Newbie 1138 - Game Over! Town Win!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Newbie 1138 - Game Over! Town Win!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:57 am

Post by singersigner »

You awaken to the hustle and bustle of your home town’s daily activity. Little did you know that the peaceful quiet of your normal, everyday life would come crashing down today. It seems that one of your fellow citizens has angered the Mob, and has paid for it with his life! What are you going to do? Why, you’re going to get your peaceful, little town back, that’s what…

Your job, fair citizens of the town’s Ruling Council, is to discover who among you belong to the Mafia and summarily lynch them. Two of your fellow Council members are working for the Mafia - find them before they take over the Council and the town!

Player List
-
Confirmed players are listed in bold-face type

DarkClaymore

whilst

Xeras
dicknose

* = Inexperience Challenged (IC)
^ = Semi-Experienced (SE)

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.

Dead Players

BBmolla,
Vanilla Townie
lynched Day One.

Scumhunter,
Vanilla Townie
killed Night One.

cavjj,
Mafia Goon
lynched Day Two.

Honest Abel,
Vanilla Townie
lynched Day Three

Nobody Special
Wickedestjr*
Jailkeeper
killed Night Three.

I Am Innocent^,
Mafia Role Cop
lynched Day Four.

Deadline

Game!

9 Alive means 5 to Lynch

Game Links

Day 1 Lynch | Day 2 Lynch | Day 3 Lynch

Back-up Mod

AGar
Last edited by singersigner on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:23 am, edited 21 times in total.
Glork and quadz08 are my favorite.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 am

Post by singersigner »

Game Rules

>All Newbie game flavor, rules, and role pms have been adapted from Vel-Rhan Koon, newbie queue mod.<

The Golden Rule

Please remember that this is a game and your main objective is to have fun! Be considerate of each other, don’t get personal, and enjoy the game. Playing to win does not preclude being considerate of each other!

There is a ZERO tolerance policy for personal attacks in this game. I will remove you from the game (possibly without warning) if you get too personal.

General Rules/Game Etiquette

1. In order for all players to play at least one game day this game will start with a Day phase.
  2. Communication outside the thread (if your role specifically allows it) is allowed until the game begins.
  3. You may not quote private Moderator-supplied information (either real or fabricated) of any kind. Paraphrasing (for role claims, etc.) is acceptable.
  4. Please remember that you made a commitment to participate when you signed up to play. If you cannot fulfill this commitment, please contact the Mod and request a replacement instead of just disappearing!
  5. There is to be NO personal communication outside of the forum postings unless your role PM specifically allows it.
    If someone contacts you outside the game you should report it to the game Mod IMMEDIATELY.

Activity/Prods/Replacements

1. You should aim for one post every 48 hours, minimum, to keep the game moving.
  2. Prods of missing players will be issued upon request or after 3 real-life days of no activity.
  3. A prodded player has 48 hours to respond to the prod, after which time a replacement search will begin. The prodded player may re-enter the game so long as no replacement has been found.
  4. A player who has been prodded 3 times is subject to possible replacement without further notice (player-requested prods do not count towards this total).
  5. If you anticipate being unavailable for more than a 48-hour period please PM the Mod so that you don’t get replaced!

Deadlines

1. All Newbie games have strict 3-week deadlines.

[*]Extensions are given only in extreme circumstances.
[*]Nights will have a standard deadline of 72 hours.
[*]If you have a role with a Night action your choices are due to me by the posted deadline. If I do not receive your choice via PM by the posted deadline you will forfeit your actions.
[*]Deadlines may be shortened if activity is too low, or if all Night choices have been received early.[/list]

