Newbie 970 - Quietville - Game over

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Incognito
Incognito
Not Rex
Incognito
Not Rex
Not Rex

Newbie 970 - Quietville - Game over

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:53 am

Post by Incognito »

It was a very quiet town, where nothing ever happened, in fact it was so quiet the towns people named it Quietville. Everything was great....until the mafia came in guns a blazin! In all the chaos and the rush to find a way to get the mafia out of their town, everyone forgot what the mafia even looked like! Well thanks to that little misfortune the citizens have decided to attempt to find the mafia by lynching people! Let's hope that works....

Alive Players (1/9) - Confirmed Players in Bold

Sleepless_Assassin
(replaced Lateralus22)
, Mafia Roleblocker, survived

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

Dead Players (8/9)

Reverse Simplicity
(replaced mrdean)
, Vanilla Townie, lynched Day 1

mastermind
(replaced Vayre N1 who replaced lordofthelies pre-game)
, Vanilla Townie, killed Night 1

Xite91
(replaced Beanman pre-game)
, Mafia Goon, lynched Day 2

drmyshottyizsik
(replaced Computing during D2)
, Vanilla Townie, killed Night 2

Nachomamma8 (IC), Vanilla Townie, lynched Day 3

Mirhawk, Vanilla Townie, killed Night 3

[O]rphen, Vanilla Townie, lynched Day 4

Rain, Vanilla Townie, endgamed

Deadline

Game over.

This Games Back Up Mod Slot Has Been Graciously Filled By Incognito!
Last edited by Incognito on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 20 times in total.
[ooc][color=black]patrickgower2006 (8:12:03 PM): all beer tastes same to me
patrickgower2006 (8:12:07 PM): like dish water
If you see Patrick drinking dish water, please try and stop him. Friends don't let friends drink dish water.[/color][/ooc]
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:56 am

Post by wolframnhart »

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:

1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
6. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
8. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines. Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.

Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:

1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person (via voting) for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down). If no one has a simple majority of votes at deadline a No Lynch will occur.
2. Once a player has reached a simple majority of votes no further unvoting will change their fate.
3. In the case of a tie at deadline, the person who had the most votes before the tie will be lynched.
4. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g. Vote: Player).
5. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g. Unvote: Player or Unvote). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
6. You may Vote: No Lynch - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
7. Votes/Unvotes should be placed on a line all by themselves to make them easier for everyone to see.
8. Votes/Unvotes that reasonably follow the guidelines specified above, and are unambiguous with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations, will count. Attempting to fake a vote will result in a Modkill.
9. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players may continue to post.
10. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.

Miscellaneous/Mechanics:

Blue
text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed (if I can't read it, don't post it).
2. Vote counts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.
6. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or on the 4th day of no activity. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
7. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
9. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread. Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – please don’t leave us hanging!

The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game. Playing to win does not preclude being considerate of each other!

There is a ZERO tolerance policy for personal attacks in this game. I will remove you from the game (possibly without warning) if you get too personal.

Helpful Links:

* Main Wiki Page
* Newbie Guide
* Frequently Asked Questions
* Commonly Used Abbreviations
* Mafia Theory
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

Wolf, I fucking hate your face, but still <3 you as a whole. - Starbuck
wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:02 am

Post by wolframnhart »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:

* 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
* 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
* 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
* 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies

If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players
:
Mod wrote:Mafia

name (a Mafia Goon) and name (who is also a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

* During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
* During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via this QuickTopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill.
* You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
* You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:Mafia

name (a Mafia Roleblocker) and name (a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

* During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
* During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via this QuickTopic) and choose another player in the town to kill that night. One of you must send me a PM with your choice of who to kill.
* The Mafia Roleblocker has the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
* The Mafia should send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block (usually along with the kill). If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether the roleblock worked or not.
* The Mafia may communicate privately via QuickTopic up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
* You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players
:
Mod wrote:Townie:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

* You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
* Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
* At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
* You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:Cop:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

* Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
* The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
* In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
* You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:Doctor:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.

* Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
* If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
* You may not protect yourself.
* In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Last edited by wolframnhart on Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
They tell you never hit a man with a closed fist, but it is on occasion hilarious. - Malcolm Reynolds

wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 am

Post by wolframnhart »

Sending out role pm's. Once all players confirm the game will start.

wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:46 am

Post by wolframnhart »

Finding replacements for two players who have not opened their role pm's. As soon as slots are filled and confirmed we will start the game. Thank you all for your patience.

wolframnhart
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
wolframnhart
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:03 pm

Post by wolframnhart »

Replacements have been found, thank you Vayre and Xite91!

The town gathers at City Hall, the debate that will decide the fate of the town will now begin!

Day One Starting Vote Count

Not Voting: Everyone

With 9 alive it takes 5 to lynch
Deadline for Day 1 Ends July 9th 6pm PDT
Last edited by wolframnhart on Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:08 pm

Post by Xite91 »

Lets start with this!

