Delete this

This forum is for discussion about anything else.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Delete this

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:23 pm

Post by sorasgoof »

I am severely disappointed in the quality of users here on mafiascum. Please delete this thread.
Last edited by sorasgoof on Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:55 pm

Post by Porochaz »

Its acceptable, so I wouldn't worry about that. What I would say though is you might be likely to get a few harsh critics especially as its your first post in GD (generally its better to slowly get yourself known by posting a few times in other threads first).

That being said, you got my curiosity. However having watched your 8.26 video, I'm not 100% sure on the purpose of it? Is it a walkthrough guide or just letting people see you play and then once thats answered it's not exactly new ground, I mean you give me the best part of a day I believe I could complete Mario 64 but Ive had it for about 13/14 years now. I don't really understand why you would spend time playing it outwith the n64 environment and make videos of yourself talking about it. I'm sorry if Im sounding harsh to you, but A. I don't see a point and B. Its easier to give you feedback if you were to supply one.

Also INSANE visual quality is a bit of a wrong 'un. Your videoing an N64 game, therefore you may have the best recording equipment in the world, its not going to make your video look any better. The quality is good for a recording of an emulated N64 game, just as your microphone/audio was quite good but definately not insane. Insane quality to me suggests that you are filming the video of yourself doing this and you are talking to me as if you are sitting next to me on my horrible brown sofa, whilst a 24 piece band are playing around about me. Don't set yourself up for a fall before you've even begun. You will find critics (especially here) will be harsher for you if you big yourself up to much.

That all being said, it wasn't bad. You could do with maybe fast forwarding through the introduction, it's not needed. Get straight to the playing and I don't mean start from outside every time you start. If your doing a level in Thwomps Fortress (the name of the second level by the way) then start there! The whole first few minutes weren't needed and were quite dull. We don't need to see you playing with Mario's face unless you say, "you can do this"

If it was a walkthrough then you should be taking the best routes and even if it's not, you should be aware that some things could be boring for us to watch, (ie. you running up the hill with the red coin whilst you are babbling away), you need to keep it moving, especially later on when you are going back to some of the same spaces, you might want to consider recording it then adding the audio and speeding up the bits where you have been before. Still seeing what your doing but moving a bit faster.

Your babbling was okay and you did keep me interested till the end but all the info you gave at the end could have been given throughout the video, that way we don't have to sit through the last 30 seconds of you somersaulting in the hall.

tl dr. Cut the unnecessary bits, dont big yourself up too much, make sure what your saying is relevant and make sure you have a point for doing it.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Post by sorasgoof »

Thank you for your feedback, though you'd be very hard-pressed to find another video with higher video or audio quality. Even recording straight from an N64 often provides lower quality videos, even with an HD PVR. I'm sure there are higher quality videos, but it is relatively excellent quality.

As for making sure what I say is relevant, I do need to work on that. It's a little hard to play a game and think of intelligent things to say at the same time, if you know what I mean. :D

But seriously, I do appreciate the feedback.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Post by JDodge »

sorasgoof wrote:Thank you for your feedback, though you'd be very hard-pressed to find another video with higher video or audio quality. Even recording straight from an N64 often provides lower quality videos, even with an HD PVR. I'm sure there are higher quality videos, but it is relatively excellent quality.

As for making sure what I say is relevant, I do need to work on that. It's a little hard to play a game and think of intelligent things to say at the same time, if you know what I mean. :D

But seriously, I do appreciate the feedback.
I haven't watched yet, but my only advice is that you
shut up about the quality already
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:30 pm

Post by sorasgoof »

I'd kindly ask you to please be a little more respectful. I mentioned it once in the OP, and I was responding to a point about it made by someone giving me feedback. Thanks.
Porochaz
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Porochaz
Oh, Prozac
Oh, Prozac

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Post by Porochaz »

By the way, your bold tags do not work in your sig.
Mostly retired. Unless you ask or it's something interesting.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:33 pm

Post by sorasgoof »

I know, I just haven't removed them.
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:45 pm

Post by DemonHybrid »

To clear some things up

A Lets Play is a video youtube series on a certain game. It is a complete playthrough and commentary by the person playing it. That simple.

