Newbie 1117(Town Wins)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1117(Town Wins)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:40 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

N
E
W
B
I
E

As the sun rises over the Smokey Mountains and your lungs filled with that Tennessee air, you hear a loud scream. Quickly everyone rushes over to find out what was wrong. You find DrMyShottyIzSik dead in a ditch. A letter is attached to his body that reads "Catch us if you can this is only the beginning". It is now up to you, the town, to catch these filthy mafia members before they over run your town and kill your children.

Living Player List
-
Confirmed players are bolded

SomeRandomGuy

Quackerz
verydark

*=Inexperience Challenged(IC)
^=Semi-Experienced(SE)

The purpose of the ICs is to help you learn. They are governed by the wiki article
Being a good IC

Dead Players

Spoiler: The roles of the Dead
Kad-VT
Haze-VT
BBmolla-VT
zMuffinMan-VT
bvoigt-Mafia RC
ToastyToats- Jail Keeper
VoidedMafia- Mafia Goon

RULES!

The MOST IMPORTANT RULE!

The purpose of this game of mafia is to have fun, please do not forget this, or ruin the fun for others. Please do not post Ad Hominem(Personal Attacks). Playing to win does not preclude being considerate of each other!

There is a ZERO tolerance policy for personal attacks in this game. I will remove you from the game (possibly without warning) if you get too personal.

General Rules/Game Etiquette

1. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. Please remember that you made a commitment to participate when you signed up to play. If you cannot fulfill this commitment, please contact the Mod and request a replacement instead of just disappearing!
  5. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
    If someone contacts you outside the game you should report it to the game Mod IMMEDIATELY.

Activity/Prods/Replacements

1. You should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  2. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or after 3 real-life days of no activity.
  3. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  4. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice (player-requested prods do not count towards this total).
  5. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please PM the Mod so that you don’t get replaced!

Deadlines
  1. All Days have a very strict dead line of three weeks.

2. Extensions are only given in extreme circumstances and have a maximum of one week in length.
  3. Nights will last 72 hours
  4. If you have a night action you must send it via PM to me, your mod, by the deadline. If I do not receive it by then via PM you will forfeit your action for that night.
  5. Deadlines may be shortened if activity is too low, or if all Night choices have been received early.

Player Actions/Voting/Player Death

1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person (via voting) for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ of the number of living players +1, rounded down). If no one has a simple majority of votes at deadline a No Lynch will occur.
  2. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Vote: [Player Name]
    ).
  3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they will not be counted (e.g.
    Unvote: [Player Name]
    or
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes/Unvotes that reasonably follow the guidelines specified above, and are unambiguous with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations, will count. Attempting to fake a vote will result in a Modkill.
  6. Once a player has reached a simple majority of votes no further unvoting will change their fate.
  7. When a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players may continue to post.
  8. If you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post that contains NO game related information.
  9. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (during the confirmation stage).
  10. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.

Miscellaneous

1. Red
    or
    Blue
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Vote counts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity (up to and including a Modkill) as the Mod sees fit.
  7. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night. The offender’s role will be changed to Neutral Survivor, which guarantees a loss.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.
  9. If you find any loop holes in the rules do not attempt to get around them.
Last edited by drmyshottyizsik on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:04 am, edited 16 times in total.
#freeShotty
drmyshottyizsik
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
drmyshottyizsik
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 am

Post by drmyshottyizsik »

ROLES!

The 2of4 setup is a test game format we’re trying out in Newbie games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

• 1 Mafia Goon
  • 1 Mafia RoleCop
  • 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 of the following (no duplicates possible): (Cop 25%, Doctor 25%, Jailkeeper 25%, Vanilla Townie 25%)
Notes
  1. The RoleCop has the option of submitting both the night kills and investigations, even when the Goon is still alive.
  2. Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the Night action PM is submitted!

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

name
(a Mafia RoleCop) and
name
(a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via QuickTopic, linked below) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill
    and who is performing the kill
    before the Night deadline.
  • The Mafia RoleCop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (Townie, Cop, Doc, or Jailkeeper).
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
  • If the Mafia RoleCop is blocked by a Town Jailkeeper then the RoleCop will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QT.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

• You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the Night deadline.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a Town Jailkeeper you will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect before the Night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night.

