Newbie 994: Stop! In the Name of Sudo! Game Over!

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Newbie 994: Stop! In the Name of Sudo! Game Over!

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:29 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

And also the law, because there's been a murder in this town, and the only way it's going to be resolved is with vigilante mob justice!

Deadline is September 13!

Alive:
tanstalas
seth

Beanman
Hollyquin

Applefarmer
maxmatsu

Debonair Danny DiPietro (IC)

(IC means Inexperience Challenged, SE means Semi-Experienced, and names in bold means they have confirmed.)

Dead:
warriormode
Townie
, Lynched Day One.
dimaba (SE)
Townie
, Killed Night One.
DavidParker
needle
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day Two.
theperson (SE)
Cop
, Killed Night Two.
SnakePlissken
Volo
iamatree
Mafia Goon
, Lynched Day Three.
Last edited by Sudo_Nym on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 14 times in total.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:30 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

Rules post:
1. First and foremost, this is a game, and that means everyone is supposed to have fun.
2. Days last for three weeks, or until a majority vote for a lynch has been reached. Votes must be bolded- e.g.
Vote: Sudo_Nym
Luckily, this is now automatic, using vote tags.
3. For ease of bookkeepping, please unvote (e.g.
Unvote
) before changing your vote to somebody else. It isn't absolutely required, but is much appreciated.
4. If no majority is reached within the three week time limit, then it goes down as a no lynch, so I suggest you be active.
5. I reserve the right to shorten the deadline to encourage activity, as necessary, or to extend the deadline under special circumstances, but don't expect it to happen.
6. The mafia gets to kill one person every night. I don't care who submits the kill to me, so long as the mafia agrees.
7. The mafia is allowed to talk to each other at night via PMs. They may not talk during the day, and if you aren't mafia, then you don't get to PM the other players at all. This is a serious rules violation; you are not allowed to talk about this game outside of this thread while the game is ongoing, and you are not allowed to talk about other ongoing games in this thread, and both are punishable by modkill.
8. DO NOT EDIT YOUR POSTS, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. I am so not kidding.
9. I will prod you after 48 hours with no activity, and start looking for replacements after 72 hours. If you know you'll be away, though, let me know, and we'll work something out.
10. I post in
Red
. This is my color, for posting important mod stuff. Don't use red. You can have any other color, if black isn't good enough for you.
11. You may not discuss this game outside of this thread until it is complete.
12. You may think you've found a way around my rules, but trust me, you haven't. Loopholes are punishable by death.
13. I am always right, but if you think I'm not, send me a PM, and I'll point out where you were mistaken.
14. The mod is your friend, and will help when necessary, though I can't discuss game specifics. You also have an IC, who is here to give in-game help. Note, however, that this doesn't guarantee that they're townies; their alignment is randomly assigned as well.
15. Using encryption schemes, small or invisible text, or similar to try and break the game is forbidden. Remember that you're here to learn, and breaking strategies don't help that.
16. Remember, you agreed to a code of honor when you joined the site.

I know that seems like a lot of rules, but most of them should never come up, if we all play nice.
One time, back in 'nam, Sudo was set upon by an entire squadron of charlies. He challenged them all to a game of Pictionary, which he won resoundingly. The charlies were forced to not only surrender the skirmish, but also their world-famous chili recipe, which Sudo sold to Texas for a hefty profit. Sudo is a master of diplomacy.
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:31 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

This game is under the F11 setup, which is now the standard for newbie games on the site, and was adopted to prevent game-breaking. It will feature one of the following formats, randomly selected:

- 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, vs. 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
- 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker vs. 7 Townies
- 2 Mafia Goons vs. 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
- 2 Mafia Goons vs. 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies.

Note that, under the first two setups, if the goon dies, the roleblocker will still be allowed to kill in addition to roleblocking, and may select different targets for his abilities.

