Newbie 1052 - Endgame

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter
Pronoun: he/him

Newbie 1052 - Endgame

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:04 pm

Post by Drench »

When will you kill me?
When will you kill me?
When will you kill me?
I'm not afraid of your-

Newbie 1052 - Drencymod I

Spoiler: Game State
Alive (1/9)

Sundy, Mafia Roleblocker, Survived

Dead (8/9)

Stels, Mafia Goon, Lynched Day One

Nachomamma8, Town Cop, Killed Night One

Mute, Town Vanilla, Lynched Day Two

theplague42, Town Doctor, Killed Night Two

sordros, Town Vanilla, Lynched Day Three

Neuky, Town Vanilla, Killed Night Three

Ty, Town Vanilla, Lynched Day Four

Workdawg, Town Vanilla, Endgamed

Status
: Endgame
Last edited by Drench on Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 27 times in total.
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:22 pm

Post by Drench »

Rules

Stolen from AP, who was inspired by many.

>
Fundamental
1. Above all, this is a game – have fun!
2. Unless it is explicitly stated in your role PM that you can do so, do not communicate with anyone outside this thread. Even then, only communicate when your role PM states you can.
3. Do not quote any communication you have with me, the moderator of the game. Depending on the circumstance, you may be able to paraphrase things I have sent you (such as a role PM). Use common sense and if you are unsure feel free to ask me via PM.
4. I’m only human, and as such, I’m bound to make mistakes. If you believe I have made one, feel free to send through a PM and tell me what you think is wrong.
5. Be courteous to your fellow player. This is just a game, and any blatant personal attacks on another player will not be tolerated. Remember that everyone just wants to have fun!
6. Indigo is my colour. Please don't use it.
7. Any form of encryption or alteration is
forbidden
. This includes bona fide encryption, spoiler text, and unreadable text. I reserve the right to judge on a case-by-case basis.

>
Voting, lynching and deadlines
8. For your vote to be counted, it must be bold, and in the form vote: playername. The colon is optional. You may also vote to No Lynch by posting
Vote: No Lynch
9. Although it is not necessary, it is very much appreciated if you could unvote before changing your vote. Again, unvotes must be bold to count.
10. A lynch will occur at n/2 + 1 vote then rounded down, where n is the number of players currently alive. Once a lynch is achieved, votes may not be changed.
11. Rule 11 was being naughty and has been sent to the corner. As such, it does not exist.
12. At a deadline, rule ten will still be in play. If there is not a majority, then nobody will be lynched and night will begin.
13. If a lynch occurs, then the game enters ‘twilight’, where all alive players bar the lynchee may converse until I lock the thread and confirm the lynch. No votes may be changed during twilight.
14. Once you are dead, you may no longer post. However, you are allowed to make a single post containing as many F's as you like up to fifty, followed by any number of U's up to fifty. You may use capitalization as desired.

>
Activity
15. Treat this game as a commitment, and try your best to stay active. If you will be unable to participate for a period longer than 3 days, please PM me or post in thread.
16. Failure to remain active throughout the game will result in your replacement with my discretion. Try to post at least once every 72 hours.
17. All days will have a
fixed deadline
of
three weeks
. I may grant extensions, but this will be rare.
18. All nights will have a deadline of 72 hours. This deadline may not be shortened.

>
If All Else Fails
19. If, for some tragic reason, I have fallen off the face of the Earth (which I expect you to mourn), and can thus no longer mod, please contact the List Mod, Vel-Rahn Koon.
Last edited by Drench on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:33 pm

Post by Drench »

This game uses the 9-player setup called F11, which consists of four possibilities:

1. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Doctor, 5 Townies.
2. 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies.
3. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies.
4. 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Doctor, 6 Townies.

One of these was chosen totally at random, as were all role assignments.

If the Goon dies first, the Roleblocker may both kill and block in the same night.

The possible Role PMs are:

Mafia:

You are a Mafia Roleblocker, along with your partner _________ (who is simply a Goon). Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night here**, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill/roleblock (your team can do both so long as you live).

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One.

