Newbie 480: Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Ripley
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #175 (ISO) » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:45 pm

Post by Ripley »

Civil Scum wrote:
Ripley wrote:Why do you think he would have wanted to find a reason to unvote you?

I think that when believeing you have a dead-lock on someone (me) and being concerned with D-2, you should have some justification for removing your vote. A simple unvote would have looked bad.
He obviously wanted to find a reason for unvoting me, other than the fact that the heat was coming off. His post letting us know that he in fact unvoted at the same time as Porochaz shows this. He wanted to find a reason, otherwise it looks bad. For scum or town I 'spose.
You've misunderstood the question - not your fault, I didn't express it clearly enough. What you have explained here is why a person wouldn't want to unvote without providing a convincing reason. But what I meant to ask was: why did he want to unvote? And want it badly enough to take the trouble to concoct a weak justification? Do you believe he would do that simply because he felt the momentum was moving away from you? Do you think he was lying when he said he hadn't seen Porochaz's unvote? If you look at the timing of the posts, I think it supports his version. leetonicon's post comes only 7 minutes after Porochaz's unvote, and there's nothing in Porochaz's previous posts to indicate that he's planning to unvote. leet's post clearly would have taken more than 7 minutes to write, and he doesn't just tag on the unvote randomly at the end, but says earlier that he no longer thinks you (CS) are as scummy as he did originally. He could, just about, have edited the original content after seeing Porochaz's unvote using Preview. But it seems against the odds.
Erg0 wrote:On Ripley: Leaving a random vote on is one thing, but we're up to page 7 and this game isn't light on content.
I've explained more than once now that the vote ceased to be random some time back.
Erg0 wrote:He seems content to poke and prod, without really doing anything that will thrust him into the spotlight, such as expressing genuine suspicion or placing a vote or an FoS.
You appear here to be accusing me of faking my suspicions. Are you going to offer any evidence for this? It seems like a very presumptuous thing to say.

I've seen no reason to move my vote from where it was in the first place, and have virtually never used FOS's. Since you can't be exactly sure of the precise degree of suspicion any individual person attaches to the term, I prefer to try wherever possible to express suspicion in other words.
Garnasha wrote:Ripley points out the panic, Zeek says he thinks ripley understated and interprets CS his obligation remark as feeling a need to justify his vote.
Where does Zeek say he thinks I understated?

The combination of excuses and promises we've been getting from Garnasha is eerily reminiscent of his predecessor, only they come a lot more thick and fast and Garnasha throws in threats and complaints as well. To be fair to him, some people have been pressing him to get posting quite quickly. But even so, there are ways of reacting to that...
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #176 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:06 am

Post by Garnasha »

I think I shouldn't replace. Zeek didn't really say you understated, but after you said it was slightly panicky he said it seemed really panicky. The understatement comment was not meant to be interpreted like he's attacking you, but as an indication "ripley says something and zeek says he feels the same but stronger". I think I won't go making pbpa, everytime I try I give up after five mins. Instead, I'll look through the thread and try to look at the big picture.
V/LA until finals are over.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #177 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:15 am

Post by Garnasha »

And I can't help noticing this again: poro and CS both say they would be stupid to act like that when they're scum. Then, leeticon withdraws his FoS. Destructor, seems you have replaced someone who seriously messed stuff up. CS, what the hell is wrong with thinking about day 2?

I won't make promises anymore, I always break them because of meatworld circumstances. But there is a lot more I want to ask you guys about, but I got to quit comp now.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum
Pronoun: He/Him

Post Post #178 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:38 am

Post by Civil Scum »

ripley wrote: But what I meant to ask was: why did he want to unvote? And want it badly enough to take the trouble to concoct a weak justification? Do you believe he would do that simply because he felt the momentum was moving away from you? Do you think he was lying when he said he hadn't seen Porochaz's unvote? If you look at the timing of the posts, I think it supports his version.
Well there's only two main categories why he'd want to unvote, depending on his alignment. 1-He's scum, the wagon was slowing, so rather than keeping it there and looking bad, he unvoted. 2-He's town, decided he thought I might be town, and unvoted to move on. There's a lot of other reasoning that could be involved in either case obviously, but I do believe it looks a bit like the lessening momentum (and not viewing my assumptions objectively) which led to his unvote.

I definitely do not think he was lying about the timing of the posts. I just find it curious that he would post immediately afterwards to let us all know that.
Why do that? He is very concerned with how his actions are percieved. This could be the result of people "pokling him" (ie-pointing out his tendency to fold/flop under pressure, Ergo stating that Leet keeping his vote on me while hovering doesn't sit right) but Iono about you, but as town I tend to just screw up and be slightly confused as to why I draw attention later. It's never, 'If I do this, will it look scummy' The effect of the guilty concience. It seems that he was quite aware/worried about appearing scummy.

As for Day-2. Looking there is great, sure. Asking for IC analysis and postulating on scum partners in the first two pages is notably strange.

I am a little more willing to lean in the neurotic newb-town direction. As poro pointed out earlier, Leet's reasoning was just plain weird. And maybe he is a touchy paranoid.

Ergo- I'd like to hear any sort of case someone could make on Ripley. I have gotten this general feeling, but I don't see much evidence. Besides his keeping his random vote. I think Ergo blew this out of porportion, considering that Ripley has explained it and it sounds legitimate.

Ergo, did you point a finger at Ripley just to do it? Or is there something else behind your suspicion, besides past game experience?

