Newbie 892 - The Future of Magic. Game Over! Mafia Win

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Newbie 892 - The Future of Magic. Game Over! Mafia Win

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:51 am

Post by Haylen »

Newbie 892 - The Future of Magic.

Welcome to Riverside Village homeland of Hayl, a young sorceress whose future is uncertain at present. You see, ever they arrived in the village, there have been deaths; aweful ones. And it is the innocents who suffer.

Once a night, for the past month, people had been turning up dead in the village square. There were rumours flying around, rumours that they mafia had finally managed to infiltrate the village people. Two people amongst you are traitors, members of the mafia, those who have been commiting the recent murderous acts.

It is up to you, future sorcerers, potential students at The Temple (The most prestigious school of magic in the world) to work out and destroy those who are causing such heartache within the Village.

It is up to you 9 to save the village and possibly the future of magic itself.

Alive and Kicking

RayFrost (SE)
Yosarian2 (IC)

Suffering from a bad case of dead

Cdubs - Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day One

Jackabomb - Vanilla Townie, NK'd Night One

Dimada - Vanilla Townie, Lynched Day Two

The Tracker - Vanilla Townie, Killed Night Two

Easjo682 - Doctor, Lynched Day Three

LordChronos - Vanilla Townie, Endgamed

Doctor - Cop, Endgamed

JordanA24/J-Fox is my backup mod
Last edited by Haylen on Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 19 times in total.
Seriously. Read your role PM before playing.
I am sorry if you have to prod me, I have absolutely no concept of time.

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:33 am

Post by Haylen »

Haylen's Rules (Cross referenced with Incognito and Vi's rules to makes sure she got everything.)

During the Day...

The game is a Day Start.
You must bold your votes as such
Vote: Battle Mage
, please put the unvote where I can see it though, at the bottom of the post preferably. Unvoting makes me happy, but isn't completely necessary.
Each Day will have a deadline of 3 weeks, not reaching a majority of votes during that time will result in a no lynch. I may extend the deadline in special circumstances. I may also reduce the deadline by one day each time if activity does not pick up. Don't lurk. Lurking makes me sad :cry:
Mafia may not speak to each other during the day, lest you be smited.
You may not quote your role PM's or any other communication outside thread, with the mod. Lest you be smited.
I don't like cheaters.
(a)
Anybody who is found to be using invisible text, spoiler tags or anything as such will be smited unless they have an extremely good reason. Not knowing is not a good reason.
(b)
If you have the power to edit yours or anyone elses posts. Dont. Lest you be smited.
If you do not post within 72 hrs, you will receive a prod. Failure to response to the prod within 72 hrs will result in an automatic replacement. Three prods with result in an automatic replacement aswell.
If you don't post for a whole game day, you'll be forcibly replaced.

During Twilight

Votes and unvotes will not be counted after a lynch.
The person lynched may still talk during Twilight.
4. Mafia still can't talk during this time.

During the Night Phase

The Night Phase will last 72 hrs. I like this number. Any actions that have not been received by then will be forgone. (Night may end early if all actions are received)
If your role permits it, you may talk to the players I have given you permission to talk to during the night.
Mafia, whoever sends in the kill, don't try and kill your partners, I will not be messed with.
Don't try and impersonate the mafia by sending me fake action PM's, I will not appreciate it, and you will be smited.