Vote: Vayre

Because I said so
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

I'm going to make history. Because of that post's beauty, NOT banned. - Tazaro

Currently boycotting peeing sleeping and throwing up
[O]rphen
[O]rphen
Townie
[O]rphen
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:38 pm

Post by [O]rphen »

Vote Vayre

Cause he said so
Lateralus22
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:42 pm

Post by Lateralus22 »

Vote: [o]rphen

For falling victim to peer pressure.
Rain
Rain
Goon
Rain
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Post by Rain »

vote: mrdean
All cats die. Socrates died. Therefore, Socrates was a cat.
Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:23 pm

Post by Xite91 »

unvote
vote Rain

for not giving a reason for voting
don't do that again
this is your warning
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Lateralus22
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Post by Lateralus22 »

Xite, what do you mean by "this is your warning"?
Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Post by Xite91 »

Voting without reason is usually due to bandwagonning
while getting a majority of votes is the goal to lynch, just voting is scummy
think of it this way

7 people left in a game
2 are scum
2 people vote person A with good reasons posted and discussed
Person B decides, okay vote! and gives no explination
Next day, ESPECIALLY if person A was town, person B gets criticized because a hammer without explanation is usually an EXTREME scumtell
Now, remember scum gets 1 nk per night
so youre down to 3 town 2 scum, what we call lylo, or lynch or lose
if person B is town, too bad because typically everyone will jump on person B
person B gets lynched
scum win

therefore, I am stopping the problem before it starts
because if you don't, you get games like this
http://alphasitedown.webs.com/apps/foru ... mple-mafia
Hellraiser is the focal point

Also, exactly how new is everyone here?
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Post by Xite91 »

quick edit

3 people vote person A
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Mirhawk
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:28 pm

Post by Mirhawk »

Don't be a hypocrite Xcite, on the first post of the game you voted for someone with the reasoning "Because I said so."

I used to play mafia years ago on another site, but this is my first game in a while.
Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:52 pm

Post by Xite91 »

Reread. Think. Then respond. Hey, possibly even
read
the game I posted a link to to see what I mean.
It's a short one, relatively.

*sigh* but I guess Ill repeat myself in a way better suited for those that are... thought challanged

reason for my warning

I posted a reason
He did not

Thing is it WAS jvs when I posted. A joke reason, though with no valid reason WHATSOEVER still posts a reason.
But no reason does not, instead it gives nothing for the rest of the players to go off of and just makes the person look scummy
I am not being hypocritical
I am merely trying to help out for later points in the game, because (in case you missed it the first time) I have been in games that have had no-reason voting before
and guess what? A townie got lynched because he was stupid. I'm trying to prevent this
Again, in case you missed it, i will post the link to above game as proof that I'm not just blowing steam outta my ass
http://alphasitedown.webs.com/apps/foru ... mple-mafia
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Post by Xite91 »

And uh... by the way its Xite, pronounced Zite... (no anger-face, just letting you know ^___^)
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Mirhawk
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mirhawk
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Post by Mirhawk »

My Comment had nothing to do with your reasoning about bandwagons, but rather that fact that you changed you vote to a person for doing something that essentially you had just done.
Xite91 wrote:And uh... by the way its Xite, pronounced Zite... (no anger-face, just letting you know ^___^)
Sorry, my bad :(
Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:28 pm

Post by Xite91 »

Mirhawk wrote:My Comment had nothing to do with your reasoning about bandwagons, but rather that fact that you changed you vote to a person for doing something that essentially you had just done.
No, lemme show it to you

Me wrote:Lets start with this!

Vote: Vayre

Because I said so
Bolded part showed where I had a reason
Again, I agree it is invalid and not at all an argument
but it is a statement as to why, also known as a reason in english

And once again
me wrote:Reread. Think. Then respond
I put this in there for a reason
I want you to
reread

I want you to
think

THEN
I want you to respond

The point is that I don't want someone voting with no posted reason to vote
or, as stated before, a statement as to why
Like i said, my first vote was a joke vote, something that happens in the beginning of a game but, was there a statement as to why?
Think of the third quote
Thank you
-Xite

Also - no real relation to the game, no problem, I get Xcite a lot, again just a problem i like to nip in the butt :D
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Vayre
Vayre
Townie
Vayre
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:23 pm

Post by Vayre »

Right now not really and good reasons up, soo.

eenie meenie miney moe

Vote: [O]rphen
mrdean
mrdean
Ninja
mrdean
Ninja
Ninja

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:37 am

Post by mrdean »

Feels good to get going.
VOTE: Mirhawk because his name is top of the player list.
xite91 wrote: Also, exactly how new is everyone here?
This is my first ever game of Mafia of any kind, but I have read a couple of games so I have a rough idea of what goes on.
Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:14 am

Post by Xite91 »

Sorry, I thought I had answered my own question, but on reread, I guess I didn't.

