Newbie 480: Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #150 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:15 am

Post by Porochaz »

Garnasha, I understand most of what your saying but you'll need to make your notes more clear if you want me to respond fully to them. In the mean time Ill try and answer bits of it...
Ganasha wrote: poro tells CS not to worry, but adds that he doesn't know why lynching him wouldn't benefit the rest of the group. What rest of group? Is this preparing CS for getting bussed?
No, it was a question to CS not a statement. I basically asked him to tell me why I should take my vote off him.
poro says he waits for someone to post wtf.
I'm on a hell of a lot and in the beginning I was naive at the speed these things go. That post was mainly to ask the IC's a general question.
porochaz gives off scummy vibes and tries to make a case about him being linked to CS seem stupid. Added: this mimics CS.
He also thinks it unfortunate the situation doesn't demand of him to unvote.
No matter what orientation you are, (town or scum) you are going to deny anything that links you as scum to someone else. Leets suggestion was not thought out very well, and I stated it. You'll notice I make my thoughts vocal frequently. CS was the person I was linked to so we are bound to make a similar argument... And I never said it was unfortunate...
porochaz says leeticon isn't mentioned after the random vote is removed, while in fact the vote is put back on leeticon. Blind?
Don't know what this is referring to but yeah, probably, I usually dont wear my glasses when online...

and sometimes walls of text are needed, when people like me just cant find the shortened way to say things...
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #151 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 am

Post by Porochaz »

I actually think I got most of it so I take my request for rewriting your notes back...
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #152 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:29 am

Post by Civil Scum »

Walls of text may be my bad. I guess I'm waiting for someone to find a way to cast leet\destructor's behavior in an unscummy light. Until someone shows me a way to view his actions as strange-newb-town, I don't think I can vote for anyone else.

Porochaz, you're awfully defensive and seem to take most comments as an attack on your civility. Not sure if this is a scum tell, as u also had a back-n'-forth with Zeek about posting habits (non-related game material) Anything thats makes you seem scummy to me completerly screws me up, because as I said I don't think poro and leet can both be scum.

All of my reasoning revolves around destructor's scumminess and this is sort of a problem.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #153 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:06 am

Post by Civil Scum »

I just realized that something about destructor's PBPA really bothers me.
Ergo wrote: Any buddying up is purely incidental. Heh, anti-town. Why, exactly? Do you think CS is scum?
This was in response to destructor's first substantial post. Ergo's buddying up is arguably anti-town?
It's funny cause I got the general impression from destructor's post that he was suspicious of me.
destructor wrote: Overall, after a questionable start, CS seems to be scum-hunting, though he's been focusing his hunt on my predecessor. I think this has been a significant part of his play this game and I wonder if my play will change this.
He views most of my early behavior as only scummy, then lastly says that I appear to be working for the town. I don't like this transition.
And also, if he is largely suspicious of me (Me and Ergo it looks like which is one of those pairings that must seem highly unlikely to most of you, I hope) then why in the world is he concerned with how his later play will affect my suspiicions of him?

Who cares about the suspicions of scum? He's suspicious of me, but hopes to change my mind. You got your work cut out. Can you cast the light by which leet's behavior is no longer scummy? You insist that I should go back and do this. But frankly I just don't know how. Show me.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #154 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:30 am

Post by pablito »

Vote Count

Erg0 (2): ZeekLTK, Porochaz
destructor (1): Erg0
Garnasha (1): Ripley

Not Voting: Garnasha, destructor, Civil Scum

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch!
Sup, later.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #155 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:32 am

Post by Porochaz »

Civil Scum wrote:Porochaz, you're awfully defensive and seem to take most comments as an attack on your civility. Not sure if this is a scum tell, as u also had a back-n'-forth with Zeek about posting habits (non-related game material) Anything thats makes you seem scummy to me completerly screws me up, because as I said I don't think poro and leet can both be scum.
You may have noticed I like to reply to any questions that are raised to do with me, I come on a lot so I like to make replies, Garnasha made some notes on me, I felt I should explain my reasoning behind various things but looking back on it I only feel Im properly defending myself when I talked about the leet link between us two. The other 3 things I raised I joked about 1, I made sure Garnasha understood my post in the first point and my first line of this post explains the naivity factor that I mentioned in the post above.