---

The game is located here. Please confirm by PM'ing me back your role.

AND
You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partner _________ (who is a pro-Mafia Roleblocker). Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remains; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched.

You may talk with your partner at Night here**, and send me a choice via PM of who you would like to kill (if your partner also lives, they can send in a separate choice to roleblock someone).

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no night actions will take place until Night One.

---

OR
You are a Mafia Goon, along with your partner _________. Your goal is to eliminate the pro-town players so that only your side remain; you win if this happens. During the Day, try to blend in with the rest of the players, and get someone lynched (if that someone is not your partner or yourself, that will make things much easier). You may talk with your partner when it is not Day here**, and send me a choice via PM of who you wish to kill.

Note: You may talk with your partner privately during confirmations to plan strategy, but no kills will happen until Night One.

---

Town:

You are the Doctor, and you can protect people from harm. Each Night, you may send me a choice via PM of who to protect; if they come under attack by the Mafia, they will live. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and try to lynch correctly during the Day.

Note: Doctors are 100% effective in Newbie Games (the person you protect will never die on the night they are protected), unless you are roleblocked. You may not protect yourself.

---

You are the Cop, and you can tell good from bad. Each Night, you may send a player's name to me; I will let you know if your investigation shows that they are Mafia or Town. You win if the scum are eliminated, so choose wisely at Night, and lynch well during the Day.

Note: Cops always get a correct result in Newbie Games (no sanity issues), unless you are roleblocked. You cannot investigate yourself.

---

You are a Townie, and you've got no special powers at Night. No investigations, no protection, no gun to shoot people. Your only powers are the ability to post, vote, and think. Lynch both Mafia during the Day, and you will win the game, along with the rest of the Town.

---

join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:40 pm

Post by Drench »

All Role PMs have now been sent. Once 8 of 9 players have confirmed by PM'ing me back their role, the game will begin. The thread will remain locked until then.
join your union
Drench
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
Drench
he/him
crucial waukesha voter
crucial waukesha voter

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:07 pm

Post by Drench »

Eight players have confirmed, so without further ado, the game begins!

With nine alive, it's five to lynch!

Naben has around 48 hours before a replacement is sought.
join your union
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Post by Mute »

Hello everyone.
Introductions: I am Mute. This is my second newbie game here.

Vote: Angry Scientist

Your name just reeks of scuminess. WHY SO ANGRY SCIENTIST? YOU GONNA TAKE YOUR ANGER OUT ON US POOR TOWNSFOLK?
:dead:
-Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses-
Stels
Stels
he/him
Goon
Stels
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Post by Stels »

Hello everyone!
I am your SE (Semi-Experienced player). I am something like an IC, except I'm not. Feel free to ask about the unknown if Nacho isn't around.

VOTE: Nachomamma8
Your appearance in this game made me happy =D
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Post by Workdawg »

Zomg hi.

I am a full on newbie... never played a game before, but I did plenty of reading while waiting for my account to be activated.

Hooray!
Stels
Stels
he/him
Goon
Stels
he/him
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:02 pm

Post by Stels »

Oh, just wondering, but do you guys know that there are vote tags? I mean, it's the same thing as just bilding your vote, but it does help Drench pick up the votes faster =P
Give it a try:
[ vote]________[ /vote] (without the spaces of course) Or just use the button.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:08 pm

Post by Mute »

Actually:
@Stels/Nacho/Ty- How does one go about making a table in a post? To clarify, it's that thing one can use using BBcode to make a table that looks something like:

TITLE
Side A | Side B
Side A | Side B

I am unaware as to how that code is used to generate a table and would like to for this game.

@Stels: I know of the vote tags, yet I do not use them. The white highlight behind the bolded text is off putting aesthetically for me.
Workdawg
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Workdawg
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:04 pm

Post by Workdawg »

Does it work like this?