General Rules

I will not accept insulting behaviour in my games, anybody doing so will receive a nice, well worded warning from me in thread. Further breaking of the rule will receive a harsher punishment.
Blue is my colour. Dont use any kind of blue in your posts, I will count it as impersonating the mod and you will be smited. Sometimes I like to edit your posts, if I do I'll use my colour.
Never talk to anybody outside the game except if your role permits it, and I have told you you can talk now.
Don't piss off the mod. You will be smited.
If you think you have found a loophole with my rules, you haven't. I will recognise a loophole breakage and punish you accordingly.
Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills', means I kill you immediately (for breaking the rules) and change your role to Neutral Survivor, meaning you auto-lose. Smitings (AKA) 'Modkills' automatically end the day. Period.
Play to win, just like everyone else. Don't get disheartened if you're lynched or attacked, basically don't take anything personally. If you feel somebodies behaviour has been inappropriate PM me about it and I will deal with it in some form or another.
Thy mod is thy godess...however, I may make a mistake, if I do; PM me about it and I'll deal with it in some form or another.
If you need help PM me...or AIM me, I'm always online (except when I'm sleeping, or in a lecture.)
The mod is afraid of ghosts, don't post when you're dead, you will scare her. Leave it to end game discussion...
Treat this game as a commitment, and be courteous to your fellow players. It will make everybody, including your mod happy. Smile
It is my prerogative to change the rules if I deem it necessary, you shall receive a notification in thread and a PM aswell to notify you of these changes.
I like receiving PM's, if anybody fancies PMing me for a chat or rant go for it. I can't talk about game specifics though, obv obv.

IC'sIC's are Inexperienced Challenged players, they are here to help you learn to play the game correctly. If you have any game or theory related questions, they will be happy to help you. If, however, you need help understanding your role or something role specific, you should PM me.

They must follow the roles set out in the Being a Good IC wiki page.

You may also find useful information on theory ect on the MafiaScum Wiki.

Mafia is a game of honor. Cheating is breaking the honor code you committed to when you joined this site.

And lastly...have fun! :D

My prefered pronoun set is "cie/cir/cirs[elf]" but they is more than acceptable.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 am

Post by Haylen »

The game will use
one
of these 4 setups, I can't tell you which it is though :p but I did randomize it using random.org. Please note, it is rare that you will come across one of these setups in a non Road to Rome game, so please prepare yourself for changes in rules, roles and setups when you sign up to other games.

Possible Setups

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
1 Cop
1 Doc
5 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Cop
6 Townies

OR

2 Mafia Goons
1 Doc
6 Townies

OR

1 Mafia Goon
1 Mafia Roleblocker
7 Townies

Possible Role PMs

Mafia Aligned

Mafia GoonYou are a
Mafia Goon
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon/Mafia Roleblocker, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team.

You win when the mafia are the majority of players in the game or nothing can prevent the same.

Mafia Role BlockerYou are a
Mafia Roleblocker
, one of the 'baddies' of the city. You are one of the people who have been committing murder in the village. Along with your partner [playername] who is a Mafia Goon, you must hide amongst the townies by day and kill them off at night.

During the night, you can talk with your partner in [this] quicktopic, you can then send me a message as to who you wish to night kill as a team. You also have the ability to roleblock one player per night - this means if they have any night actions, they will not be inaffective.

Note: If the goon dies, the Role Blocker can send in both the role block and the mafia kill. But the goon cannot send in a role block if the role blocker dies.

Town Aligned

CopYou are a
Cop
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of one player you wish to investigate via Private Message. You will get one of the following results:

Innocent - This means they are town.
Guilty - This means they are mafia.
Inspection Unsuccessful - Meaning you have been roleblocked.

You win with the town, when all threats to the town have been eliminated.

Note: The only type of cop used in these setups are Sane Night Cops, they're the most common types of cop

DocYou are a
Doc
, on the side of the town. During the day, you may vote to decide who you think is mafia. When it is night, you may send me the name of a player you wish to protect at night. This means that that player will be protected from mafia night kills, unless you have been roleblocked.

Note: Only Sane Doc's are used in these setups.

Vanilla TownieYou are a
Vanilla Townie
, the only thing you have in the game is your vote and mind.

Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:11 am

Post by Haylen »

Day One Begins!

The First Vote count!!!

Not voting: LordChronos; easjo682; The Tracker; cdubs; Doctor; dimaba; RayFrost (SE); Jackabomb (SE); Yosarian2.

Lots of Love,
Hayl

PS. Anyone who hasn't done so yet, should go to the mafiascum wiki page and type their name into the search box ;)

easjo682
easjo682
Goon
easjo682
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:23 am

Post by easjo682 »

Hey guys, I'm Jo and this is my first mafia game, can't wait for this to get kicked off!
The Tracker
The Tracker
Goon
The Tracker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:23 am

Post by The Tracker »

Okay, first I want to thank Haylen for setting up a Wiki page for everyone who hasn't made one yet.