The following are copies of the role pms that may be sent out during this game, with the names excluded, natch:
Townie
- You are a member of the town, out to root out the mafia and defend your town. You don't have any special powers, beyond your ability to think, reason, and vote. You win when the mafia is dead.
Cop
- You are a sworn police officer, and defender of the town. Each night, you may investigate a player. Every night, PM me the name of the player you wish to investigate, and I will tell you if that player is town or mafia. You may only do this once each night, though, so choose wisely. You win when the mafia is dead.
Doctor
- You are a trained medical professional, and defender of the town. Each night, you may protect a player. Every night, PM me the name of the player you wish to protect; if that player would be killed during the night, that kill is cancelled and the player will continue to live. You may only protect one player every night, and this protect continues only for that night. You may not protect yourself. You win when the mafia is dead.
Mafia
- You are the mafia, the scum of the earth, and your partner is crime is (insert name). During the day, you may post and vote like any other player, but at night, things get sinister. You and your partner may talk at night to discuss strategy and who to kill: PM me the name of the player the Mafia wants to wack, and that player shall snuff it.
Mafia Roleblocker
- You are the mafia, the scum of the earth, and your partner in crime is (insert name). During the day, you may post and vote like any other player, but at night, things get sinister. You and your partner may talk at night to discuss strategy and who to kill: PM me the name of the player the mafia wants to wak, and that player shall snuff it. You also have the power to roleblock another player- PM me the name of the player you want to block, and if that player has a night power, they will be blocked from using it that night.
Admittedly, I may have overdone it on the flavor, so if you have any questions about your actual abilities, feel free to ask me via PM or your IC in thread, and one of us will be sure to clarify.
Hollyquin
Hollyquin
Townie
Hollyquin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:16 am

Post by Hollyquin »

Confirmed~
"look, mr. bubbles! it's an angel!"
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:31 am

Post by dimaba »

Confirmed
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:03 am

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Confirm
warriormode
warriormode
Goon
warriormode
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:20 am

Post by warriormode »

confirm
maxmatsu
maxmatsu
Townie
maxmatsu
Townie
Townie

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:39 am

Post by maxmatsu »

Confirm.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Post by theperson »

Confirm.
iamatree
iamatree
Townie
iamatree
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 pm

Post by iamatree »

Confirmed :D
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:54 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

By my count, that leaves seth and needle. If they don't confirm in the next day, I'll search out replacements.
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:14 am

Post by needle »

confirm
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:34 am

Post by seth »

/confirm
Sudo_Nym
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Sudo_Nym
Pseudo Newbie
Pseudo Newbie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:39 am

Post by Sudo_Nym »

The gang is all here, so now the game begins! With nine alive, it's five to lynch, and the deadline is August 25! Bonne Chance!
needle
needle
Townie
needle
Townie
Townie

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Post by needle »

Hello everyone!

This is my first time playing mafia on a forum. I've only ever played in real life.
When I first joined the group of people I played with, we did a similar random voting stage that I've noticed through my perusal of past games on here.
Recently we've tried to move away from that and generate more conversation just about game dynamics, styles of play etc. rather than just grilling everyone. I have personally found that more effective but it's a bit more meta which I guess is useless in a game with people I've never played with before. I believe it's similar to the random question stage that I've noticed on here in place of the RVS. So I think I'll try doing that this game :)

More directed to IC/SE's:
What do you think about RVS vs. RQS?

For everyone:
What's your experience playing mafia? Is it in real life, forums, chat, etc.?
What do you think the pros/cons may be of playing online vs. real life?
Do you think wanting to skip RVS in favour of RQS is scummy of me?
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Post by theperson »

answers
needle wrote:What do you think about RVS vs. RQS?
Well, I'm more accustomed to the RVS, but I think both serve as a good introduction to the game. I think whichever town is more comfortable with is a better way to start.
needle wrote:What's your experience playing mafia? Is it in real life, forums, chat, etc.?
I've played a few games in real life, and I've completed two games here. I'm also in one other.
needle wrote:What do you think the pros/cons may be of playing online vs. real life?

I think you have to think much more in online mafia, which is a pro for me, but the con is that you spend a lot more time on it. A real life game is one that just goes by fast and is based on more facial expressions, etc. than actions. So if you have a group of friends, just have fun and play a real life game. However if you're willing to spend some time, online games are very fun and get you thinking.
needle wrote:Do you think wanting to skip RVS in favour of RQS is scummy of me?
It's not as much skipping as it is choosing RQS over RVS, but it's not scummy at all. It's just a matter of preference, which doesn't really have any influence from your role.

So yeah, I'm one of your SEs along with dimaba, which means that we have played at least 2 games here. However, the most experienced player and the one who can best answer most theory/game related questions is Debonair Danny DiPietro. He's an IC, meaning he's played at least 5 games and has applied to become an IC.

