Newbie 595 - Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Newbie 595 - Game Over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:39 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

Living Players (1)

q21
(replaces Demonking)

indicates IC player

Dead Players (8)

mike4876
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day 1

Walnut
(replaces zeal),
Townie
, Killed Night 1
W!nt3r
(replaces snafoo),
Townie
, Lynched Day 2
massive*
Cop
, Killed Night 2
Super Archivist
Townie
, Lynched Day 3
Litral
Townie
, Killed Night 3
Battousai*
(replaces shaka!!, starkmoon),
Townie
, Lynched Day 4
Muerrto*
Townie
, Killed in Endgame

q21
wins the game for the
Scum
team!!
Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:03 am, edited 26 times in total.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:39 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Game Rules:

Gameplay:
  1. You may not post Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it. Players with roles allowing communication may only communicate outside the thread during the Night phase.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action, your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline, no choice will be made.
  4. Mafia games typically start with the Night phase. However, in order for all players to play at least one game day, this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  5. The games at mafiascum.net typically do not have a posting requirement. As a general rule, however, you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  2. Once you have reached a simple majority, no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  3. Please submit votes as:
    Vote: PlayerName
    . Votes will NOT be counted otherwise!
  4. Please submit vote revocations as either
    UnVote: PlayerName
    or
    Unvote
    . If you do not unvote, your new vote will NOT be counted!
  5. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  6. Deadlines may be implemented if I feel that discussion is lagging. At deadline, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch to occur. In case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur.
  7. Once a player is lynched, the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; the lynched player may not post during twilight but all other living players may continue to post.
  8. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post, except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.
Miscellaneous:
  1. Red
    or
    Dark Red
    text is reserved for me. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM me privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  3. Questions/requests for the Mod may be posted in-thread.
    Please bold all requests so that I don’t miss them.

4. Terminology and answers to common questions can usually be found by a perusal of the
    Mafiascum.net Wiki
    . If you can't find the answer to a question, feel free to ask!
  5. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or as I see fit. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  6. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period, please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game, and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:39 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

The F11 setup is a relatively new format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doc, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:59 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Everyone except Zeal has picked up their Role PM. I'm going to open the thread for you guys so you can get started while I
find a replacement
. Walnut will be taking zeal's spot.

Game on!!

Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:08 am

Post by Litral »

Finally. :D

vote: Demonking
for being so very evil.

Have fun everyone!
Demonking
Demonking
Townie
Demonking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:58 am

Post by Demonking »

Now you're in a newbie game as a newbie. That may mean that you actually did a scum vote first mistake.

vote: Litral
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:45 am

Post by Litral »

Craplogic 1. You're in a newbie game as a newbie as well. Does that mean you just did an obvious OMGUS vote? This would mean you're scum.

Craplogic 2. By your logic no one would vote in about three years in any newbie game just to avoid being lynched for voting first.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:42 am

Post by Muerrto »

Um...this is the random voting stage, you took that vote way too seriously

Vote: Demon
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

I feel for the rest of the players every time I get a town PM.
Cat_Killer
Cat_Killer
Townie
Cat_Killer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:02 am

Post by Cat_Killer »

Hi there! Starkmoon's Flatmate here: She's REALLY sick at the moment and can't come to her computer. I've been reading her games out to her and she will come and catch up and post as soon as she is well enough to get out of bed.

Thanks C-K! - Vel
Going on holiday from the 12th to the 18th of April. It's Mai Birthday!
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:07 am

Post by Litral »

Cat_Killer wrote:Hi there! Starkmoon's Flatmate here: She's REALLY sick at the moment and can't come to her computer. I've been reading her games out to her and she will come and catch up and post as soon as she is well enough to get out of bed.
That sounds bad. Ask her to take care, and tell her there's no rush! This game is pretty slow anyway.

Litral, just so you know, the Newbie games here typically take 2 months or so to run to completion. Speed games are saved for AIM - Vel

Muerrto, were you referring to me? I, actually, in turn felt that Demon was starting to "logicify" too early, and thus I criticized his application of logic; it almost sounded as if he was being too OMGUS.

This may turn out to be the shortest random voting stage... ever.
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:19 am

Post by Muerrto »

Litral wrote:Muerrto, were you referring to me? I, actually, in turn felt that Demon was starting to "logicify" too early, and thus I criticized his application of logic; it almost sounded as if he was being too OMGUS.