Also I didn't feel I was on the defending end when Zeek and me had our argument, I felt I was the one "attacking", if you like, him.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #156 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:58 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

Bah
vote: destructor
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #157 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:44 pm

Post by Garnasha »

Ok, caught up reading more or less, I'll have to read more closely to look for scumtells, but I roughly know what has happened over the last six pages. I'm at the end of a test week (is that the correct translation?), I'm having a biology test in four mins and three tests tomorrow, after that my vacation starts. I tell you this for two reasons:
- To let you know you'll have to wait a bit over 24 hours for me to get fully active
- To tell you you'll need every minute of that time to prepare for the rapid-
firing
posting suspicion cannon mode I'm planning to enter once I got the time. I will be asking everyone in turn about every little thing that I find illogical, for two reasons: to get into discussion, and to speed up this slow game.
gtg now, see you in 25 hours.
V/LA until finals are over.
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #158 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Post by destructor »

I'll finish the PBPA then respond to anything that's come up.

Porochaz

First post I note is 23 where Porochaz is posting about CS and says, "I am sure your scum." I realise this has already been discussed but I thought I'd bring this up. Later in Post 31 he says:
Porochaz wrote:The "sure" comment was A. To keep the pressure on Civil and B. a slight mistake on my part showing my over keenness in the game...
I'm not sure (heh) how true both of these can be at the same time. I could understand A alone, but B implies that it had more to do with trigger-happiness than pressure tactics.

In Post 39 Porochaz seems to back Zeek up after Erg0's attack suggesting that he may be reaching (grasping) and even suggesting a connection to CS. His suspicion of Erg0 get fleshed out further in Post 70 (eventually leading to his vote on Erg0) and Post 87. Given the nature of these posts, including Post 44, where he points out a short-fall of Erg0's theory about addressing the latest voter in reference to CS, I think it's safe to say that Erg0 and Porochaz are not scum partners.

Post 70, where Porochaz posts a player summary, has been discussed already, especially his verdict on peapod. It was pointed out that he was a bit generous with it, and provided an explaination in Post 74, which I really didn't find too convincing. Defintely something to keep for reference.

On this point, though, Zeek and Porochaz recently had a to and fro. I'd like bring attention to this:
Porochaz in Post 123 wrote:I started with peapod because A. she had nothing much to do with the game, B. I didn't have much to type about her and
C. I had already come to my conclusion that her few responses had been what I think has been pro town but because of her lack of posting you cant say one way or another.
I find this non-conviction suspicious. He basically states an opinion then backtracks immediately. What are we supposed to make of his reasoning? He certainly hasn't legitimised his initial stance on peapod. This particular quote is also reminiscent of his earlier comment, which I quoted above.

The exchange with Zeek makes me think that he and Poro are unlikely scum partners, too.

There have only been a few posts of Porochaz's that have stuck out as particularly odd to me. I don't think that he's town for sure, but he's certainly not my most suspected player at this stage.

Ripley

Ripley has been harder to read than most players. I can't say I've picked up anything obviously anti-Town from
him
. There's not much scummy either. As the game progresses, I'm sure his alignment will become much clearer.

First thing I noted was that he voiced early suspicions of CS (Post 17). I think his comment was not unwarranted. He did continue to flesh this issue out in his posts that followed, the one in which he elaborates most being Post 46 where he notes CS's selectivity between leet and Porochaz.

I noted the last paragraph of Post 61. Ripley included the words, "if you're town", but regardless, he does give an impression that he believes that CS
is
town, which he may be doing under the guise of ICing. I also note in this paragraph a slight casting of suspicion on Erg0. It is subtle, but that seems to be the way Ripley is playing.

Ripley has raised peapod up on a few occasions. He refers to her questioningly in posts 61, where he asks her to qualify her comment about the CS issue being over-explored, 73, where he says Poro's verdict on peapod was generous, 130, where he shows a possible connection to Erg0, 139, where he explains the possible connection to CS. Also, on a number of occasions Ripley has either requested peapod be prodded, replaced, or something of a similar sentiment. This does come across as scum-hunting and dealing with a lurker, but the possibility has crossed my mind that he is bussing or buddying peapod up with various players. The fact that he has asked for her to be replaced does make this seem unlikely (or incredibly ruthless!), but I thought I would note it anyway.

