Mafia 62: Suspicion in Sicily - Game over!

Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #225 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:48 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

Ninth Vote Count of Day One:

Toaster Strudel - 6 (Ancalagon, hollywoody1221, AlexPaoletti, Panzerjager, ~N9V~, Rand Althor)

kinkster - 4 (Yosarian2, Primate, VitaminR, Raffles)
Raffles - 3 (Jalyn, Toaster Strudel, Dragon Phoenix)
Phoebus - 1 (kinkster)
Panzerjager - 1 (Cubsfan4ever)
Cubsfan4ever - 1 (Phoebus)

Not voting - 2 (spectrumvoid, scotmany12)

With eighteen alive, it will take ten votes to lynch.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #226 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:52 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

I like Primate's argument there.
fos:Hollywoody
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #227 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:44 pm

Post by Raffles »

I understand if a townie dies but town wins then that person wins. But I consider it I've lost if I get lynched. Why? Because I've mislead the town into lynching me, wasting a lynch. Then yes, it's my primary objective to lynch a scum, but it holds equal importance not to get lynched too.
Woof!
kinkster
kinkster
Townie
kinkster
Townie
Townie

Post Post #228 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:52 pm

Post by kinkster »

Primate wrote:
hollywoody1221 wrote:On the whole, I agree with what Raffles just said. In the two games I've played on here, a player gets lynched more often for being an idiot (or just acting like one for a moment) than they do for being scummy. But, I still am staying on ToasterStrudel because she (he?) is making comments that I find unhelpful, and detrimental to our cause, which is to lynch the mafia, obviously. S/he is preventing us from doing that, and is, therefore, not an ally of mine.
It's posts like this that make me think that, for all you talk about who is your ally, and for all you are concerned about the town as whole, you aren't actually in the town, and you aren't actually our ally.

That said, though, I think Kinkster is more deserving of attention (and particuarly, pressure) right now. I want to put a bunch of votes on him and see what he does.
if u wanna stick some more votes fire away lets have a lynch at least in death I may be of use to you cos im probably not at the moment.

unvote

as noone shares my suspicion of phoebus way over the top attitude no point in my vote being there I wont however resort to his rude nature and name calling.

fos : hollywood

As for hollywood I dont like the phrase "my allies" trying to hard to look town.
hollywoody1221
hollywoody1221
Townie
hollywoody1221
Townie
Townie

Post Post #229 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:00 pm

Post by hollywoody1221 »

Is it really trying to look town if you really are town? I'm just trying to get the people out that will hurt us most by staying in, i.e. scum. And, Primate, I will answer your question soon enough.
First, in case anyone has condemned me for calling a fellow townie an ally...what should I call them? I'll just go to dictionary.com for an accurate definition (for our benefit, I'll just use the ones that most accurately explain my situation)
ally-noun-
1)to associate or connect by some mutual relationship, as resemblance or friendship.
2)a person, group, or nation that is associated with another or others for some common cause or purpose:
3)a person who associates or cooperates with another; supporter.
So, as we all probably know, an ally is someone who cooperates with someone for some mutual benefit. All townies are allies of other townies, as well as allies with doctors, police officers, etc. But by the same token, I understand that people call mafia scum 'partners', which is usable in the same context as 'ally', so I understand why some people may be getting mad at me for using what could be called a 'buzzword'.
For everyone else, here are my 3 quotes that have been brought into question by Primate, who seemed to awake out of a multi-page slumber to bring accusations against a person who has the best interests at heart.

#153 #163 #206
hollywoody1221 wrote:BTW, if anyone thinks i'm trying not to go for a lynch, I'm trying to lynch the person who will hurt us most by staying in the game. Right now, that's ToasterStrudel. He's acting like a complete r-tard right now, and if it's a ploy, as Panzerjager may be suggesting, then I must ask why a fellow townie would do that.
hollywoody1221 wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote: In the first post, it kind of sounds like you were thinking TS was more likely town then not, and you sounded pretty much unsure in general, but then you turn around and vote for her a few posts later.

