Newbie 1081: Showdown in Newbtown (Game Over, Mafia win)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
bv310
bv310
Mafia Scum
bv310
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Newbie 1081: Showdown in Newbtown (Game Over, Mafia win)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 am

Post by bv310 »

Newbie 1081: Showdown in Newbtown

Mafia have invaded your town (with only...9 people living in it...)! It's up to you to lynch the scum, and save the town (or, if you're scum, fool the town and then destroy it)!

I recommend this short reading.

Alive
  • chkflip
    lynchking

h3ll0 *
    Seeker99
    alnkpa

thunderwielder
    Kard
    Fatso

Workdawg
    sarahfish89
SE = Semi-Experienced
IC = Inexperienced Challenged (our smartass way of saying "experienced")
(*) indicate the number of prods a player has received

Dead
  • Zdenek (SE),
    Cop
    , lynched Day 1
    startransmission (IC),
    Townie
    , killed Night 1
    drmyshottyizsik
    Banana Stickers
    (SE),
    Townie
    , lynched Day 2
    Bulvious,
    Townie
    , killed Night 2
Important links
Last edited by bv310 on Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 am, edited 17 times in total.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 am

Post by Antihero »

RULES (please, please, please, please, read these)
*shamelessly stolen from StrangerCoug and modified*
  1. This is an semi-open setup, which means you know what the possible Role PMs look like in advance.
  2. The preferred voting method is to put vote tags around the player's name, but I will still accept the old method of bolding the word "vote" followed by said player's name, e.g. VOTE: Antihero or
    Vote: Antihero
    . As long as I can tell to whom you are referring, spelling does not count and I will accept abbreviated or otherwise shortened forms of the name of the vote's recipient. If you change your mind about whom you want lynched, you
    must
    post the unvote tags or bold an unvote, preferably in the format UNVOTE: Antihero. You may also VOTE: No Lynch, unvoted the same way as before.
  3. A majority of votes is required for a lynch, even at deadline. Once a lynch has been decided, it is final and further votes and unvotes do not count for the current day. If deadline is reached with no player having enough votes for a lynch, the day ends in an automatic No Lynch.
  4. Day 1 will have a strict three week deadline. Nights will last 72 hours.
  5. Once you die, I'll allow one "bah" post that doesn't contain any game-related content if you wish to make it, but you must thereafter stop posting in the game. Said "bah" post is the only post a dead player may make during twilight. Living players may continue to talk during twilight as long as they follow all of the rules.
  6. Don't be a jackass. Please, let's keep the lynching and killing of each other from becoming personal.
  7. You may post in any color that can be easily read against the forum background other than
    orange
    . That color is mine.
  8. Unless you're the moderator (that's me), please do not delete or edit any posts in this thread.
  9. You are not allowed to discuss this game outside of the thread unless I tell you otherwise, nor are you allowed to discuss other ongoing games in this thread.
  10. Do not quote or pretend to quote any private communication, either from me or from anyone else you are allowed to talk with at night. You are allowed to paraphrase, but you are not allowed to plagiarize. If in doubt as to your paraphrase's legality, PM me with the wording you want to use.
  11. No crytography or hidden text, as this is against the spirit of the game.
  12. I will issue a prod to any player that does not post for 72 hours without notifying me of his or her absence. (I'm sorry, but I do not check the V/LA thread. If you do not tell me to do so, neither will I check your signature.) If you are prodded, you will have 48 hours from the time of submission to post in thread. Failure to do so may result in replacement. Keep in mind that I have the board time down to the second. I will only prod the same player twice—after that, he or she must post every 72 hours to ensure that he or she remains in the game.
  13. I am not God. If I make any mistakes whatsoever, please let me know.
  14. That said, please don't fish for modkills (just one of my personal pet peeves). I'm going to be really annoyed if I see someone saying "OMG, Player A made one word orange, MODKILLZZ."
  15. I'd love for everyone to play the game to completion, but if you get hopelessly behind, get sick, or fall into a giant chasm of doom, please feel free to request replacement. I'm not going to blacklist you, or talk about you behind your back, or give you a glare every time I see you.
  16. Speaking of blacklists, I don't have one of those, and I intend on keeping it that way.
  17. The most important rule of all, saved for last for what I think is a very good reason: This is a game.
    HAVE FUN!
    Enjoy! And good luck!
The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:05 am

Post by Antihero »

Setup

This is an F11 setup. That means 1 of 4 possible setups.
  • 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Mafia Goon, 7 Townies
    1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Normal Doctor, 5 Townies
    2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
    2 Mafia Goons, 1 Normal Doctor, 6 Townies
N.B.
: The Cop is only one explicitly told by me if his action was successful or not.

Possible Role PMs

You are a
Mafia Goon
, and your partner is XXX. Every night, you may talk with your partner in this QT and decide on someone to kill. If there's nothing to prevent the kill, your target will be dead the next morning.