I wasn't really convinced by the reasoning he provided for a possible connection between Porochaz and leet (me) in Post 92. I assume their simultaneous unvoting was a matter of coincidental timing and CS voting for both is something neither could control. This leaves the only real connection being their initial vote for him and their thoughts on him, though they both come at CS from notably different angles, so his suggestion came across to me as a bit of a reach.

The last paragraph of Post 92 also seemed to contain a subtle defence for Zeek. This came across to me in much the same way as Post 61, which I noted above, did like a comment about players being merged into a bit of ICing.

Overall, Ripley seems to be helping the game along, providing insightful comments and scum-hunting. He is hard to read, though, so the jury's still out.

ZeekLTK

His first post, Post 21, was phrased too aggressively for my liking. Despite this, I found myself agreeing with the gist of it up until he seemed to blow the 'obligated' point out of proportion.

He responds to Erg0's accusations in Post 42 and gets pretty defensive pretty quickly. Again, I think he is still more or less on the money with his comments. He raises good questions and, besides the tone, I think what he says is called for. His last point about the 'obligatory' thing didn't sit very well with me. I thought he did make a big point of it, while he says it was "kind of an after thought".

His confrontational manner continues in Post 53 when he responds again to Erg0. I think he exaggerates a few things and magnifies certain points, which I find dodgy. But he does manage to illustrate a certain perspective, which seems reasonable once you look past the loaded language.

Given their exchange in page 4 and earlier, I think it's highly unlikely that Erg0 and Zeek are scum partners.

Zeek's response to Porochaz in Post 108 seemed more aggressive/defensive than it needed to be. He seemed to gloss over the point about Poro asking for his opinion on Erg0 and focus on the part about him not posting. I get this impression that Zeek will cry foul every time someone casts the slightly bit of suspicion on him. I think this isn't too cool from a pro-Town perspective, since it can end up causing confusion, but on the other hand, he
has
generated discussion and raised decent points. Regardless, I find his defensiveness unsettling.

I thought Post 122, where he suggests a connection between peapod and Porochaz, was a reach, or at least the angle he approached it at. He articulates this connection more convincingly in the post that follows, but I found his initial reason, that peapod was at the top because she was "easiest to identify as town", questionable.

His bout with Porochaz that follows was interesting. His point about "bad logic" (Post 126) was shot down by Porochaz in the following post. I assume his question about Poro voting Erg0 was based on the 'bad logic' issue, so I found it a strange one to ask. His question about peapod was better, and I'm still not convinced by Porochaz's response to it, as I stated earlier.

I've read Zeek as reactionary, aggressive AND defensive, though this may be his playstyle seeing as he's been consistent about it! I'm not a fan of playstyles being used as excuses for scummy behaviour, but it does look like he is scum-hunting and I find myself agreeing with him more often than not.

PHEW!

That took too long! =D I'm still playing catch up, but now that that's done I can respond to the game as it goes.

I'm still most suspicious of Erg0 and I'll be responding to his response first thing after this. That said, I think Garnasha needs to post more content before I think about voting Erg0 and placing him at L-1.

On votes, I am unimpressed by Civil Scum's vote on me. Eager much? I will be responding to his posts too.
.::][:::::][:::::][:::::][::.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #159 (ISO) » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:34 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Thanks for that destructor, very detailed and Ive certainly picked up on a few things from your PBP that I missed, as far as the peapod thing goes, I guess my opinion will have more ground to stand on (whatever that opinion may be) when Garnasha starts doing his quick fire posting!

BTW, Garnasha, I don't particularly think this has been a slow game. It got slow when we were looking for replacments but thats only natural, before that it was relatively fast paced and I thought it looked like it was speeding up again. But I am looking forward to seing what your quick fire suspicions are and hope we get some interesting discussion.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #160 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:33 am

Post by Erg0 »

destructor: to help you respond to the most important points, my basic issue with you is that you can't seem to make up your mind what you want to accuse me of. In your notes on CS you think he might be distancing from me, then in your notes on me you say you think I'm buddying up to him, then you say that my "defence" of his actions was anti-town.

If CS is scum then only the first and third could be true. If he's town then only the second could be true. You can't use all three points in the same argument, they're mutually exclusive.

Your point about Peapod following me is a good observation, but then you add this:
destructor wrote:Very similar wording and sentiment, six posts apart. I'm not sure if this says more about peapod or Erg0, if anything at all.
I don't see how this could possibly say more about me than it does about Peapod, since I made the statement first and he echoed me. You're pushing too hard to find points against me.