Garnasha doesn't convince me. Haven't heard from Zeek in a while.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #179 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:15 am

Post by Garnasha »

Hmm. Now if someone did something really scummy I could make a case out of it. But up till now I'm stuck in the looking for scum phase instead of the proving scum phase. I'll take another look at destructor's three walls. I prolly would have voted leet by now, so if destructor did anything strange independant of leet's behaviour I'm going to suspect a mutual cause, ie. they are scum.
ZeekLTK
ZeekLTK
Mafia Scum
ZeekLTK
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #180 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:47 am

Post by ZeekLTK »

Civil Scum wrote:Haven't heard from Zeek in a while.
Yeah, I had two exams and a project due last week so I didn't really come on here. Unlike Garnasha, I didn't feel the need to distract the game by continually pointing this out.
Erg0 wrote:[*]Re: Zeek's OMGUS, "You're attacking me and I don't deserve it"
is
feeble reasoning. That's the very definition of OMGUS.

If nothing else, at least I'm fairly sure that your suspicion is genuine now. I would ask you to consider one other thing: assuming I'm not a bad player (which I'm not), what do you think my motivation would have been for doing what I did?
I think it's reasonable to assume that I'd be aware that I'd be bringing suspicion on myself by going against the flow of the game in the way that I did.
Well I guess we will just disagree on the vote because you call it "OMGUS" and I say it's not. I would have voted for you, based on my reasoning, regardless of who you had voted for (me or anyone else).

My reasoning was that CS had a few suspicious posts and at the time you were completely ignoring them and telling people to move along and stop discussing them. To me it is anti-town to try to derail discussion about another player's suspicious behavior, so basically I voted for you for acting anti-town.

Also, the bolded part: Complete WIFOM. Scum still knowingly do things that bring suspicion onto them and then hope that no one notices what it is they really did. If people get a free pass for doing things that "they know are suspicious" we'll never catch scum in this game.

destructor wrote:I've read Zeek as reactionary, aggressive AND defensive, though this may be his playstyle seeing as he's been consistent about it! I'm not a fan of playstyles being used as excuses for scummy behaviour
This is a bit odd, at the end you just kinda throw out there that I "have scummy behavior", even though the majority of your post about me says the complete opposite. It's like you want to make sure everyone has a light of suspicion on them after your post, even if there is nothing you could find to pinpoint exactly.

Speaking of destructor's post; I see on his post he points out Porochaz responding to "bad logic". I actually missed this part of the post, so I went back and read it, so I will respond to it now:
Porochaz wrote:So wait, your saying that your logic is bad logic... but its in inverted comma's so it must mean you think its good logic, therefore I can think its good logic as well... no wait, your saying that although you cant see it as bad logic, everyone else should be able to and not follow your route. That just confuses me a bit, even more so the fact that I gave a bit of an explanation myself why I was voting for him then in post 87,(which you have ignored) I answered Erg0's answer to my vote, which by the way, you ignored even though he asked both of us and you posted before me.(about post 54...)
I felt my logic was fine, as I pointed about right above this quote. However, BOTH erg0 and CS said that they thought it was poor logic. So, I noticed that you had also voted for erg0 and your vote was pretty much based on my logic, which at least 2 other players considered bad...

So I took a step back for a second and said "hmmm, what if I'm wrong and erg0 isn't mafia?... is Porochaz maybe scum and he is just looking for a reason to start a bandwagon? And he decided to latch onto mine in this case? And maybe if my logic is as bad as those two claim, then maybe Porochaz is using a scum tactic of following a townie's vote/reasoning to get a bandwagon started."

So that's why I was asking about that, and brought it up a few times.
Ripley
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #181 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Post by Ripley »

Civil Scum wrote:Ergo- I'd like to hear any sort of case someone could make on Ripley. I have gotten this general feeling, but I don't see much evidence. Besides his keeping his random vote. I think Ergo blew this out of porportion, considering that Ripley has explained it and it sounds legitimate.

Ergo, did you point a finger at Ripley just to do it? Or is there something else behind your suspicion, besides past game experience?
Wow. For someone who can't find anything suspicious about me, you sure are keen to encourage someone else to.

You picked up right away on the comments made about me by Erg0 in Post 168, although the only concrete thing Erg0 is able to come up with is that page 7 is a bit late for a random vote - a vote which I had already explained, twice, was no longer random. The rest of it is vagueness about things I haven't done. Including, apparently, "expressing genuine suspicion", a remark I have objected to, and I'm still waiting for him to get back to me on that one.

But Civil Scum is happy to echo Erg0 in his next post, telling me: "You are fencing it a little bit though. A tad noncommital. " Maybe hoping someone else would pick up on it and take it further? Or that Erg0 would be encouraged by this voice of support and take it further himself. And when this didn't happen, perhaps he can't quite bear to let it go so, is afraid to wait in case the momentum passes and so makes a direct appeal to Erg0.

You see, looking at CS's words quoted above through suspicious eyes, it's quite easy to see this subtext: "Erg0, I'd love to help you try and take Ripley down but I can't find any evidence against him. Will you have another look and see if you can some up with something more incriminating? I'll back you up. I'll say for now that I have a
general feeling
about Ripley, which I can flesh out later. You haven't let me down all game, so go for it!"

Ah yes - that "general feeling". I've come across people with these feelings before; they tend to originate in the gut, and to be extraordinarily difficult to put into words. I believe that if you think you have a "feeling" about another player the right course of action is to look at the player's posts and try to figure out what is it that is causing you to feel. If you can't do that, you probably oughtn't to be posting about it. For one thing, how on earth is a player to defend against a "feeling" backed up by no evidence? They can't. For all I know, your "general feeling", if it exists, is caused by the fact that a kid called Ripley was mean to you when you were eight.