You win when only mafia members make up at least 50% of the living population.
You are a
Mafia Roleblocker
, and your partner is XXX. Every night, you may talk with your partner in this QT and decide on someone to kill. If there's nothing to prevent the kill, your target will be dead the next morning. Also, you may target someone every night for a roleblock. Your target will be unable to perform his/her action that night. Should you outlive your partner, you may both kill and roleblock in one night.

You win when only mafia members make up at least 50% of the living population.
You are a
Cop
. Every night, you may investigation someone and you will be told the alignment of your target.

You win when all mafia members are dead.
You are a
Doctor
. Every night, you may protect someone and your target will be nightkill immune for that night. You cannot protect yourself.

You are a
Townie
. Every night, you have 72 hours to just chill. Enjoy it!

Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:30 am

Post by Antihero »

All role PMs are out at this point. Mafia, you can talk in the QT until the day begins.

Day will begin in 48 hours or after everyone confirms, whichever comes first.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:37 am

Post by Antihero »

Oh, yeah, and bv310 is my backup mod. So if I'm vaporized, he will be your mod.
Antihero
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
Antihero
al;kdjfal;kj
al;kdjfal;kj

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:02 am

Post by Antihero »

Everyone has confirmed, and it is now Day 1!

With 9 alive, it's 5 to lynch. Deadline is April 12th.
Zdenek
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Zdenek
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:08 am

Post by Zdenek »

Vote h3ll0

Good-bye.
I have secret plans and clever tricks.
- The Enormous Crocodile.
alnkpa
alnkpa
Townie
alnkpa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:34 am

Post by alnkpa »

Well hello there,

I'd like to shortly introduce myself:
My name is alnkpa, but if that name is too difficult for you, you may call aln or alki aswell. As most of us, I am a newbie to MafiaScum. Though I am not really oblivious about the game (I just lost it btw). I already played some games on EM and on #mafia@globalgamers. I am in GMT+1, just so you know.
Although I don't really get the concept of RVS or why it is so important, I do:
VOTE: Zdenek, just because he took away my first option for RVS.
I wish everyone good luck and much fun.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:10 am

Post by Fatso »

WOOHOO! The thread is unlocked!
Anyways, I don't like RVS very much, so I'm not voting until I see an actual scummy post.
"Don't shuffle that deck, it's stacked!"

-Fatso
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:28 am

Post by startransmission »

Cheers everyone! I'm startransmission, your local Newbtown IC. IC basically means I've played a few games in my day, and will help inform new players on some of the basics of the game when the situation(s) arise. But be aware, being IC has no effect on whatever alignment I might have. I have a win condition and am playing to fulfill it. That said, I'm looking forward to this game, and wish everyone a good one.
alnkpa wrote:Although I don't really get the concept of RVS or why it is so important
The Random Voting Stage is considered by many (myself included) to be a good way of getting conversation started. At the beginning of the game there is little information, so throwing some votes out there gets people talking etc. Who people choose, for what reason, and how people react can be valuable at this early part of the game. For example,
Fatso wrote:Anyways, I don't like RVS very much, so I'm not voting until I see an actual scummy post.
Already the RVS provides us an interesting post. Once
could
argue that Fatso not wanting to engage in the RVS is a sign that he wants to fly under the radar, that he wants to keep his hands clean until later in the game when perhaps a wagon is already built for him to jump on. That might be going a bit far, but it's an example of how the RVS can start dialogue.

Vote: Banana Stickers

For me having to refer to him as BS for the rest of the game.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:42 am

Another way of getting conversation started is the RQS, or the Random Question Stage. I don't find it as valuable, but it's a nice way for players to get a feel for one another.

1. What's your Mafia experience?
2. What's your favorite band?
3. What role/alignment do you prefer?
4. Do you find it harder finding scum, or convincing other people that you've found scum (the latter assuming you correctly identified someone as scum)?

1. I played and modded for a year or so on another forum before trying mafiascum. Been playing here exclusively since. I've finished twenty or so games, more than half of those newbie games. I find some purity in the F11 setup.

2. Depends on the day of the week, and today it's Rush.

3. How much I enjoy being scum is too dependent on who my partner is. I prefer town, I get more enjoyment out of scumhunting than I do pretending to scumhunt.

4. For me it's harder to find them. I second guess myself a lot, so when I'm convinced myself I usually don't have a hard time convincing others.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
sarahfish89
sarahfish89
Townie
sarahfish89
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 am

Post by sarahfish89 »

1. What's your Mafia experience? Played for about a year on Dragon cave with some experienced players but I also teach people new to the game and am considered an experienced player (so I'm not what you call a complete newbie)
2. What's your favorite band? Don't really have one....
3. What role/alignment do you prefer? Well, I've never been lovers (I hope you've heard of them) or Vigilant I'd love to be them, but out of the roles I've played I would say detective.
4. Do you find it harder finding scum, or convincing other people that you've found scum (the latter assuming you correctly identified someone as scum)? Well, I have some interesting ways of convincing people (which sometimes gets me lynched) but I find finding Mafia/scum harder.