Finally, I take issue with the criteria you're using to rate scumminess. Zeek, for instance, is aggressive and defensive, but you dismiss that because he is "scum-hunting". Ripley is more or less playing the middle so far, but again you dismiss this because he's "scum-hunting". You seem to miss the fact that he hasn't moved his vote since the very first post of the game, a fact which I find very interesting. Porochaz has been tunnel-visioned, but again it's ok because he's "scum-hunting". Would you say that I've been scum-hunting? I think I've asked my fair share of questions and raised my fair share of suspicions.

An additional note - I realised something about this point from Ripley:
Ripley wrote:
Erg0 wrote:Also, I have a question for anyone that cares to answer it: Is it scummy to ask the second voter to unvote you but not the first? If so, why?
You're just going over old ground here. peapod already covered this in post 60:
<snip>
In re-reading I found that I actually raised this myself as well, in post 54 - this is another point of mine that peapod repeated. Peapod's post 60 actually seems extremely similar to my post 54 in all respects.
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #161 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:35 am

Post by Erg0 »

EBWOP:
Erg0 wrote:
Civil Scum
has been tunnel-visioned, but again it's ok because he's "scum-hunting".
V/LA most weekends.
destructor
destructor
Mafia Scum
destructor
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #162 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:31 am

Post by destructor »

Apologies in advance for the big post! =)

I'll start with the anti-Town thing.
Erg0 wrote:Any buddying up is purely incidental. Heh, anti-town. Why, exactly? Do you think CS is scum?
Defending a player for them degrades discussion. The suspicions posted about a player should be responded to by the player in question and no one else. When someone else steps in and responds for them, we lose the possibility of a genuine reaction and the information the accused player posts becomes less valuable and revealing. You provided CS with an explanation, whether or not it was the truth. CS has embraced your explanation with open arms:
Civil Scum in Post 81 wrote:I am sorry you are coming under so much fire for defending a noob, but you did explain what I had been trying to clear up in precise detail.
Now we can only assume what further explanation CS would have provided if you had not done so for him. This is anti-Town. It has nothing to do with whether CS is scum or not.

Erg0 wrote:It
is
my place to interpret CS's post, and if someone else comes out with a radically different interpretation to my own it makes me wonder. If that interpretation is considerably more negative than my own, that makes me suspicious.
My criticism was of the assumption you made and more specifically the actions you took based on these. To quote myself:
destructor wrote:This comes across as a defense of CS, but one I think no one but CS himself was in a place to make...
My issue in this particular case was your
defence
of CS, not your
interpretation
. For the reasons I stated above, it was
not
your place to
defend
CS.

Erg0 wrote:Zeek was making assumptions about CS's motivations too. His (and yours, apparently) were considerably different to mine - he assumed that CS's post was motivated by scummy goals. I thought (and Ripley apparently agrees) that this was a stretch. Given that he was using these assumptions as the basis for a vote, I found this notable. I was attacking his assumptions, just as you're attacking mine.
Ripley commented on the first part of this. I did see Zeek's post as designed to portray CS in a negative light, but he included many questions which were specifically about CS' motives, whereas your posts made assumptions of his motives without ever asking a question. This is a marked difference so comparing my attack on you to yours on Zeek is disingenuous.

Also, Zeek never voted for CS. What exactly were you noting here? I did notice your backtracking on this point in 144. I remain unconvinced.
Erg0 wrote:The assertion that my assumptions are correct is a natural product of my attack. This will inevitably become an indirect defence of CS.
I think you're strawmanning here. Of course, if you're attacking Zeek based on an assumption, it makes sense that you would have to assert this assumption. Here, you are side-stepping, stating something that was never contested. My issue was the dishonesty you exhibited by stating that the defence of CS came after the attack on Zeek, while it is clear that you are basing your attack on Zeek on your defence of CS.
Erg0 wrote:The theory discussion was an answer to a direct question from Porochaz, which arose from a practical point that I didn't explain clearly the first time. I didn't start the discussion. I suspect that the only reson that you dislike my speculation but are ok with Zeek's is that you either agree with his or it suits your goals better.
I didn't like your speculation because it was unfounded and unnecessary. You were assuming innocence, whereas Zeek was raising suspicion. These two are completely different, the latter being far more appropriate.

