Newbie 1086 (GAME OVER)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Newbie 1086 (GAME OVER)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:48 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Newbie 1086:

Most of you are new to this and are distressed to find out that several of your fellow town members have been murdered.

What exactly are you guys going to do about these murders? Why the most rational thing of course! Lynch the offenders with extreme prejudice!

Players alive:

projectmatt
Space Pope
Hazard with a Glove
(SE)
MagnaofIllusion (IC)

Players dead:

Mogri
(Vanilla Townie)
lynched day 1
Darkcoffeejazz
Rockynpoika
matthewburke47
(Vanilla Townie)
killed night 1
JasonT1981
David Xanatos
(Mafia Goon)
lynched day 2
Parabollocks
Jerako
ZengarZombolt
(Vanilla Townie)
lynched day 3
Stefunny
Runner
(Vanilla Townie)
killed night 3
TOGTFO
Sisterman
(Vanilla Townie)
lynched day 4

Important links:

The IC(s) are here to help you learn to play the game. Their play is governed by the wiki article Being a good IC.
Last edited by Zachrulez on Thu May 19, 2011 8:55 am, edited 19 times in total.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:56 am

Post by Zachrulez »

General Rules

Do not talk about the game outside of it unless your role allows you to.

Do not edit or delete your posts in anyway. (Assuming you have the power to do so. This offense is modkillable if you are caught.)

Do not quote any moderator pms sent to you by me. (This includes role pms and all aspects of the role pm. (ex: Timestamps of role pms))

Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you have. I will make in game announcements if appropriate.

Do not use any font size other than normal please. I will warn violaters, and will modkill repeat offenders. Don't try to hide text or make it difficult to read either. (Also, absolutely no encrypted text of any kind.)

Once you're dead, stop typing. (I will allow one contentless "bah" post as an exception.)

Please treat the other players in the game with respect. I do not want to have to intervene if the game starts to get personal, but I will if I have to.

Do not talk about ongoing games please.

This is my color, don't use it.

I reserve the right to add, remove and change rules as I see fit to improve the quality of the game. I will also clarify the rules as needed. (Exceptions are rules that have a * next to them. These rules are required of newbie mods and not within my power to change. I will clarify them as necessary though.)

Modkills will end the day. (Breaking or pretending to break any rule on my ruleset may be grounds for this at my discretion. Your role will be changed to neutral survivor and you will automatically lose the game if you are modkilled, so be forewarned.)

Gameplay Rules

Each day the town decides on a lynch. You will require one half of the living players plus one in order to achieve a lynching majority. I will go out of my way to make sure you are aware of this number. Be aware that you must achieve this threshold for a lynch, even at deadline. (No lynch will occur at deadline if there's no majority.)

To vote please do so in this format
Vote: Zachrulez
Please bold your vote and try to put it at the bottom of your post. (Not required but appreciated.) Failure to vote in the bold format may result in the vote not being counted. (At my discretion I will determine vote intent.)

Unvoting is appreciated, but not required. Please post it in bold if you do it.

No lynch is also allowed, under the same format.
Vote: No Lynch
A majority vote for no lynch will send the game into night without a lynch.

*Newbie games require a 3 week deadline from the start of the day. Generally, extensions are not allowed except for extreme circumstances. Be aware of this.

You are subject to a mod prod after 72 hours of inactivity. You will have 48 hours to respond to a prod before I start searching for a replacement. I will not acknowledge whether or not a prod has been picked up, but I will announce the prod.

If you are unable to meet the minimum posting requirements for any reason, please let us know in thread. Don't leave us hanging.

Once a majority is reached, that player is lynched and can not be saved with unvotes. All players including the lynched player are free to continue posting until I get around to locking the thread.

Night will last a maximum of 3 days under normal circumstances. If I need to replace players over night, it may take a little longer.