This may turn out to be the shortest random voting stage... ever.
Hehe I voted Demon, so yeah, probably not referring to you.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Super Archivist
Super Archivist
Townie
Super Archivist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:39 am

Post by Super Archivist »

Hello people! I don't feel like random voting at the moment because I like you all so far. :D

When does this "random voting" thing end anyway? Does anyone actually get killed on the first day?
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:53 pm

Post by Muerrto »

Um...someone always dies on the first day unless the town is really, really bad.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Super Archivist
Super Archivist
Townie
Super Archivist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:21 pm

What will we have to go on? The mafia hasn't done anything yet...
Well, whatever.

Vote: snafoo
because he hasn't posted yet...

This game is so sssslllllloooooowwwwww..... x_x
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:25 pm

Post by Muerrto »

Lol you must be another of those used to chat/IRC/AIM whatever.

Games here last a couple months but are good.
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

snafoo
snafoo
Townie
snafoo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:45 pm

Post by snafoo »

Since it would be a shame to vote off a newb on day one, I'd rather vote for an IC.
There's one player who pretty much asks for getting lynched (given his name). So:

Vote: Muerrto
Walnut
Walnut
Goon
Walnut
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:05 pm

Post by Walnut »

As a newb, I like snafoo's thinking about not lynching a newb on day one.

Vote: Massive

Because it is early on and time to spread the fun around.
Reading your signature makes me feel guilty and helpless.
Demonking
Demonking
Townie
Demonking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:14 am

Post by Demonking »

The way I see it, its better to begin logicly straight away and miss out the random voting stage. So I'll change my point and agree with Snafoo, so I'll point to the person who is neither active or ill.

Litral; An OMGUS is when you vote for someone BECAUSE they voted at you, or at least that's what I read.

Unvote
Vote: Massive
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:32 am

Post by Litral »

Demonking, that's my point exactly. No one admits to an OMGUS. You won't of course say that you voted for me just because I voted for you - except jokingly - but your reasons for voting me were weak at best, and clinging on to poor logic is much more scummy than just doing a random vote at that stage. It's as if you were trying to justify an OMGUS. My vote stays for now.

I'd like to ask why it is better to vote off an IC, because I can't see that. If experience is an indicator of ability, as it usually is, most likely an IC could help us find scum more efficiently.

I have a pretty newbie question concerning the forums... is it that the topic starter can edit or delete any posts in the thread?

Vel, just so you know, I wasn't complaining. :D Thanks for the pointer.
Demonking
Demonking
Townie
Demonking
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:42 am

Post by Demonking »

Noone learns anything at all if we only have one day.

Why did you choose to do a random point?
Litral
Litral
Goon
Litral
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:43 am

Post by Litral »

Demonking wrote:Noone learns anything at all if we only have one day.
I don't get what you mean; are you saying that we can't possibly know who's scum? Because that isn't true.
Demonking wrote: Why did you choose to do a random point?
Again I don't get what you mean. Are you saying that my point was random? My point was far from random. I was saying you did not use proper logic when voting for me, and thus it is possible that you were trying to justify an OMGUS.

If you're asking why I voted randomly, it's because that seems to be the norm, and there's no better way to get a discussion started.
massive
massive
Mafia Scum
massive
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:44 am

Post by massive »

That's disappointing, I really wanted to vote Muerrto, seeing as how he was scum in my last Newbie game! I got my eye on you!

Demonking
: Can you speak a little about your vote for me?
"1AM .. not a good time to think I started mixing massive and mathcam" - Totem, DP8
"unvote mlaker; vote massive; It's like MeMe/mneme and Corsato/Cadmium" - Dragon Phoenix, Newbie 38
PLEASE NOTE: I actively avoid being online on weekends! Don't replace me just because of this!
Muerrto
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Muerrto
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:45 am

Post by Muerrto »

snafoo wrote:Since it would be a shame to vote off a newb on day one, I'd rather vote for an IC.
Please tell me this was a joke...
Show
Games - 31
Town - Win=9, Loss=10
Mafia - Win=5, Loss=4
Abondoned = 3

Super Archivist
Super Archivist
Townie
Super Archivist
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:45 am

Muerrto wrote:Lol you must be another of those used to chat/IRC/AIM whatever.

Games here last a couple months but are good.
Actually, this is my first mafia game. :wink:

I agree with Litral, we shouldn't vote off an IC unless we actually have a reason to. The same goes for a noob, though... We just don't have enough information at this point.

Anyway, I'll
unvote
for now.
starkmoon
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
starkmoon
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:47 am

Post by starkmoon »

Not going to random vote as I am late in.

Need to go die again.. will try to post before I go away on holiday.

Thanks for the head's up about the holiday. Hope you feel better!
Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”