curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #300 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:24 am

Post by curiouskarmadog »

TrustGossip wrote:
Your only vote of any merit was the one on Jive Machine, and that was only after three other people had already leveled good arguments and voted him already. You cannot escape inquisition by dismissing everything I say as bullshit.

<3
sorry for the triple post, but bull shit tends to piss me off.

another question TG, are you saying that my vote on Jive was a BW? So then what is(was) my vote on armix?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #301 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:37 am

Post by PookyTheMagicalBear »

One) What exactly do your %'s mean?

2) What makes you conclude I have made no effort at scum hunting?

3) What makes you conclude that scumhunting has to be done a certain way?

4) Does the amount of scumhunting present a definitive corrolation towards the probability of being scum? what has led you to conclude this? where is the evidence?
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #302 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:40 am

And I do believe I have asked questions.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

"I can't even look at the game anymore.
That evil teddy bear has got everyone twirling by his thumb.
It's like witnessing an slow but unavoidable train crash you can't stop."

-Norwee
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #303 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:49 am

Post by Adel »

Adel wrote:Erg0 - what kind of a meta read do you have on Jive Machine?
also, why are you so active on mafiascum.net outside of this thread?
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #304 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:53 am

Hmm I can't believe I glossed over that first line about what the % system means.

I feel more strongly now about Volk being scum.

IMO town tries often to find the mafia by figuring out A) who is likely to be mafia and B) Who is not likely to be mafia.

Volk's list has a decidedly mafia-side tilt in that he is more suspiciious of us than who he is not suspicious of.

To be fair to him, he does preface his ranking with a comment in his lack of belief in "townie tells" and general paranoia is fine in a mafia game but I certainly find things troubling in that

one) mafia hate saying things like I believe X is innocent because then they can't bus X, mafia is more comfortable with making it so that everybody is suspicious so they can pick and choose which one to bus. By choosing to focus on bumping people above 50% to make them alll look moderately suspicious, Volk does a fairly poor job of finding out who is more likely to be town, and let's face it most of us are town.

I find it interesting that volkan belives that scumtells exist but has a tougher time accepting "town tells" I would like to know why.

2) Volkan's list only includes the 5 people he can vote for, if he did do a full reread, why would he not also post his thoughts on the candidates on his side as well? If he is intent on hunting scum, shouldn't he give us a fair assessment of the candidates on his side of the aisle in order to aid our efforts in hunting scum?

Sure he does not have a vote but we can certainly hear his voice. I think the reason he did not review the activities of the people on his side is because he believes TJM to be head first in the noose and completely hopeless and that he doesn't necesarily need to guide us to a lynch because by saying anything further he either jeopardizes his cover or he makes TJM look like a less attractive lynch.

If that were not true, I do not see why he would not also post his conclusions on the remaining half of the game.
Show
"I hope one day I can openly play as wolfy as Pooky and get zero pressure for it grumble grumble."
-MariaR

-Norwee
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #305 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:00 am

Post by vollkan »

Pooky wrote: One) What exactly do your %'s mean?
As I said, each person starts at 50%. Behaviour that is scummy moves that upwards, towards 100%. Behaviour that is a town-tell moves that downwards towards 0%. Nulltells have no effect.
Pooky wrote: 2) What makes you conclude I have made no effort at scum hunting?
A serious lack of targeted questions or reasoned attacks.
Pooky wrote: 3) What makes you conclude that scumhunting has to be done a certain way?
Nothing; I don't make that conclusion.

Each to her own and all that. However, if someone's play strikes me as pointless, then it is akin to active lurking unless and until they are able to justify it to me.
Pooky wrote: 4) Does the amount of scumhunting present a definitive corrolation towards the probability of being scum? what has led you to conclude this? where is the evidence?
No statistical evidence.