Which question from Porochaz are you talking about? I'm can't see it.

Erg0 wrote:CS didn't write a novel, it was a two sentence post. One sentence was about Porochaz, the other about leeton. It's not like he was giving one or the other a disproportionate amount of attention, it's just that Porochaz responded and leeton didn't (until later).
The post's content
was
disproportionately about Porochaz. He directly refers to Porochaz, but votes for leet. I'm not suggesting that I know the what or why of this post, but
what i said
is that this selectivity is what made it notable. Your point about leet is still moot. Why should leet have replied to a post that didn't mention him besides an OMGUS vote? Sure, he could have
commented
on it, but there was nothing to
to since he wasn't addressed. I agree that this point is done to death. Funnily, it seems to be saying more about you than CS now.

Erg0 wrote:I stand by what I said in that post about my motivations. Zeeks vote looked to me like it was entirely based on the fact that I was picking on him, hence OMGUS. Sample quote: "you are off on your own little crusade against others who have done nothing to warrant it."
Sure, a comment like that does impress a bit of OMGUSness, but his post in which he voted you had content. OMGUS votes generally have feeble reasoning if any at all. By saying Zeek's vote was OMGUS you were disregarding the fact that he had reasoned it. When the reasoning was clearly present, why would you do this other than to discredit the person voting for you?

Erg0 wrote:In that particular post I'm arguing under the assumption that CS is a townie, because there would be no sense in even saying what I said if he's scum. My point was that if he's a townie then scum would have no better understanding of his motivations than a townie, so the fact that I figured out what he was trying to do (assuming that he's telling the truth when he says that I did) just shows that I am good at figuring out motivations. Scum don't get a mind reading device along with their PM.
They don't, but they have the advantage of knowing who is and isn't town, and using that to their advantage. Knowing a players alignment, despite what you suggest, makes it easier to gauge their motives. Your assumptions about CS fit this mould.

Erg0 wrote:I already said what I didn't like about leeton. We'd had a few days with no real action and I wasn't voting for anyone. Putting the first vote on you hardly qualifies as opportunism.
Given that your vote was based on something there was no way I could possibly defend myself against, yes, I think it does qualify as opportunism.

Erg0 wrote:destructor: to help you respond to the most important points, my basic issue with you is that you can't seem to make up your mind what you want to accuse me of. In your notes on CS you think he might be distancing from me, then in your notes on me you say you think I'm buddying up to him, then you say that my "defence" of his actions was anti-town.

If CS is scum then only the first and third could be true. If he's town then only the second could be true. You can't use all three points in the same argument, they're mutually exclusive.
I explained the anti-Town thing earlier in this post. About the other two, I note the things that stick out to me. I don't think I've gotten this game figured out, but I notice posts that suggest things to me. I noticed that CS had gone from "Erg0 is town for sticking up for me" to "Erg0 might be buddying up with me" after some pressure. This is a change of tune that is worth noting. I'm noticing in you actions that translate as scummy. My case
isn't
based on you buddying up to CS, though your actions around CS form a big part of it.
Erg0 wrote:Your point about Peapod following me is a good observation, but then you add this:
destructor wrote:Very similar wording and sentiment, six posts apart. I'm not sure if this says more about peapod or Erg0, if anything at all.
I don't see how this could possibly say more about me than it does about Peapod, since I made the statement first and he echoed me. You're pushing too hard to find points against me.
Given that I am suspicious of you, when I notice a strange post that mentions you, I am going to see if it has a connection. Reading further down your post, you're right about peapod. But this isn't really a defence for you. peapod's posts are questionable but I don't see them as effecting the case against you. They are, as my original point was, more about peapod than you. If you are scum, I'd be pursuing her in day 2.
Erg0 wrote:Finally, I take issue with the criteria you're using to rate scumminess. Zeek, for instance, is aggressive and defensive, but you dismiss that because he is "scum-hunting". Ripley is more or less playing the middle so far, but again you dismiss this because he's "scum-hunting". You seem to miss the fact that he hasn't moved his vote since the very first post of the game, a fact which I find very interesting. Porochaz has been tunnel-visioned, but again it's ok because he's "scum-hunting". Would you say that I've been scum-hunting? I think I've asked my fair share of questions and raised my fair share of suspicions.
I've found posts that raise my eyebrow from all players, but from you I have found the most consistently scummy posts. Zeek, I find myself agreeing with in most cases. I haven't found enough on Ripley to present a case and I don't think holding a random vote is scummy. I do it myself until I find a better place to put it. I never said CS was off the hook. Especially in light of his recent posts, I'm more suspicious of him than when I did my analysis.

