jimfinn
Goon
jimfinn
Goon
Goon

Mafia 1114: Jim's Mafia - Game OVER!!!!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:39 pm

Post by jimfinn »

Screams pierced the sky just as the sun rose. All of the villagers rushed out, wanting to see what the noise was. The mayor, Jake Jones, was dead, a knife sticking from his back! Laying next to him, his two bodyguards’ bodies lay on the ground, all life gone in a single bullet through the forehead. Who could be responsible for this? It’s your job to find out and bring the killers to justice.

~ The sample townie role PM is as follows;

You are a
vanilla townie
. You have no special powers, but use your vote and your voice to lynch the scum and restore peace in the town. You are aligned with the town. You win if all scum are dead and at least one town player remains alive.

Living
2. Prox
3. magnus_orion
4. RobCapone
5. Oso
7. Mute
10. ConSpiracy
12. Javert
13. Jerbs

Dead
Spoiler: dead list
ICEninja, knife mafia goon,
lynched D1.
HumblePoirot, vanilla townie, Stabbed N1

DavidParker, vanilla townie, Lynched D2.

Edgerobin, Gun mafia goon, lynched D3

manutdforev10
replaced by Amrun
, vanilla townie, Shot N3
Last edited by jimfinn on Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Welcome to The Minigame Race! A fun challenge of your skills at many, many games. Challenge 1: 9 players remain
http://mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15354
jimfinn
jimfinn
Goon
jimfinn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:41 pm

Post by jimfinn »

borrowed (with some changes) from Tasky

1. General Rules
1.1 This is a game. Have fun. Be civil to all players; don't let your emotions get too far out of hand.
1.2 Rule violations will be dealt with on a case by case basis. I am not afraid to modkill, should it be necessary, but I really don't want to have to.
1.3 If you think I made a mistake contact me.
1.4 Usually I will post in bolded green.
1.5 My decision is final about whatever is going on in this game. This means that these rules may be amended if necessary to suit a situation I have not foreseen.
1.6 If your role PM allows you to break any of the following rules, such as providing you with a quicktopic you may use, obviously, you may do so.

2. Votes and Lynches
2.1 To vote a person use vote tags, e.g. VOTE: Tasky or bold your vote. If your vote is already on someone, an unvote would be nice.
2.2 You may use abbreviations as long as it's clear who you want to vote.
2.3 If I think you meant to vote, I will count the vote.
2.4 As soon as the majority of the players vote at the same time for a player, that player is immediately lynched.
2.5 You may VOTE: No Lynch, as you would vote any player. If half of the players (rounded up) vote No Lynch, the day will end without lynch.
2.6 After a lynch, no one is considered dead until I lock the tread. Therefore every player is allowed to post during twilight.

3. Do and Don't
3.1 The only place you are allowed to talk about this game is in this thread or in a PM addressed at me and only at me, unless your role PM states otherwise.
3.2 You may not edit or delete any posts of this thread.
3.3 Do not quote or pretend to quote any private communication with me. This includes your role PM.
3.4 Play to win. Don't do anything obviously detrimental to your faction on purpose.
3.5 If what you post cannot be easily read by all players in the game at the time it is posted, don't post it. This includes cryptography, invisible text, small text, and any other devilish scheme you may create.
3.6 If you are dead, don't post. A "bah" post is acceptable. You are only dead when I post that you are dead. Remember, however, that after the hammer, you may still post in twilight.

4. Prods and Replacements
4.1 Notify me if you are going to be on V/LA or risk replacement.
4.2 If you do not post in thread for more than 72 hours without announcing a V/LA, you will be prodded.
4.3 If a player fails to pick up his prod and post in thread for more than 36 hours, he will be forced to replaced out or modkilled.
4.4 Every player may request a prod or a forced replacement. I will then consider his/her request.
4.5 The sooner I know you have to be replaced, the better it is for me and for the game. If you know you will have to replace out, please let me know in advance.

5. Deadlines
5.1 First day's deadline will be 14 days after the game starts.
5.2 After that, the deadline will be 10 days after the daybreak post.
5.3 Deadline extensions may be granted in extraordinary situations.
5.4 Night deadline is always 48 hours.
5.5 Night actions I haven't received until after deadline will not happen (unless compulsory). If you wish not to perform any action, I prefer that to be stated explicitly.
Welcome to The Minigame Race! A fun challenge of your skills at many, many games. Challenge 1: 9 players remain
jimfinn
jimfinn
Goon
jimfinn
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:42 pm

Post by jimfinn »

Thread is open. GOGOGO!!!! With 13 alive, it is seven to lynch.
manutdforev10
manutdforev10
Townie
manutdforev10
Townie
Townie
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, The milky way Galaxy, the universe

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Post by manutdforev10 »

are tag posts allowed?