Did something change your mind?
I think you may be kind of exaggerating a few things to spread some suspicion, though I may be, and probably am, wrong. Panzerjager placed his initial FoS of TS on monday of last, then placed his vote on him that saturday. A total of almost two full pages and 5 days seems like enough time to consider all the posts of everyone else, and was a reasonable time to come to a conclusion.
I'm still reasonably sure that TS is not a help to us. Oh, and slightly off the topic I quoted, does anyone else find it ironic that the person ToasterStrudel is , according to her, voting for is the person most similar to her?
hollywoody1221 wrote:On the whole, I agree with what Raffles just said. In the two games I've played on here, a player gets lynched more often for being an idiot (or just acting like one for a moment) than they do for being scummy. But, I still am staying on ToasterStrudel because she (he?) is making comments that I find unhelpful, and detrimental to our cause, which is to lynch the mafia, obviously. S/he is preventing us from doing that, and is, therefore, not an ally of mine.
In the first quote, it comes right after Panzerjager's quote:
Panzerjager wrote:Alright. TS really wants to be lynched. This is a very bad situation. We have Cubsfan who is intentionally doing thinks to try and get people lynched. Then we have TS whos idiocy is confusing the town, purposeful or not. I have seen bad town and bad scum act like this. I have also seen good scum act like this purposfully counting on being ignored. So I kinda want to avoid lynching him due not wanting to lynch town but he is being detrimental. I really don't want to count on the vig(if we have one) to have to win this.
This is at a point of the game where TS is playing a game that is confusing to me, and not helping my voting situation. If he really is town, why is he playing a game that will draw a lot of flak? If he is scum, why put himself into such a position as to draw flak on day one for no good reason? This is the same question that I asked the first time, and I have yet to get a good response from ToasterStrudel.

During the second quote, I am making something of an accusation of Yosarian/defense of Panzerjager on the basis that Yosarian was exaggerating Panzerjager's statements in order to put suspicion on him. I don't know why, as the vote on ToasterStrudel was correct at the time, as ToasterStrudel was playing in a style that was not helpful to the town.

During the third and final vote, it is based on Raffles previous comment:
Raffles wrote:The way I see it after I've been playing a few games, I think I see a pattern.

Everyone goes about using a same way to hunt out a scum. That is to get everyone to act the same. Anyone who step out of this line exhibit something so-called "a scum tell", and is suspected of having a hidden agenda.

I disagree and have a healthy dislike for this tactic (which seems to be universal throughout the site). For one thing, if this were the case, the best thing for the scums to do is to forget their hidden agenda. This means that the probability of exhibiting "scum tell" is determined by the player's experience, but independent of the alignment. Which implies the probability of someone getting lynched is solely based on experience. This implies that no matter what game, it is noobish player that will get lynched and whether that person is a scum or not is solely dependent on luck.

Given this, it is far more likely that the scum would survive, because there are always less of them and they have NK ability.

Second and more general point is this rule does not allow you to experiment with different playstyle. I for one have found out a noobish play attracts far more votes than a scummy play. But I'll leave it at that as the game is still ongoing.
He makes a general statement, that may be applicable to many games. As I stated at the time, a person is more likely to be lynched early for playing stupidly than they are for playing like scum. This is because stupid play brings out the worst in some of us, and we play worse, making it easier for the mafia to turn us against each other, in general.