I had a reread of all your posts. Your involvement in this game has revolved a lot around CS and Zeek and addressing the discussion that results from your posts about them. I think you've been more reactive than proactive this game and posted scummily in the process, hence my vote*.

*if Garnasha would post some stuff!
.::][:::::][:::::][:::::][::.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #163 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:56 am

Post by Garnasha »

Ok, didn't really read what you guys said, writing this quickly, about my going to post every little thing I find suspicious:
- If you're town, try to stay calm once I'm looking at you, and answer my questions the best you can. Don't lie.
- If you're scum, try to stay calm once I'm looking at you, and answer my questions the best you can. Don't lie.

destructor, I didn't really read what you said after my previous post, but if you keep posting walls of text I'm going to lynch you just to keep the thread readable.

I repeat: I'm a bit busy irl, wait till I've finished my tests please. I WILL vote for the next person commenting on my not posting. I've made my situation clear, only scum would make a case out of me not posting yet.

prime suspects atm: leet/destructor for independent scumminess (I'll elaborate later), Erg0 for a link to CS or Zeet for a link with CS. I'll be more precise and look for more once I got more friggin time.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #164 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:18 am

Post by Porochaz »

Before you start questioning people Ive got a few of my own...
Garnasha wrote: destructor, I didn't really read what you said after my previous post, but if you keep posting walls of text I'm going to lynch you just to keep the thread readable.
I liked destructors wall of text, he was making a pbpa and I got a clear view of where he was coming from. I occasionally post "walls of text" I think everyone who has had a major play in this game has posted one long post...(myself, destructor, leet when he was playing, Erg0, Zeek, CS and Ripley) Now this I don't think is scummy so why lynch him? and why do you think you have the power to lynch him by yourself?
I repeat: I'm a bit busy irl, wait till I've finished my tests please. I WILL vote for the next person commenting on my not posting. I've made my situation clear, only scum would make a case out of me not posting yet.
ok, but again not helping us find scum, people could have missed your post, there are a variety of reasons why people are wanting to listen to you, your promising to get this "slow game" running again and we are waiting for you to make your post once your tests are finished. Sorry if we are impatient.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #165 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 am

Post by Porochaz »

EBWOP:Now this I don't think this is scummy so why lynch him?
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #166 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:25 am

Post by Garnasha »

He made two friggin walls of text, the first one I knew was a pbpa, but the second one I don't have a clue. That remark about lynching him to keep the thread readable was a joke, as you might have guessed. It's 22:30 here approx. so I'm off. Goodnight everyone.
Ripley
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #167 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:14 am

Post by Ripley »

I don't think it's reasonable of Garnasha to keep complaining about "walls of text". This game has not been especially text-heavy by the standards of this site, And Garnasha only had about five and a half pages to catch up on, which really isn't much at all.

destructor has only recently joined the game and has had therefore to cram all his thoughts about the first 5 or 6 pages into a few posts. Plenty of people scarcely bother to comment on the earlier pages when replacing, and I actually appreciated the detail destructor provided, which didn't seem excessive. And if he wants to take the time to respond to CS and Erg0 in detail, well, that's fine with me too. They're both voting for him, after all. The post in which he replied was clearly written and well-illustrated with quotes. It's not a difficult read. I understand that Garnasha's remark about lynching him was a joke but his annoyance at "walls of text" is not. I'm automatically suspicious of anyone who appears to be discouraging people from posting detailed thoughts.
Erg0 wrote:In re-reading I found that I actually raised this myself as well, in post 54 - this is another point of mine that peapod repeated. Peapod's post 60 actually seems extremely similar to my post 54 in all respects.
You're absolutely right. I missed that. All of peapod's Post 60, apart from the excuses and promises, was indeed recycled material from Erg0's Post 54:
Erg0 wrote:The overreaction aspect has been well explored
peapod wrote:the issues have already been throughly explored.
Erg0 wrote:There's no question that it's overly defensive, but can you present a reason why it's
scummy
?
peapod wrote:So
why
is the OMGUS vote scummy?
So
why
is asking someone to unvote twice scummy?
So
why
is his ignoring leet scummy?
In the second example, although peapod does not include on her list the particular behavior referred to by Erg0 (freaking out on 2 votes) and changes the italicisation from
scummy
to
why
, her questioning is very similar. Almost like a continuation. What does this mean, if anything? I agree with destructor that it says more about peapod than about Erg0.
Erg0 wrote:Ripley is more or less playing the middle so far, but again you dismiss this because he's "scum-hunting". You seem to miss the fact that he hasn't moved his vote since the very first post of the game, a fact which I find very interesting.
Why?