Player Actions/Voting/Player Death

1. A simple majority of all living players must agree on one person (via voting) for a Lynch to occur (simple majority = ½ # of living players +1, rounded down). If no one has a simple majority of votes at deadline a No Lynch will occur.
  2. Votes should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Vote: Player
    ).
  3. Vote revocations should be bolded or they may not be counted (e.g.
    Unvote: Player
    or
    Unvote
    ). Unvotes are not necessary before changing votes.
  4. You may
    Vote: No Lynch
    - a simple majority of these vote types are required to send the game to Night phase without a Lynch.
  5. Votes/Unvotes should be placed on a line all by themselves to make them easier for everyone to see.
  6. Votes/Unvotes that reasonably follow the guidelines specified above, and are unambiguous with respect to player nicknames/abbreviations, will count. Attempting to fake a vote will result in a Modkill.
  7. Once a player has reached a simple majority of votes no further unvoting will change their fate.
  8. When a player is lynched the game enters twilight until I post a death scene; all players may continue to post.
  9. If you are killed (either via lynch or night kill) you may no longer post except for a brief “Bah!”-type post that contains NO game related information.
  10. Roles with Night actions will not be able to submit an action on Night 0 (i.e. during the confirmation stage).
  11. Any player with a Night action may instead submit a “No Action” PM to let the Mod know that you do not want to perform your expected action that Night phase.

Miscellaneous

1. Red
    or
    Blue
    text is reserved for the Mod. No invisible/small/encrypted text is allowed.
  2. Vote counts will be posted once per page or once per day, whichever is less.
  3. If you have an issue/problem with the game, please PM the Mod privately. Do not post issues/complaints in the game thread.
  4. The Mod may make mistakes - please point out any mistakes gently. Mistakes will be corrected where possible, but sometimes mistakes are made that cannot be reversed. These will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
  5. Please bold all requests to the Mod so that they don’t get missed.

6. Rules violations will be dealt with according to their severity (up to and including a Modkill) as the Mod sees fit.
  7. Modkills may be accompanied by a change to day/night. The offender’s role will be changed to Neutral Survivor, which guarantees a loss.
  8. Any situation not explicitly covered above is subject to Mod discretion and will be handled as the Mod sees fit on a case-by-case basis.

Helpful Links:

Last edited by singersigner on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:09 am

Post by singersigner »

The 2of4 setup is a test game format we’re trying out in Newbie games to get around balance issues with the F11 setup. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen as detailed below:

• 1 Mafia Goon
  • 1 Mafia RoleCop
  • 5 Vanilla Townies
  • 2 of the following (no duplicates possible): (Cop 25%, Doctor 25%, Jailkeeper 25%, Vanilla Townie 25%)
Notes
  1. The RoleCop has the option of submitting both the night kills and investigations, even when the Goon is still alive.

[*]
Mafia must specify who is performing what Night action when the Night action PM is submitted!
[/list]

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

name
(a Mafia Role Cop) and
name
(a Mafia Goon) are part of the local Mafia crime family. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.

• During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via QuickTopic, linked below) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of who to kill
    and who is performing the kill
    before the Night deadline.
  • The Mafia RoleCop has the ability to investigate another player and learn their specific role (Townie, Cop, Doc, or Jailkeeper).
  • One of you must send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate (usually along with the kill) before the Night deadline.
  • If the Mafia RoleCop is blocked by a Town Jailkeeper then the RoleCop will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • You may communicate privately via QuickTopic with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened (this is called Night 0). Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • Please do not communicate with each other outside of the QT.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a normal townsperson, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.

• You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate before the Night deadline.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person’s guilt or innocence.
  • If you are blocked by a Town Jailkeeper you will receive a PM stating “No Result”.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.

Mod wrote:

You are a physician, and can use your medical training to protect people from harm.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect before the Night deadline.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You will not be informed as to whether your protection was successful or not.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night.

Mod wrote:

You are a prison guard, and it’s your job to ensure the undesireables are kept in their place.

• Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to send to jail before the Night deadline.
  • If the jailed player attempts to use a Night action (Investigate, Protect, or Kill), their action will not resolve.
  • If the jailed player is the target of a Kill that action will not resolve. Any other actions (Investigate or Protect) will resolve.
  • Neither you nor your target will be made aware of whether your own action was successful.
  • You may not put yourself in jail.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:11 am

Post by singersigner »

Role PMs going out. The game will begin when all players have confirmed via PM.

I like tomatoes.
singersigner
singersigner
I Got This
singersigner
I Got This
I Got This

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:30 am

Post by singersigner »

With everyone confirmed D1 begins now.

Vote Count 1.1

cavjj (0):
DarkClaymore (0):
Honest Abel (0):
whilst (0):
dicknose (0):
BBmolla (0):
I Am Innocent (0):
Scumhunter (0):
Wickedestjr (0):

Not Voting (0): Everyone!

Mod Notes:

Deadline is August 17th, 2011 3pm PST.

I like tomatoes.
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:37 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

vote honest abel

For not wanting to be my scum teammate. :wink:
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
None
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:38 am

Post by BBmolla »

Alright, I'm just gonna get some questions out just so we can get to know each other a bit.
1. How many games have you played at MafiaScum?
2. Have you played anywhere else prior to MafiaScum?
3. Do you believe in magic?
4. Know any of the other players in the game from prior games?

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, just want to get some discussion going.

Also, trust the dice roller.

VOTE: Scumhunter
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Honest Abel
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:39 am

Post by Honest Abel »

We would have been a hell of a team, one of us honest and the other innocent. It's a shame!

Let's skip the stupid discussion about how odds are slim I was chosen to be mafia on both rolls, shall we?
"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
Catch-22
cavjj
cavjj
Goon
cavjj
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:42 am

Post by cavjj »

BBmolla wrote:

1. 0 - I plan to take your breath a way with a thrilling newby game.......
2. Played a bit in school in my younger years as an experiment of a friend who wanted to try the game out at the youth group he ran
3. Of course, duh! *mutters * "Muggle"
4. Nope

Whoever posts underneath me is going to get my vote.... :D
I Am Innocent
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
I Am Innocent
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:35 am

Post by I Am Innocent »

BBmolla wrote:Alright, I'm just gonna get some questions out just so we can get to know each other a bit.

You don't have to answer if you don't want to, just want to get some discussion going.

1) This is my 16th game on this site
2) Yes, played a handful or so there as well.
3) Not sure if magic is the right word, but I do believe in miracles! :D
4) I do not think I have played with anyone before.

BBmolla wrote:Also, trust the dice roller.

VOTE: Scumhunter

Why the "truly random" vote?

Honest Abel wrote:We would have been a hell of a team, one of us honest and the other innocent. It's a shame!

lol, hadn't thought of it that way.

Honest Abel wrote:Let's skip the stupid discussion about how odds are slim I was chosen to be mafia on both rolls, shall we?

Interesting you would 1) be the one to bring this up when you say you don't want this discussed and 2) phrase it the way you do "how odds are slim"

cavjj wrote:Whoever posts underneath me is going to get my vote.... :D

Another instance of a player avoiding to determine his own choice of a vote on another player. Add in the fact that if nobody posts, the game does not progress, so why threaten the next poster?
Show
Town 21-21-1
Mafia 10-6

Replaced Out (Town) 1-5
Replaced Out (Mafia) 3-2 (incl hydra game with Nero where I flaked)

Ongoing
None
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:39 am

Post by BBmolla »

BBmolla wrote:1. How many games have you played at MafiaScum?

Forgot to answer my own questions.

1. This is technically my second, I just "finished" my first and I also replaced in another game.
2. I played, and still do, at EpicMafia. I have tried playing in real life with friends, but alas, 18 year olds would rather do illegal things than think in a game if you get me.
3. Yeah, but normally I prefer not to play a Wizard/Sorceror class. The spell sheets annoy me. A Cleric is fine though. Like a spellcaster except not a pansy.
4. I don't really recognize anyone, except maybe Scumhunter who I've seen elsewhere on the site.