That is my discussion on the three quotes, and the events leading up to them. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I will now discuss my views on the scumminess of any player. Firstly, though, I want to
unvote ToasterStrudel
, as it was a vote made solely for the fact that he may influence people the wrong way.
Player List:
Analcagon -I'm not picking up scummy vibes from him. Playing quietly, made his vote on TS, seems confident in it.
Hollywoody1221- As Steve Buscemi says in Reservoir Dogs, 'I Know I'm clean'
Yosarian-Defends Dragon Phoenix to the death, has been suspicious of Kinkster since day 1 (ok, it's still day one, but I mean since page 3). I'm almost certain of an alliance with Dragon Phoenix.
Cubsfan4ever- After drawing much early suspicion against himself, he has vanished without a peep (like a virgin on prom night). I can't get a current read on him for that reason.
ToasterStrudel-Started out playing stupidly, IMO. He made a number of hypocritical statements (even though we all do at some point in a game) that I found odd, and upset my view of him. He may not be scum, but unless he does something that I cannot think of right now, I am not convinced that he is townie.
Dragon Phoenix- Has made a number of votes, that while keeping him in the public eye, are not helpful. After 7 or 8 pages into a game, we should not need to be lynching someone based on them not being here. That is so unhelpful to the lynching of mafia, as someone must have become at least somewhat suspicious to you.
Panzerjager- I am not certain that he is town, but I certain enough that I am not going to vote for him at this point. He was one of the first 3 to become suspicious of ToasterStrudel, along with myself and Analcagon, so I may be slightly biased to someone who thinks along the same pathways as myself. I am wary of his vote/unvote action on mole, because I disagree with his reasoning for doing so. He also explains why he is voting on mole, unlike DP, who did it because he hates lurkers, as he stated on post 108, 'I do not like lurkers'. It's fair enough for him not to like lurkers, but to vote him after a number of pages does not make sense, especially with his attitude.
Phoebus- Also makes the push towards a vote for mole ,for the same reason as DragonPhoenix. Plus, Yosarian defends him on post #136, saying that his actions aren't scummy. The original disagreements with DP seem forgotten now, and he is following DP on whatever thread he goes to, now that he isn't being accused.
Kinkster- May be scum, but I am less and less certain of it. First off, he dislikes DP's hardheaded decision to keep a lynch-all-lurkers vote on mole. It would become clear that after 5 pages of post, he's probably forgotten about the game, and would be replaced. He's also suspicious of phoebus's very early defense of VitaminR, after he's been a game for a very short time. I may not personally like him, but I don't think he's scum, merely because DP and phoebus find him scummy.
AlexPaleotti (Sp?)- I'm not finding him scummy, but I don't think anyone is right now.
SpectrumVoid-He's staying quiet, there's a tiny percent chance of him lurking as a scum, but I don't think so.
Primate- He randomly brought an accusation of me to the table, after I've done nothing that has been anti-town, because that would be anti-me. This was quickly followed by Yosarian's damnation of me.
Ok, I'm too tired to do anyone else right now, but I listed the people that have been playing the largest roles, or been posting most consistently. I think DP and Yosarian, and Primate are scum partners, as I implied during my section on the characters. I'm less certain that Phoebus is, but he is following DP and Yosarian blindly. TS and Cubsfan4ever were pretty viciously assaulted earlier this game, but now I am only reasonably sure that TS is scum, as DP and Yosarian managed to carefully shift the votes away from him, and onto other people. Therefore, I propose a plan. We get rid of DP, Yosarian, or Primate. If one of them fall, then I'm probably going to get killed by them in the night, for bringing suspicion on them. But, if I get lynched, remember that Yosarian and Primate brought the initial suspicion against me, and that 1)Yosarian and DP have been in agreement. 2)Phoebus has been in agreement with DP, and is following DP.
Therefore, My list of scum, and the percentage of me that thinkst that
80% or more :DP, Yosarian, and Primate
70%-80%: Phoebus
60%-70%: ToasterStrudel
That is my views on the current game, and I am now going to sleep, as I've been up for 36 of the past 44 hours, and need some sleep. But not until I
vote Dragon Phoenix
You send me to the hospital, and I'll send you to the morgue.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #230 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:57 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

hollywoody1221 wrote: This is at a point of the game where TS is playing a game that is confusing to me, and not helping my voting situation. If he really is town, why is he playing a game that will draw a lot of flak? If he is scum, why put himself into such a position as to draw flak on day one for no good reason? This is the same question that I asked the first time, and I have yet to get a good response from ToasterStrudel.
That's pretty bad logic. You're basically attacking him because you think he's playing in a way that will cause people to attack him.
During the second quote, I am making something of an accusation of Yosarian/defense of Panzerjager on the basis that Yosarian was exaggerating Panzerjager's statements in order to put suspicion on him. I don't know why, as the vote on ToasterStrudel was correct at the time, as ToasterStrudel was playing in a style that was not helpful to the town.
Two things I don't like about this statement.

1. I didn't "exagerate" anything Panzer said. He seemed to change his mind over a short period of time for no obveous reason, and I asked him why. That's what pro-town people do, is ask people questions. And you suddenly jump all over me for it. Huh?

2. "His vote on toaster strudel was correct at the time." What? Either Toaster Strudel is scum, or he's not. Either way, a person who suddenly jumped from seeming to think he wasn't to suddenly voting for him deserves some questions.

He makes a general statement, that may be applicable to many games. As I stated at the time, a person is more likely to be lynched early for playing stupidly than they are for playing like scum. This is because stupid play brings out the worst in some of us, and we play worse, making it easier for the mafia to turn us against each other, in general.

What?

If you lynch someone you don't think is scum because you think they're "playing stupidly", then you are, in fact, playing stupidly, by voting for someone you don't think is scum.

That is my discussion on the three quotes, and the events leading up to them. As I mentioned earlier in this post, I will now discuss my views on the scumminess of any player. Firstly, though, I want to
unvote ToasterStrudel
, as it was a vote made solely for the fact that he may influence people the wrong way.
So...you didn't think he was scum when you piled onto his voted for him?

If you're town, you vote someone because they're scum, not because you don't like they're playstyle. I think Primate was right when he said that you're not looking for scum, you're looking for:

[quote="Primate]...a legitimate defensible way to cause mislynches and be partially exempted from the responsibility for those mislynches. [/quote]

Yosarian-Defends Dragon Phoenix to the death, has been suspicious of Kinkster since day 1 (ok, it's still day one, but I mean since page 3). I'm almost certain of an alliance with Dragon Phoenix.

I didn't like kinkster's vote on dragon phenox, and so I voted for kinkster. You didn't like Toaster Strudel's vote for Cubsfan, so you voted for Toaster Strudel. Are you scum with cubsfan?