As peapod's contribution style of lurking/excuses/promises/more lurking/more excuses etc etc became more firmly entrenched, I had more and more reason to be content with my originally random vote. I commented on this at one point in the game. And I've done more than anybody, throughout, to press peapod to start playing. I'd have thought it would be more noteworthy if I'd
unvoted
her. So: what was it about this that you "find very interesting"?

And I'm not getting the greatest vibe from Garnasha right now, so the vote stays where it is for the present.
Civil Scum wrote:Has anyone seen these types of things before from an overeager town newbie who doesn't know the game's pace, is not remiss to hop onto the first BW, and doesn't fear forming early conspiracy theories? Can the issues with Leet's (hence destructor's) be newb town?
leet couldn't really be said to jump onto a bandwagon. He was the first person to vote for you. However the nature of his vote did change from (originally) jokey to serious. I agreed with you earlier that his post 66 didn't apparently make a lot of sense, but possibly he had forgotten his original vote came before any suspicion - as you seem to have done by saying he jumped on the bandwagon. He seems to be saying that he doubts the validity of his assumptions about the game, and that his case against you is based on your opposition to these assumptions, so it's not worth a vote any more.

Overeager newbies who don't know the game's pace are very common, and rushing to judgement is pretty common too, though I can't relate that to conspiracy theories specifically.
CS wrote:Leet goes on to invoke some strange/insincere reasoning as to why he no longer feels I am most suspicious. This looks a bit like justifying an unvote which would otherwise seem very suspect, and still does in my book.
Why do you think he would have wanted to find a reason to unvote you?
CS, to Porochaz wrote: Anything thats makes you seem scummy to me completerly screws me up, because as I said I don't think poro and leet can both be scum.

All of my reasoning revolves around destructor's scumminess and this is sort of a problem.
I think if you're struggling to see Porochaz as scum simply because he doesn't fit as a scum partner for destructor, then you're way too closed-minded. As you seem to be acknowledging here.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #168 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 pm

Post by Erg0 »

destructor: I don't want to turn this into a massive post, so I'll just summarise rather than replying to every single point.
  • The essential issue seems to be that you see my vote on Zeek as a product of a defence of CS, not the other way around. I said several times that I thought CS's reaction was noteworthy, but that I thought Zeek's case (
    specifically
    Zeek's case) was a reach. It seemed to me that he was wilfully misunderstanding CS's response. My attack was on Zeek's case, which I suppose means that I was defending CS indirectly against Zeek's case, but
    not
    against anything that anyone else had said. Pointing out weak cases is
    not
    anti-town. I provided a more general defence for CS's actions later on, but as I said earlier that was only because I needed to justify my position under direct questioning. It was not the basis for my initial attack (at least not the
    stated
    basis, which is what's relevant to this discussion).

• I don't need to put a question mark in a post to ask a question, I obviously expect a response to any accusations I make. This is not a point of distinction between your attack and mine.

• Porochaz's question is in post 44 - immediately above the post in which I answered it.

• Re: Zeek's OMGUS, "You're attacking me and I don't deserve it"
    is
    feeble reasoning. That's the very definition of OMGUS.

• Your original point about peapod's echoing was not "this says more about Peapod than Erg0". I don't like that you try to pass this off as me defending myself - it was an attack on
    you
    for trying to tar me with someone else's actions. You seem to be having trouble telling the difference between attack and defence.

