Newbie 384: All over 'cept the finger-pointing!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (isolation #0) » Thu May 31, 2007 5:58 am

Post by WindFish »

Hi everyone!

Vote: Yosarian2
via Excel formula "=FLOOR(RAND()*6+1,1)" and then holding down F9 with my eyes closed for a few seconds.

Gotta start somewhere.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #10 (isolation #1) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:20 am

Post by WindFish »

Whoa, putting pickem at lynch-1 out of the gate? Is it bandwagon?

And why haven't we heard from Yosarian?

I'm going to swing my vote over to alter the pressure balance.
Unvote: Yosarian2
Vote: truncator
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (isolation #2) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:03 am

Post by WindFish »

To me, it wasn't so much that the lynch-1 vote was "early" on Day 1 but that it was truncator's first vote (and first post in the game) that went immediately to the put someone to lynch-1.

I don't care if it we had been playing Day 1 for a week, if that were truncator's same first post, I'd raise an eyebrow.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #36 (isolation #3) » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:00 pm

Post by WindFish »

thedocsalive wrote:
Albert B. Rampage wrote:His balance pressure theory tickles me.
I interpreted it as putting some pressure on the person who put pickemgenius at lynch minus one early, though the wording could mean something more or different. I can't speak for him, however.
Yes, that's right. I was not pressuring for balance (like some sort of call to even out the votes) but redistributing the pressure allocation. Balance in the financial sense, not aesthetic sense, if you follow.
Yosarian2 wrote:Um, I posted just two posts before you did, windfish...
I apologize; you certainly did. I was going down my spreadsheet of vote tally, saw you hadn't voted yet, and somehow missed your post while scanning through the thread. Again, sorry for my unfounded whine.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #45 (isolation #4) » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:12 pm

Post by WindFish »

Yosarian's reasoning has re-affirmed my vote for truncator. Maybe he was just intentionally probing for some responses, but it does not appear to be very responsibly executed.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #54 (isolation #5) » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:04 am

Post by WindFish »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:He acts defensive, then quickly jumps on the offensive. He states the obvious. Also, as an side-reason, he is more chatty than his other games, as pickem has said.
Do you consider those actions to be pro-scum? To be anti-town?

What was Yosarian's alignment in those games where you claim he was less chatty? Could you to link to them so I could see?
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #68 (isolation #6) » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:44 am

Post by WindFish »

I'd just like to weigh in to thank pickemgenius and Albert for responding to my questions, though I am not convinced much to change my position.

Regarding the recent back-and-forth between Albert and Yosarian, my feeling on my "where's Yos?" post was not much of an attack; more like an observation, and a clearly faulty one, right? And Yos's response was also measured, IMO; he didn't flip-out, and he used some hedging "ums" and stuff because he was being conversational and trying to embarrass me by pointing out something I mistakenly overlooked.

Albert, you appear to be stirring something up out of nothing down this path.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #69 (isolation #7) » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:47 am

Post by WindFish »

Ah, my grammar failed me (and I even previewed too).

It should read that Yosarian "was being conversation and trying to
not
embarrass me".

(Even that splits an infinitive. Gah!)
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #70 (isolation #8) » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:49 am

Post by WindFish »

*sigh*

0 for 2

Yosarian was being conversation
al
and trying to not embarass me.

Isn't there some Internet law of nature that pointing out grammar and spelling mistakes only introduces more of them?
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #75 (isolation #9) » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:37 am

Post by WindFish »

MeMe
, can we get a prod on notehead? His/her last post was #7. Yeah, there was a weekend in there, but a lot has developed since then.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #84 (isolation #10) » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:08 am

Post by WindFish »

I wanted to post that I'll be away from home (heading to college reunion!) over the next few days, I'll still be checking in on the game, but less frequently. Perhaps only in the evening.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #100 (isolation #11) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:10 am

Post by WindFish »

I'm here. I didn't check on Sunday (busy driving home) but did check the other nights while I was at reunion. I didn't have anything to contribute then.

I'll respond more to thedocsalive's claims and vote against me in a bit.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #102 (isolation #12) » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:11 pm

Post by WindFish »

As promised, my response:
thedocsalive wrote:And while we would all like to hear truncator's response to Yos' questions, it doesn't mean the game has to be at a standstill while we wait for him to do so. Most notably, Windfish has posted the least during the whole thing.
I suppose it feels like a long time that I went without posting. (I felt the same when I called out for a prod when notehead went AWOL for several pages even though it was over a weekend in earth-time.) I did pre-excuse my lack of activity by being busy with out-of-game business. So while I understand that my failure to post during the Yosarian/truncator q&a interchange may have disappointed you, I think I've demonstrated signficant pro-town vigilance, posting a lot previously to my going-away post. (Even disregarding my grammar-correcting triple post. :o)

Specifically, I called attention to truncator's lynch-1 vote and to notehead's absence.