Mod wrote:

You are a prison guard, and it’s your job to ensure the undesireables are kept in their place.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the Night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a Night action (Investigate, Protect, or Kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a Kill that action will not resolve. Any other actions (Investigate or Protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.
#freeShotty
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:02 am

Post by SomeRandomGuy »

/confirm
Town: 2-1
-=-
Scum 1-1

Alive in: 0
Dead in: 0 : Ongoing game
bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:03 am

Post by bvoigt »

/confirm
bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:22 am

Post by bvoigt »

Hi everyone, I'll be your IC in this game. Feel free to ask me any gameplay questions you have. Here are a few useful links; I also recommend reading a few of our games, since it's one of the best ways to get a feel for how to play.

Newbie Guide
Commonly Used Abbreviations
How to Be Awesome

I'll try to lead by example, and also do more teaching as the game goes along. There are a few things I'd like to mention right away, though. First of all, never claim your role unless it's necessary. Even if you're a vanilla townie, you'll just be helping scum find power roles. The usual time to claim is when you're 1 vote away from being lynched (L-1), and someone is willing to hammer (place the lynching vote).
bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:31 am

Post by bvoigt »

Oops, I hit submit instead of preview.

Along the same lines, if someone is at L-1, don't hammer if they haven't claimed. And if you're town, never selfhammer (place the final vote on yourself). It goes against your win condition.

Finally, when there are 3 townies and 2 scum, or 2 townies and 1 scum, left, it's known as Lynch-or-Lose (LyLo). Don't vote until you're sure someone is scum, because the remaining mafia are able to quickhammer (place the last votes and win the game). This won't come up for a while, and hopefully not at all, but I wanted to say something before I forget.

Good luck, and enjoy the game!
ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:39 am

Post by ToastyToast »

/confirm

Hello everyone! I'm an SE, and will be here to answer any questions/concerns in order to assist bviogt.
Let's make this a good one!
"A train robbery is where you take a train to your destination, make your move, and take a train back, right?"-Isaac

Town: 12-10 (I think)
Mafia: 1-1
Third Party: 1-0
Alive in:0
Dead in:0
Modded: 2
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:48 am

Post by BBmolla »

/confirm
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Redcolbalt
Redcolbalt
Townie
Redcolbalt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:36 am

Post by Redcolbalt »

/confirm
0/1/0

~<{T.O.B}>~
Does Bo Know
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Does Bo Know
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Post by Does Bo Know »

/confirm

Hey, I'm Does Bo Know. When referring to me in a topic, I don't mind the full name, DBK, or simply Bo. Just make sure it's distinct.

I'm still working around in Newbie games because I need to work on my scumhunting. Or, at least I feel like I do. I'm in another Newbie game right now, and after I finish both that one and this one, I'll head on over to the real deal games and try my luck out there.

Soooooo...I'm not IC'ing, but if I happen to be more active and you have a question about Mafia in general, I'll do my best to answer. Don't ask if something is a scumtell, or if someone should be voted; you learn best through action and your own thoughts. Plus, it's only a Newbie game. Making mistakes and learning from them are what this place is for.

Have fun, everyone!
Town: 11-12; Scum: 10-4; Third-party 1-0
Haze
Haze
Mafia Scum
Haze
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Post by Haze »

/confirm
~Lu-natic.

Don't say Crazy.
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:02 am

Post by SomeRandomGuy »

Does this game start on 7 of 9 confirms or when all have confirmed?

If it was 7 of 9:

VOTE: Bbmolla
-=-
Scum 1-1

kad2361
kad2361
Goon
kad2361
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:33 am

Post by kad2361 »

/confirm
Redcolbalt
Redcolbalt
Townie
Redcolbalt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:52 am

Post by Redcolbalt »

Idk, can we vote ?
From last game i played, we waited utill mod said so. But i dont know if we follow same rules here ?_?
0/1/0

~<{T.O.B}>~
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:55 am

Post by SomeRandomGuy »

I've just been reading around on the forum / start of other games and people seem to start throwing votes around after a few confirms, if it doesn't count i'll put it back after the next mod post since according to my chart of planet alignment and star brightness in the night sky here in England it's obvious that Bbmolla is scum.
-=-
Scum 1-1

ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:58 am

Post by ToastyToast »

Since everyone has confirmed, I don't think mod would mind if we started RVS. So, vote away.
Vote: Haze
"A train robbery is where you take a train to your destination, make your move, and take a train back, right?"-Isaac

SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 am

Post by SomeRandomGuy »

ToastyToast wrote:Since everyone has confirmed, I don't think mod would mind if we started RVS. So, vote away.