Second, since the flavor role is a sorcerer I'll use my level 11 Storm Sorcerer from my RL DnD game. Expect to be (harmlessly) lightning'd.

And third,
vote: Doctor
. Roleclaiming with a username is always scummy. And since there are no Trackers in this game, I circumvent the rule.

Oh, and nice to meet everyone.^^ Now let the RVS begin!
In the grand scheme of things, wins and losses are pointless. But I'm not the grand scheme, so die scum!

Yes, I have a wiki page. No, I'm not linking you to it.
easjo682
easjo682
Goon
easjo682
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:33 am

Post by easjo682 »

I use my third level sorcerer spell, Phantom Steed, cause lets face it who doesn't want a horse that doesn't technically exist on this plain for an hour?
The Tracker
The Tracker
Goon
The Tracker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 am

Post by The Tracker »

I am not impressed, good sir. When I activate my 6th level Daily Sparkform, I simply turn into a shower of sparks and move twice my speed. Tis fun.
In the grand scheme of things, wins and losses are pointless. But I'm not the grand scheme, so die scum!

Doctor
Doctor
Townie
Doctor
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:53 am

Post by Doctor »

The Tracker wrote:Okay, first I want to thank Haylen for setting up a Wiki page for everyone who hasn't made one yet.

Second, since the flavor role is a sorcerer I'll use my level 11 Storm Sorcerer from my RL DnD game. Expect to be (harmlessly) lightning'd.

And third,
vote: Doctor
. Roleclaiming with a username is always scummy. And since there are no Trackers in this game, I circumvent the rule.

Oh, and nice to meet everyone.^^ Now let the RVS begin!
Actually it is not an attempt to roleclaim at all, just the name of the Doctor, if you are not familiar with Doctor Who then look it up, merely a reference, actually he dosnt really do physician work anyway more or less a scientist. :P

Of course I assume you jest due to mentioning the RVS.

With that out of they way would anyone care for a Jelly Baby?

Secondly would anyone like a
Would you like a Jelly Baby?
easjo682
easjo682
Goon
easjo682
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:57 am

Post by easjo682 »

damn, my horse is of no compare! I cannot keep up and have not reached a higher level yet to do more amazing feats and spells...

Til we meet again wiser spellcaster... farewell

Vote: Jackabomb

cause i'm sure at least one (SE) is a mafiascum
The Tracker
The Tracker
Goon
The Tracker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 am

Post by The Tracker »

Doctor wrote:Of course I assume you jest due to mentioning the RVS.
Indeed I do.
easjo682 wrote:cause i'm sure at least one (SE) is a mafiascum
Mmm...I'm actually hoping this is an RVS vote because this is a very bad logical fallacy. Last game I was in a newbie and IC were scum. There are just so many combinations of scumbuddies that even when playing the numbers the SE's are just as likely to be scum as anybody else.

Doctor
Doctor
Townie
Doctor
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:10 am

Post by Doctor »

The Tracker wrote:
Indeed I do.
Mmm...I'm actually hoping this is an RVS vote because this is a very bad logical fallacy. Last game I was in a newbie and IC were scum. There are just so many combinations of scumbuddies that even when playing the numbers the SE's are just as likely to be scum as anybody else.
I quite agree there are 9 people playing, two are scum, and only 2 (SE) and 1 (IC) which leaves 6 other possible scum, bad reasoning I must say if it is not a random vote.
Doctor
Doctor
Townie
Doctor
Townie
Townie

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:13 am

Post by Doctor »

Doctor wrote:
The Tracker wrote:
Indeed I do.
I quite agree there are 9 people playing, two are scum, and only 2 (SE) and 1 (IC) which leaves 6 other possible scum, bad reasoning I must say if it is not a random vote.
It appears there is not an IC upon rereading haylen's post, unless she forgot to add the tag.

