Twilight

This forum is for discussion related to the game.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Twilight

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:44 am

Post by SensFan »

During Twilight, which is the norm?

* The lynch is final, anyone can talk freely
* The lynch is final, anyone but the lynched can speak freely
* The lynch is final, no game-related discussion
*The lynch is not final until the mod makes it so
Peers
Peers
Goon
Peers
Goon
Goon

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:47 am

Post by Peers »

From what I've seen, it's #3 most commonly, although some games do #1.
Thok
Thok
Disgrace to SKs everywhere
Thok

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:50 am

Post by Thok »

The short answer is "Whatever the mod thinks is best for his game".
I replaced into Chess Mafia for 6 months, and all I got was a win and this lousy sig.
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:53 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

The shorter answer is "Whatever the mod put in the rules." - two less words, booyah! :D

Seriously though, the standard on MafiaScum if the mod doesn't specify is usually "the lynch is final, anyone can talk freely". Since in most games the players can't actually know if the lynch was successful until the mod posts the death scene, anything else is incredibly hard to adjudicate...
Retired as of October 2014.
SensFan
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
SensFan
Fortuna Ex Deus
Fortuna Ex Deus

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:07 am

Post by SensFan »

Can I assume #4 is
never
rarely an option?
(11:04:10 PM) senspizzaline: That's actually my bold prediction for the year
(11:04:19 PM) senspizzaline: Miami finishes 2nd in the AFCE.
(11:05:35 PM) jhawk01b: my bold prediction for the year is that whoever wins the NFC West will have a winning record
Kelly Chen
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Kelly Chen
Open-Minded
Open-Minded

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:09 am

Post by Kelly Chen »

What does that mean, that you can unvote even after there's a majority?

I'm not sure I've seen that.

I've speculated that it could be a good way to make quicklynching an unviable strategy when the game starts at lylo etc.

But there's too much ability for the mod to be partial to one side or another, unless the length of twilight is written into the rules...
Thesp
Thesp
Supersaint
Thesp
Supersaint
Supersaint

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:15 pm

Post by Thesp »

Kelly Chen wrote:What does that mean, that you can unvote even after there's a majority?

I've seen a mod try to do this because he'd seen a couple of people whine about quicklynches. He was shouted down by players after it drug the game on unecessarily. It's terrible.

I'm more a fan of "lynch is final, free talk allowed" because players can misread votes, and players often (un?)intentionally break the no talking rule. I was in a newbie game where I was quicklynched as cop by someone who turned out to be town. Someone who was scum made a post after twilight to indict this player, and I thought it was scummy to the core, but refrained from my comment because of the rules. It drove me batty. :(
"When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning." -
Reiner Knizia

Ask me about my automatic votecounter, and how you can use it in
your
game!
Check out my 15 minutes of fame on Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:42 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Kelly Chen wrote:What does that mean, that you can unvote even after there's a majority?

Going with the theory that the moderator is just there to enforce the Rules of the Game, I'd have a problem with lynches being able to be 'reversed' if the mod doesn't show up before one of the players. I tend to envision quicklynch/endgame scenarios as being the remaining scum stringing up one person, then
immediately
turning on the rest now that the numbers are in their favor, and gunning them down.
bigAl
bigAl
Goon
bigAl
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:03 pm

Post by bigAl »

What if you're a cop (with a couple investigation results) and you get lynched before you have a chance to reveal your investigations. Should the cop be able to post his investigation results in the twilight? I'd say definitely not. It effectively confirms some people unfairly. I'd say 'no' to the first point in cases like that.

I'd vote for #2 most of the time, or maybe #3 depending on the mod.
Come play Metroplexity! Come play Unangband!
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:17 pm

Post by Mr. Flay »

Problem is, even if you state out front that twilight posting is forbidden by the lynchee, you can't 'unmake' a post by that Cop. Do you have to void the entire game at that point?

I take it as a gallows confession/declaration, which is why forbidding the lynchee to speak before the Mod kills them doesn't make sense to me. YMMV.

::edit:: Now, I could see an argument that it's
unethical
to reveal things in twilight, and I always take anything said then with a grain of salt, but...
IH
IH
Always Scum
IH
Always Scum
Always Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:46 pm

Post by IH »

A combination of number 1 and number 4. Discussion continues until the mod confirms it is a lynch. (See texas justice where we thought we lynched like three times <.<)
Untrod Tripod (7:27:18 PM): you enjoy whoring
xcaykex (7:27:24 PM): yes
xcaykex (7:27:26 PM): i know that
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:37 am

Post by Seol »

SensFan wrote:During Twilight, which is the norm?

* The lynch is final, anyone can talk freely
* The lynch is final, no game-related discussion
* The lynch is not final until the mod makes it so
Technically
I'm a 4, simply because there
might
be a vote-nullifier, a vote-stealer, a Mayor, or whatever. Until it's confirmed someone's got a lynch majority, then it's not technically confirmed it's Twilight, though.

I see no reason not to let people talk at any point where the thread is open, unless there's a strong mechanical or flavour reason why not. People can talk until I show up, confirm there's a lynch, declare it night and close the thread. In fact, I don't even recognise the term Twilight in my games - it's day until it's night.
[i]The hungry maw of Twilight snaps, but shall not have its fill,
Until one man hangs by his neck, by half this curs'd town's will[/i]
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:49 am

Post by Erg0 »

bigAl wrote:What if you're a cop (with a couple investigation results) and you get lynched before you have a chance to reveal your investigations. Should the cop be able to post his investigation results in the twilight? I'd say definitely not. It effectively confirms some people unfairly. I'd say 'no' to the first point in cases like that.

