Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #325 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm

Post by Quilford »

In post 319, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:Just look at the vanilla vig (i.e. could only vig vanillas) in PYP5, Quilford. Roles were distributed by a draft system, so alignments of the vanillas was fairly random (as it turned out, none of the scum were vanilla) - still a completely valid role and beneficial too.

Ah, but here, Role PMs were written after alignment was randomised.

In post 319, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
Quilford wrote:IT'S ARBITRARY WHO HE KILLS. NO MATTER WHO HE PICKS, WHETHER HE THINKS THEY'RE TOWN OR SCUM, HE WILL DIE UNLESS THEY'RE A CAT. HOW THE SHIT IS THIS FAIR ON HIM UNLESS HE HAS SOME WAY TO DISCERN WHO SOMEONE'S PET IS, HMM?

Because people are never in a position where they'd claim their pet. (This observation basically amounts to "he's better off not using his action early on"; not a big deal.)

It's not just early on. It's until someone claims that they're a cat.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #326 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by Cogito Ergo Sum »

In post 321, Untrod Tripod wrote:so

who wants to test it?

Zorzor'll announce it, no worries.
Scumchat is awesome. Yarr!

~"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."~
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #327 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 1, zoraster wrote:Last, no animals were harmed in the production of this game. Human owners are killed, not their pets. The mafia is trying to kill people so they can take their pets to Petvana. Know that even the mafia wants what is best for your critter.

In post 188, lewarcher82 wrote:
In post 186, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 160, lewarcher82 wrote:I am Mao-Tse-Tung, and I am a town assassin cat. Each night I can decide to visit a player. If that player has a cat, I will kill him. If that player has a dog, I will die. The flavour is connected with the real biography of my former cat Mao, who was killed by a dog.

But why does he kill other cats? What's the flavor reasoning for that?

NINJA'D. Mao was an extremely aggressive cat. No other cat in the neighborhood as long as he was alive.

@Cogito Ergo Sum - Why are you so terrible at this game? Why waste a governance on someone who is clearly scum and you would lynch tomorrow anyways?
Occasionally intellectually honest

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #328 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:24 pm

In post 325, Quilford wrote:Ah, but here, Role PMs were written after alignment was randomised.

Which means, given say 2 scum cats, it makes even more sense as a role? I don't see the problem.

Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #329 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:24 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

In post 327, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 1, zoraster wrote:Last, no animals were harmed in the production of this game. Human owners are killed, not their pets. The mafia is trying to kill people so they can take their pets to Petvana. Know that even the mafia wants what is best for your critter.

In post 160, lewarcher82 wrote:I am Mao-Tse-Tung, and I am a town assassin cat. Each night I can decide to visit a player. If that player has a cat, I will kill him. If that player has a dog, I will die. The flavour is connected with the real biography of my former cat Mao, who was killed by a dog.

NINJA'D. Mao was an extremely aggressive cat. No other cat in the neighborhood as long as he was alive.

@Cogito Ergo Sum - Why are you so terrible at this game? Why waste a governance on someone who is clearly scum and you would lynch tomorrow anyways?

OH SHI-

yeah that claim is bullshit
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #330 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:25 pm

Post by Quilford »

UNVOTE:
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #331 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Post by Quilford »

In post 328, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:
In post 325, Quilford wrote:Ah, but here, Role PMs were written after alignment was randomised.

Which means, given say 2 scum cats, it makes even more sense as a role? I don't see the problem.

It makes even more sense as a third party role, yes, considering lewarcher's actions and claim.
Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #332 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

In post 327, Kublai Khan wrote:

Okay, that might be a valid point. But part of the plan I was in favour was him getting lynched tomorrow if he was still alive, so don't know what you're complaining about with the second comment.

Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #333 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm

Post by Amrun »

In post 317, Quilford wrote:
IT'S ARBITRARY WHO HE KILLS. NO MATTER WHO HE PICKS, WHETHER HE THINKS THEY'RE TOWN OR SCUM, HE WILL DIE UNLESS THEY'RE A CAT. HOW THE SHIT IS THIS FAIR ON HIM UNLESS HE HAS SOME WAY TO DISCERN WHO SOMEONE'S PET IS, HMM?

I think you've just demonstrated why I don't think he's an SK... That's a really difficult win condition to achieve. It's still possible, but come on, it's a lot more plausible as a town limited vig.

In post 322, Kublai Khan wrote:@Amrun - You're filling in details that aren't there. If lewarcher82 had said "Hey, we really shouldn't reveal anything about our pets, we don't know if there could be a Death-Note type killer out there." (or some sort of awareness-raising similar statement that reveals his specific game mechanic), then yeah I would be on the same page. But he didn't, and you can't get away with just imagining that he did.

P.EDIT - A short conversation with my wife and I think i got ninja'd by 2 pages worth of posts. Egads.

I don't know why you think he should have come out and said "there could be a death note type killer." That would be SUCH a softclaim, and town vigs should always be in the business of not telling scum that they're vigilantes! Are you serious?

If he had said that, I would have been like HOLD UP WTF.

He responded with, "Holy crap, stop claiming animals because it's fucking dumb."

Guess what? IT IS FUCKING DUMB. HE'S RIGHT.

If he's telling the truth, he has reason to know why it's fucking dumb, so it makes PERFECT SENSE to react that way.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Fusion Mafia, ongoing now.
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #334 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:31 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 333, Amrun wrote:I don't know why you think he should have come out and said "there could be a death note type killer." That would be SUCH a softclaim, and town vigs should always be in the business of not telling scum that they're vigilantes! Are you serious?

He responded with, "Holy crap, stop claiming animals because it's fucking dumb."

If he's telling the truth, he has reason to know why it's fucking dumb, so it makes PERFECT SENSE to react that way.

Except that part of his claim is that dogs kill him. So while he might not want to encourage pet claiming, he certainly would not discourage it either.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #335 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:32 pm

Post by Amrun »

In post 334, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 333, Amrun wrote:I don't know why you think he should have come out and said "there could be a death note type killer." That would be SUCH a softclaim, and town vigs should always be in the business of not telling scum that they're vigilantes! Are you serious?

Except that part of his claim is that dogs kill him. So while he might not want to encourage pet claiming, he certainly would not discourage it either.

THAT'S EXACTLY MY POINT

If he were interested in self-preservation over the town's interests, he would not discourage it.

THAT'S NOT WHAT HE DID

Town motivation. See, see, see?

I don't know how to explain myself any better.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Cogito Ergo Sum
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
Cogito Ergo Sum
YARR!
YARR!

Post Post #336 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:33 pm

You do realize this entire discussion has been made moot by my governing lew, right?

Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #337 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Post by Amrun »

Partially, yes. For today. But I'm probing Kahn's alignment right now, shhhhh
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #338 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Post by Amrun »

Oh, thank you, ces, btw
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #339 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:39 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 336, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:You do realize this entire discussion has been made moot by my governing lew, right?

Eh, not entirely. If Amrun can convince me that lewarcher82's actions are plausibly town, then I have to sheep her. Also this.

Generally, I think she's ascribing a motivation that isn't evidenced by lewarcher82's actual words. So we may just be deadlocked.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Quilford
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Quilford
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #340 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:40 pm

Post by Quilford »

In post 333, Amrun wrote:
In post 317, Quilford wrote:
IT'S ARBITRARY WHO HE KILLS. NO MATTER WHO HE PICKS, WHETHER HE THINKS THEY'RE TOWN OR SCUM, HE WILL DIE UNLESS THEY'RE A CAT. HOW THE SHIT IS THIS FAIR ON HIM UNLESS HE HAS SOME WAY TO DISCERN WHO SOMEONE'S PET IS, HMM?

