Newbie 870 - Game Over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
almightybob
almightybob
Goon
almightybob
Goon
Goon

Newbie 870 - Game Over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:10 am

Post by almightybob »

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

Living Players (2)

NavyCherub
danakillsu
billybailey
karthikking
Townie

Netopalis
^
Townie

^
denotes a semi-experienced (SE) player
denotes an inexperience-challenged (IC) player

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

Dead Players (7)

bv310,
Townie
, lynched D1
chauchaudotcom,
Cop
, killed N1
NikolaSama
kirby_is_kyaan
Mafia Goon
, lynched D2
Shrinehme
brothernature
^
Townie
, killed N2
SeerPenguin
Tokillablockingnerd
Townie
, lynched D3
ace5993,
Townie
, killed N3
Nikanor
Mafia Goon
, lynched D4

Game Links

Day 1 lynch | Day 2 lynch | Day 3 lynch | Day 4 lynch
Last edited by almightybob on Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:10 am, edited 36 times in total.
I'm a townie! Honest!

Are you a video gamer? Had enough of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH2WemACIM]this kind of ignorance[/url]? Then [url=http://playstuff.tumblr.com/post/471266385/ignorance]sign the petition[/url].
almightybob
almightybob
Goon
almightybob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:11 am

Post by almightybob »

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  8. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines.
    Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  2. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    ).
  3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Unvote: Player
    or
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes/Unvotes that are bolded correctly and are unambiguous (with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations) will count.
  6. At deadline, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch. In the case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur.
    There will be no reduced number of votes in LyLo.

7. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; the lynched player may not post during twilight but all other living players may continue to post.
  9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Red
    or
    Purple
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. Votecounts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or on the 4th day of no activity. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  7. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
  9. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:
Last edited by almightybob on Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a townie! Honest!

Are you a video gamer? Had enough of [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryH2WemACIM]this kind of ignorance[/url]? Then [url=http://playstuff.tumblr.com/post/471266385/ignorance]sign the petition[/url].
almightybob
almightybob
Goon
almightybob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:38 am

Post by almightybob »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
who is a Mafia [Roleblocker/Goon]. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
who is a Mafia Goon. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
I'm a townie! Honest!

almightybob
almightybob
Goon
almightybob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:05 am

Post by almightybob »

Role PMs are on their way out, please confirm in-thread that you have read and understood your role. Once everyone has confirmed, we're ready to go!

If your role permits it, you may communicate privately during the confirmation stage. Once Day begins, all private communication must stop.
I'm a townie! Honest!

Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:07 am

Post by Netopalis »

Confirm'd!
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

Temporarily retiring following the end of my current obligations.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:39 am

Post by bv310 »

Confirmed.
Tokillablockingnerd
Tokillablockingnerd
Townie
Tokillablockingnerd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:33 am

Post by Tokillablockingnerd »

/confirmed
ace5993
ace5993
Goon
ace5993
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:37 am

Post by ace5993 »

/confirm
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 am

Post by Nikanor »

/confirm. Heya Neto!

Some things you all might find useful:
A Newbie Guide
Commonly used abbreviations. This list is incomplete, so if you see something that is not on this list, feel free to ask me what it is.
Frequently Asked Questions. Pretty self-explanitory. I highly recommend reading this.

If you have any other questions, ask me in-thread. If it's something I can't answer, like a question about your role, pm the moderator.
I am in the bottom 10% of scumhunters onsite!
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 am

Post by Nikanor »

Oh, and I'd appreciate if you all grabbed an avatar. It makes reading the game so much easier. :)
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:30 am

Post by Netopalis »

Haldo, Nikanor. Pleasure to be playing with you again...Here's hoping this game goes better!

Agreed with everything that Nikanor put forth. Good luck to everyone!
My posts are best read in the calm, reassuring voice of Morgan Freeman. I don't sound anything like him, but they sound best that way.

chauchaudotcom
chauchaudotcom
Goon
chauchaudotcom
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 am

Post by chauchaudotcom »

/confirm
brothernature
brothernature
Goon
brothernature
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:10 pm

Post by brothernature »

/conform

Yes, everyone please get an avvy. It makes life much easier for me, since I tell people apart from their avatars rather than there names...
You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
-Al Capone
kirby_is_kyaan
kirby_is_kyaan
Townie
kirby_is_kyaan
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Post by kirby_is_kyaan »

/confirm

Let's do this!
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:27 am

Post by Netopalis »

One more.....One more....

Anyone want to play some cards while we wait? Maybe a nice game of Mao?

Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:52 am

Post by Nikanor »

How about this:
@Mod: Karth is probably a flaker. Can we just start the game, and replace him if the need arises?
Tokillablockingnerd
Tokillablockingnerd
Townie
Tokillablockingnerd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:54 am

quick question: does the 48 hour inactivity period apply over the weekend?

thanks all!
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:55 am

Post by Netopalis »

In general, yes. If you're going to be away, though, just mention it to the mod. Preferably in thread too.

Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:58 am

Post by Nikanor »

You can always ask for special exception, as well. The mods here are human, they can improvise. :)
Tokillablockingnerd
Tokillablockingnerd
Townie
Tokillablockingnerd
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:33 am

ok, thanks. I'll try to post during the weekend, and if unable I'll mention it.
almightybob
almightybob
Goon
almightybob
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:50 am

Post by almightybob »

Nikanor wrote:
@Mod: Karth is probably a flaker. Can we just start the game, and replace him if the need arises?
The thread's only been open about 24 hours. We'll give karth a little longer to pick up his rolePM. If he doesn't open it within the next few hours, I'll replace him.
I'm a townie! Honest!

Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:54 am

Post by Nikanor »

Oh fine. :<
<-- Impatient.
ace5993
ace5993
Goon
ace5993
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:46 am

Post by ace5993 »

Well, seeming as the deadline for inactivity is 48 hours, wouldn't it be fair to give at least 48 hours to pick up the PM? I think we should wait 5-6 more hours at the very least (which would give him ~33 hours since the deadline.
Nikanor
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Nikanor
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:53 am

Post by Nikanor »

Most mods would have started the game by now. I'm just impatient to get this game going, don't mind me....
Netopalis
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Netopalis
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 am

Post by Netopalis »

Well, we can start and if he doesn't show up in 48 hours, then replace?

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”