(this is a cleverly disguised tag post)

Yes, they are. No reason why not!
--jim
Edgerobin
Edgerobin
Townie
Edgerobin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:02 pm

Post by Edgerobin »

Vote: ConSpiracy
, Name alone makes him obvscum.
lewarcher82 & vollkan public hydra.
manutdforev10
manutdforev10
Townie
manutdforev10
Townie
Townie
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada, North America, Earth, The milky way Galaxy, the universe

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:05 pm

Post by manutdforev10 »

Vote:Edgerobin
for making me want to drink wine.
RobCapone
RobCapone
Mafia Scum
RobCapone
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:23 pm

Post by RobCapone »

Vote mute

mute's can't do well in mafia since they can't talk
Goodbye Mafiascum, you guys too serious for me.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:29 pm

Post by Mute »

Vote: ICENinja

How much scummier can you be than a cold heartless assassin?
:dead:
-Hard to see big picture behind pile of corpses-
Prox
Prox
Goon
Prox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Post by Prox »

You could be Subzero.

vote Mute.
This time, I'll not care.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Post by Mute »

Prox wrote:You could be Subzero.

vote Mute.
That is impossible for I am Mute.
If anything, I'm Reptile.
Prox
Prox
Goon
Prox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:55 pm

Post by Prox »

No. It's decided that you are Subzero. I get to be Scorpion.
DavidParker
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
DavidParker
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Post by DavidParker »

This has to be the most quintessential RVS I've seen in a while.

Vote: Oso

[Insert generic RVS reason here]
"To die will be an awfully big adventure"
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Post by Mute »

Prox wrote:No. It's decided that you are Subzero. I get to be Scorpion.
I hate subzero honestly. He's UberH@x with his FREEZE YOU TO DEATH!! powers.
but, I've found a more worthy target whom is scum:
Unvote; Vote: manutdforev10

You have a hard to pronounce name. You must be scum. Only scum would not want to be easily identified.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:10 pm

Post by Oso »

VOTE: HumblePoirot

Hello to David Parker, HP and ICENinja; the folks I have played with before.

Glad to meet the rest of you.
ICENinja (From the Signup thread) wrote:/in as well. Last mini was a disaster, this should be better!/
It wasn't
that
bad...at least we didn't have any double-voting, NK Immune Jesters or anything like that.
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:45 pm

Post by ICEninja »

Mute wrote: How much scummier can you be than a cold heartless assassin?
I'm cold and calculating, and will catch scum with ninja precision. I am not an assassin, thank you very much.

And yes, hello to you as well Oso. I wasn't referring to our game together, actually. I was referring to the one I am currently dead in, and shall not discuss. Our past game really wasn't as terrible, I just got frustrated.

Anyways, I like to open up games with a few questions.
1) What is everybody's timezone? This can be important if you live overseas and we're expecting a post from you, and it wont come until the wee hours of the morning.
2) What is your mafia experience here and elsewhere? It helps my reads to know who are the pros and who are still learning.
3) About how often can we expect you to post? Is this consistent with your meta?

I live in PST, which is something like GMT -8. I've played a decent number of games (check sig for amount) here, and have played/modded a good number of party based mafia. I post a lot, and they tend to be long posts. This is how I have played in every game, and will continue to play as long as time permits.

I feel like the beginnings of this game haven't been particularly productive. They usually aren't great, but as David pointed out, this stage has been even more random than is normal. Mute, why do you feel the need to make two random votes that don't actually advance the game?
Town: 14 wins, 14 losses
Scum: 3 wins, 2 losses
Javert
Javert
Goon
Javert
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Post by Javert »

I will take this opportunity to emphasize two facets of our ruleset:

1.)
We are on a 14-day deadline on Day One, and a 10-day deadline for every other Day; and
2.)
There is no reduced majority rule, which means we must reach a majority in order to achieve a lynch each Day.

With that in mind, I do not think we should take kindly to lurking. We cannot afford to dawdle.

Vote: magnus_orion
. One scum down.
"I was born with scum like you."
Javert
Javert
Goon
Javert
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Post by Javert »

ICEninja wrote:1) What is everybody's timezone? This can be important if you live overseas and we're expecting a post from you, and it wont come until the wee hours of the morning.
2) What is your mafia experience here and elsewhere? It helps my reads to know who are the pros and who are still learning.
3) About how often can we expect you to post? Is this consistent with your meta?
If I must.