You can call me Sarah as sarahfish89 is quite long to write.

Vote: Zdenek
For having a Z as the starting letter of their name.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:04 am

Post by Fatso »

startransmission wrote: 1. What's your Mafia experience?
4. Do you find it harder finding scum, or convincing other people that you've found scum (the latter assuming you correctly identified someone as scum)?
1. One game here, 40+ in the real world.
2. Beatles. Definitely.
3. Scum or PR. VT is a bit boring at night.
4. Definitely the latter of the two.

-Fatso
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:02 pm

Oh, and Happy Birthday Banana Stickers! Didn't realize that when I voted you... :D
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 pm

Post by Bulvious »

1. I've lost one game, won another, and I played another game off-site which never came to a close, I consider this to be my third game.
2. Undecided at the moment.
3. I've played town and cop, so I'll go with cop for now.
4. Not much experience in this category as I've never had trouble convincing people I've found scum.

Vote: Fatso

For being unwilling to participate (much) in RVS and then merely being reactive. Scumtell IMO.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:27 pm

Post by Fatso »

Bulvious wrote:
Vote: Fatso

For being unwilling to participate (much) in RVS and then merely being reactive. Scumtell IMO.
What do you mean "merely reactive?"

-Fatso
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:03 pm

Post by Bulvious »

Instead of choosing to ask questions of your own, or come up with something interesting to discuss other than your unwillingness to place an RVS.

Another fair example is posting yet again in response to something I say without any of your own input.

"Merely reactive" implies that you're defensive. Being defensive means you're not offensive, and lacking that, you're not scumhunting. Scum don't scumhunt. You're scum.
h3ll0
h3ll0
Townie
h3ll0
Townie
Townie

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:22 am

Post by h3ll0 »

Zdenek wrote:
Vote h3ll0

Good-bye.
You're lame.

Votes lynchking
, who wouldn't?
h3ll0
h3ll0
Townie
h3ll0
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:31 am

Post by h3ll0 »

startransmission wrote: 1. What's your Mafia experience?
1. I played 3 games on another site before, which ended in 2 town lost and 1 mafia lost. This is my second game here, the first was in newbie 64 where I won.

2. No favourites at the moment.

3. I never played as a power role before, so I don't know.

4. Definitely convincing the other people.
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:23 am

Post by Fatso »

*Sigh* If you insist:
Vote: alnkpa

for being the only person (I think) who has neither posted or been voted for.

-Fatso
Fatso
Fatso
Goon
Fatso
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:24 am

Post by Fatso »

Never mind. I didn't see your post.

-Fatso
alnkpa
alnkpa
Townie
alnkpa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:58 am

Post by alnkpa »

startransmission wrote:1. What's your Mafia experience?
1. As I stated before, I was playing on EM for about a year with some pauses in the middle. And I started playing on #mafia@globalgamers about a month ago. So I don't think I am really new to this game but I am to this site.
2. Oh that's kind of a hard question, as I am not such a big fan of music. Though I like german rock/pop like "Sportfreunde Stiller" and "Wir sind Helden". You probably never heard of those, so I'm naming "Lenka" too, although she's just a singer-songwriter and not a band.
3. I prefer scum, to be honest. I like tricking people, setting them traps and generally seeing them run into those. So be cautious ;). Though it is possible, that I just like that more because my scum-finding skills are not the best. Which leads me to question 4:
4. I am good at stating facts and showing people how they come together to form a big solution but I am sometimes to oblivious to see some scumtells.

One question to the SEs/IC:
How do you vote in RVS? Rather one vote to stick to it or switching ones?
Bulvious
Bulvious
Goon
Bulvious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:08 am

Post by Bulvious »

So now you're backing off what you said about RVS after the slightest bit of pressure? Why?
alnkpa
alnkpa
Townie
alnkpa
Townie
Townie

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:26 am

Post by alnkpa »

Me? In what way am I backing off? I really don't see it. Was just asking about RVS, as it seems to be a common factor in a game.
startransmission
startransmission
Mafia Scum
startransmission
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:34 am

alnkpa wrote:One question to the SEs/IC:
How do you vote in RVS? Rather one vote to stick to it or switching ones?
Typically one vote suffices in RVS. Randomly moving around your vote won't lead to much, usually a change of vote from your initial random vote is for a reason, thus rendering it non random. The RVS shouldn't really last too long anyways.

I would say that the vote Bulvious laid down on Fatso effectively ends the RVS. The potential debate between them interests me greatly.
W--L--A as town
24--14--0
W--L--A as scum
14--4--0

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”