And the vote I made on kinkster for his attack on dragon phenox was like 8 pages ago, but you only suddenly have a problem with it right after I fos you. I'm really not buying any of this as a legitimate attempt on your part to find scum.

unvote
vote:hollywoody1221

But, if I get lynched, remember that Yosarian and Primate brought the initial suspicion against me, and that 1)Yosarian and DP have been in agreement. 2)Phoebus has been in agreement with DP, and is following DP.
"Those two people agreed on something so they MUST be scum together!" Please.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #231 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:00 pm

Post by Raffles »

Yos wrote: If you lynch someone you don't think is scum because you think they're "playing stupidly", then you are, in fact, playing stupidly, by voting for someone you don't think is scum.
But in reality, this is what happens. I'm not allowed to talk about it any more than that.
Woof!
Dragon Phoenix
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Dragon Phoenix
Don't shoot the mod
Don't shoot the mod

Post Post #232 (ISO) » Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:16 pm

Post by Dragon Phoenix »

Yosarian2 wrote:<snip>I didn't like kinkster's vote on dragon phenox, and so I voted for kinkster. You didn't like Toaster Strudel's vote for Cubsfan, so you voted for Toaster Strudel. Are you scum with cubsfan?

And the vote I made on kinkster for his attack on dragon phenox was like 8 pages ago, but you only suddenly have a problem with it right after I fos you. <snip>
Thanks. That's a new one for my collection.
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #233 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:40 am

Post by Phoebus »

Raffles wrote:Because I've mislead the town into lynching me, wasting a lynch.
Wow. Perhaps scum led town into lynching you.
Egotistical, much? :P

Oh and hollywoody...How am I following DP?
I don't even understand your allegations against me.

*sigh*
Choices choices and only one vote :(

unvote cubsfan ; vote: kinskter

You invited votes. Enjoy.

At this time, if it's not kinkster I'd vote hollywoody. Also, unless something spectacular happens, this decision is unlikely to change.

Modalicious
: It'd be great if you could fish Cubby out of the woodwork though.
Your happiness is intertwined with your outlook on life.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #234 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:08 am

Post by scotmany12 »

Vote TS

I did not like him pushing for a lynch in the beginning of the game, and I do not like him attacking raffles. I admit, raffles was acting a bit scummy, but TS posts right after him attacking him simply because TS has more votes than raffles. Raffles was directing very little, if any, at TS, but TS seems to be offended some way. I dislike that whole situation.
Cubsfan4ever
Cubsfan4ever
Goon
Cubsfan4ever
Goon
Goon

Post Post #235 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:42 am

Post by Cubsfan4ever »

calm down woody
Unban me please

At the very least, at least respond to my unanswered PMs mith.
hollywoody1221
hollywoody1221
Townie
hollywoody1221
Townie
Townie

Post Post #236 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:36 am

Post by hollywoody1221 »

Phoebus wrote: Oh and hollywoody...How am I following DP?
I don't even understand your allegations against me.
0kay, we'll start on page 3. To be fair, you don't follow him onto a vote for mole, but you do vote for him with no justification for it. You simply put 'vote mole', which is a pretty sound reason. I'll accept it as a random vote, because we are in the 'random-vote' stage. When confronted on it, you reply
Phoebus wrote:mole is scum.
on principle.
I'm still willing to accept it as a random vote, but it doesn't appear so random anymore. Then, on the same page, Dragon Phoenix confronts kinkster about switching his vote to him, saying it is 'crap logic at its best'. Then on page 5, Dragon Phoenix (hereafter referred to as DP), unvotes his vote on kinkster, changing his vote to mole, stating
Dragon Phoenix wrote:
Unvote Cubsfan4ever

Interesting how quickly that bandwagon started to develop beyond 3 votes. Food for thought later in the game.

For now,

Vote mole

I do not like non-voters.
Phoebus responds directly after that with
Phoebus wrote:can we just lynch mole?

he will likely not show up.

we can get info from the lynch.
save us messy debates.
I am still in wonder about how we can get info from it. The only people that will follow a lynch on someone who hasn't shown up yet are people who want to lynch a townie who won't defend himself. So, yes, I become suspicious of you there.
Following this, others become suspicious of you, and they voice their opinions.
Particularly, kinkster states :
kinkster wrote: wed gain nothing by just lynching someone because theve not posted
that being said Mole def needs a prod and we need to here from him
You respond, reasonably quickly, with this.
Phoebus wrote: kinkster - oh yes we would. your reaction tells me some things. they may be right, they may be wrong but it's been noted.
even no defense from a person can lead to information being gleaned from other people.
I don't think we gain anything by lynching someone who hasn't posted, as they have most likely forgotten about the game completely, which means that they probably aren't going to come along at all, which implies that they need to be replaced rather than voted off. Which is what happens.
Then, primate adds his two cents by voting kinkster with no reasoning behind it, only noting that another player may be scummy. mmmkay. We should note from this, that kinkster is threatening phoebus by questioning his reasoning for voting mole. Primate, defending one of his partners, creates the kinkster bandwagon.