That being said, I note a few things wrong.

1. You advertised it here
2. You advertised it at all
3. Your game choice.

As for #1 and #2, a Lets Play isn't something you shove into peoples' faces. It's something that they need to be interested in, perhaps a game they haven't played before or just looking for some funny commentary to a game they have played before. General Chat is a bad place for this, and Mafiascum is a bad place for this, unless it is in the video game thread, and even then, most people won't be interested.

As for #3, I look at Lets Plays for games I haven't beaten, haven't played or can't beat. And the commentary needs to be funny, REALLY funny. It's gotta make me want to watch FOR the commentary. I'm more inclined to look at Lets Plays of stuff like Eversion, I Wanna Be The Guy and Kaizo Mario over Super Mario 64, Star Fox, or whatever. Look for rare or hard games and do lets plays of them and -intentionally- get sidetracked in your speech, so long as it's funny. Continuously talking about the game makes the commentary boring, so talk about it when something happens, and explain yourself and your action. Then go back to the funny off-topic commentary.
This account is no longer being used.

You want this one.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Lighten up, dammit. The guy is just asking for some feedback.

It's not like we have a videogame forum and there have been plenty of threads before where people have posted links to their work and asked for constructive criticism on it. This just happens to be a little more obscure than a poem or a musical performance.
JDodge
JDodge
Accept it
JDodge
Accept it
Accept it

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 pm

Post by JDodge »

HackerHuck wrote:Lighten up, dammit. The guy is just asking for some feedback.

It's not like we have a videogame forum and there have been plenty of threads before where people have posted links to their work and asked for constructive criticism on it. This just happens to be a little more obscure than a poem or a musical performance.
Indeed. How dare you people give him feedback when he asked for feedback. What is wrong with you all?
stream

ffxiv/speedrunning sometimes/other things?
Oman
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
Oman
NK Immune Miller Vig
NK Immune Miller Vig

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Post by Oman »

HH, the problem is the way it's presented. Anyway, I agree with Jdodge, the first thing that jumped out was how proud you were of the video quality. To which I, certainly no techhead, would say "Ummm...cool?" Bad quality video doesn't really make or break an LP. DemonHybrid is also right about the commentary being what makes it. Games aren't really made to be watched, with no input from the gamer (except Final Fantasy's 40hrs lost watching my character auto-play) so the interaction comes from the commentary. You need to make the viewer feel like you're talking
to
them more rather than about something and they're just listening.

The first four minutes was boring. I (and almost everyone else) has played Super Mario 64. It was re-released on DS so now my mum has played it. You added nothing to the experience. That is my criticism: unentertaining. "I'm not good at jokes" was never going to be a good start.
It's unfortunate that good oral sex excuses bad chemistry. - Korts
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:53 pm

Post by DemonHybrid »

Here, watch this, soras. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2c6xtmF ... re=related

Listen to how much of a crap this guy sounds like he gives. Not at all. But why do we laugh at it?

You want this one.
HackerHuck
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
HackerHuck
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:42 pm

Post by HackerHuck »

Read the full post guys. I wasn't commenting on the quality of the feedback, rather DemonHybrid's comments that he shouldn't be posting something like this here.
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Post by DemonHybrid »

....and he shouldn't. Like I said, MAYBE in the video game topic. Lets Plays aren't something that should be advertised, or it seems like you're trying too hard.

You want this one.
Hoopla
Hoopla
Hoopla

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Post by Hoopla »

Soars, if you start playing Super Mario Bros. 3, or a hacked version of that game, I will watch and give you feedback.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:52 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Actually, as a Let's Play, you're doing well as far as I can tell, there's very very few LP'ers around that are even worth listening to (I hadn't heard the guy Demon linked to, but I might check him out as he sounds funny, rather than the type of guy who deserves shooting in the face with a shotgun). The only one I really pay attention to is ssskinner. Her Let's Play of Claymates is pretty damned hilarious, and her voice doesn't make me want to strangle her.