I've played more games than I can count irl, but those are a whole different ball game considering you can get more of an exact reaction read there. (thanks to that wonderful thing called body language)

As for online games, I have played a total of two completed games. I say completed because the site died while a game was in progress for another, so you can decided to count the third as experience or not.
I have one of the games in the links in my two of my previous posts, and if you want the other for meta reasons, I have no problem giving it.
I will warn you though, it will do little to nothing considering it's been like a year and my irl games have made me more ballsy. Not to mention, the two play styles are pretty different between those games anyways.
Besides, though specific player meta is so terribly fun[/sarcasm], that's not why I asked for experience.
I just want to know exactly how new everyone is, so I can gage how nice -not- to be
Typically the newer you are the nicer I am, again look at hellraiser, he had never even heard of mafia before that game, which was why I was so nice, but even with him, i did decide on a policy lynch. I will do what is best for town,
even if that means lynching someone for the greater good
but as long as you aren't stupid, it wont come to that and everything will be fine. Sound good?
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Lateralus22
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:39 am

Post by Lateralus22 »

Xite91 wrote: Typically the newer you are the nicer I am, again look at hellraiser, he had never even heard of mafia before that game, which was why I was so nice, but even with him, i did decide on a policy lynch. I will do what is best for town,
but as long as you aren't stupid, it wont come to that and everything will be fine. Sound good?
Er what... :shock: Are you saying you've already decided a policy lynch on (Rain?) (Wait... who's hellraiser?) aren't you taking RVS stage a little too seriously, or are you rushing towards the lynch?
Xite91
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Xite91
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:56 am

Post by Xite91 »

Xite91 wrote:Besides, though specific player meta is so terribly fun[/sarcasm], that's not why I asked for experience.
I just want to know exactly how new everyone is, so I can gage how nice -not- to be

Typically the newer you are the nicer I am, again look at hellraiser, he had never even heard of mafia before that game, which was why I was so nice, but even with him, i did decide on a policy lynch. I will do what is best for town,
Lateralus22 wrote:
Xite91 wrote: Typically the newer you are the nicer I am, again look at hellraiser, he had never even heard of mafia before that game, which was why I was so nice, but even with him, i did decide on a policy lynch. I will do what is best for town,
Er what... :shock: Are you saying you've already decided a policy lynch on (Rain?) (Wait... who's hellraiser?) aren't you taking RVS stage a little too seriously, or are you rushing towards the lynch?
Wow... out of context response is out of context?
Read bolded part. This post had nothing to do with Rain at all tbh.
I was simply pointing out my hatred of stupidity and my ideology that a stupid townie is just as bad as scum, and should be treated as such
If you read my earlier post, you'd see that I mentioned hellraiser as the focal point of an old game, a sort of how not to play like super-noob if you will.
I was saying that we all will be on good terms if we all read and think first, then post
remember this?
me wrote:Reread. Think. Then post.
Simple request is simple

My main hope for this game is to get people (including myself) to play better, since that's what noob games are for

If I want a bandwagon you'll know. I will do my best to call them out, get them to respond, and respond accordingly until I have a good tell on, once I do, I will post my reasons, then I will try to get people to find OTHER reasons, and posts those, once it's obvious to me that the person is scum, I will push a wagon, but not before. Honestly, I would have no problem with D1 going till deadline before we decide to vote, as long as there is always good content.
The more we find out early game, the better off we are late game

And, no I am not even worried about RVS, if I was, then I'd be posting more than this even for the flaws of other people, Random Vote Stage is RANDOM, simple as that, but if you look at any other post (or game for that matter) there is always a reason (see above post is you don't understand that a random
reason
is still a reason, and is fine in RVS), and when there is not, there is a discussion on it, much like this one
Show
Ban
ned
for
mon
oto
ny!

Lateralus22
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Lateralus22
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:08 am

Post by Lateralus22 »

Xite91 wrote: Wow... out of context response is out of context?
Read bolded part. This post had nothing to do with Rain at all tbh.
I was simply pointing out my hatred of stupidity and my ideology that a stupid townie is just as bad as scum, and should be treated as such
If you read my earlier post, you'd see that I mentioned hellraiser as the focal point of an old game, a sort of how not to play like super-noob if you will.
I was saying that we all will be on good terms if we all read and think first, then post
remember this?
me wrote:Reread. Think. Then post.
Simple request is simple
My bad, I misunderstood your post thinking that you were talking about Rain. (Yes I did click on the first link to the site you gave and it only showed a freewebs site that said "Alpha site down" so I figured the site was down so I wouldn't be able to find any mafia games to see this hellraiser person you're speaking about. All I saw were some mafia rules below and I did not look on any other pages.)

As for your earlier question that I'll respond to now,
Xite wrote:Also, exactly how new is everyone here?
I used to play a few mafia games at some other sites but I haven't played mafia in about half a year.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”