Last and Most importantly, have fun!
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:58 am

Post by Zachrulez »

The F11 setup is the current game format used in Newbie games. To prevent the development of game-breaking strategies, these Newbie Games are Semi-Open, wherein the actual game setup is randomly chosen from one of four possible setups as detailed below:
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 1 Sane Cop, 1 Sane Doctor, 5 Townies
  • 1 Mafia Goon, 1 Mafia Roleblocker, 7 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Cop, 6 Townies
  • 2 Mafia Goons, 1 Sane Doctor, 6 Townies
If either of the first two setups are in play, and the situation occurs where the Goon is lynched first, the Roleblocker will still be able to submit both night kills and roleblocks (roleblocking is a function of the Roleblocker; night kills are a function of the scum team as a whole).

These are the Role PMs that have potentially been sent to the players:

Mafia-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.
  • Please confirm by pming me the name of your role.
Mod wrote:

You are a member of the Mafia along with your partner,
name
. Since your plot to quietly overtake the town has failed, you will attempt take it by force by eliminating the others until you outnumber the populace.
  • During the day, try to blend in with the normal Townies, and attempt to get someone lynched.
  • As a Roleblocker, you have the ability to distract any player throughout the night, effectively negating their night ability, if they have one.
  • Send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to block. If they have a Night action, it will have no effect. You will not be informed as to whether your roleblock worked or not.
  • During the NIGHT cycle ONLY, you may talk with your fellow Mafia (via PM) and choose another player in the town to kill that night.
  • You may communicate privately with your fellow Mafia up until the game thread is opened. Once the game begins, all outside communication must cease until the night cycle.
  • You win when the number of Mafia equals or exceeds the number of remaining Town players, whether you survive to the end or not.

Town-Aligned players:

Mod wrote:

You are a Vanilla Townie, trying to make a living and survive this insanity.
  • You have no abilities at Night other than getting a good night's rest.
  • Although you do not have any special abilities, your voice and vote are powerful weapons in their own right. Use them to your best advantage!
  • At no time may you privately communicate with any other player.
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local law enforcement, and can tell the good guys from the bad.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to investigate.
  • The Moderator will inform you as to that person's guilt or innocence.
  • In a Newbie game, you will always get a correct result (no sanity issues).
  • You win when all the Mafia players are gone, whether you survive to the end or not.
Mod wrote:

You are the local physician, and can protect people from harm.
  • Each NIGHT, you may send the moderator a PM with your choice of player that you want to protect.
  • If someone attempts to kill that player during the Night, they will be spared.
  • You may not protect yourself.
  • In a Newbie game, your protection target will always live through the night (no quacks).
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:37 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Ran into an issue I wasn't expecting sending role pms. Game is on hold until I resolve it with VRK.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:52 am

Post by Zachrulez »

JasonT1981 replaces David Xanatos. Role PMs are out and the game will begin when everyone (or close to) confirms via pm.
Zachrulez
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Zachrulez
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:22 am

Post by Zachrulez »

Rockynpoika replaces matthewburke47 and Space Pope replaces Hazard with a glove.

8 have now confirmed, so we have enough confirms now to start day 1.

Not voting: (Sisterman, ZengarZombolt, Mogri, projectmatt, JasonT1981, Rockynpoika, Runner, Space Pope, MagnaofIllusion)

With 9 alive it's 5 to lynch.

Day 1 will end no later than 2:30PM CST on Saturday April 23rd.
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:14 am

Post by Runner »

Hello all, I am one of your two SE's. The IC is the one who is here to help answer the newbie questions, but I've completed 2 games on this site (well, properly anyway) and so count as a Semi-Experienced player. Basically, I know my stuff... more or less. This is my first game as an SE, just by the way.

The only advice I'd like to start off with is

1) Don't hammer (cast the final vote) on a player without giving them a chance to claim and being completely sure.
2) Don't claim until you have to (when we're all massclaiming) or at L-1.

I also suggest if you're quite new at mafia is to look around the MS wiki which can be found here.

Don't worry if I seem a bit absurd or rushed with all that. Our IC is MagnaOfIllusion who I've seen around the site and remember reading a bit of a game. I'm sure a more comprehensive introduction will arrive shortly.

That said, lets get into the Random Voting Stage. This is where we vote randomly in the hopes of someone finding something odd about another player and good conversation starts to flow and we get to a lynch.