However, you would probably be better off doing LPs of games that are less likely to be mainstream. Mario and Zelda are great games by all rights and purposes... but they're not the type of game I need or want to watch someone else play, not unless said person is making a deliberate attempt to fuck about with the game and cause as many bugs and crashes as possible.

So I'd say feel free to finish the Mario 64 LP by all means, but expect less people to care about it as a whole than if you were to play either a less well known game, or a game people find tough to beat.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor
Pronoun: he/him

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:56 am

Post by VP Baltar »

DemonHybrid wrote:....and he shouldn't. Like I said, MAYBE in the video game topic. Lets Plays aren't something that should be advertised, or it seems like you're trying too hard.
Asking for advice =/= advertisment
YOUR AD HERE

Too busy with work to play mafia right now but I shall return some day!
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:04 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Nah, it was definitely a way of advertising it on here. but fuck it, so what? If nobody gives a shit it'll fade into obscurity soon enough anyway.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:13 am

Post by VP Baltar »

I dont' think it's advertisement anymore than anyone else coming on these boards and saying "I like XXX thing, what do you think?" Which happens quite often. It's not like he's making money off of it or anything, which is essentially the heart of the advertisement concept.
YOUR AD HERE

PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:16 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Yeah, but someone saying "I like XXX thing" (and there's plenty of XXX things I like... *ahem*) isn't saying "Hey I made this come look", you don't actively need to make money to be able to advertise to begin with. Just wanting people to see what you are doing is enough.
VP Baltar
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
VP Baltar
he/him
Survivor
Survivor

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:40 am

Post by VP Baltar »

You don't have to make something to advertise for it. For instance, my friend recently released a record and I basically placed an advert for it in the music dump thread. I would consider that advertising even though I didn't make it, difference being you can choose to purchase the record if you'd like. I think we just have different opinions about where the line between sharing and advertising is.
YOUR AD HERE

PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:51 am

Post by PranaDevil »

Maybe, but he's still asking for people to come and view what he's done, ergo he's advertising it. The only reason to post LP's is to get people to go and watch them. It's not getting critiqued so that he can go on to maybe later do something more with it. It's purely to get geeks like us lot over there to go and watch the video, and maybe gain some feedback too. But like I say, there's nothing wrong with that either, nor should there be. Though I would suggest, maybe, bunging it in the sig instead of creating a huge topic. You can always ask people to PM thoughts and feedback that way.
sorasgoof
sorasgoof
Goon
sorasgoof
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:40 am

Post by sorasgoof »

I'm sorry I asked for feedback. Mods, if you see this, please delete this thread. I knew I didn't like mafiascum that much anyway. People here aren't, in all honesty, that helpful. Thanks to those who actually gave constructive criticism and
were
actually trying to help.
DemonHybrid
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
DemonHybrid
And Another Thing...
And Another Thing...

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:44 am

Post by DemonHybrid »

sorasgoof wrote:I'm sorry I asked for feedback. Mods, if you see this, please delete this thread. I knew I didn't like mafiascum that much anyway. People here aren't, in all honesty, that helpful. Thanks to those who actually gave constructive criticism and
were
actually trying to help.
Don't take what I said badly, as it was all 100% constructive criticism. Those are just my personal thoughts, but I really urge you to keep going with it. Let me know of your progress by PM or in the video game thread. Also, Hoopla is wise in the way that you should play a Mario 3 hack or something original to keep us interested over Super Mario 64, cause I've played it way too many times to care to see it played through again.

But really, keep your spirits high.

Also, yeah, what Prana said; keep it in the sig. You will get people to watch, promise.

You want this one.
PranaDevil
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
PranaDevil
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:48 am

Post by PranaDevil »

I'd avoid going for hacks, unless there is something really, really special about it. 99.99% of hacks are utter gash. I'd just say stick with decent games that are lesser known (or games that might not be decent by themselves, but would be entertaining to watch someone else playing).

Return to “General Discussion”