Newbie 810 - Game over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Newbie 810 - Game over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

Living Players (2)
-
Confirmed players are in bold.

12Keyblade
Mafia Goon

KittyMo ^
Mafia Roleblocker

^
- SE player.
- IC player.
The ICs are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

Dead Players (7)

Zachrulez
(replaced TheFlyingGreenMonkey),
Townie
, lynched Day 1
xRECKONERx *
Townie
, killed Night 2
Riddle
(replaced illiniguy09, Krauthammer),
Townie
, lynched Day 2
Raskol
(replaced Monsieur, reverendpsycho),
Doc
, killed Night 2
ronnieroo
Cop
, killed in Endgame
BlueRaven
Townie
, killed in Endgame
geekalicious
Townie
, killed in Endgame

12Keyblade and KittyMo
won a
perfect
game for the
Mafia
team!!

Game Links

Day 1 Lynch | Day 2 Lynch | Day 3 Lynch
Last edited by Vel-Rahn Koon on Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:59 am, edited 15 times in total.
The Newbie Queue ALWAYS needs ICs and Mods!

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:38 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

Game Rules:

General Gameplay and Etiquette:
  1. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  2. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
  3. If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
  4. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  5. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.
  6. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  7. As a general rule you should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  8. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines.
    Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
Voting, Deadlines, and Player Death:
  1. A simple majority of all living members must agree on one person for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down).
  2. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    ).
  3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Unvote: Player
    or
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes/Unvotes that are bolded correctly and are unambiguous (with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations) will count.
  6. At deadline, ½ the original number of votes will be required for a lynch. In the case of a tie, the person who first received the required number of votes will be lynched. If this number is not met, a No Lynch will occur.
    There will be no reduced number of votes in LyLo.

7. Once you have reached a simple majority no further unvoting will change someone’s fate.
  8. Once a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; the lynched player may not post during twilight but all other living players may continue to post.
  9. Once you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post.
Miscellaneous/Mechanics:
  1. Red
    or
    Purple
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small text is allowed.
  2. Votecounts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or on the 4th day of no activity. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice.
  7. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity, up to and including a Modkill. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
  9. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please post a notice to that effect in the thread.
    Treat this game as a commitment. Be considerate – don’t leave us hanging.
The Golden Rule:

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game.

Helpful Links:

Are you willing to help out? Check the Queue title to see what roles we need filled!
Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).

Vel-Rahn Koon
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Vel-Rahn Koon
Virginia's Trump
Virginia's Trump

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:55 am

Post by Vel-Rahn Koon »

All players have confirmed, it is now Day 1.

Game on!!!

5 to Lynch.
Deadline
is the end of Wednesday, July 22 (Eastern, GMT - 4).

reverendpsycho
reverendpsycho
Townie
reverendpsycho
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:47 am

Post by reverendpsycho »

VOTE: 12Keyblade

For holding up the start of the game. ;)
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c230/reverendpsycho/thatsmytitle.gif[/img]
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:27 am

Post by KittyMo »

Vote:Krauthammer

For having the funniest username. :D
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:46 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Vote: KittyMo

For not having a kitten as an avatar!
green shirt thursdays
12Keyblade
12Keyblade
Goon
12Keyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:28 am

Post by 12Keyblade »

reverendpsycho wrote:
VOTE: 12Keyblade

For holding up the start of the game. ;)
FYI, I confirmed b4 TheFlyingGreenMonkey.

Vote: reverendpsycho

We don't need a Serial Killer (Psycho) in a Newbie Game!

Good luck to all! (Except the scum. They can go die in a hole)
Join the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13797]Fluxx Tournament![/url]

[i]"Then I shall make you see... that your hopes are nothing! Nothing but a mere illusion!"[/i]
12Keyblade
12Keyblade
Goon
12Keyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:52 am

Post by 12Keyblade »

Oh, and I have questions!!!

BlueRaven
: Do you believe anything can be gleaned from anyone's random vote? Why?

geekalicious
: Do you think it would be a good idea to lynch quickly on Day 1? Why?