If I really wanted to reduce my participation rate without drawing suspicion, I could lied and said I wouldn't have a connection while away.
thedocsalive wrote:While I wouldn't lynch him for that alone, I do think it's suspicious how little he has posted throughout the game. Other than the discussion about the phrase "pressure balance," I think we have very little content from Windfish, which is bad.
3 of 24 posts on page 1.
2 of 24 posts on page 2.
4 of 24 posts on page 3. (2 if you neglect the triplepost)
2 of 24 posts on page 3. (1 of which is notifying I'll be away.)

So I don't think my participation rate has actually changed drastically. If what I've posted has been devoid of useful content, I'll work to improve that.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #107 (isolation #13) » Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:10 am

Post by WindFish »

trunc, your vote is presently cast on pickemgenius and the only one remaining on him. You claim it was a probing vote, just to see reactions.

Who are you suspecting is scum? Do you consider pickem's actions to be scummy? Give me something to work with, and I'll unvote my vote from you.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #118 (isolation #14) » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:00 am

Post by WindFish »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:My vote on WF could be because he followed my lead and unvoted, maybe to avoid suspicion.
Where did this happen? Other than my 1st random vote on Yos, I've kept my vote on trunc.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #135 (isolation #15) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:12 am

Post by WindFish »

My current ranking is for truncator/Albert as well. Trunc's statements have raised some doubts, but I still go back to the quick 3rd vote. He claims it wasn't accident, so I think it's either a nooby scum move or misguided town.

I think truncator announcing his desire for me to remove my vote from him makes it harder for me to do that now, since it alone makes it look like we have a covert channel going on in the thread. I'm keeping my vote on truncator.

Albert's play has been inconsistent to me. He casts accusations, pursues aggressively, then swings around and says he has faith in people. I don't suppose that's necessarily scum behavior, but inconsistent behavior means it's 50/50 to me that your playing for the mafia. So just a
FoS: Albert
for now.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #140 (isolation #16) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:41 am

Post by WindFish »

Albert B. Rampage wrote:Umm...who do I have faith in again ?
Hey, that was trunc again. My bad. So
unFoS
from Albert.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #143 (isolation #17) » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:38 am

Post by WindFish »

truncator wrote:So this is me you are talking about?
No, just the "faith" part was you. The other parts about inconsistency still apply to Albert.

I don't have an issue either way with who you have faith or good feelings about or whatever. I mistook it as part of Albert's loose cannon accusatory style.

Could an IC explain how Day 1s (in C9 games) typically arrive at a lynch? It seems like there's always too little information until there's a lynch and kill and then to look back at everyone's behavior from Day 1, but it appears difficult to make progress to that first lynch without so little to go on.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #155 (isolation #18) » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:19 pm

Post by WindFish »

I've PMed MeMe, but I think she should be able to figure out my role from the discussion! :P (That'd ought to make modding more interesting: not knowing who got what role.)

Anyway, there has been lots of interesting points, and I will re-read the thread.
Unvote
. Thanks for the explanation, thedocsalive.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #158 (isolation #19) » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:37 pm

Post by WindFish »

My initial vote on him was not "suspicion", just a reaction to his L-1 vote. I certainly grew more suspicious as Day 1 has progressed.

I'd like to re-examine my positions, since I haven't given it a fair shake all-around. Basically, I'm against groupthink and irrationality in general, and I don't want to act too rash if I'm being exploited. docs and Llama's last posts were catalysts for me to cool off and re-approach my line of argument.

I still may re-vote for truncator. But I chose to unvote while I mull it over.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #174 (isolation #20) » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:22 pm

Post by WindFish »

Laying it on a little heavy with the drama too. Could it be that both trunc and pickem are scum to through us off in case one goes?
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #179 (isolation #21) » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:58 am

Post by WindFish »

Yeah, I would expect some drama as part of the tension from the deadline, though it was quite a salvo. It's just something to note for the future.

I'm looking over the vote progression, and I have come around to conclude that truncator's voting pattern is not looking very favorable.

Truncator was the third to put a vote on pickemgenius. He didn't note, in doing so, that it was the 3rd vote. He states that he really
did
have a reason to cast that vote, that it was not a random vote. So it was a deliberate act. But he has not been very forthcoming with reasons for why he believes his vote target is scum.

Truncator kept his vote on pickemgenius until the last page when he switched over to Llamaherder. Again, this was the 3rd vote on a person. And there was no explanation to go along with that vote.

I find this pattern scummy because third on a wagon tends to be mafia.

So I
Vote: truncator
to put him at 3 votes. One more will be an immediate lynch, or if we hit the deadline, he'd be the first to go if no unvote intervenes beforehand.

Though now
I'm
also casting the 3rd vote on someone, I'm explaining my reasoning and giving context. That's a responsible way to do it.
WindFish
WindFish
Townie
WindFish
Townie
Townie

Post Post #256 (isolation #22) » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:41 am

Post by WindFish »

Wow, what an exciting development. Good game, scumteam, but I think Albert's impatient play is what cost the town. Kinda shows just how much cooperation the town needs to stick together, especially after lynching a townie on Day 1.

Near the end of Day 1, when trunc was getting fatalistic, I started to have some doubts again. Sorry for lynching you innocently, truncator.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”