Civil Scum has gone up quite a few notches on my scale of suspicion. Also, I haven't forgotten how Erg0's helped him out and explained his motives for him, and how CS has twice gone out of his way to point out what an unlikely scum pair they must obviously seem, to the rest of us.

I'll be a lot busier than usual for a week starting tomorrow (Sunday). I'll keep up with the game but may not be able to post as much as usual.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #182 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:57 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

Weeeelllll, before anyone runs with that... the subtext was that I did have that general feeling. But, I'm not encouraging Ergo to make the case. I'd like to see if he can, cause otherwise I find it suspicious of him. That was the most anti-Ergo post I've made. That subtext was definitely your's Ripley. And if no one can make any sort of case (Ergo did blow the random vote point out of proportion) then I'd like to label you town for now. I echoed Ergo's ideas cause I had a similar feeling, not becuase I'm about to pounce on the case that gets made and make it my own.

Try and read my post with this in mind (if u want)->That I don't like the way Ergo brought that up (somewhat weakly) and says it's something he's seen from scum before. Just like Post 112 wherein he lists several things Leet had done which Ergo says he had seen from newb-scum beofre. This was of course his post re-voting Leet/Destructor "...to keep things moving at least a little bit while we wait." Right after he unvoted Leet while the replacement came in.

Sooo, anything BESIDES past game experience.
Ripley, you may have misunderstood my tone and intention, easily done with text.
I would prefer evidence to come from this game, and not general behavior observed from players not playing.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #183 (ISO) » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:13 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

I was asking anyone in the town, as well. I've been undecided on you all game, and no one has really taken suspicious of you at all.
An IC such as yourself can easily play a town-seeming game as scum (that'd be the point) SO, yes I would very much like to either be leaning (10% or so from 100% middle) towards scum if someone can make any sensible argument, or to be leaning town if no one can at the moment. I would like to hear from other players their opinions on your play so I can get you out of my gray gray area. This must certainly seem scummy. The sole act of Ergo explaining my odd-process is WIFOM. It doesn't say anything about either of us. Of course there is much to the situation aside from the actual act (which really if u go back, it was not a defense in and of itself.)
Ripley wrote: Civil Scum has gone up quite a few notches on my scale of suspicion. Also, I haven't forgotten how Erg0's helped him out and explained his motives for him, and how CS has twice gone out of his way to point out what an unlikely scum pair they must obviously seem, to the rest of us.
Yeah, no motives. Not just that though, Ergo wasn't explaining my "motives" (as previously discussed in the thread) - he fleshed out my usage of the word obligated and then the asking poro but not leet to unvote thing he got right too. I wasn't thinking about why I handled it like that at the time, and I wasn't worried about how it would look. It was just how I worked.

Ripley expressed general suspicion of Leet early, but remains "tunnel-visioned" on peapod/garnasha until he can misread one and disgustingly insinuate that Ergo and I are both scum. I thought Ripley was waiting for Garnasha to find some way to "apologize" for peapod's absence.

Ripley, you obviously have me and Ergo in mind, or else you wouldn't have interpreted my post that way. You definitely went up on my scale of panties in a bunch/overreaction.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #184 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:44 am

Post by Porochaz »

K, you asked so ll try and give my reason for why Ripley is not scum. (which arent very good...) 1. We have numerous others in the picture of scumminess. We have two scum in this game, so whilst Im not taking Ripley out of the picture it does seem unlikely. 2. I'm a bit of a mathematician, if were going to play it by odds then its unlikely that our two IC's are scum together, especially with there wee arguments they have now and then. Personally I think Erg0's scum, that why I have voted for him. 3. I don't believe that in 13 months, Ripley can become uber great at town being scum. Whilst experience is key how would we as noobs be any good if the IC's were infallable. 4. Whilst I'm not going to buy into it just yet, I can see where the Erg0/CS connection is coming from.

Hope thats good enough. A few questions have arisen about this one though me writing this though.

CS: Why ask other people for there opinions, wouldn't it be better and give you more informaton if you asked/grilled him a bit more? I mean I only answered your question because A. you asked it and if I didn't answer it someone else would have and B. my points I wouldn't have thought could be replicated that easily by Ripley and be turned into a defense.

Ripley:This is concerning my point no 3. I'm not sure you answered this and I dont really want to open a new window to check in case my internet screws up again so I cant check but what was your previous mafia experience before this?
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #185 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 2:29 am

Post by Garnasha »

oh dear, enough material to work with without going through the previous 8 pages. poro, on your points:
1. this is basically saying: we got 6 ppl who could be scum(not counting oneself), only two of them are, so I think it's unlikely this particular person is scum. Something feels very wrong about that. I could do that with everybody, and two out of six times I would be wrong.
2. ehm, the chance that ripley is scum if erg0 is scum is no bigger or smaller than the chance that it would be civil scum/you/me/zeek/leet. All those six chances are statistically one out of, surprise, six. This is a null argument you give.
3. wtf? you're just saying here that ripley would be better scum than you'd expect after 13 months? Got no direct arguments against, but I think a year is enough to fool any newbie.
4. Well? Where does it come from? Erg0 deffing CS earlier in the game? IF Erg0 is scum I think it is more likely CS is town than scum, and Erg0 was buddying up to him. If you even consider using this as an argument against someone else being scum you fell for it.
Ripley
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Ripley
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #186 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:49 am

Post by Ripley »

Civil Scum wrote:That was the most anti-Ergo post I've made.