VOTE: Stels

<.<

>.>
Angry Scientist
Angry Scientist
Townie
Angry Scientist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:13 pm

Post by Angry Scientist »

Mute wrote:

Your name just reeks of scuminess. WHY SO ANGRY SCIENTIST? YOU GONNA TAKE YOUR ANGER OUT ON US POOR TOWNSFOLK?
Nah, I'm cool until you'll call me 'Mad' instead of 'Angry' :P

VOTE: theplague42

This guy is the plague. The mafia plagues this town. Which means, he's the mafia. QED.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:19 pm

Post by Mute »

Angry Scientist wrote:
Mute wrote:

Nah, I'm cool until you'll call me 'Mad' instead of 'Angry' :P

VOTE: theplague42

This guy is the plague. The mafia plagues this town. Which means, he's the mafia. QED.
Ah, gotcha. Lemme guess an experiment went wrong and you were angry over the failure? =P
Also your logic is flawless.
Vote: theplague42
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by theplague42 »

The white highlight behind the bolded text is off putting aesthetically for me.
I completely agree. Second game here, got mislynched D3 in my first one.

Vote: Ty
cause he's the only experienced guy w/o a vote. And cause his username is an actual game :D

FoS: Mute
because he didn't RVS in his first post and placed the second vote on me afterward. I would vote for you but I don't want to be yelled at for OMGUS. Happpened to me in my first game.
Part of the problem.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:30 pm

Post by theplague42 »

Edit: meant "either of his first posts."
Part of the problem.
Angry Scientist
Angry Scientist
Townie
Angry Scientist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:22 pm

theplague42 wrote:
FoS: Mute
because he didn't RVS in his first post and placed the second vote on me afterward. I would vote for you but I don't want to be yelled at for OMGUS. Happpened to me in my first game.
I have three problems with this part:

1) He DID RVS in his first post (vote at me, post #5), so either I misread something, or you're wrong.

2) If you have a valid reason (well... Valid enough for this early stage of the game) to suspect someone, then you should totally vote at that person. After all, why would you NOT want to lynch mafia?

3) Okay, you already answered to my second point, but... Fear of OMGUS? Really... It's the random voting stage, I personally doubt any OMGUS at this point means anything. Also, I don't like it, that you are afraid of being pointed out (for OMGUS in this case). That's just scummy.
theplague42
theplague42
Mafia Scum
theplague42
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:47 pm

Post by theplague42 »

1. You're correct, he did. It was farther into the line so I must have missed it. Also, his lack of an unvote made me think that he hadn't voted yet.
2+3. I've read some games where people have been attacked harshly for "being defensive" in the RVS. And my FoS was pointing out something suspicious, not a die-hard scumtell. I am not going to cause myself to get attacked this early without a solid reason for voting.
Part of the problem.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:26 pm

Post by Mute »

theplague42 wrote:1. You're correct, he did. It was farther into the line so I must have missed it. Also, his lack of an unvote made me think that he hadn't voted yet.
2+3. I've read some games where people have been attacked harshly for "being defensive" in the RVS. And my FoS was pointing out something suspicious, not a die-hard scumtell. I am not going to cause myself to get attacked this early without a solid reason for voting.
...oh ****. Sorry, I had forgotten to unvote. :?

Unvote all votes I've made so far

Mute wrote:Actually:
@Stels/Nacho/Ty- How does one go about making a table in a post? To clarify, it's that thing one can use using BBcode to make a table that looks something like:
Does anyone, for that matter, know how to go about making a table?
Ty
Ty
Townie
Ty
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 pm

Post by Ty »

Hello everyone, I’m Ty. As a Semi-Experienced player I will help answer any gameplay/theory related questions you have about Mafia. Remember though, the other experienced players and I are still going to be playing to our win condition, so do be careful.

Mute

Sorry Mute, I have no idea how to make a table.

1) What’s the most important lesson you learned from your first game?
2) Did you enjoy being the Doctor? Why do you feel you were lynched and how could you have prevented it?
3) What did you think of Nachomamma8 scum in your previous game?

Stels

1) Have you played a game with Nachomamma8 before (i.e. how do you know Nachomamma8)?
2) What’s your favorite role and why?
3) Why do you feel the need to put an emoticon in every post?