On the very same page
"Phoebus" wrote:
Now if I'm going to be scummy with someone else...please be sure to make a note of that.
Yes sir, and i have noted it.
Now, as I supported ToasterStrudel lynching later in the game, and have been jumped on it by Yosarian, who I believe to be scum partners with Phoebus, DP, and Primate.
Phoebus wrote:
And I have nothing against cubsfan as a person but just believe that his style may be detrimental to the game.
I get jumped on for doing something similar to this TS, and you let Phoebus off without even a mention of it. Well, obviously, no one is going to get angry at their scum partner for trying to bandwagon someone.
Well, for the good of all of us except for the scum, mole gets replaced by a reasonably smart player, who notes, on his first post in the game:
Jalyn wrote:
a) When Pheobus said:
at the risk of sounding repetitive, when i'm voting you because you can be a troll, can you please give me reasons not to vote you, without calling me names?
He wasn't actually voting for cubsfan4ever.

b) as soon as DragonPheonix talked about how fast the cubsfan4ever bandwagon was moving, it almost immediately starting reversing and TS started to go up.

Hmm. Thinking about it.
He notes how DP has been able to exert a great amount of control over a few players, who influence everyone else.

Summary
Dragon Phoenix started off a few pages before that with his altercation with kinkster, who made a vote for him based on his comments. He switches to mole, following Phoebus, who voted him for his inaction. I made a mistake in saying that he followed DP, because I only checked back to page 5 for the voting, and it had them both there. Honest mistake. But, after that, the four scum players stick together in their pairs, with Yosarian and Primate, DP and Phoebus, all playing the same, and voting on them together. They remained that way, more or less, for a long time, occasionally switching off to a player not drawing so much suspicion (Phoebus onto cubsfan), (DP onto nonvoters), so that they may remain in the background, not drawing as much suspicion as they should be.
Finally, we get to page 9: DP finally moves off of his nonvoters, and switches to Raffles. Next post, Phoebus elaborates on it, votes Raffles, and stays suspicious of Kinkster, who his partners are voting for. That is how I made my conclusion, in that they have all been connected by voting on similar players, usually directly after each other.
Toaster Strudel
Toaster Strudel
Mafia Scum
Toaster Strudel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #237 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:52 am

Post by Toaster Strudel »

I agree with hollywoody's reasoning, though the conclusion doesn't necessarily follows, it's an avenue worth investigating.

I do think that hollywoody is town.
[i][url=http://chantalpare.ca]Squeezable icing, flaky pastry crust and sweet, gooey fillings are irresistible.[/url][/i]
[url=http://www.lawrencejoseph.org/1indexh2.html]The Harpits Greatest Pits - Free MP3's[/url]
AlexPaoletti
AlexPaoletti
Townie
AlexPaoletti
Townie
Townie

Post Post #238 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:27 am

Post by AlexPaoletti »

Hollywoody's convinced me.

Unvote: Toaster Strudel

Vote: Dragon Phoenix
VitaminR
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
VitaminR
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #239 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:51 am

Post by VitaminR »

Toaster Strudel wrote:I agree with hollywoody's reasoning, though the conclusion doesn't necessarily follows, it's an avenue worth investigating.

I do think that hollywoody is town.
I agree.
scotmany12
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
scotmany12
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #240 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:00 am

Post by scotmany12 »

Hmmmmm, very interesting Hollywood...
Phoebus
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Phoebus
Hall Monitor
Hall Monitor

Post Post #241 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:16 am

Post by Phoebus »

woody.
Fascinating.

You have points. At least you've cleared up now that I was
not following
DP along any lines.

To your credit, I don't think I'll be voting you any time in the near future.
Which leaves me happy with my vote.
Especially since the recipient himself seems happy with it.

What I find funny is the fact that the four most experienced players (potentially) are being accused of sticking together.

Now I wonder whether that says more about how this game is being played
OR
There's a freak coincidence that led to such players becoming a scum team.
However, with the most potential experience coming together, would they be blatantly scummy with each other?