KittyMo
: Do you follow a "Lynch all Lurkers" policy? Why?

krauthammer
: Do you follow a "Lynch all Liars" policy? Why?

reverendpsycho

ronnieroo

TheFlyingGreenMonkey

xRECKONERx

Yes, I copied and pasted. My document with brilliant questions disappeared.
Join the [url=http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13797]Fluxx Tournament![/url]

[i]"Then I shall make you see... that your hopes are nothing! Nothing but a mere illusion!"[/i]
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:36 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

@Keyblade:

I don't follow any policies to the tee, but Lynch all Liars usually is my favorite go-to, simply because if someone lies about something, then they cannot be trusted to tell the truth later on.
green shirt thursdays
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:57 am

Post by KittyMo »

@ Reckoner:
That's actually not a bad idea, to have a kitten as an avatar. If I ever change my avatar, it'll be of my adorable kitten. :D

@ 12KeyBlade:
I don't like to lynch lurkers; I like to get them replaced. But I usually find lurking scummy. It's a pet peeve of mine.
Alt of Ariel | MafiaScum wiki volunteer contributor & sysop | Identity (Mish Mash) is back | Speakeasy Secret Santa

"plz don't swear" -- N
"Do people just not appreciate the good old wall of text anymore?" -- Cheery Dog
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:34 am

Post by geekalicious »

FYI, 12Keyblade, I think the moogle avatar is cool. And I'm not sure on my policy about quick lynches yet. This is my first mafia game, and I just really want to ride it out and see how things go.
You're just jealous 'cause my geekshake brings all the nerds to the yard.
12Keyblade
12Keyblade
Goon
12Keyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:03 am

Post by 12Keyblade »

geekalicious wrote:FYI, 12Keyblade, I think the moogle avatar is cool. And I'm not sure on my policy about quick lynches yet. This is my first mafia game, and I just really want to ride it out and see how things go.
Thanks. Never played IRL or online?

geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:04 am

Post by geekalicious »

@12Keyblade
Neither, actually.
12Keyblade
12Keyblade
Goon
12Keyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:07 am

Post by 12Keyblade »

geekalicious wrote:@12Keyblade
Neither, actually.
Ah. So a real newbie then. OK, I'll accept this for now.

[friendlyadvice] Might want to reread some old newbie games, or others. Get an idea of what people consider a "stupid idea."[/friendlyadvice]

ronnieroo
ronnieroo
Townie
ronnieroo
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:33 am

Post by ronnieroo »

Even though I only have to answer the one that was towards me, I'm going to go ahead an answer them all.
12Keyblade wrote:Oh, and I have questions!!!

BlueRaven
I actually do think that you can gather info from someones "random" vote. Some votes that are "random" are actually not random, but are carefully worded to make it look like they are. This way if a bandwagon is formed on a townie, the person can go back and say "They followed a random vote." And if no one jumps on the bandwagon they can say "It was just a random vote" Thus, yes I think some info can be found in "random" votes.

geekalicious
I think there should always be a lynch on day one. This way you get some imformation that you can go on for day two. Do I think it should be quick? No, I don't.

KittyMo
No. I prefer that lurkers are replaced.

krauthammer
I tend to not believe people in a game after they've lied once. You lie once... and I'm not going to trust anything you say for the rest of the game. So yes... I guess in a way I do, but in a way I don't.

The Qs beneth here are repeats... I cut them out to save space.

So far I see alot of voting with no reason. I know this is normal for day one, but I still dislike random votes.

I would like to ask a question now.

Everyone:
What is your general play style and how many games have you played before? (If you've played lots I just need a quick estimate 20+, 50+. 100+, etc)

My answer would be: I'm a more serious player. I don't like random votes (particularly after day one) I post only when I have something useful to say. I tend to answer all questions. I've played 50+ games on various forums.

@12Keyblade: Would you answer your own questions?
[/b]
KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:42 am

Post by KittyMo »

http://www.mafiascum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10914

Here's a nice newbie game for you to read.
BONUS! It has me in it.
BONUS! You get to see Reckoner fail at being scum. xD

"plz don't swear" -- N
12Keyblade
12Keyblade
Goon
12Keyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 am

Post by 12Keyblade »

ronnieroo wrote:Even though I only have to answer the one that was towards me, I'm going to go ahead an answer them all.
12Keyblade wrote:Oh, and I have questions!!!

BlueRaven
I actually do think that you can gather info from someones "random" vote. Some votes that are "random" are actually not random, but are carefully worded to make it look like they are. This way if a bandwagon is formed on a townie, the person can go back and say "They followed a random vote." And if no one jumps on the bandwagon they can say "It was just a random vote" Thus, yes I think some info can be found in "random" votes.

geekalicious
I think there should always be a lynch on day one. This way you get some imformation that you can go on for day two. Do I think it should be quick? No, I don't.

KittyMo
No. I prefer that lurkers are replaced.

krauthammer
I tend to not believe people in a game after they've lied once. You lie once... and I'm not going to trust anything you say for the rest of the game. So yes... I guess in a way I do, but in a way I don't.

The Qs beneth here are repeats... I cut them out to save space.

So far I see alot of voting with no reason. I know this is normal for day one, but I still dislike random votes.