Workdawg

Hello Workdawg, welcome to MafiaScum. I’m glad you brushed up on your reading.

1) Have you played Mafia outside of MafiaScum (including real life)?
2) Name something important pertaining to scumhunting that you learned from reading. What’s the most important thing you learned in general?
3) If you did a lot of reading then you should know most people begin by voting someone in the so-called Random Voting Stage. Why didn’t you vote someone in your first post?

Theplague42

1) You appeared scummy in Day 1 of your previous game. How do you intend to fix this?
theplague42 wrote: Vote: Ty cause he's the only experienced guy w/o a vote. And cause his username is an actual game
2) Is there any reason in particular you didn’t mention the IC Nachomamma8 who hasn’t posted yet?
theplague42 wrote: 2+3. I've read some games where people have been attacked harshly for "being defensive" in the RVS. And my FoS was pointing out something suspicious, not a die-hard scumtell. I am not going to cause myself to get attacked this early without a solid reason for voting.
3) Why do you care about being attacked early on?

Nachomamma8, Angry Scientist, Neuky

1) What’s your favorite role and why?
2) Why is Stels the scum?
3) Do you think you’re going to be lynched today? Why or why not?
Is it just me, or is it getting hot in here?
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:57 pm

Post by Mute »

Ty wrote:Hello everyone, I’m Ty. As a Semi-Experienced player I will help answer any gameplay/theory related questions you have about Mafia. Remember though, the other experienced players and I are still going to be playing to our win condition, so do be careful.

Mute

Sorry Mute, I have no idea how to make a table.

1) What’s the most important lesson you learned from your first game?
2) Did you enjoy being the Doctor? Why do you feel you were lynched and how could you have prevented it?
3) What did you think of Nachomamma8 scum in your previous game?
=S
That's okay, thank you for answering anyways. It ties into the way I will be playing this game, and I'd prefer to have a table to demonstrate, as just saying it outright might be confusing.
Specifically, unlike the mindset of "town until highly suspected as scum," I'm going to play with the mindset of "scum with medium probability until highly suspected/proven town."

1) Develop arguments. The "post-more" timidity I feel is a non-issue here, but I am mentioning it in passing anyways. But yeah, to develop arguments and cases against people is what I feel is the area in need of most improvement.
2) Yes, I did, in many ways. I won't let how I played there get to my head here, as it's a new game with a new crowd of people (minus one (Hi nacho :twisted: )). I am not at all upset about being lynched, and I was lynched due to a lack of being able to form a defense. To prevent it... iuno. I cannot honestly answer that, as I've not thought too much of it. If anything being able to clarify my points with solid evidence would have been the best way to go.
3) I knew from when nacho came in to replace Lateralus22 that his role in that game was scum. As a player I feel he did well, but his former role-player had given me enough clout to find him and then Nacho to be scum. It is that reason I've got the mindset that, even if a person replaces out, the new person does not dictate whether or not that role's alignment is different. They may try to change that perception of their role, which is the case if someone subs in as scum, but I've learned to not dismiss the possibility.
Nachomamma8
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Nachomamma8
Devil in the Details
Devil in the Details

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Post by Nachomamma8 »

Vote: Naben

Hello all, I am your IC. I have over a large amount of games under my belt, so I know what I'm talking about. You can ask me anything you want, and I'll try to corral those of you who are drifting in the wrong direction. I'll have a longer IC post up in the morning (it's 3:00 AM now), so keep your eyes on this slot for more!

@Mute:
TITLE ONETITLE TWOTITLE THREE
ONEONEONE
TWOTWOTWO

Basically, the [header] tags add that boxes you see on top. You can add as many as you like. Then, you post [row] tags and add as many [cell] tags as you can, which is the other kinds of boxes. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, the code for the table is accessible from my post simply by quoting it.