1.)
Central Standard Time.
2.)
I am an experienced player.
3.)
I try to post at least once a day. This is consistent with my meta. I try to give advance notice when I may be away for an extended period of time. For example, I will have limited access from January 26 - 30.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:05 pm

Post by Mute »

ICEninja wrote:Anyways, I like to open up games with a few questions.
1) What is everybody's timezone? This can be important if you live overseas and we're expecting a post from you, and it wont come until the wee hours of the morning.
1) EST. Iuno what GMT -# that is.
2) 1 completed newbie game and this and another newbie game currently in play here; about 6 played and 1 modded off-site.
3) I post whenever I find something worthy to post about. I'm unemployed (thanks Target Inc.) so that's basically whenever.
And if you want to check meta, whatever. Personally I'm against it. I can understand it's merits in reliability, for finding patterns with how a person plays per their role, etc, but I don't use it. It's too much work to go into a person's past games to see how they acted then to compare it to now for me. Plus, a person can play any number of ways within multiple games.

ICEninja wrote:I feel like the beginnings of this game haven't been particularly productive. They usually aren't great, but as David pointed out, this stage has been even more random than is normal. Mute, why do you feel the need to make two random votes that don't actually advance the game?
How don't they? Voting to get people involved, get discussions going, acquire info, find people whom are felt to be scum, etc etc etc. I prefer to vote for random reasons until a point where serious discussion is reached, and the RVS ends and the game proper begins. Then my votes get based on solid reasoning.
I do not feel it has yet but we are close with your current post.
Javert wrote:I will take this opportunity to emphasize two facets of our ruleset:

1.)
We are on a 14-day deadline on Day One, and a 10-day deadline for every other Day; and
2.)
There is no reduced majority rule, which means we must reach a majority in order to achieve a lynch each Day.

With that in mind, I do not think we should take kindly to lurking. We cannot afford to dawdle.

Vote: magnus_orion
. One scum down.
...I had not noticed that. Thank you for pointing that out. o-o
While I agree we cannot afford to waste time, do you feel s/he is scum based on lurking? It is only the first 24 hours of the game.
Prox
Prox
Goon
Prox
Goon
Goon

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Post by Prox »

Eastern time, but I post late to avoid parents, I've got expirience, and I'll post whenever I can. Biweekly mini-epiphanies, mood swings, multiple personalities and time itself renders my meta nearly useless.
Oso
Oso
Goon
Oso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:17 pm

Post by Oso »

@ICE
1-Same as you; PST.
2-50+. Less than 10 (I think. Might be 10 by now) on MS though.
3-As time allows and I feel a need to. I don't see more than 36-48 hours going by w/o a post. As busy as I can get, I still work at the comp 75%+ of the time so I don't expect I'll have much of a problem posting.

@Javert
Thank You, for pointing out the deadline. I had missed that part (teach me to skim the rules).

Seriously though:
Javert wrote:[snip]
With that in mind,
I do not think we should take kindly to lurking.
We cannot afford to dawdle.

Vote: magnus_orion.
One scum down.
I'm going to go out on a limb and call that a non-RVS vote based on a player lurking.

Are you seriously going after lurkers less than 3 hours after the game started? Although the two sentences quoted there above might be unrelated in your mind they certainly look as if you connected voting magnus to player lurking being bad.

From my Point of View, it looks as if it could be either one. Either Action #1: pointing out deadlines[stop, reset, new thought], followed by a completely unrelated Action #2: Vote a player. Or Action-1/Part-A:Point out deadlines. Action 1/Part-B:Vote a player based on Part-A.

Question: Which is it? Or have I managed to misinterpret your intent entirely?
My Uncle always use'ta say, 'You can't get no blood from a turnip.' .... He'd say the same thing about gettin' it from a stone, too.
-
I never said nothin' back to him. You don't want mess with no freak that's searchin' around that hard for blood.
Javert
Javert
Goon
Javert
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:24 pm

Post by Javert »

My vote was not a lurker vote. But magnus_orion is scum.
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:27 pm

Post by Mute »

Javert wrote:My vote was not a lurker vote. But magnus_orion is scum.
On what grounds, a "gut feeling?"
Or do you, from almost nothing at all, have solid proof against him/her?
FoS: Javert
ICEninja
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
ICEninja
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:31 pm

Post by ICEninja »

Javert, thank you for pointing out the short deadlines. I was considering doing so myself. I'm particularly concerned with how short the days are considering prods aren't sent out until 72 hours of non-activity. I will likewise be unkind to lurkers given the situation, but your vote was quite premature. You voted someone for not posting yet on your first post, and it seems a bit hypocritical to me. I don't like it.
Mute wrote: How don't they? Voting to get people involved, get discussions going, acquire info, find people whom are felt to be scum, etc etc etc.
You voted people based on their name. That doesn't do anything to get discussion going. There are some things people do to get discussion going, such as bandwagoning, voting people supporting bandwagons, asking questions, reaction hunting, etc. However, simply making random votes for random reasons do nothing of what you said.