Well, it didn't come across to me as anti-Erg0, though as you say it is possible to misread tone and intention.
Civil Scum wrote:And if no one can make any sort of case (Ergo did blow the random vote point out of proportion) then I'd like to label you town for now.
... but here I don't see how any reasonable person could get this meaning from what you actually said. You didn't say "I can't find any evidence against Ripley, and unless anyone else can, I'm going to rule him out for now." This would in itself be quite an odd thing to say. I mean, normally if you can't find anything suspicious about someone, you surely mentally label them "town, for now" and concentrate your efforts on the people you
do
find scummy. Without making an appeal for anybody else to make a case against the person. I've never seen that done before.

But what you actually said was: "
I'd like to hear any sort of case someone could make on Ripley
." Because you had "gotten this
general feeling
". Maybe your words were poorly chosen or not fully explained but it comes over quite definitely that you're hoping for someone else to give you something concrete to work with to back up your "general feeling".
Civil Scum wrote:I thought Ripley was waiting for Garnasha to find some way to "apologize" for peapod's absence.
I'm completely unable to see what this has to do with anything you said before. And it's quite a weird thing to say anyway. We're all of us waiting for stuff from Garnasha, but apologies and explanations for peapod's behavior would only mean anything from peapod, who is no longer with us.
Porochaz wrote:Ripley:This is concerning my point no 3. I'm not sure you answered this and I dont really want to open a new window to check in case my internet screws up again so I cant check but what was your previous mafia experience before this?
Sorry - not sure what you're asking... You mean before I started on this site? Or other games before this game? If the latter, there are lots, and you can easily find them using the Search page.
Garnasha wrote:oh dear, enough material to work with without going through the previous 8 pages.
Have you read those pages? It's really hard to tell from your posts what you've read and what you haven't - you started off with notes about posts up to early on page 3, and that dried up there, then in post 172 you say you'll make notes at the end of every page, and go back to page 1 again to do so, and again that approach seems to dry up there. As do all the approaches you announce, actually. Like "the rapid-firingposting suspicion cannon mode I'm planning to enter once I got the time. I will be asking everyone in turn about every little thing that I find illogical,". And what about this:
Garnasha wrote:prime suspects atm: leet/destructor for independent scumminess (I'll elaborate later), Erg0 for a link to CS or Zeet for a link with CS. I'll be more precise and look for more once I got more friggin time.
You never followed any of this up. Also, you stated in the quote above(Post 163) that leet/destructor is a prime suspect because of "independent scumminess", though shortly after in Post 179 you say:
Garnasha wrote:so if destructor did anything strange independant of leet's behaviour I'm going to suspect a mutual cause, ie. they are scum.
which surely says the exact opposite, ie that you
haven't
found anything independently scummy in destructor's behavior.

I just get the impression that Garnasha has put a lot of time into announcing his various intended approaches, together sometimes with reasons for the failure of the previous approach, and posting details of his RL schedule, commitments and state of tiredness, in preference to actually working on the game. A bit like a person who spends hours and hours drawing up a beautiful, color-coded revision schedule. And such little as he's had to say hasn't even been accurate (it was Erg0, not me, who used the words "a little panicky" to describe CS, that were quoted by Zeek).
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #187 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:22 am

Post by Porochaz »

Garnasha wrote:oh dear, enough material to work with without going through the previous 8 pages.
K I know your in more games than this one. However I myself am in 4 games just now, 1 of which had pages in the double figures by the first 24 hours and a second which I replaced into after 16/17 pages. I am however, keeping up quite easily especially with the one I replaced in. You can't expect us to stop to wait for you, because if you haven't noticed we tried that and you gave us a few aggresive posts and a summary of page 1.
Garnasha wrote:poro, on your points:
1. this is basically saying: we got 6 ppl who could be scum(not counting oneself), only two of them are, so I think it's unlikely this particular person is scum. Something feels very wrong about that. I could do that with everybody, and two out of six times I would be wrong.
Its saying weve got 6 ppl who could be scum(not counting oneself) only two of them are, so having made notes and looking back on the last 8 pages I don't see much to convince me Ripley is scum. Simply put, Im not voting for him because I think others are more likely to be scum.
Garnasha wrote:2. ehm, the chance that ripley is scum if erg0 is scum is no bigger or smaller than the chance that it would be civil scum/you/me/zeek/leet. All those six chances are statistically one out of, surprise, six. This is a null argument you give.
Yes, it's totally at random. But if you put 5 blue sweets and 2 red sweets in a bag and ask the seven of us to pull out a sweet without looking how likely is it our two IC's are going to both pick the red sweets?
Garn wrote: 3. wtf? you're just saying here that ripley would be better scum than you'd expect after 13 months? Got no direct arguments against, but I think a year is enough to fool any newbie.
Sorry I said this wrong I meant scum being town. I think experience has a part to play in this game but doesn't cover you from being caught out as scum. I haven't seen anything to suggest Ripley is scum beyond Civil who I spent most of my first few pages attacking and Erg0 who I have my vote on currently. Now this doesn't automatically mean I don't listen to there opinions, it just means that I take them with a pinch of salt and try to decide do there words benifit the town?
Garn wrote: 4. Well? Where does it come from? Erg0 deffing CS earlier in the game? IF Erg0 is scum I think it is more likely CS is town than scum, and Erg0 was buddying up to him. If you even consider using this as an argument against someone else being scum you fell for it.
Well, again,
chaz wrote: I haven't seen anything to suggest Ripley is scum beyond Civil who I spent most of my first few pages attacking and Erg0 who I have my vote on currently.
so I personally think it isn't to much of a stretch to see them two scum together, there relationship within the game is certainly an interesting one and yes I am considering it but as you'll have read I am not buying into that theory yet. Its just one of the possible outcomes.