Call it WIFOM if you like but this just struck me.
[/random musings]
hollywoody1221
hollywoody1221
Townie
hollywoody1221
Townie
Townie

Post Post #242 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:05 am

Post by hollywoody1221 »

To be fair, Phoebus, I didn't look at the date of each person's joining when I came up with my reasoning. Even if y'all(god, it sounds so much better to say that in spanish than it does in southern) were 'blatantly scummy' together, there was almost no attention being paid to you. So, it was completely possible that no one would notice the connection until it was too late, which would have been bad.
hollywoody1221
hollywoody1221
Townie
hollywoody1221
Townie
Townie

Post Post #243 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:10 am

Post by hollywoody1221 »

And, in response to the WIFOM comment, as I stated in my second long post, and as you alluded to, you 'veterans' have much more influence and control than anyone else would be expected to have. This could lead to them being more obvious, and being less subversive than they might normally need to be.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #244 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:09 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Hollywoody: Hmm, interesting. I notice you've abandoned most of your earleir arguments, but now your main point seems to be that most of the veterens tend to be voting the same way.

I can kind of see what you mean, although I tend to think it's more a matter of experenced players tending to see things in the same way. For example, Phoebus started out the game by saying for a few posts "let's lynch mole, he's always useless". I tend to ignore stuff like that as not really meaningfull, as it was basically just a way for him to start the game off with a not-random vote and as mole was never really in danger. However, your push to lynch Toaster Strudel for her playstyle seemed more scummy to me, as she was in serious danger of being lynched and yet you haven't really been acting like you think she was likely scum. It just seems off to me.

My hunch would be that other experenced players would tend to view the play in the same way, which is why experenced players votes tended to cluster in the same places. If all the 'vetren" players in the game tend to vote for or at least agree about suspicions on some of the same people, it's most likely because they're all following the same basic rules of thumb when it comes to scumhunting and they agree on some of the same things as being scumtells, not because they're all scum together.

That being said, I went back after reading your post and looked at the experenced players in a little more detail, and Dragon Phenox's play so far this game has seemed a bit strange, although I haven't played in that many games with him so I don't know if it's his normal playstyle. But most of what he has done as far as attacking people is concerned is either following other people's lead/supporting other people's bandwagons or lurkerhunting (well, non-voter-hunting to be technical). I've got no problem with lurkerhunting, but not if it's all you're doing.

For example, most of his non-lurkerhunting posts have been either agreeing with someone else's point or giving some kind of support to someone else's attack without giving his own thoughts.
Dragon Phoenix wrote:I must say that that post does not sit well with me either.

Unvote spectrumvoid
Vote Raffles
is a good example of this.

This behavior really isn't sitting right with me.
fos:dragon phoenix
. I know it's still early, but if he dosn't start expressing some views of his own on some of the major bandwagons we've seen so far, that might become a vote.
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #245 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:16 am

Post by Primate »

I probably haven't made a couple of these points as well I as I thought I did when I originally made them. It also started as an attack and got distinctly meandering and sarcastic towards the middle, then just kind of died. meh. I'm still digesting, really.
Hollywood wrote:Is it really trying to look town if you really are town?
No. That's completely against the point though. We have no idea whether you're pro-town or not. If you're making an active attempt to appear pro-town as town, then you're not playing the game right. This isn't a competition to see who can act the most pro-town, then whoever doesn't will get lynched. What you will learn is that the scum you're trying to chase down will act, if anything, more helpful than the town. They will make sure that each of their points is perfectly explained, they will have back-up and contingency plans, they will rarely slip, because
they
are making an effort not to slip. So you have two groups. The scum are trying to appear as pro-town as possible. The Town are trying to weedle out the people trying to act as pro-town as possible. If you decide to screw it up, and actively try and act pro-town to the point where you're hampering you scum-hunting activities, it is possible you will be mistaken for scum and lynched. This is also against the point, though, really, and I put nowhere near this much thought into it when I originally attacked you. The simple truth though, is that if you see someone making comments along the lines of
I am trying very hard to do all I can for this town, make sure that my every waking moment is ruled by the desire to hunt those evil scum, and there is nothing more that I would like to do more in this world than to kill a scum today!
then the person doing it is probably scum.
woody wrote:First, in case anyone has condemned me for calling a fellow townie an ally...what should I call them?
Say for example you had a friend called Billy. Now, you quite like Billy, in fact, you might say that Billy is your best friend. You tell Billy this, and he is pleased. Billy, then, for the next two months follows you around saying to every single person you meet "THIS IS HOLLYWOODY, AND HE IS MY BESTEST FRIEND IN THE WORLD". Now, after a month or so, this is going to get really fucking annoying, amirite? This is effectively what you are doing here. You are saying "I AM HOLLYWOODY, AND THIS IS MY ALLY, PRIMATE. WE ARE ON THE SAME SIDE. YES! ME AND PRIMATE TOGETHER! ALLIES! So then, when I point out to you, this really isn't particularly normal behavior, you respond with a dictionary quote. Which is 100% correct, I grant you, but it just completely and utterly misses the point.
Woody wrote:Primate, who seemed to awake out of a multi-page slumber to bring accusations against a person who has the best interests at heart.
Here's another thing I don't think you seem to grasp particularly well. Here you attack me for attacking you, an innocent. However, we have absolutely no idea whether you're innocent or not. This is a legitimate thought to actually
have
, I grant you, however, you don't actually say stuff like this. Why? Because it is completely and utterly useless. No-one in this game knows whether you are an innocent or not, so no-one can base an informed decision on what you are saying. And, regardless, once you're getting into the area where you're attacking people for attacking, you, someone you know to be innocent, you're entering a situation where it is infinitely more productive to just do all you can to actually prove you're innocent, making everyone else in the game think "aaah, he's attacking someone who I think looks innocent, I should probly watch out for him", which, as I say, is better than "aaah, he's attacking someone who keeps insisting that he's innocent. wish I had some idea whether he was innocent or not, like he does"