Oops, sorry, I must've deleted the (IC) when I was editting the other tags :oops: ~ Hayl

If thats not the case then it lowers it even further, though ruling out such a possibility simply based on odds would also be foolish.
easjo682
easjo682
Goon
easjo682
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:14 am

Post by easjo682 »

of course its a random vote, there's nothing much to go on yet, I just forgot to add RVS after it. sorry
The Tracker
The Tracker
Goon
The Tracker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:14 am

Post by The Tracker »

The IC is Yosarian2. Haylen just forgot to add the tags, but we definitely have an IC.

Doctor
Doctor
Townie
Doctor
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:21 am

Post by Doctor »

The Tracker wrote:The IC is Yosarian2. Haylen just forgot to add the tags, but we definitely have an IC.
What I figured, if I recall newbie games are required to have one, but I digress from the issue at hand really.

Vote: dimaba

Might as well vote on someone that hasn't been voted on.
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:51 am

Post by LordChronos »

Hello everyone, I'm LordChronos, or LC, or Chronos, or whatever else you can type as long as it 's not an insult. This will be my first game of forum mafia, though I have read through 5 or 6 other games on this site. Since it looks like we are starting off with random voting, I guess I might as well make a vote.

Vote: cdubs
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:03 am

Post by LordChronos »

@Doctor, Tracker

How much experience do you two have?
I'm a talking computer.
Haylen
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Haylen
Life of the Third Party
Life of the Third Party

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:30 am

Post by Haylen »

The First Vote count!!!

Doctor: The Tracker
Jackabomb: Easjo682
Dimaba: Doctor
cdubs: LordChronos

Not voting: cdubs; dimaba; RayFrost (SE); Jackabomb (SE); Yosarian2.

Lots of Love,
Hayl

PS. Opinions on my new avatar?
Last edited by Haylen on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Tracker
The Tracker
Goon
The Tracker
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:31 am

Post by The Tracker »

I played Mafia on another forum, but they basically used random lynches and Cop following to win. Needless to say, scum usually won. I played one Newbie game here so far.

LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:38 am

Post by LordChronos »

@Tracker

That definitely doesn't sound like a recipe for success for town.

@Haylen

The avatar is nice. I think your vote count is messed up though.

It has everyone listed as not voting.

*facepalm* I'll edit it now, teach me not to rush things... ~Hayl
I'm a talking computer.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:28 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

Hello, everyone.

Vote:dimaba
because she hasn't posted yet.

Tracker: I'd be careful joking about stuff like roleclaims if I were you. I can tell you were just kidding around as part of the random vote stage, but even joking about "someone roleclaiming doctor" can end badly.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie
Doctor
Doctor
Townie
Doctor
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:32 am

Post by Doctor »

@Doctor, Tracker

How much experience do you two have?
I currently have no experience, I've read a few games and have watched friends play, thats about it.
LordChronos
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
LordChronos
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:03 am

Post by LordChronos »

Yosarian2 wrote:I'd be careful joking about stuff like roleclaims if I were you. I can tell you were just kidding around as part of the random vote stage, but even joking about "someone roleclaiming doctor" can end badly.
How can it end badly? Sorry if this is a dumb question. :)
I'm a talking computer.
Yosarian2
Yosarian2
(shrug)
Yosarian2
(shrug)
(shrug)

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:13 am

Post by Yosarian2 »

LordChronos wrote:
Yosarian2 wrote:I'd be careful joking about stuff like roleclaims if I were you. I can tell you were just kidding around as part of the random vote stage, but even joking about "someone roleclaiming doctor" can end badly.
How can it end badly? Sorry if this is a dumb question. :)
Well, people can react to a comment like that in ways that might tip the scum off that they are, or are not, the doctor. The scum always are trying to figure out who the town power roles are (if they exist) so they can kill them off quickly.

If someone is a doctor, they'll tend to react differently to a doc claim then a non-doctor would (since if person A is doctor, and person B claims doctor, person A knows person B is lying).

Even just joking about a doctor, or anything like that, can give hints, either hints from the person making the joke, or hints based on how other people react to a joke.
I want us to win just for Yos' inevitable rant alone. -CrashTextDummie

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”