Riply: I meant before you started on MS.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #188 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:37 pm

Post by Erg0 »

Ripley: "Genuine" might not have conveyed the meaning of what I was trying to say. I mean that you've asked lots of questions and talked about how others' actions are scummy, but you've left your vote on a player who is essentially a lurker all the way through. Lurking is bad and all, but the implication of you're actions is that peapod/Garnasha's lurking is scummier than anything that anybody else has done.

Yes, the validity of this scumtell is based almost entirely on personal experience, but then all the best scumtells are like that. Scum tend to play more tentatively, whether they intend to or not. I'm not really trying to build a case, this was just something that destructor's analysis brought to my attention, and it was worth noting. I can't see that I have anything to lose by putting everything out there at this point.
Zeek wrote:Also, the bolded part: Complete WIFOM. Scum still knowingly do things that bring suspicion onto them and then hope that no one notices what it is they really did. If people get a free pass for doing things that "they know are suspicious" we'll never catch scum in this game.
Everything is WIFOM. There are degrees of WIFOM though, and that's what you need to think about here. I would not normally ever raise a point like this regarding my own actions, but it was pretty clear that nobody was thinking about it.
Zeek wrote:I felt my logic was fine, as I pointed about right above this quote. However, BOTH erg0 and CS said that they thought it was poor logic. So, I noticed that you had also voted for erg0 and your vote was pretty much based on my logic, which at least 2 other players considered bad...
This is actually an interesting point, as voting a player based on someone else's bad case is apparently a very reliable scumtell (though one I haven't really tested myself).
CS wrote:Try and read my post with this in mind (if u want)->That I don't like the way Ergo brought that up (somewhat weakly) and says it's something he's seen from scum before. Just like Post 112 wherein he lists several things Leet had done which Ergo says he had seen from newb-scum beofre. This was of course his post re-voting Leet/Destructor "...to keep things moving at least a little bit while we wait." Right after he unvoted Leet while the replacement came in.
I actually unvoted
Zeek
in 102, and said that I would vote leet if he wasn't being replaced. After giving it a couple of days I decided not to wait any longer.

I was getting the feeling for a while there that CS was setting himself up to jump on my wagon, but he seems to have come back around in 183. He's confusing me greatly at this point.
Porochaz wrote:1. We have numerous others in the picture of scumminess. We have two scum in this game, so whilst Im not taking Ripley out of the picture it does seem unlikely. 2. I'm a bit of a mathematician, if were going to play it by odds then its unlikely that our two IC's are scum together, especially with there wee arguments they have now and then. Personally I think Erg0's scum, that why I have voted for him. 3. I don't believe that in 13 months, Ripley can become uber great at town being scum. Whilst experience is key how would we as noobs be any good if the IC's were infallable. 4. Whilst I'm not going to buy into it just yet, I can see where the Erg0/CS connection is coming from.
I don't really like this post.
1. Relativism. Just because you find four other people scummy, that doesn't mean you should ignore the other two.
2. Ripley and I have the same mathematical chance of being a scum pair as any two players. Our IC status is irrelevant, I'm as likely to be scum with Ripley as I am to be scum with CS, or anyone else for that matter.
3. It's not
that
hard to play scum in a newbie game. 13 months is plenty of experience to become good at playing as scum on day 1.
4. Awaiting your expansion of this point.

I think that's it for now. As time allows I'm going to start being a little more proactive, as I seem to have a lot to respond to each time I log on right now.
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #189 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:19 pm

Post by Porochaz »

1. Relativism. Just because you find four other people scummy, that doesn't mean you should ignore the other two.

I made a post above with this point explained, Im not ignoring anyone. And I never said any numbers to the people who I think are scum or not.

2. Ripley and I have the same mathematical chance of being a scum pair as any two players. Our IC status is irrelevant, I'm as likely to be scum with Ripley as I am to be scum with CS, or anyone else for that matter.

Agreed, we all have a 2 in 7 chance of being scum here. I just don't think you two are scum together and lets face it, I have had my vote on you a while now without changing it so Im more likely to think Ripley is more scum than you are

3. It's not that hard to play scum in a newbie game. 13 months is plenty of experience to become good at playing as scum on day 1.

K well that may be true, my lack of experience here made me think that some may make a mistake.

4. Awaiting your expansion of this point.

Hmmm, I don't really see the need considering Im just highlighting it as one of the possible outcomes, but put simply and quickly: you defend him slightly which could be described as scum buddying up with a townie (as Ripley said) then as soon as someone says that CS starts distancing himself away from you in Post 62.
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #190 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:27 pm

Post by Erg0 »

All you really have to do on day 1 of a newbie game is stay out of the way and wait for a townie to do something scummy. There are usually more than enough mistakes by other players to allow you to readily get a townie lynched. It's days 2 and 3, where you have to deal with power roles and connections from day 1, where it becomes more difficult.

Sorry, didn't make it clear that point 1 was a hypothetical.

You are correct that CS has been very up and down with relation to me, even going from semi-accusing me to defending me on this page. I'll show that I've learned my lesson about guessing at motives and ask him for a summary of his thinking on me right now.
V/LA most weekends.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #191 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Post by Porochaz »

K thats weird, I started typing up my post and it directed me to the last post I made... anyway, I am interested in where CS stands with you currently.

