Newbie 878 (Game Over: scum victory)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h
Pronoun: He

Post Post #575 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 am

Post by Johoohno »

Setup
: 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
Roles
(and winners): Goon =
animorpherv1
; Mafia roleblocker =
Linehouse
. (The rest were vanilla townies.)

Everyone are now free to post in the thread.

If the scums allow it I'll post their private night talk thread.

Thank you all for playing!
Fongoid
Fongoid
Goon
Fongoid
Goon
Goon

Post Post #576 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:05 pm

Post by Fongoid »

@johoonho: Thanks for the great modding! Much appreciated

Well played Linehouse. After I was NKed, I was contemplating and there were 3 deserved victories imo, and 2 of them were you as scum or you as town. You played quite well as scum, despite the unfortunate incident of your distancing from ani turning into a deadline bus.

Depending on who all comes back to post in this thread, I'd love a bit of gameplay analysis, especially as this was my first game.
Linehouse
Linehouse
Goon
Linehouse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #577 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:07 pm

Post by Linehouse »

Feel free to post the night chat.

To start, I will say that Mylynes fake vote nearly got me. Luckily, I'm fairly cautious and double checked his vote, which was when I noticed it wasn't bolded, which of course caused me to get verify its validity.

I'll be happy to answer all questions, since obviously the intent is for everyone to learn from this game. I will add that Mylynes' false-claim day one made it very easy to decide who to block each night. We knew that Mylynes' was pretty much the real Doc (or, in this case, the vanilla townie pretending to be Doc). The problem with your gambit Mylynes was that it made things actually easier for me. Each day you remained alive hurt your claim. And since a role-blocked Doctor is a useless Doctor, there was actually no incentive to kill you, since finding the (non-existent) cop was far more important.

Night One, we (well, I, animorph was against it) decided to kill DDD because he clearly had the town's ear and was generally trusted. To be completely honest, I still don't know why animorph allowed himself to be deadlined lynched (maybe he'll come in and explain?).

Night Two, I was deciding between JR and Fongoid as the possible cop, and went with JR, since he had mentioned that he didn't trust the "fight" between me and animorph (which was actually real, at least on my end).

Night Three was an easy choice. Pwnman was gone, and Fongoid was the only other trusted townie. I knew that Mylynes and jmj were against one another, and I figured that would remain the same going into Day Four.

I also will add that I played this game much like I would've if I truly were town. I made my reads based on what I saw, and attacked animorph just like I normally would have. Now, admittedly, I may have been more aggressive against certain players if I truly was vanilla town, since I know my life isn't as valuable, but I basically did play it straight up.

If anybody wants to ask me my opinion on anything, or critiques, etc, I'm happy to give them. Since this is a newbie game, I'd like everyone to learn from this game for future enjoyment.
Linehouse
Linehouse
Goon
Linehouse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #578 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Post by Linehouse »

Good job modding Johoohno! Sorry this game dragged a bit.

Fongoid, I'd be happy to give you some gameplay analysis. Give me some time today or tomorrow to iso you, although off the top of my head, I actually think you played pretty solid. You were fairly obvious town, which is always helpful when trying to find scum, and I believe your logic behind your reads was sound.
Linehouse
Linehouse
Goon
Linehouse
Goon
Goon

Post Post #579 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:10 pm

Post by Linehouse »

Oh, and thanks for the comments. I always strive to play a consistent game, regardless of my role. ;)
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #580 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Post by jmj3000 »

GAH! Sorry Mylynes, you just gave me some bad scum vibes. IMO, you should have stuck with the doctor claim and not admitted that you had lied. That sealed it in my mind. Linehouse, good job. This game was way different than the forum mafia I played on the other site. Any advice?
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #581 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

I almost PMed Johoohno after day two with a prediction that Linehouse was the other scum but I couldn't commit to it but with that prediction came the realization that if he was scum he was going to coast to victory and he did. My in-game prediction of alive Mylynes = losing town was however proven true.

And jmj don't apologize to Mylynes, what happened wasn't your fault - as I said on day one if you decide to do something like that you take responsibility for the game onto yourself. If you're going to try something "different" then it's your responsibility to make sure it works and Mylynes was not up to the task.

One final thing of actual advice when you get to LYLO. The first thing you should do is ask yourself why the guy who helped lynch the other scum on day two is still alive AND why the two people who were voting each other at the end of day two and throughout day three are still alive? Not saying it always works out so neatly, but you absolutely have to check your assumptions and look at the big picture when you get to that point of the game instead of keeping your tunnelvision going.
Mylynes
Mylynes
Goon
Mylynes
Goon
Goon

Post Post #582 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:02 pm

Post by Mylynes »

gg
Mylynes
Mylynes
Goon
Mylynes
Goon
Goon

Post Post #583 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:11 pm

Post by Mylynes »

My meta is happy lizard kang foo.
Mylynes
Mylynes
Goon
Mylynes
Goon
Goon

Post Post #584 (ISO) » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Post by Mylynes »

And if you didn't want me around you should have voted me off when I self voted. It would have been easier for you to find the last scum if you had voted me off before lylo instead of pwn.

For the same reason I would have rather lynched jmj than pwn because if it was either fongoid or pwn with us in the end I would have been more suspicious of linehouse. I didn't think I would be able to get a hammer but at least wanted to try and to get reads on both jmj and linehouse by purposely not bolding my vote.

I didn't think the game would end that fast without further discussion but yea bad move on my part for wanting to be honest. Should have kept to my doctor claim.
jmj3000
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
jmj3000
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #585 (ISO) » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:07 am

Post by jmj3000 »

So, any tips on how to improve my playstyle?
Looking for experienced designers to help me design
SONY MAFIA
, a sequel to my Nintendo Mafia game!

Johoohno
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
Johoohno
He
16777215 km/h
16777215 km/h
Pronoun: He

Post Post #586 (ISO) » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 am

Post by Johoohno »

jmj3000 wrote:So, any tips on how to improve my playstyle?
I think you put up a good performance: you asked questions, requested prods to keep everyone active and were pretty consistent in your opinions too.

On the top of my head I only remember this post as shaky and nervous (and by that scummy). However, I am pretty biased knowing all the roles all along, you would benefit more from comments from the other players.
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #587 (ISO) » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:13 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

jmj3000 wrote:So, any tips on how to improve my playstyle?
Sorry about the delay, I just got out of LYLO in one game and still am in LYLO in another game. Here's what I posted in the recently finished game to one player and I think it applies to you jmj. "I think you played just fine. In newbie games I personally think any newbie that doesn't draw my ire and votes has done a fine job because that's half of the equation. The other half of the equation is obviously scumhunting and I'm of the belief that the only way to get better at that is to play more; I don't think there's a magic bullet, the only way to get better is experience and practice. So keep playing and trying and suddenly things will start to click in regards to scumhunting and you'll be just fine, I think you've got plenty of potential."
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #588 (ISO) » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:59 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Last post.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”