunting. You were the towniest player while you were alive, and I constantly nodded in agreement with you posts to myself during my read.

With Gayle taken out, I was 100% sure you were going to be NK'd. Look forward to scumhunting with you in the future.

@
Gayle
:

Sorry you had to deal with SirPent. His was completely unacceptable behavior, and I really think it ruined the game.

And as for not suspecting imkingdavid, don't be too hard on yourself. He's an experienced player, and played quite well. Players in my position replacing in are in a benefit for being able to read the game in its entirety and get a good picture overall. I try to do that at the end of every night to make sure I'm 100% on my suspicions.

@
Elmo
:

Thanks for the great modding job! I wish you had "randomly" picked a townie to investigate rather than the lone scum, or at least not confirmed my sanity, but I'm just being selfish. I'll definitely try to /in for your next game.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

@
Toon Fighter
:

Is the low activity your playstyle? I don't think your content was particularly scummy at all; rather, people just automatically assume late game lurking is scummy for whatever reason.

@
tracker
:

I think you played a pretty solid game with the huge exception of listening to SirPent. That was a really amateur mistake. Besides that, you were bang on with your scumhunting. I think together we could have convinced the other two to vote imkingdavid even if I didn't have the cop claim on my side.

@
Nicodemus
:

That really is too bad you replaced in for so little. Hopefully we get a full game next time we play together.

@
Others
:

Thanks for the excellent read.
PaltryExcuse
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
PaltryExcuse
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #361 (ISO) » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:26 am

Post by PaltryExcuse »

tracker wrote:PE, you skipped me
Whoops! My bad.
Tracker
: I really liked the questions starting us off rather than the RVS. I found there was more conversation than in RVS, and less random bull. Overall, I didn't find you scummy at all that first day, and was sincerely confused as to how many did. You defended yourself well enough and stuck with it, and your support on my NCJ case led to a scum lynch. You were guaranteed town after that in my mind, but I reeeeeally wish you didn't vote Gayle when you did.
Really only one note about your play style is that I find full sentences much easier to read than your point form. I think people would find you less scummy as your intentions should become more clear.
Elmo
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Elmo
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #362 (ISO) » Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:22 am

Post by Elmo »

I've been meaning to make an end-of-game writeup for ages now, blah. Thank you everyone for the comments on my modding.. I'll probably change how I do some things on the basis of this game. Any kind of detail will have to wait..

Merry Christmas, all! :P
Succinctness is pro-town.

Passion is inversely proportional to the amount of real information available. ~ Gregory Benford
Gayle
Gayle
Goon
Gayle
Goon
Goon

Post Post #363 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:13 pm

Post by Gayle »

Elmo wrote:I'll probably change how I do some things on the basis of this game. Any kind of detail will have to wait..
Please don't. You are the only mod so far that I haven't quietly mumbled rude comments about. After being in your game, I become SHOCKED when other mods miss a vote. Seriously, don't change a single thing.
imkingdavid
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
imkingdavid
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #364 (ISO) » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Post by imkingdavid »

lol, Gayle is right. You've done a great mod. Very few mods have done as well as you have (like Vel, bird1111, Xtoxm, and Zorblag, so far). Unless you mean changing to be more like you were in this game, don't change anything. :D
eaten!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #365 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:41 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”