Mod can we have a vote count
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #192 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:18 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

Ergo wrote: I actually unvoted Zeek in 102, and said that I would vote leet if he wasn't being replaced. After giving it a couple of days I decided not to wait any longer.
True

I'm not about to put Ergo at L-1. But I don't get why he has now removed his vote for leet, while being apparently suspicious of Poro and Ripley. Becuase he doesn't seem to have a case against either.
unvote
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #193 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Post by Erg0 »

My vote on leet was based on leet's actions. destructor (eventually) satisfied me that he was acting in a pro-town manner, hence my unvote. I'm just probing at the moment, prior to deciding where my vote is best placed.

A quick note: if you expect everyone to always give a detailed case before voting, you're in for a great deal of disappointment in the future. There are quite a few players on this site that deliberately don't state cases most of the time. Finding the balance on that issue is one of the key things that will help you to develop your playstyle.
V/LA most weekends.
pablito
pablito
Mafia Scum
pablito
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #194 (ISO) » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:10 pm

Post by pablito »

Vote Count

Erg0 (2): ZeekLTK, Porochaz
Garnasha (1): Ripley

Not Voting: Garnasha, destructor, Erg0, Civil Scum

With 7 alive, it takes 4 to lynch!

Possible deadline coming up if posting pace drops back down, although recently there's been a nice flurry of posts.
Sup, later.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #195 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:20 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

Ergo wrote: My vote on leet was based on leet's actions. destructor (eventually) satisfied me that he was acting in a pro-town manner, hence my unvote. I'm just probing at the moment, prior to deciding where my vote is best placed.
Destructor has made two main posts (albeit excellent ones) which do a very good job of exploring what has gone on so far. I am unsure as to why you call this acting in a pro-town manner. Just about anyone (& obviously destructor is a bit seasoned) who replaces like this goes with a PBPA. I just see this as something he would have had to have done, especially coming in under fire. If he had come in as scum, he wouldn't have posted along similar lines.
Ergo wrote: A quick note: if you expect everyone to always give a detailed case before voting, you're in for a great deal of disappointment in the future. There are quite a few players on this site that deliberately don't state cases most of the time. Finding the balance on that issue is one of the key things that will help you to develop your playstyle.
Okay, but uh at this point I don't see how you can expect to convince anyone to go along with you if you don 't make a case at all. Are others supposed to just take your word for it and trust your experience/instinct? This unvote and vaguely signaling your suspicion of Ripley make it appear as if you believe Ripley's leaving his random vote on our lurker is the scummiest thing anyone has done.

Really, I think Ergo would have been mistaken as scum to explain my odd behavior in the on the first page. Maybe he did err. Maybe (since the defense was incidental) he didn't expect his actions would do so much to direct the focus off of me.

I got the general sense from Ripley's behavior that his stance on me was town. He kind of misread a post of mine and flipped out. It's almost as if he wanted to take the first whack at a nail in my head, and then step out (less posting) while someone else drives it through. This would be consistent with his play so far.

I'm tempted to vote garnasha "to keep things moving while we wait" but that would be ridiculous.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #196 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

EBWOP:

If he had come in as scum, he wouldn't have posted along similar lines? (rhetorical)
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #197 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:07 pm

Post by Erg0 »

It wasn't destructor's PbP that made me unvote him. In fact, you may recall that I said it made me happy with my earlier vote for him. It was his subsequent response to my deconstruction of the PbP that led to believe that he had valid (to him) reasons for his conclusions, hence my unvote.

I'm not necessarily trying to convince other people at this point. I'd prefer to be more sure of my own suspicions before I try to carry anyone along with me.
V/LA most weekends.
Civil Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Civil Scum
He/Him
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #198 (ISO) » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:13 pm

Post by Civil Scum »

well, couldn't sleep so great so this is what u get. Ihope Garnasha compains about the wall. In retrospect this may be my last game here on Mafiascum although I think it's great. But I had no idea it can become so time-consuming.

And I might as well go out trying to take down an IC. Here comes my slingshot...
peapod wrote: But anyway...Civil Scum, why do you seem worried about having two votes on you? You're pretty safe, as Porochaz said. Unless you're actually scum and you think we're already on your trail?
This first part she is echoing Porochaz's post saying that L-2 this early is not all that dangerous becuase of how bad two quick votes will look. She seems to understand that a quick-mafia lynch push is a very risky move for scum.
peapod wrote: L-1 should be avoided in early game because L-1 possibly = an early lynch = little information = disadvantageous for the town.

Unvote for now because I don't see any point in keeping it there.

Will be back later with something more meaningful, 'cause I'm not feeling too hot right now.
Few posts later, she seems to not understand the point. But claims that what she is doing/going to do is in the town's best interest. And garnasha is also posting excuses and interesting threats.

The first game I played, a relatively seasoned player did the whole fencing "on the wall" someone called it, uncertain game the whole time and largely escaped suspicion until Day-2 when the "straw-man" argument that that's what he had been doing to avoid recieving attention surfaced hours before the deadline. He got lynched on this general feeling and was scum. Not to rely on past experience here (As I said I'd like not to) but I can see some validity to the point that not all cases need to be constructed with evidence when the basic aim of scum is to not create a trail.
(In live games, a person could be hard pressed by several people at once about why they weren't voting or why they remained consistently on one person's case, and they can't go in the bathroom for two days)
It is quite reasonable that an IC scum can avoid all suspicion D-1 simply by playing it safe and acting/reasoning rationally without making any of the mistakes that draw attention in newbie games.