As for your accusation of lurking. Well, yes. I do lurk. It's to do with a few things, both access-related and mindset-wise. I was never the most verbose person, and I've just been in a funk since the beginning of February. I can't defend it on ethical ground, cause it simply isn't defensible. I can, however, say that it isn't at all indicative of my alignment. 2 week periods of inactivity are, whilst not common, possible, and shorter periods, 5-7 days, common. I can give you links if you want.
Woody wrote:Primate- He randomly brought an accusation of me to the table, after I've done nothing that has been anti-town, because that would be anti-me.
"I AM THE AVATAR OF TOWN! ANTI-TOWN = ANTI-ME! I WILL DRIVE THE SCUM BEFORE ME WITH MY COLOSSAL EGO! WATCH AS I SAY I AM COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY WITHOUT FLAW IN ANY WAY, AND ALL ATTACKS AGAINST ME ARE THE FEEBLE MACHINATIONS OF SCUM TRYING TO DESTROY MY GREAT INTELLECT!". You say that I am 80% scum simply because I attacked you? Do you see how plausible it is, from my point of view, that you arbitrarily pulled that number completely out of your ass, and you are simply calling me 80% scum in order to detract from my credibility in order to weaken the wagon against you? Hell, you didn't seem to notice anything else there that might make me assume that that wasn't the case, did you. So, either you're completely talking out of your ass, there was a vital point you completely forgot to mention, or you failed to think things thought properly before you actually posted, and also failed to consider the fact that I addressed above (the 'we dont know youre innocent' thing).
Woody wrote:Ok, I'm too tired to do anyone else right now, but I listed the people that have been playing the largest roles, or been posting most consistently. I think DP and Yosarian, and Primate are scum partners, as I implied during my section on the characters.
People who aren't scum agree. There are going to be ties between every single person in this game, strong ties. People are going to agree with things, both things that seem to make sense to you and things that don't make sense to you. If every time someone agrees with someone else you see a scum pairing, then you will overload, brain hemorrhage and die. Also, you're missing the fact that the scum will make an active attempt to not agree with each other. I've seen scum claim guilty cop results on their partners, I've seen scum create huge, multi-post cases against their scumbuddies. Do you really think that just because people agree or disagree it makes them scum? Of course not. There are elements of that, but the vast weight of the evidence has to do with the
way
people agree/disagree, and the things they do it on, not the simple fact they did so.
Wood wrote:The only people that will follow a lynch on someone who hasn't shown up yet are people who want to lynch a townie who won't defend himself. So, yes, I become suspicious of you there.
So you say that the only people who will do something are scum? Well, then, is there a bad side to doing it? We may lose a townie if it ever gets near lynch (which I doubt), but we end up with a nice bandwagon to dissect.
wood wrote:Primate, defending one of his partners, creates the kinkster bandwagon.
If you're really this paranoid, and this convinced that your theories are correct, then there really is no helping you. You've started
And, in response to the WIFOM comment, as I stated in my second long post, and as you alluded to, you 'veterans' have much more influence and control than anyone else would be expected to have. This could lead to them being more obvious, and being less subversive than they might normally need to be.
pfft. Even you know you're streching here. You're bending this point around your theory. Go away, take a nap, and think about this all. Then reread the thread, and come back with an opinion that factors in what me, phoebes, and to a lesser extent Yosarian, have said. You can decide you don't want to take our advice if you really want, but if you're that unquestioningly convinced that you have nailed a scum group that has 14 years of mafia experience between them (though 7 of that is DP :D), and you're that convinced that you've done it halfway through Day 1, then you should learn to control that ego a bit.