I also have a few questions to add:

Lynch all Liars?
Is lurking scummy?

My responses:

Lynch all Liars? Usually, almost always in a newbie game, but it really varies from case to case. If it's lylo, you really need to consider because if they're lying townie, you lose.]

Is lurking scummy? Well, you can never tell if it's due to real life issues unless they tell you. However I think active lurking is scummy. That's when you only post to prevent being prodded, you never contribute to the discussions. Townies should have no reason to do this so I feel it's scummy.
warriormode
warriormode
Goon
warriormode
Goon
Goon

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Post by warriormode »

@needle- I have only played played in live games as well. i hav a game going on off the site and this one currently and these r the only online games ive ever played. I find online to be a little bit of a drag sometimes cause it takes for ever to lynch someone whereas in live games it only takes like a minute to lynch someone and the game moves fast. What i like about online is everybody is experienced, logic on here is more advanced than my logic in a lives game. It makes u think a lot which i find really cool. As far RVS vs. RQS, no body should think of you as scummy for being in favor of RQS. at least i don't. Well anyways i hope this will be a good game. Hope we start soon. Good luck!
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Debonair Danny DiPietro
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:29 pm

Post by Debonair Danny DiPietro »

Oi, to head off question of this nature: I respond to nearly any variation of that from the full thing to DDD, Danny to DDDP to "Hey, you" as long as I know that I'm the "Hey, you" you're referring to. As the IC, I'm here to answer questions and provide some order to the game while also playing the game. If you have some question not related directly to your role (those questions should be sent to Sudo) feel free to ask them. It is much better to ask a question than to blunder and hurt the town accidentally.

Other than that, you get out of this game what you put in. So if you want to have fun, come in with a positive attitude, don't take any debate, arguments, or accusations personally and just pretend it's Pat Benetar and give it your best shot. I think experience is the best teacher and so unless otherwise prompted I'll be playing the game the same as the rest of you.

~

VOTE: warriormode; Game has already started homie.
Hollyquin
Hollyquin
Townie
Hollyquin
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Post by Hollyquin »

I feel like I'm filling out a survey. *sweatdrop* Well...I suppose I am technically. Ah well, here goes nothing:
needle wrote:What's your experience playing mafia? Is it in real life, forums, chat, etc.?
None whatsoever! Heh. That's so disheartening-sounding. But yeah, I've never played in real life, or online. But I've observed games on several other forums and I've done a LOT of reading up, so I pretty much know how to play, what's going on, all of that by now.
needle wrote:What do you think the pros/cons may be of playing online vs. real life?
It seems to me like playing online is a much deeper game. After all, you can't do things like examine past voting patterns in a real life game. There's just a lot more time to think online.
No. RVS strikes me as rather pointless tbh. >< So this is more interesting.
theperson wrote:Lynch all Liars?
I'd say yes. No good reason for a Townie to be lying.
theperson wrote:Is lurking scummy?
This one is legitimately tricky for me because I'm the kind of person who doesn't contribute to a discussion unless she has something definitely helpful to contribute. And I probably won't always have that. So I'm going to say that it's
usually
scummy, but it certainly isn't definitive.

Oh and uh, hi, everyone?
"look, mr. bubbles! it's an angel!"
maxmatsu
maxmatsu
Townie
maxmatsu
Townie
Townie

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:48 pm

Post by maxmatsu »

RQS eh?
I haven't really played a full game in a forum that isn't based in mafia games, the game usually dies out. However, I have played games in chats.
Well, I haven't really played in real life, so I can't really tell you if anything is true or not, but I'd expect that the real-life mafia is based around emotions, what people say, and remembering, since nothing is written, while in the online one you have more time to think and respond, you don't have to worry about pressure and slips. IMO you have to be much more observant online though.
Eh I have never played with any of both, so I really wouldn't know.
In most of the cases, it would be a good idea to lynch a liar, but thats only if you're pretty sure he is.
Well, lurking means being there but not talking, so there might be a reason why he isn't talking, maybe he has nothing important to say. Might as well ask him in a way so he is forced to respond why. If you're the lurker, don't go asking to a lurker why he lurks if you're a lurker too though.

Eh, well those are my opinions.

Might as well ask a question too and see if someone answers it.

"What do you think of someone hammering, specially right away?"