Ty, how does my answer to any of those questions allow you to get a gauge on my alignment?
"Playing with Nacho is like playing with a religious conservative." ~UncertainKitten

-- Fate, Vanilla Townie, was brutally stabbed by a throwing sword in endgame.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:36 pm

Post by Mute »

Many thanks Nacho. :D

Okay, now to illustrate my point:
PlayersPercent
theplague4260
Neuky60
Workdawg60
Angry Scientist60
Naben60
Stels60
Ty60
Nachomamma855

This is what I mean.
Everyone starts out at 60, because it is a nice enough a number to prove my point in that I have as much reason to think of everyone as scum as much as they are town. This is to, for me, keep track of how everyone acts, and the scores are rather arbitrary. Nacho is the exception at 55, as our last game together he was scum, and while I don't discredit the possibility of it I would find it hard to believe he'd get scum twice in a row.

If you do not like where you fall on my grid, remember that A) this is a grid I am using for MYSELF, and this does not and should not influence anyone; if you feel someone is scum vote for them on the basis of
your
own reads, and B) I feel your play is worthy of either a high or a low score.

This is in all honesty an experiment on my part on using a number-based system to keep track of scum suspicions. I do not expect it to be perfect and the amounts will fluctuate with my whim. I will not rely on it alone to lynch anyone I feel is scum, merely as a way to keep track and augment my arguments and such. If at all you'd like to see where you fall at any time, just ask.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Post by Mute »

EBWOP:
Sorry, tired so I forgot to include the ratings, or w/e.

60 = mid-point. Everyone will start here unless otherwise specified.
75 and above= I feel you're scum, and will be watching you more than others.
45 and below = I feel you're town.

46-74 = who knows, I can't get a good read either way.
Angry Scientist
Angry Scientist
Townie
Angry Scientist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:12 am

theplague42 (or TP42 if you don't mind):
I feel like you said nothing new at all while talking more. I think you would be a good politician. :P

Anyway...
TP42 wrote:2+3. I've read some games where people have been attacked harshly for "being defensive" in the RVS.
So? Do you think the people attacking for it are wrong in their assumption? RVS is pretty much the joke stage to start the discussion, so acting defensively while everyone else is still joking means 'I don't want to be in spotlight' to me, and that's the mafia's way of thinking.
TP42 wrote:And my FoS was pointing out something suspicious, not a die-hard scumtell.
It's still something suspicious for you. Do you feel your vote is better placed on someone who didn't post at the time of you voting (so just a random vote), rather than on someone who you think started acting suspicious?
I am not going to cause myself to get attacked this early without a solid reason for voting.
You won't get a solid reason in or right after RVS. Unless someone start's drilling, we can pat our backs to the end of the days without anything conclusive.

By the way, now when I think of this, what's exactly suspicious in Mute's post? Now we know you were wrong on the first part, and the second part? Why exactly putting the second vote on someone is suspicious? Bandwagon's are one of the best ways to get us out of RVS (at least as far as I can see after reading a few games), and they are usually not giving any clue about someone's alignment.
Ty wrote:1) What’s your favorite role and why?
1) A Cop. I'm a diehard fan of detective and mystery stories, so I love learning the truth piece by piece, and the Cop has a special ability to do so.

2) He is?

3) No, because I don't see any reason why would anyone lynch me.

Also, I have to second nacho's question here about the purpose of these question.

Mute:
About your table... Sure, it's nice to keep the track of everyone, but what's the reason of revealing that table to us? If you'll be posting the entire table regularly, you're pretty much giving your neutral and town reads all the time, and that helps scum pick their targets at night.
Neuky
Neuky
Goon
Neuky
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:48 am

Post by Neuky »

Ty wrote:1) What’s your favorite role and why?
Hi folks,
This is my 2nd game (my 1st - I was N/K'd the 1st night!) I've read loads of games and should be up to speed on most jargon.

I'm in GMT-land, so it looks like I'll be posting at different times to most of you.

1. Tree Stump - you get to hang around and can't be lynched or night killed.
2. Hmm... Why are you trying to lead the town eh eh? :P
3. No idea. I hope not - nor N/K'd in night one again either - I'd like to play for a bit longer this time.

VOTE: Mute Tables schmables.... :nerd:
Played 2 - won as town 0 - lost as town 2 - won as scum 0 - lost as scum 0 - Yep, I'm doing that well...

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”