Scum have more of a motivation than town to go with the flow and to avoid exposing themselves by posting in-depth reasoning. Thus, by hounding and pressuing players who behave in such a way I hope to force them to respond and play in such a way that they actually add something valuable to the discussion (even if only to lash out at me; it still sparks argument).
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #306 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:10 am

Post by Adel »

Ever hear of a mislynch? I know you have. In my experience, the best way to ensure a mislynch, especially early in a game, is to pressure an inexperienced player until they make a mistake. They pretty much lynch themselves at that point. Since I am feeling that Jive machine is more likely town than scum at this point, that leaves me with the conclusion that you are scummier than Pooky. I hope I don't offend Pooky by this, but I think that our playstyles have some aspects in common, or at least enough for me to understand that Pooky behavior is more of a null-tell than a scum-tell, especially this early in a game.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #307 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:13 am

Post by vollkan »

Cross-posted.
Pooky wrote: one) mafia hate saying things like I believe X is innocent because then they can't bus X, mafia is more comfortable with making it so that everybody is suspicious so they can pick and choose which one to bus. By choosing to focus on bumping people above 50% to make them alll look moderately suspicious, Volk does a fairly poor job of finding out who is more likely to be town, and let's face it most of us are town.

I find it interesting that volkan belives that scumtells exist but has a tougher time accepting "town tells" I would like to know why.
You can meta-check me on this. I rarely put people below 50%. They either have to claim, or have done things that I cannot, with reasonable doubt, conceive of as possibly coming from scum.

It's very easy for scum to bus/play tricks that make them seem protown, so I am always paranoid.
Pooky wrote: 2) Volkan's list only includes the 5 people he can vote for, if he did do a full reread, why would he not also post his thoughts on the candidates on his side as well? If he is intent on hunting scum, shouldn't he give us a fair assessment of the candidates on his side of the aisle in order to aid our efforts in hunting scum?

Sure he does not have a vote but we can certainly hear his voice. I think the reason he did not review the activities of the people on his side is because he believes TJM to be head first in the noose and completely hopeless and that he doesn't necesarily need to guide us to a lynch because by saying anything further he either jeopardizes his cover or he makes TJM look like a less attractive lynch.

If that were not true, I do not see why he would not also post his conclusions on the remaining half of the game.
There is no reason why NLU was excluded from the analysis - other than that the analysis was of the LU players.

I'll post an analysis of NLU tomorrow.
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #308 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:09 am

In my opinion, a townie is as likely to crack under pressure as a scumbag and start tripping all over himself. It's pretty stressful to be playing in a game with the constant threat of death by mob lynch hanging over your head.

So what I see often is that the newbies or the weaker players will crack, the stronger players or more experienced players will give a calm collected answer, but mostly the responses to sharp questioning is often independent of alignment.

Which does make me question the use of them early in the game except as a means to persuade the rest of the town into voting a certain way.

This is why I do not believe in launching sharp attacks in certain day ones.

Why do you expect pointed questioning to get results?

I think there is a certain effect to having a pointed questioning/reasoned attack prematurely, it does lift the light off others players and put less pressure on them to find their own suspects, I've realized that oftentimes a discussion dominated by a single interrogator or other can lock others outside of the discussion and allow more crafty scum to quietly agree their way in.

I don't think a meta-check warrants much.

for example, let's say Dean lurks in every game, would that reduce his lurking in this game to a null tell for you and cause you to drop him back to 50%? I'd think you'd rather keep the pressure on him to get him to say more, possibly because saying more would help reveal more of his character or what the heck he believes.

The same is true for me in regards to you, though you don't say who you think are more likely to be town, I would want you to say so because it does help me figure out what you are.

Generally I believe people who come up with numbering systems that try to quantify the suspicion they have for people to be fairly suspicious. I have no doubt that you might do this numbering thing in every game or put scary numbers next to people's names to inflate suspicion and give your opinion more of a scientific weight. But I do find such quantification to be fairly poor logic because of the connective nature of mafia and also because the number doesnt really mean anything, how much more suspicious is a person of score 200 than score 300? Is it more or less than the jump between 80 and a hundred? what type of scoring scale are you going for?
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #309 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:19 am

pooky, every game I have been in with vollkan he does it...what does that mean?