Also, just a request, cav could you get an avatar? It makes you easier to see, like when rereading.

I Am Innocent wrote:Why the "truly random" vote?

Cause I don't think we can scumhunt off of an introductory post. Do you?
@thesupertriomusical on Instagram, come see it if you’re in LA area, I wrote it!
Bricktoes
Bricktoes
Mafia Scum
Bricktoes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:19 pm

Post by Bricktoes »

1. never played here
2. i've played about three or four games on another forum. good news for everybody: i've never won!
3. i know abel from the other site i've played at and elsewhere. he invited me to play here.
down
and that's the way we get down
Bricktoes
Bricktoes
Mafia Scum
Bricktoes
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:20 pm

Post by Bricktoes »

Honest Abel wrote:Let's skip the stupid discussion about how odds are slim I was chosen to be mafia on both rolls, shall we?

the odds are exactly the same each time, slim though they may be.
down
and that's the way we get down
DarkClaymore
DarkClaymore
Goon
DarkClaymore
Goon
Goon

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Post by DarkClaymore »

BBmolla wrote:Alright, I'm just gonna get some questions out just so we can get to know each other a bit.

1. First
2. Played 3 before on another forum and playing my 4th one there atm.
3. Not in RL
4. Honest Abel. From this very game which took place before this game. :lol:

For delaying the game's beginning:
VOTE: Honest Abel
cavjj
cavjj
Goon
cavjj
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:55 pm

Post by cavjj »

I Am Innocent wrote:
cavjj wrote:Whoever posts underneath me is going to get my vote.... :D

Another instance of a player avoiding to determine his own choice of a vote on another player. Add in the fact that if nobody posts, the game does not progress, so why threaten the next poster?

Not really. It was the most pure random vote I could think of. What is the likelihood of
no-one
posting? Game ends just because I put that? Slightly melodramatic methinks.

The only players I would consider voting for at the moment is Honest Abel. The first impression, the first piece of information that he wants us all to know about him, is that the odds of him being scum for the fake start and this game, twice, are slim? Hmmmmm
cavjj
cavjj
Goon
cavjj
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:56 pm

Post by cavjj »

Oh yes, so obviously

VOTE: I Am Innocent
Wickedestjr
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Wickedestjr
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:07 pm

Post by Wickedestjr »

Hello everyone. I am the IC for this game- an experienced player on the site who helps guide the newer players. Rather than tell you everything I know about the game of mafia immediately, I'm instead going to post/explain methods of scumhunting, common abbreviations, tells, tips, and tricks when they are relevant. However, if you have a question about anything regarding the game or even the site, don't be afraid to ask (even if it isn't relevant to the current situation). At the bottom of the second post by singersigner in this thread, there is a list of helpful links. Another way to learn how to play the game is by reading or glancing at some of the completed games on this site. If you do choose to look at other games I would suggest that you avoid Coney Island or the Theme Park until you have played a few games elsewhere on the site. Those sections of the forum contain theme games that often have unusual mechanics.

While it is my job to help the newer players learn how to play the game, I am still a player in the game. I have a win condition and I am going to try my best to acheive that win condition. Having said that, regardless of my allignment, I am not going to lie to you about what different abbreviations, tells, expressions, and methods of scumhunting mean.

For those of you that don't know, most games start off with what is known as the RVS or Random Voting Stage. This is where the players in the game randomly vote for eachother in order to create a serious discussion. Some players prefer the RQS or Random Questions Stage. This is where players ask eachother questions until we have a serious discussion. Since the Random Voting Stage requires us to vote, I think it is important for everyone to know how to vote. :) You can bold your vote by using the bold tags. For example:

[b*]Vote: Player A[/b] would show up as:
Vote: Player A

...when you remove the asterisk.