I personally think hammering someone needs some thought in itself, as it might mean the town looses 2 town-sided people or a Winloss, but the voters before the hammering also matter imo. Still, hammering someone right away is kind of suspiscious.
theperson
theperson
Goon
theperson
Goon
Goon

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 am

Post by theperson »

maxmatsu wrote:What do you think of someone hammering, specially right away?
Well, I think a hammer is fine if

1. The whole or most of the town has agreed to it; or in some cases
2. It's near deadline. The exception is if you have a choice between two hammers when one of the people is obviously scummier, and you choose the townier one. But typically a hammer to prevent a no lynch is fine.

Quicklynches are almost always scummy, it indicates that you want to end the day faster (less discussion for town, always a bad thing), and sometimes shows you're desperate for a lynch.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:30 am

Post by dimaba »

I've never played a RL or chat game. I've played two games of mafia on this forum, which makes me a semi-experienced player. I played those games about a year ago. I then had a big gap because I was just too busy to play well.
Never having played in real life, this is a tough question. My guess would be that in RL games you can rely on physical tells (looking away, shaky hands and whatever) and it will be easier to put words into context. I have seen people get lynched online on a badly worded sentence when really it is almost impossible to judge the true meaning of a sentence that can be explained in more ways than one over the internet. That's especially true when there are language barriers. Advantages of online play would be that it's easier to keep track of the flow of the game, you can read back to discover contradictions and you have more time to word your accusations and responses.
No. Tbh I think there isn't much of a difference between the two, as both won't really deliver significant suspicions and do a good job at getting the conversation started. If anything, RQS is probably better as it requires people to produce more text and that makes it easier to get a feel for their posting style.
If there are no confirmed scum out there, yes. Lying is a terrible thing for town to do, so at worst you will lynch a townie that acts anti-town. An exception might be a lynch or lose situation where the cop has identified certain scum.
It depends on the definition of lurking. Some say that every kind of inactivity is lurking while others say only being there but responding as little or with as little content as possible qualifies as lurking. In both of of the games I have played before I was attacked for "lurking" when I really was too busy to respond every day. In both those games I was town. So it's by no means a guaranteed scumtell. Personally I only find lurking scummy when it can be verified that the lurker has posted in other topics in the same period of time, or if they are pretending to be active but aren't really contributing. Those are deliberate anti-town actions and are therefore scummy.
maxmatsu wrote:What do you think of someone hammering, specially right away?
I agree with what theperson says about quickhammering. Everyone should have a chance to respond to the imminent lynch before the hammer (unless the deadline is very close). A hammer before that is suspect. But when all opinions have been heard and there is no further discussion, there is nothing wrong with hammering.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:33 am

Post by dimaba »

dimaba wrote:
No. Tbh I think there isn't much of a difference between the two, as both won't really deliver significant suspicions and do a good job at getting the conversation started. If anything, RQS is probably better as it requires people to produce more text and that makes it easier to get a feel for their posting style.
EBWOP for clarification: should be "...as both won't really deliver significant suscpicions and
both
do a good job at getting the conversation started
seth
seth
Goon
seth
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:16 am

Post by seth »

1. Started a few weeks ago. Played mafia a few times IRL.
2. There's more logic involved in online, but it's harder to set tones and catch context clues whilst typing and reading so there are definitely both pros and cons to both.
3. No, but I do think that you caring about our opinion on you so early on in the game is scummy.

4. Lynch all liars.
5. Lurking isn't scummy, active lurking is.

6. Hammering quickly without good reason is scummy, building up your case for 10 pages and then having hammer and then hammering is not.

@needle

Why do you care about what we think about you so early on in the game?

@Danny

Is there a reason why you don't want to answer any of the questions that have been asked? Or is there a reason why you haven't?

@Holly

Why are RVS pointless? Do you think they're not pointless in non newbie games?

Vote: dimaba

Here's to hoping that not every single one of your posts is as long as 21.
dimaba
dimaba
Townie
dimaba
Townie
Townie

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:42 am

Post by dimaba »

seth wrote:
Vote: dimaba

Here's to hoping that not every single one of your posts is as long as 21.
Probably not, but would it be a problem? Tbh I don't see why, other than that you might have to spend 2min more reading.

You made an interesting point with your answer to question three. I'd like to hear why needle thought we might find skipping RVS in favour of RQS scummy. I don't believe it is necessarily scummy to ask, but to decide I'd need to see needle's reply.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”