This actually had the potential to occur recently in Open 46. Knowing what was likely to happen, I tried to keep an eye on the thread and lock it as soon as I saw the hammer in order to prevent a "deathbed confession". As Flay said, there's not really much you can do if the cop decides to post results after being lynched, but as a mod I will always try to prevent it from occurring since I think it falls firmly into the "bad play" category. In this case, the cop had plenty of chances to claim before being lynched anyway.
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:02 am

Post by Seol »

Erg0 wrote:
bigAl wrote:What if you're a cop (with a couple investigation results) and you get lynched before you have a chance to reveal your investigations. Should the cop be able to post his investigation results in the twilight? I'd say definitely not. It effectively confirms some people unfairly. I'd say 'no' to the first point in cases like that.

This actually had the potential to occur recently in Open 46. Knowing what was likely to happen, I tried to keep an eye on the thread and lock it as soon as I saw the hammer in order to prevent a "deathbed confession". As Flay said, there's not really much you can do if the cop decides to post results after being lynched, but as a mod I will always try to prevent it from occurring since I think it falls firmly into the "bad play" category. In this case, the cop had plenty of chances to claim before being lynched anyway.
It's not the mod's place to decide what's "good play" or "bad play". Bad
form
, perhaps, but that should be accounted for in the rules. I don't see anything wrong with a "deathbed confession", either mechanically or flavourfully - but equally I don't feel I have any responsibility as mod to allow some time for discussion after a lynch is reached.
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:03 am

Post by Oman »

If I'm scum and I get lynched I'm gonna do my best to draw out the cop/doc/other powerrole by posting things. I prefer not to falseclaim after I've been lynched, but I have done if for giggles.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
Erg0
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Erg0
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:26 am

Post by Erg0 »

Seol wrote:
Erg0 wrote:

It's not the mod's place to decide what's "good play" or "bad play". Bad
form
, perhaps, but that should be accounted for in the rules. I don't see anything wrong with a "deathbed confession", either mechanically or flavourfully - but equally I don't feel I have any responsibility as mod to allow some time for discussion after a lynch is reached.
I couldn't think of the right way to put that - I agree, "bad form" is closer to what I meant.
"You were doing well until everyone died."
V/LA most weekends.
Scigatt
Scigatt
Goon
Scigatt
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:17 pm

Post by Scigatt »

IMO, as I like to say it,
All's fair in twilight
. So long as none of the game or site rules are broken and the votes-unvotes are uncounted, any player(including the one to be lynched) can make any number of posts to advance their position. This includes but is not limited to claims, fake claims, counterclaims, announcing scumbuddies(real or fake). The use and reading of twilight posts should be a part of every players tactical tool-belt.
XReyoX
XReyoX
Goon
XReyoX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:58 pm

Post by XReyoX »

In my game,

Why don't you do a poll? :)
Lawrencelot
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Lawrencelot
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:20 pm

Post by Lawrencelot »

Players may talk until the thread is locked, unless stated otherwise.
Leaving mafiascum temporarily or not due to circumstances
XReyoX
XReyoX
Goon
XReyoX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:01 pm

Post by XReyoX »

I think it is quite important that the lynchee shouldn't be allowed to talk once he is hammered, because a cop can reveal his results knowing he will certainly die but before he actually die.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Post by Seol »

XReyoX wrote:I think it is quite important that the lynchee shouldn't be allowed to talk once he is hammered, because a cop can reveal his results knowing he will certainly die but before he actually die.
So?

I don't see why this, or any instance of "last words", is a bad thing.
XReyoX
XReyoX
Goon
XReyoX
Goon
Goon

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 pm

Post by XReyoX »

I'd prefer having the player decide whether he should roleclaim and reveal his targets/results before the lynch. I don't think players who don't want to reveals stuff unless he is certain of his death should try and catch the twilight zone for his last words. Unless the twilight is alway at the same length.
gorckat
gorckat
Mafia Scum
gorckat
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:20 am

Post by gorckat »

I'm planning on using:
rough draft rules wrote:-Until I have counted the votes and posted their death scene and role reveal, all players including the lynchee may continue to post. Once I have posted a vote count indicating a player is lynched, they are dead and are not to post anything else at all, not even a "Bah!" post.
I thought this over and decided its not the player's job to decide the day is over. It's the mod that locks the thread and posts the death scene, role reveal, night deadline, etc...

Toss in bungled vote counts, missed unvotes or w/e and the players should just play the game and PM the mod if they think there's an issue.
Mr Stoofer
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Mr Stoofer
Less than scum
Less than scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:27 am

Post by Mr Stoofer »

This threadestablished that if the Mod doesn't say anything to the contrary in the rules, then players may talk freely in Twilight.
Seol
Seol
Logical Rampage
Seol
Logical Rampage
Logical Rampage

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:34 am

Post by Seol »

gorckat wrote:Toss in bungled vote counts, missed unvotes or w/e and the players should just play the game and PM the mod if they think there's an issue.
That, and also the possibility of private votes, lynch cancellers, varying lynch thresholds etc - mechanics that affect when you have a lynch which not all players are aware of, and are perfectly viable mechanics - and you can see that even a perfect player is occasionally going to be wrong about when you have a lynch.

edit: This is why only the mod should ever declare when there's a lynch majority, which means only the mod can say if you have Twilight. Unless Twilight's a
mechanic,
it's an arbitrary and unhelpful concept.

Return to “Mafia Discussion”