I think you've just demonstrated why I don't think he's an SK... That's a really difficult win condition to achieve. It's still possible, but come on, it's a lot more plausible as a town limited vig.

Of course if he were a Serial Killer he wouldn't just have a killing ability and that's it.

But Town Limited Vigs, like the example CES provided in PYP, don't
die
when they target someone they can't kill. Therefore I think he is a serial killer with extra powers to help him on his way. Otherwise he would be useless as town.

Nevertheless, I have unvoted, and it wasn't because of CES' claim
Llamarble
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #341 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:56 pm

Post by Llamarble »

Eh, mafia alignment actually makes more sense than SK.
A hard to use vig-power gives scum something to strategize on together and a vehicle for massclaim punishment.
Just like Baby Spice in Zor's Strategy Mafia game.
His described role doesn't sound like a legitimate serial killing role because of the 'you die if you shoot the wrong thing' aspect and the reduced target pool.
The way he claimed, rolling it out in two phases and mentioning Mao was killed by a dog, sounded like he has the role he has claimed even if he's scum.

Also scum totally gave town useful strategy advice (scum had ways of killing through doors) in Strategy Mafia.
Telling people not to massclaim is like the easiest thing to say town sounding things about ever.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #342 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by Amrun »

In post 339, Kublai Khan wrote:
In post 336, Cogito Ergo Sum wrote:You do realize this entire discussion has been made moot by my governing lew, right?

Eh, not entirely. If Amrun can convince me that lewarcher82's actions are plausibly town, then I have to sheep her. Also this.

Generally, I think she's ascribing a motivation that isn't evidenced by lewarcher82's actual words. So we may just be deadlocked.

But you still need to prove how your explanation makes sense.

You are like, "Aha! He would do this thing he didn't do as scum!"

And then use that as a scumtell. I feel like I have to be missing something.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Untrod Tripod
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Untrod Tripod
Fat and Sassy
Fat and Sassy

Post Post #343 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:09 pm

Post by Untrod Tripod »

So why is everyone else completely ignoring the revelation that lew claimed that his flavor is that he kills cats when the rules specifically state that killing roles kill owners?
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #344 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:12 pm

Post by Amrun »

Where does it say that? I'm not seeing it. I'm just seeing "owners whose pets have outlived them," which is not necessarily a blanket statement on flavor, and perhaps just a nicer way of putting it.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #345 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:15 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

@Amrun - Primarily, I disagree with your assumption that lewarcher82 squalshed species-claiming on the grounds of "other specialty vigs may exist". I think you've ascribed him a motivation that isn't supported by his words.

On the second point (335), you do have a, uh, point. However it's the type of thing that if lewarcher82 had pointed it out as breadcrumbed proof of his role instead of coming up with a contrived "plan", I would have been more likely to accept it. Since he didn't, your thoughts about why he did what he did are overblown.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Kublai Khan
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Kublai Khan
Khan Man
Khan Man

Post Post #346 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:16 pm

Post by Kublai Khan »

In post 344, Amrun wrote:Where does it say that? I'm not seeing it. I'm just seeing "owners whose pets have outlived them," which is not necessarily a blanket statement on flavor, and perhaps just a nicer way of putting it.

post 327.

Black Lives Matter
Get vaccinated
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #347 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Post by Amrun »

No, I didn't say "other specialty vigs." It could be that, or mafia, or third party, or anything.

I agree it would have been more compelling had he brought it up himself; as I said, I don't think this is something to hang the entirety of a town read on.

You asked me if I could come up with town motivation for it. I did.

I'm trying to show reasonable doubt here. I think I succeeded.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011

Llamarble
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Llamarble
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #348 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Post by Llamarble »

I mean, he said that he would kill the pet's owner rather than the pet itself when he claimed anyway.
Amrun
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Amrun
Killed the Radio Star
Killed the Radio Star

Post Post #349 (ISO) » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Post by Amrun »

Just looked and Llamarble is right.
I survived
Tigerpocalypse 2011