And I see Yos has just made a post.
hollywoody1221
hollywoody1221
Townie
hollywoody1221
Townie
Townie

Post Post #246 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:04 pm

Post by hollywoody1221 »

1)When I said that there was an 80% chance that I thought you were scum, you know what that means? It means that, at that particular moment, I believed there to be an 80% chance that you were scum.
2) Obviously, no one knows what anyone else is, except for the mafia, who know who is mafia, and who isn't mafia. And, since no one knew me to be town, I had a number of choices
A) I don't defend myself at all, allowing a bandwagon to form, and possibly resulting in my lynch, which would not be good, for myself (obviously) and for the rest of the town.
B) I sarcastically satire the position, as Kinkster is doing. It's not working so well for him, so I decided this would not be the smartest thing to do.
C) I defend myself vehemently, going after anyone who has accused me. Yes, I was rather harsh of you. Yes, I'm still reasonably sure that you're mafia. This was the only logical move I could make, and arguably the best one, as if we lynch mafia today, then the mafia would probably get just a
little[/b] bit angry that I brought suspicion unto them. The doctor, if there is one, may notice they would want to get rid of me, as I found them out. Hopefully, he would defend me.
Of course, this depends on a number of things
1) I don't get myself lynched
2) There is a doctor
3) We lynch mafia
4) The mafia decides to kill me.
If we don't lynch mafia, then I am not sure how this will pan out. But, to be fair to primate, I did attack him for attacking me, but I felt I had to. And, I am much more suspicious of DP, as he is much more suspicious, in that he couldn't find a single person more suspicious than someone who isn't there.
Primate
Primate
Mafia Scum
Primate
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #247 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:22 pm

Post by Primate »

I got that. I'm saying though, that you pulled the number out of your ass. Why not 60%? Why not 95%? I'm saying that single solitary poin t you have against me is useless. You say that I attacked you, and because of that, you are 80% sure that I am mafia. Does that then mean that because you're attacking DP, DP should be 80% sure
you
are scum? If not, why not?
You miss a really major factor.
D)
"Yes, I have done something legitmately scummy. However, I am not scum, so I will do my best to prove to the accuser that despite the fact that I have done something scummy, he should be focusing on someone who is, y'know, actually scum."

D) is a really major option, and probably the most important, which makes it's omission all the more annoying.

The point is, every single one of the three options you give is a bad one. You make #C out to be legitimate, when it really isn't. If it was, we would lynch someone now, then we would immediately lynch the person who led the wagon because 'they attacked a townie, therefore whatever logic they used was 100% incorrect' that is, though, wrong. Townies do dumb and scummy things, and even if they don't, it's possible that a townie will get overly paranoid and see something in someone elses post that wasn't intended, or whatever. Point is,you are apparantly 80% sure I'm scummy because I pointed out something scummy you did.

As for the fact you just told everyone you aren't the doctor, well I think we can both agree that was stupid of you.

A question. Have you ever played mafia before, on another board? Do you have a link?
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #248 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:23 pm

Post by Yosarian2 »

hollywoody1221 wrote:1)When I said that there was an 80% chance that I thought you were scum, you know what that means? It means that, at that particular moment, I believed there to be an 80% chance that you were scum.
2) Obviously, no one knows what anyone else is, except for the mafia, who know who is mafia, and who isn't mafia. And, since no one knew me to be town, I had a number of choices
A) I don't defend myself at all, allowing a bandwagon to form, and possibly resulting in my lynch, which would not be good, for myself (obviously) and for the rest of the town.
B) I sarcastically satire the position, as Kinkster is doing. It's not working so well for him, so I decided this would not be the smartest thing to do.
C) I defend myself vehemently, going after anyone who has accused me. Yes, I was rather harsh of you. Yes, I'm still reasonably sure that you're mafia. This was the only logical move I could make, and arguably the best one, as if we lynch mafia today, then the mafia would probably get just a
little[/b] bit angry that I brought suspicion unto them. The doctor, if there is one, may notice they would want to get rid of me, as I found them out. Hopefully, he would defend me.
Um, no, not at all.

You don't "go after anyone who has accused you" if you're town. That's called OMGUS voting, and it's not helpful.

If someone attacks you, you should respond to their attacks logically, with reason, and explain why the reasons they're attacking you are not valid. Trying to attack the person who's attacking you just because they're attacking you dosn't at all answer the arguments they've used against you, and just makes you look scummier.
Raffles
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Raffles
Mafia Zcum
Mafia Zcum

Post Post #249 (ISO) » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:51 pm

Post by Raffles »

I'm afraid I'll be away for next 5 days, no, I haven't read those posts in detail. I apologize but replace me if needs be. Otherwise, I'll resume on 22nd.
Woof!

Return to “Completed Large Normal Games”