You can also italicize or underline a piece of text by switching the 'b's with an 'i' or a 'u' respectively. For example,

[i*]Welcome to mafiascum![/i] would show up as:
Welcome to mafiascum!

And,

[u*]Hello everyone[/u] would show up as:
Hello everyone

My access is limited at the moment, so I don't have time to say much more, but I'll try to post again in a few hours.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky"
-Wickedestjr
Honest Abel
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

1. One full newb game. I was mafia and won.
2. I've played on a couple of other non-mafia forums, but using mafiascum.net rules.
4. I've played with whilst on another forum a couple times, and I've played with dicknose on another forum once.
ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
Catch-22
Honest Abel
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:24 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

I Am Innocent wrote:

Interesting you would 1) be the one to bring this up when you say you don't want this discussed and 2) phrase it the way you do "how odds are slim
I'm an interesting fellow. What's weird about the phrasing? I tried to simply follow standard grammar. I'm an editor and a poet, just fyi. I brought it up because it seemed inevitable. It seems like every game I've played, someone's like "this guy was mafia last game, so odds are slim he's mafia this game." Just making sure nobody believes that.
dicknose wrote:

the odds are exactly the same each time, slim though they may be.
Stop trolling, dicknose.

Vote: dicknose
for trolling.
ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
Catch-22
whilst
whilst
Goon
whilst
Goon
Goon

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:02 pm

Post by whilst »

1. 0 games
2. Yes, on another forum.
3. No.
4. Yes. As he already stated, Abel and I have played on another forum.
Honest Abel
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:53 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

Does anybody care about anyone else's answers to those four questions? I feel like it was just a stupid survey and I'm never going to read anyone else's answers or think about it again.

Let's get to something a little meatier. If you were mafia and this game had actually had a Night start, who would you have killed and why?
ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
Catch-22
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:58 pm

Post by BBmolla »

Honest Abel wrote:Does anybody care about anyone else's answers to those four questions? I feel like it was just a stupid survey and I'm never going to read anyone else's answers or think about it again.

Let's get to something a little meatier. If you were mafia and this game had actually had a Night start, who would you have killed and why?

I don't like this post at all. The four questions are to get aquainted with people, because how I read people is completely different based on how experienced someone is.

You're question is absolutely pointless, considering:
A. 7/9 town is NOT mafia.
B. If there were a Night start kill, who would die would most likely be random considering half of us don't know each other.

You're giving off a "let's get down to business, enough with this tomfoolery," attitude, which in my opinion is scummy. I'm not going to be leading a lynch on you or anything as of yet, but I've got my eye on you.
Honest Abel
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

I understand that your questions are trying to get people to talk. They got people to answer the questions survey style, which isn't interesting to me.

My question, on the other hand, is designed to force mafia to say things they might not want to have to say. Each time they're forced to talk about what they would do in certain situations, they face the choice of whether or not they should lie. And keeping a series of lies straight over the course of a game puts more pressure on the guilty party than allowing them to coast through having only to answer questions about magic. And when people are under pressure, they get sloppy. It doesn't matter whether or not the mafia know my intentions. They will be forced to answer along with everyone else if everyone else also answers. I think this is one of the most effective avenues for putting blanket pressure on mafia.
ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
Catch-22
Honest Abel
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Honest Abel
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:07 pm

Post by Honest Abel »

Also, there are a number of motivations mafia would consider when choosing to kill someone before a game starts. The level of experience being the main factor. Everyone knows that there are SEs and an IC in this game. Well, would you kill one of the more experienced players, or kill some nobody?
ÔÇöJoseph Heller,
Catch-22
BBmolla
BBmolla
Open Book
BBmolla
Open Book
Open Book

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:08 pm

Post by BBmolla »

But your question is pointless because it puts people in the shoes of the mafia, which the mafia are already in, so they have no need to lie.
Also, killing more experienced players gives us no info it just shows that we understand the obvious.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”