In Post 30, Ripley's response to leet is interesting. A Pre-empting the game he intends to play.
Ripley wrote: Porochaz: you said on page 1 you were "sure" Civil Scum was scum. This seems remarkably early to reach such a decision. Has your opinion wavered at all?
A good question. He doesn't follow this up at all though, or delve any deeper. Perhaps cause Porochaz's conviction wavered in about 10 posts. As I said earlier though, I believe this looks town coming from Porochaz.
Ripley wrote: This strikes me as a really strange remark by CS. (refering to my comment about panicky noob/corneered scum, I don't see how this is evidence) He seems to be saying "You can't tell whether I'm a worried scum or a panicky newb, so that's an end to it; move along, please." What, exactly, do you expect in the way of evidence on Day 1? Nobody except the scum knows anything beyond their own role. It's basically guesswork, guesswork that's as intelligent as possible, based on what we can figure out from people's posts. The posts are the evidence. We have to interpret it as best we can. If we discarded everything that couldn't be proved, we might as well give up.
Later, Ripley says something to the effect that my early foul-ups were simply unfortunate distractions that didn't produce any results.
ripley wrote: I think CS caused unnecessary confusion by describing his vote on leetonicon as "obligatory" without at the time explaining what he meant by that. I don't blame Zeet for misunderstanding. I don't think this issue is going to be helpful towards finding scum. It was just a distraction.
Except this is where a lot of the suspicions about Ergo are arising, someone Ripley has on and off attacked without switching his vote or FOS'ing. Which is quite odd becuase Ergo might be the only person Ripley hasn't tried to link with Peapod. I take that back->He does (for the echoing) but goes along with the idea that it says more about Peapod than Ergo. The strangest behavior arising from Peapod->yet the weakest scummy-link Ripley assigns to it. An un-involved/weak/distanced attack? No not from Ripley.
Ripley wrote: I agree that if CS's concern was, specifically, that he didn't want to be on two votes, there was no logical reason to address one voter in particular. An unvote from either of them would have been just as good. Obviously people often don't behave in a perfectly logical fashion even when they're town, but I think it was a worthwhile observation by Zeek.

Erg0 wrote:
CS's phrasing was half-joking (he referred to Porochaz's random reasoning regarding his civility) and his OMGUS vote was on the first voter, not the second. It's not like he didn't mention leetonicon at all in the post.

Yes, but he subsequently told us the vote on leetonicon was an automatic vote arising from a self-imposed obligation, which makes it pretty much meaningless. (How far does this obligation go? Suppose somebody had stuck a third vote on immediately after Porochaz's, accompanied by another witty crack about Civil Scum's civilly scummy name. Would CS have stuck to his rule and OMGUS voted the first voter rather than the third?)
The subtext I find in the first part of this post is, I am not willing to find this scummy and am keeping distant. ->even when they're town. He points out that it's an interesting and good observation from Zeek->which it was.

This last part (as Ergo mentioned) is not very useful. In fact there was little point to this post besides seeing if somone else will run with my case while RIpley plays outfield.

It's after I mention Ripley and Peapod as lurkers (wrong on Ripley admittedly)
that Ripley goes on his own little crusade. He first and foremost uses it to implicate me in a scheme I apparently concocted to goad Peapod into action without singling her out. The later connections with which he tries to implicate everyone's dealings with Peapod are notable.

In response to some questions peapod asked about why my behavior was "SCUMMY"
Ripley wrote: Any kind of behavior that seems unnatural, illogical, perplexing, inconsistent or just slightly odd is always worth noting, as is behavior that seems nervy or an over-reaction. You can't always neatly summarise such an observation with a precise account of what the person stood to gain from this behavior if they were scum. Scum don't by any means always behave rationally, especially if they're a bit nervous. Lots of these leads eventually lead nowhere; it doesn't mean they weren't worth pointing out.
An aside-in favor of my townieness->What could I possibly have gained from my whacked-out behavior on page 1?
Nervous behavior is particularly interesting, because although nobody likes to be in danger of getting lynched, and it's possible that a new player might get nervous on two votes, scum are basically more nervous than townies to start with. That's the effect of a guilty conscience.
Alright, slight hint at portraying my behavior as scummy

peapod wrote:
I really have nothing significant to add to the CS conversation because the issues have already been throughly explored. Over-explored, if you ask me.

Can you suggest something you think we'd have done better to explore?

Civil Scum wrote:
I'm admittedly glad that Ergo is sticking up for me so readily, I doubt a scum would come to my aid in explaining what I have tried to. It is coordinated, but for me this makes me lean town in his direction.

Scum buddying up to a townie is the oldest trick in the book. If you're town, you can see by your own reaction here how well it has worked. Erg0 has gained your support, which will be valuable if you survive. If you don't survive he looks good for sticking his neck out to support a townie who was under pressure. I'm not saying Erg0 is scum; he could perfectly well be genuine. But you should be aware of the dangers of assuming anyone is town for this reason.
I go on to explain why I felt it was bad decision making on Ergo's part to do this right then (an explaination which Ripley did little to explore, before "well you never let me down...etc etc)
Early in the post, Ripley startes off with a kind of shy/coy insinuation about how OTHER LESS EXPERIENCED PLAYERS COULD EASILY BE VIEWING MY BEHAVIOR.
Yet, it's the wording at the end that is a little strage, and from this point on Ripley definitely seems like he's leaning towards townie for me. Post 92 especially, his observations about leet/porochaz and Ergo in this post and elsewhere all stem from an assumption of my innocence.

Post 103
Ripley wrote: Erg0 wrote:
Also, I have a question for anyone that cares to answer it: Is it scummy to ask the second voter to unvote you but not the first? If so, why?