I have been known to do it, but have not done it here yet..what does that mean?
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #310 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:20 am

does what? can you be specific.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #311 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:28 am

vollkan does the % thing every game...what does that tell you about his scumminess in this game?

I have been known to assign numbers (which I explain) when I do a PbP in game, but havent done so this game...what does that tell you about my scumminess?

the only thing that is different this time, is that vollkan is not doing the group, just the people he can vote for. In this regard, I agree with pooky, you should do one on your team as well. For pook's "team" has to vote as well (noted you said you would do it).
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #312 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:36 am

I've already addressed what I feel about Vollkan using numbering in this game even if he uses it in all games and I've even addressed why I would attack him for it even if he were to behave this way in all games regardless of what implications it may or may not have for his scumminess in this game.

If Vollkan does the % thing in every game previous to this one and then does the % thing in this game then it would show the Vollkan is keeping his behaviour in line with previous behaviour, he is not trying anything new, he is trying the same old stuff in order to stay in character.

That suggests that he is more wary of trying something new in order to play his cards tight to his chest and is following the standard "Make up bullshit numbers, say stuff that everyone can see, attack vigorously the weak players that you can get lynched because they can't defend themselves" formula that I would expect VolkScum to be using.

Or he could just really like the way he plays and be determined to do that same thing over and over again.

But I do think he's a rather interesting chap and I do find his numbers to feel artificial in a way that makes me think that he is coming up with them not because they are an accurate indication of likelihood to be scum but in order to appease the populace to show them that he is working hard on "scumhunting"
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #313 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:40 am

Oh and as to your question about what you not doing that shows for me, well reading over your posts so far this game, it shows me that either you feel you don't know enough to come up with accurate numbers or useful numbers.

Or you are just lazy and browsing the thread and not putting that much effort in because you think there's no real way to catch the scum on day one through intense analysis(something most of the site does agree with) and you've decided to take it easy since you're under no real pressure and just ski by.

So basically you are just making offhanded remarks here while skating by on the down-low.

I might consider lynching you but I haven't ever lynched Volky and he seems to be a lot more fun to tangle with because he responds in such wonderful prose when attacked.
Show
-MariaR

-Norwee
TrustGossip
TrustGossip
Goon
TrustGossip
Goon
Goon

Post Post #314 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:15 am

Post by TrustGossip »

I hope people do not take offense to this, but I am completely swooning over Pooky and Adel. There's a reason why Adel is crystalline logic and Pooky just came through with the resolution of an after-school special. I am held under their sway not because of charisma, but by the involiable stuff of credibility. They make complete and perfect sense and are actually playing the game.

A note to curious: I tend to respond stronger than intended when I find cussing in my general direction. It is a simple matter of reciprocation. My vote to you probably comes off harsher than it seems as I tend to put a lot of weight on my voting, but given the current situation it is the only choice other than unvoting. And voting you gives more information than not voting you.

Instead of attacking my argument and OMGUSing my credibility, you could perhaps give your opinions on everyone else in the game? Does that seem unreasonable?
Compcrack

Basically crack.
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #315 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:17 pm

PookyTheMagicalBear wrote:
So basically you are just making offhanded remarks here while skating by on the down-low.

I might consider lynching you but I haven't ever lynched Volky and he seems to be a lot more fun to tangle with because he responds in such wonderful prose when attacked.
ah, so you want to lynch someone who you claim posts more versus someone who as you say is skating by and not posting...so you are condemning we for not providing content, but at the same time want to lynch someone who is..I am confused.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
curiouskarmadog
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
curiouskarmadog
This Space for Rant
This Space for Rant

Post Post #316 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:19 pm

TrustGossip wrote:
Instead of attacking my argument and OMGUSing my credibility, you could perhaps give your opinions on everyone else in the game? Does that seem unreasonable?
this is quite reasonable...hopefully will have time tomorrow to fill this request.
NO YOU'RE OVER DEFENSIVE
armlx
armlx
Most JDTay-like
armlx
Most JDTay-like
Most JDTay-like

Post Post #317 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:59 pm

Post by armlx »

CDK's reaction to the vote from TG definitely warrants some noting.