I would like to ask a question now.

Everyone:
What is your general play style and how many games have you played before? (If you've played lots I just need a quick estimate 20+, 50+. 100+, etc)

My answer would be: I'm a more serious player. I don't like random votes (particularly after day one) I post only when I have something useful to say. I tend to answer all questions. I've played 50+ games on various forums.

@12Keyblade: Would you answer your own questions?
[/b]
I like you! I've played exactly one game online. IRL, over 50 (it took self restraint not to put OVER 9000!!! Oh, wait. Crap.)

My playstyle consists of careful thinking and interrogation [sic].

Why yes, I will answer my own questions!

#1: I think that 98.7% of the time, random votes are random and off-the-wall (I h8 yer avatar, your name haz too mane Z's, etc.) However, if a bandwagon takes off from a random vote, either a scum player was the first and third vote, or they were second and third.

#2: I concur that there should always be D1 lynches. I don't think they should go within hours, but as much info should be gathered as possible before lynch occurs. So 2-2.5 weeks is fine, but not much longer.

#3/4: I lightly follow Lynch all Lurker, and blatantly follow Lynch all Liars.

(BTW KittyMo, I'm reading that game. Basically to metagame you and xRECKONERx.)

KittyMo
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
KittyMo
Too Sparkly
Too Sparkly

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:50 am

Post by KittyMo »

ronnieroo wrote:
Everyone:
I've played enough on this forum to be an SE but not an IC. I've played about 15 irl games. (3 were big, long ones; the rest were short with mostly random lynchs lol)

Um, my playstyle? I talk a lot, and attempt to scumhunt. (Sometimes I totally fail at it. xD)

"plz don't swear" -- N
Krauthammer
Krauthammer
Townie
Krauthammer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:51 am

Post by Krauthammer »

12Keyblade wrote:<snip>
krauthammer
<snip>
Lynch all Liars is better than most rules, but I'm always reluctant to have simple rules for lynching removed from context. No one town should lie, but it's always possible, especially in a newbie game, that someone will be new, scared or just plain dumb. Any lying will bring my suspicion heavily onto someone, but alone it is not enough for an automatic lynch.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:29 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

Ah, yeah. That was my first game on the site. Wouldn't put too much weight on it being my meta. >.>

I have a very combative playstyle as is evidenced by most of the games on my Wiki page. This game is my seventh-ish.
green shirt thursdays
Krauthammer
Krauthammer
Townie
Krauthammer
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:36 am

Post by Krauthammer »

12Keyblade wrote:<snip>
Everyone:
What is your general play style and how many games have you played before? (If you've played lots I just need a quick estimate 20+, 50+. 100+, etc) <snip>
I've never actually played a game, either online or irl, but I have followed some online without actually participating, so it's not like I'm totally new.

As to playing style, I don't know yet, but I'm fairly cautious at the moment...
BlueRaven
BlueRaven
Goon
BlueRaven
Goon
Goon

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:11 am

Post by BlueRaven »

ronnieroo wrote:
Everyone:
Being my first game i dont have a style and before it would be 0... XD
geekalicious
geekalicious
Goon
geekalicious
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:14 am

Post by geekalicious »

Everyone: What is your general play style and how many games have you played before? (If you've played lots I just need a quick estimate 20+, 50+. 100+, etc)
Well, I naturally don't have a playstyle yet... However, in general, I tend to be meticulous and very questioning, so I'm sure that'll transfer to here.

@12Keyblade
#1: I think that 98.7% of the time, random votes are random and off-the-wall (I h8 yer avatar, your name haz too mane Z's, etc.) However, if a bandwagon takes off from a random vote, either a scum player was the first and third vote, or they were second and third.
How did you establish your idea that a random vote from the first and third or the second and third player resulting in a bandwagon means that the pair is scum?

@KittyMo
Thanks for the game link. :)
12Keyblade
12Keyblade
Goon
12Keyblade
Goon
Goon

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:57 am

Post by 12Keyblade »

geekalicious wrote:
@12Keyblade
How did you establish your idea that a random vote from the first and third or the second and third player resulting in a bandwagon means that the pair is scum?
I will explain if we accept the following caveats:
1. The hypothetical game is a Newbie Game.
2. It is D1, RVS still, and 9 alive.

FAKE GAME:

Player A (Expericenced Scum) Random Votes for Player B.
Player B Random Votes for Player C.
Player C decides to Random Vote for Player B.
Player D (NewbScum) decides "oh, bandwagon! Time to kill people!" Votes for Player B.
Player E (NewbIdiot) votes for Player B, putting him at L-2.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”