• I stand by my belief that the biggest reason you have for disliking my play is that you agree with Zeek and not with me. You say he was assuming suspicion while I was assuming innocence - I didn't assume innocence of CS, but I
    did
    assume suspicion of Zeek. You obviously think his suspicion was more valid than mine, and I think that's where this is coming from.
If nothing else, at least I'm fairly sure that your suspicion is genuine now. I would ask you to consider one other thing: assuming I'm not a bad player (which I'm not), what do you think my motivation would have been for doing what I did? I think it's reasonable to assume that I'd be aware that I'd be bringing suspicion on myself by going against the flow of the game in the way that I did.

On Ripley: Leaving a random vote on is one thing, but we're up to page 7 and this game isn't light on content. He seems content to poke and prod, without really doing anything that will thrust him into the spotlight, such as expressing genuine suspicion or placing a vote or an FoS. This is a pattern of play that I commonly see from scum on day 1.
V/LA most weekends.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #169 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:15 pm

Post by Erg0 »

Oops, meant to
Unvote
V/LA most weekends.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #170 (ISO) » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:31 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

destructor wrote: Porochaz wrote:
The "sure" comment was A. To keep the pressure on Civil and B. a slight mistake on my part showing my over keenness in the game...

I'm not sure (heh) how true both of these can be at the same time. I could understand A alone, but B implies that it had more to do with trigger-happiness than pressure tactics.
Porochaz's motivation for the sure comment was likely not to keep the pressure on me (the motivation he quickly offered). It was probably the overkeeness/triggerhappiness. It does sound disgenuine, but could be unwillingness to admit error. I don't view this as scummy neccesariuly coming from porochaz. I did stuff like this a lot in my first game just because I didn't want to look foolish or newbish at all.
ripley wrote: CS wrote:
Leet goes on to invoke some strange/insincere reasoning as to why he no longer feels I am most suspicious. This looks a bit like justifying an unvote which would otherwise seem very suspect, and still does in my book.

Why do you think he would have wanted to find a reason to unvote you?
I think that when believeing you have a dead-lock on someone (me) and being concerned with D-2, you should have some justification for removing your vote. A simple unvote would have looked bad.
He obviously wanted to find a reason for unvoting me, other than the fact that the heat was coming off. His post letting us know that he in fact unvoted at the same time as Porochaz shows this. He wanted to find a reason, otherwise it looks bad. For scum or town I 'spose.

I can definitely appreciate your point about him potentially forgetting why his vote went on me in the first place. Perhaps I should have said 'remiss to stick with the first BW'. Anyways he Did place the first vote, but also kept it there on the basis of other people's arguments and didn't really add too much, so I'd say he found himself content with his orignial vote and hopped on board with other people's arguments. Post 66 still doesn't sit right with me.

That said, AGAIN, I can't wait to hear from garnasha, and I'd like to read destructor's posts again, I think he made several valid points.

Ripley: The content you've posted has been extremely helpful and often insightful. You are fencing it a little bit though. A tad noncommital. However, I do believe that your extended suspicions of our resident lurker might be on track.

Looking around for two people who have not attacked, or expressed suspicion of each other... besides me and Zeek. I just can't find him scummy. I'm interested to hear how him and I are linked in Garnasha's mind.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #171 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:00 am

Post by Garnasha »

People, I finished my tests, now going to reread everything carefully and posting any suspicions that arise.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #172 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:15 am

Post by Garnasha »

Ok, I decided to make a post at the end of every page, and whenever I see something really suspicious. Whichever comes first.

Page 1: CS, looking at it for a second time, seems real panicky about loose-cannon townies. Noobtell, not scumtell imo. Ripley points out the panic, Zeek says he thinks ripley understated and interprets CS his obligation remark as feeling a need to justify his vote. leet then posts some pulp and goes on steering. poro is rather unfriendly towards CS, no prob there.

Prime suspect: leet.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #173 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:53 am

Post by Garnasha »

Sorry for the delay, I went to do something else and when I had finished I had to go to the chess club. Starting the reading again.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #174 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:46 am

Post by Garnasha »

Damn. I start reading stuff and writing stuff, and my head almost hits the keyboard. Sorry guys, too tired now to analyse anything. I actually was too tired to say anything useful when I had finished my tests. I'll try to post something tomorrow. Don't go rip each other's heads off with ropes and things like that before my thoughts make sense again ok? That always gives such a mess and it tends to end the day, which would be a pity since the mafia will prolly kill someone unless the doc saves someone. Would be a pity to lose two people before they can give their thoughts on my suspicions. gnight.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”