You've played a few games, what do you prefer to play as, town or scum?

also to help me determining your alignment since the star chart isn't so clear on you:
You have no family, only your grandma, she buys a lottery ticket and wins big - she says she'll give her favourite and only grandson plenty of treats, you know you're in her will to take everything, do you accept her lovely treats or band with a few friends to pull off the perfect murder, popping a cap in her face so that you can receive all of the money?
-=-
Scum 1-1

bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:10 am

Post by bvoigt »

VOTE: Bbmolla

Star charts can't be wrong.
ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:11 am

Post by ToastyToast »

^^I'd like to ask the above questions to everyone.

1)Well, you can see from my record that I have played considerably more games as town, as such I have more experience at it. So, I prefer to play town.

2) Nope, i'd accept the treats. I mean, its grandma.

bvoigt
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
bvoigt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 am

Post by bvoigt »

ToastyToast wrote:^^I'd like to ask the above questions to everyone.

How do you think those questions will help determine other players' alignments?
ToastyToast
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
ToastyToast
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:31 am

Post by ToastyToast »

bvoigt wrote:

Anything that stimulates discussion gives me a look at playing style and allows people to react. I actually prefer RQS to RVS for this reason.

-Experience helps us figure out how much a player should know, whether or not the mistake is a serious one given his or her background

-Questions about morality bring about more questions

Redcolbalt
Redcolbalt
Townie
Redcolbalt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:42 am

Post by Redcolbalt »

SomeRandomGuy wrote:
ToastyToast wrote:Since everyone has confirmed, I don't think mod would mind if we started RVS. So, vote away.

You've played a few games, what do you prefer to play as, town or scum?

also to help me determining your alignment since the star chart isn't so clear on you:
You have no family, only your grandma, she buys a lottery ticket and wins big - she says she'll give her favourite and only grandson plenty of treats, you know you're in her will to take everything, do you accept her lovely treats or band with a few friends to pull off the perfect murder, popping a cap in her face so that you can receive all of the money?

Well , i only played one complete game, as town. So im gonna have to say town then.
And i would take the treats bc a long time ago if im lucky grandma would put
Some money in my bag , so my mom wouldnt take it xD
0/1/0

~<{T.O.B}>~
Redcolbalt
Redcolbalt
Townie
Redcolbalt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:43 am

Post by Redcolbalt »

ToastyToast wrote:
bvoigt wrote:

Anything that stimulates discussion gives me a look at playing style and allows people to react. I actually prefer RQS to RVS for this reason.

-Experience helps us figure out how much a player should know, whether or not the mistake is a serious one given his or her background

-Questions about morality bring about more questions

Is their like a time limit on the RVS and the RQS ?
Or are they intertwined ?
0/1/0

~<{T.O.B}>~
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 am

Post by SomeRandomGuy »

To answer my own questions:

1) I think i prefer to play town, i've played a few games off site and whilst i've enjoyed playing scum and find i'm not too terrible at it, i prefer scum hunting to hunting possible power roles within the town, it also gives me more to work out as time goes on from people's posting, i find scum to be a bit of shooting fish in a barrel.

2) I'd take the treats but probably manipulate my grandma into giving me more than she likely would have normally.

The questions open discussion, I don't like RVS all that much and feel some random questions thrown around can help out, especially starting discussion since without it, we're going no where fast, at least until after Night 1 and i'd rather not be assesing who scum killed as our first line of investigation.

Toasty, your answer to question 1 is interesting, you prefer to stick to playing town due to more experience - you like to play it safe, i wonder how that'll be reflected in your gameplay. I've a few ideas how it might and am interested to see how it plays out :)
-=-
Scum 1-1

SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
SomeRandomGuy
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:44 am

Post by SomeRandomGuy »

I think it ends once we have some leads Red.
-=-
Scum 1-1

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”