You're just going over old ground here. peapod already covered this in post 60:

peapod wrote:
So why is the OMGUS vote scummy?
So why is asking someone to unvote twice scummy?
So why is his ignoring leet scummy?

I replied to that:

Ripley wrote:
Any kind of behavior that seems unnatural, illogical, perplexing, inconsistent or just slightly odd is always worth noting, as is behavior that seems nervy or an over-reaction. You can't always neatly summarise such an observation with a precise account of what the person stood to gain from this behavior if they were scum. Scum don't by any means always behave rationally, especially if they're a bit nervous. Lots of these leads eventually lead nowhere; it doesn't mean they weren't worth pointing out.

Do you disagree with this? And why are you bringing this up again now - is it just because destructor mentions it in his summary? You've already complained that this point has received too much attention, and really you set that in motion yourself with post 38.

Also, this is a second example of peapod and Erg0 saying very similar things (the first was noted by destructor in post 118) - despite peapod having at this stage posted more excuses than content.

Civil Scum wrote:
With destructor leaning slightly in Ergo's direction (who is currently at L-2) and Ripley being suspicious of destructor (L-2), we appear to have two non-incestuous BW's.

Ah, incest rearing its ugly head again. Actually your unvote reduced destructor to a single vote, and Erg0 is voting destructor which, as I understood it at least, is incestuous, and I was quite suspicious of both leet and Erg0, though slightly less so now of destructor.
Quite suspicious of both leet and Ergo...yet voting for peapod until she stops lurking. Suddenly Ripley saying that leaving his random vote was not random, and that he has been concerned with peapod's civility this entire time, rings very hollow indeed.
Ripley wrote: Whether peapod thought she had requested replacement or not, she clearly said on Thursday that she intended to play on. She said she would "do my best to be an active member." which sounds despressingly half-hearted. Still waiting for some content from you, peapod.
Again, quite hollow.

From this point on he tends to attack garnasha for his play-style/or lack thereof.

Post 17-> Cs seems more unsettled than he should be.
Post 30-> Says again I'm panicky, questions Porochaz about being sure (an odd thing to say which I originally pointed out)
Post 41-> Says I am behaving very strangely, but wont commit to it being too scummy, perhaps letting others run with it and suggesting that it is probably not worth a vote. He probably knows I'm town, from where I'm sitting, and likely does not expect the wagon to get me and his intention from that view is obviously never to vote me or attack me directly.
Post 56->Links peapod and me, drops it, comes back to it later when I mention it (quite defensively I might add)
Post 61 ->My behavior COULD be over-nervousness caused by my being scum and having a guilty concience.
Post 73 ->Links Poro-Peapod
Post 92->Agrees GENERALLY with my points on Leet (but doesn't do anthing about it), begins distanced/uninvolved probing of Ergo
Post 130-> Was suspiciouds of Leet & Ergo, less os of destructor
Post 139 -> Expands on a point of destructors which makes Ergo look bad. He does a lot here (and elsewhere) to cast suspicion and damage people's credibility, but never exactly takes the reings.
Post 167 -> Complains about Garnasha's complaints (strawmanning anyone?) yet primarily quotes Ergo and me.
Post 175-> focuses again largely on Ergo and continues straw-manning Garnasha
Post 181 -> I find it highly interesting that Ripley's response to my "gut-feeling" post was one so full of fervor. His response to my feeling post was entirely one which appealed to feeling. Humorous, derisive...all feel.
Post 186 -> Back-steps on his shotgun-blast (as expected) but doesn't back all the way up.

So, Garnasha and Ripley stand out to me as a distinct possibility. I wonder if anyone will agree that the most blatant instance(s) of distancing have involved Ripley and our resident lurker. It's been nothing but wily distancing and an oddly kept vote, it does seem odd to me now as do lot's of Ripleys dealings with peapod/garnasha amidst such other commotions.

Or Ripley and leet. Ripley had done little to pursue leet, and was even the one to shed his cleansing light. Although the motivation behind Leet letting us all know that the unvote was simultaneous has yet to be explained reasonably.

Ripley defended leet's behavior after the fact/after the HEAT! Doesn't defend him prolly cause Leet did look kind of bad and Ripley wasn't going to stick his neck out for him when he gets hung and turns up scum. But now destructor sits town with Ripley, and he is more than happy to use destructors points to incessantly drill Ergo, while keeping his vote on Garnasha.

I'll probably go on to vote Ripley sometime in the near future, and the second of the two above scenarios seems much more plausible.
Garnasha
Garnasha
Goon
Garnasha
Goon
Goon

Post Post #199 (ISO) » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:10 am

Post by Garnasha »

Ehm, CS, why didn't you vote him now? If you think he is that suspicious and he has no votes on him....

I'm not lurking any more than Zeek, but I did make promises I now learn were a bit too much to keep. I'm still trying, and occasionally I'll ask someone about what they meant somewhere, but I'll focus most of my attention on what people wrote after I came in, otherwise I'll have to catch up there after I caught up on what ppl wrote previously.

Poro posted something very strange, I responded, and after that Ripley felt the need to put my analysis in other words, naming the things that I pointed out by their proper names, but not really adding something. Why say it then? Making an analysis you know to be pro-town because a townie made a very similar analysis? That's what I noticed scum did in mafia 479.

Ohw and somebody said something about similar wording and sentiment about Erg0's and peapod's reaction to the CS/poro discussion. The sentiment was similar, but the wording wasn't. I'm a lot better at digging through old stuff if I know what I'm looking for*grabs a shovel*. Time to go search for a bit of twisting.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”