Also, the only way Javert could overtly know that magnus is scum is if he is his scum buddy. I too, as indicated by a comment made earlier in this post (that is now obsolete but I don't feel like deleting for transparency reasons), believed he voted a player for reasons of not posting yet. Simply declaring a player scum without "if" is one of the most solid scum tells in the game, I'd say. I don't usually make serious votes like this so early, but...
Vote Javert
Town: 14 wins, 14 losses
Scum: 3 wins, 2 losses
Mute
Mute
Goon
Mute
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:41 pm

Post by Mute »

ICEninja wrote:Also, the only way Javert could overtly know that magnus is scum is if he is his scum buddy. I too, as indicated by a comment made earlier in this post (that is now obsolete but I don't feel like deleting for transparency reasons), believed he voted a player for reasons of not posting yet. Simply declaring a player scum without "if" is one of the most solid scum tells in the game, I'd say. I don't usually make serious votes like this so early, but...
Vote Javert
Problem is, if he is scum, why would he be ousting his partner now?
Under rules section 3:
jimfinn wrote:
3.4 Play to win. Don't do anything obviously detrimental to your faction on purpose.
That would be going against his wincon if he were scum...
Though, I agree this level of obfuscating (please tell me I've used that word correctly here, I've never used it before :? ) is counter to the town as well.

Javert, why are you voting for someone when they have yet to post, stating outright they are scum?
Humble Poirot
Humble Poirot
Goon
Humble Poirot
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Post by Humble Poirot »

Hi everyone! Glad to be here.

Ok, Let's start:
RVS: While I think Random Voting serves a purpose, I don't think it should be a unique way to spark discussion. It's fairly easy for scum to avoid catching flak if they don't do anything foolish.

I advice everyone to keep rule 1.1 well in mind. Specially early on. flamewars help scum and defeat the game's main purpose: Having fun. That being said, I have great confidence on the set of players in this game.

The number of players throws me off. I thought normals were supposed to have 12 players or less. I'll probably talk more about that later.

@Edgerobin
: Have you played forum mafia before? Here? Elsewhere? Are you familiar with MS's ways?

@Oso
: Glad to see you again, man! Last game was really rewarding and I can only hope this is as well.

How dare you! :mad:
Javert wrote:I will take this opportunity to emphasize two facets of our ruleset:
2.)
Nowhere in the rules does it specify that when deadline comes, the player with most votes won't get lynched. But it doesn't state otherwise, either.

MOD, clarification on the subject?

@ICEninja:
1) My timezone is GMT-3.
2) I don't really feel like explaining my experience. It's boring. Plus, I'm sure I already explained this in an old answer:
My experience in MS is 1 & 1/2 games by myself. The 1/2 game is because we broke the setup and the mod stopped it . A friend of mine introduced me to mafia and allowed me to contribute in his games. I've read like 13-15 gamse. I know the wiki. I've played some lame games on other sites too. I've played some basic mafia IRL too. That's about it. Without being arrogant, I'd like to consider myself a decent player. But I still have trouble sometimes separating bad logic from scum logic. Town can make mistakes too. I try to get reads on everyone before moving on. I don't want d1 to end fast without expressing who I think is scum with a decent degree of certainty.
Add to that a couple of games you're welcome to research in my profile.
3) I'll post when I can and feel it's necessary. I can't predict when I'll be busy but I try to commit to the game within my possibilities.
------------------
Good, we seem to have our first interesting debate:

While I was editing this post I saw mute's assumption that Javert's vote was a lurker vote. I didn't necessarily see how that was the case but thought it might be better to wait for Javert's answer.
Now, Oso jumps on the situation as well. Thinking along the same lines as mute providing different alternatives and asking for an explanation.

Javert answers 7 minutes later with a response I don't know wether to take seriously or not. It's just too brief and seems purposely uninformative.
Javert wrote:My vote was not a lurker vote. But magnus_orion is scum.
Time to end RVS for you, buddy. If you are joking about magnus_orion, then state so clearly. If you really think magnus_orion is scum, then state why, if it doesn't relate to your "lurker awareness policy", to give it a name.

EDIT: Now ICEninja votes Javert. Damn, this develops fast.

EDIT2: I should not multi-task while I post. I'm never up to date. I'll comment on both posts later.

I eagerly await anyone comments on these matters. Specially from those who haven't yet posted (or just random voted).

Humble Poirot
If you are to be Hercule Poirot, you must think of everything.

Return to “Completed Mini Normal Games”