Also, on the no content thing: You can't read people who dont post, but it's easy to ID scummy behavior in those who do.

Screw meta-reads too. I remember from a bit before I left when Fritz/BabyJ did whatever the hell they wanted and people didnt care. When they were scum, they died most often from another scum group killing them. Very awkward scenarios ensue when you assume behavior is normal for someone.
Away Wednesday the 24th through the 31st
PookyTheMagicalBear
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
PookyTheMagicalBear
Pooky got your back
Pooky got your back

Post Post #318 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:13 pm

Yes CKD

though you are skating by without saying anythiing, I am upset with you and that is why I want you to actually put some effort into this game.

However I am not going to ignore what I believe is scummy behaviour on the part of Vollkan just because there are some slackers in the game.

My beliefs right now are wholly consistent.
vollkan
vollkan
The Interrogator
vollkan
The Interrogator
The Interrogator

Post Post #319 (ISO) » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:53 pm

Post by vollkan »

Adel wrote: Ever hear of a mislynch? I know you have. In my experience, the best way to ensure a mislynch, especially early in a game, is to pressure an inexperienced player until they make a mistake. They pretty much lynch themselves at that point. Since I am feeling that Jive machine is more likely town than scum at this point, that leaves me with the conclusion that you are scummier than Pooky. I hope I don't offend Pooky by this, but I think that our playstyles have some aspects in common, or at least enough for me to understand that Pooky behavior is more of a null-tell than a scum-tell, especially this early in a game.
I assume this is directed to me.

I play by argument more than anything else, and I am aware of the need for caution in arguing with the inexperienced. TJM's responses were contradictory, and that's scummy no matter who it comes from. I didn't vote him for his deflection to CKD , since I knew that might be attributable to inexperience, but he crossed the threshold when he started making contradictory comments about his priorities in his actions towards Pooky.

Adel, I've played with you before (mini 488) and I know that your playstyle can be eccentric - but I can usually see its direction. I haven't played before with Pooky before and I couldn't see the point of his play - it jumped out to me as making no contribution, escalating suspicion (particularly re: shafted) and basically as a form of active lurking.
Pooky wrote: Why do you expect pointed questioning to get results?

I think there is a certain effect to having a pointed questioning/reasoned attack prematurely, it does lift the light off others players and put less pressure on them to find their own suspects, I've realized that oftentimes a discussion dominated by a single interrogator or other can lock others outside of the discussion and allow more crafty scum to quietly agree their way in.
That isn't my experience, but I respect that it might be yours (and that you might well be correct).

I don't like to see games degenerate into a 1 on 1 argument. The reason I like questions and arguments is that it usually provides insight into how people play the game and forces well-reasoned discussion - in that it provides an environment most difficult for scum to hide in.
Pooky wrote: Generally I believe people who come up with numbering systems that try to quantify the suspicion they have for people to be fairly suspicious. I have no doubt that you might do this numbering thing in every game or put scary numbers next to people's names to inflate suspicion and give your opinion more of a scientific weight. But I do find such quantification to be fairly poor logic because of the connective nature of mafia and also because the number doesnt really mean anything, how much more suspicious is a person of score 200 than score 300? Is it more or less than the jump between 80 and a hundred? what type of scoring scale are you going for?
My initial reason for coming up with it let me show my relative suspicions of people, rather than ambiguous things like "X is my main suspect", "I suspect X more than Y" or "X seems pro-town".

Also, it serves me as a point of reference: I can look back to where I had someone at , say, 60% and track their behaviour since then to work out the increase.

There is no "scoring scale" as such - as in, it doesn't involve any sort of objective point of reference (eg. nothing like "A contradiction earns +15%"). A person I see nothing telling (either way) on will get a 50%.

From there, I consider my reasons for suspecting the person and place them somewhere along the spectrum based on how strong the reasons are. The purpose is not to try and make my subjective feelings seem objective. I make the % list because it lets me be clear about exactly how I feel about each person as an individual and relative to each other.
CKD wrote: the only thing that is different this time, is that vollkan is not doing the group, just the people he can vote for. In this regard, I agree with pooky, you should do one on your team as well. For pook's "team" has to vote as well (noted you said you would do it).
And I agree with you and Pooky here, as well (it will be at the end of this post). I should have included it initially, but I didn't.
Pooky wrote: If Vollkan does the % thing in every game previous to this one and then does the % thing in this game then it would show the Vollkan is keeping his behaviour in line with previous behaviour, he is not trying anything new, he is trying the same old stuff in order to stay in character.
I do the % thing each game not for the sake of being consistent, but because it is the easiest way for me to express my suspicions - and it fits with my personal emphasis on transparent arguments.
Pooky wrote:
That suggests that he is more wary of trying something new in order to play his cards tight to his chest and is following the standard "Make up bullshit numbers, say stuff that everyone can see, attack vigorously the weak players that you can get lynched because they can't defend themselves" formula that I would expect VolkScum to be using.

Or he could just really like the way he plays and be determined to do that same thing over and over again.
It's the latter, not that I don't expect skepticism from you. I'm more comfortable arguing (whether in attack or defence) than anything else, and the number system gives me a firm way of monitoring my suspicions. It is a "safe" style of play, but it has worked very well for me so far and I see no reason to play in a way that doesn't suit me.

Analysis of NLU

TJM
- Casts what looks like a peer pressure vote for shaft.ed ("Fiiiiiine"). Then proceeds to FoS Pooky, only to vote Pooky once he comes under pressure. Then he contradicts himself in regards to his priorities - valuing his own safety above pursuing suspicions. And, to top it off, he collapses into defeatism. Jive gets a
75%

CKD
- I'm not keen on the fact that he seems to treat Pooky's "we" as a reliable tell - though his acknowledgment that it was only an early suspicion mitigates this. Runs with unclear hunches on adel and armlx for some time, and I really don't like suspicions based on "hunch" or "feeling" - you can't make someone argue a "hunch". I don't follow his reasoning for voting TJM based on TJM's suspicion of CKD's hunches, which makes this possibly look like scum contriving an "original" reason to join a wagon.
70%

Adel
- Her wagoning looked to me like random wake-up wagoning and this was supported by her calling it "stirring the pot". She does vote shaft.ed, but unvotes once he explains himself. Her vote for TJM isn't explained, but before that she had referred to his atrocious posts. She doesn't contrive a reason of her own. Adel's play is difficult for me to get a firm read on, but there is nothing patently scummy about it.
55%

shaft.ed
- My first problem with shaft.ed was his attack on Adel for wagonning, but he explained this very well. His suspicions are pretty clearly explained. shaft.ed still seems a bit quieter than I am used to from him, but I don't see anything suspicious.
50%
TrustGossip
TrustGossip
Goon
TrustGossip
Goon
Goon

Post Post #320 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:39 am

Post by TrustGossip »

Mod:
maybe we please get some kind of deadline for TheJiveMachine and Dean Harper to post as well as a prod?
Compcrack

Basically crack.
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #321 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:35 am

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Already prodded.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
TheJiveMachine
TheJiveMachine
Goon
TheJiveMachine
Goon
Goon

Post Post #322 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:48 am

Post by TheJiveMachine »

Sorry, thought I was dead. Catching up now
Albert B. Rampage
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Albert B. Rampage
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #323 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:42 pm

Post by Albert B. Rampage »

Vote Count
(probably wrong so correct me)

CKD - TG
Armlx - Karma, Adel

3 to lynch.

Ain't nobody round...I'm just sitting by myself, relaxing on the borderlineee...yeaaah
Last edited by Albert B. Rampage on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the bastards.
Adel
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Adel
Crystalline Logick
Crystalline Logick

Post Post #324 (ISO) » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:52 pm

Post by Adel »

vote: armix

i thought it was already there.

Probably was - Albert

Return to “Completed Mini Theme Games”