VOTE: jasont1981. 2845 posts and joined as newbie? Pffft. Scum.
Mogri
Mogri
Goon
Mogri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:15 am

Post by Mogri »

Wahoo! My obsessive thread-checking finally pays off. Hello, everyone!

Guess I'll start things off with
I am no longer first, but I will still
randvote: Space Pope
ZengarZombolt
ZengarZombolt
Townie
ZengarZombolt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:42 am

Post by ZengarZombolt »

So it begins.
Mod you should have done role PMs flawlessly this is an insult to us players >:|
VOTE: Zachrulez
rockynpoika
rockynpoika
Townie
rockynpoika
Townie
Townie

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:48 am

Post by rockynpoika »

VOTE: ZengarZombolt

For not having an avatar.
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:51 am

Post by Runner »

Mogri wrote:Wahoo! My obsessive thread-checking finally pays off. Hello, everyone!

Hi Mogri, I suggest you get an avatar as soon as possible.
ZengarZombolt wrote:So it begins.
Mod you should have done role PMs flawlessly this is an insult to us players >:|
VOTE: Zachrulez
Hi ZengarZombolt, from now on I'm calling you Zenbolt. Mind placing a serious vote?
rockynpoika wrote:
VOTE: ZengarZombolt

For not having an avatar.
Hi rockynpoika, you're now rocky. Mogri does not have an avatar either, why pick Zenbolt over Mogri?
projectmatt
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:54 am

Post by projectmatt »

Ah, I'm excited to finally see this start of this. This is my first game but I've played several hundred games of mafia on another website so I think I'll understand the basics, at least. This site seems to have the same basic terminology that most mafia games do, so let's get this started.

Vote:ZengarZombolt
for having a username that will be a pain to type out through the course of this game.
Runner
Runner
Goon
Runner
Goon
Goon

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:59 am

Post by Runner »

Oh, I should probably give you guys this link here as well:-
http://mafiascum.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... reviations

Commonly used abbreviations used in the game.
ZengarZombolt
ZengarZombolt
Townie
ZengarZombolt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:41 am

Post by ZengarZombolt »

Avatar accrued! Now, Runner: With serious vote you mean me voting an actual player, or to go past RVS already? I am somewhat confused.
Mogri
Mogri
Goon
Mogri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:16 pm

Post by Mogri »

Runner wrote:
Mogri wrote:Wahoo! My obsessive thread-checking finally pays off. Hello, everyone!

Hi Mogri, I suggest you get an avatar as soon as possible.

ZZ: Pretty sure he means voting for someone who's playing in this game.
ZengarZombolt
ZengarZombolt
Townie
ZengarZombolt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:41 pm

Post by ZengarZombolt »

Well in that case.
Unvote

Vote: MagnaOfIllusion

Mersenne Twister tells me to.
rockynpoika
rockynpoika
Townie
rockynpoika
Townie
Townie

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Post by rockynpoika »

Runner wrote:Hi rockynpoika, you're now rocky. Mogri does not have an avatar either, why pick Zenbolt over Mogri?
Honestly? Because I wanted to cause a game issue discussion over this to pull us out of the RVS. Now that they both have avatars, I can't see a way to continue it though.

However, my vote stays because I do think that Zenbolt is being as scummy as one can be at this point. Over eager to please and in general, and using a random generator for his vote (which he was reluctant to do at first, vote, but was "convinced" into doing) which conveniently means we can gain no information from his vote. I'll try to clarify more later, but I think this makes sense.
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:08 pm

Post by jasonT1981 »

Runner wrote:
VOTE: jasont1981. 2845 posts and joined as newbie? Pffft. Scum.

Hey Runner, don't think we have played before, yea I have been on the site a while, currently awaiting IC status, already have SE status and played alot of games, I joined this game to replace someone who flaked as a favor to Zach. I love your avatar btw, 11th Doctor is amazing!

Anyway

vote: Space Pope

Sounds un-holy and the religious figure could end up being evil :lol:

Anyway, now down to the serious business, I am not sure I like how rockynpoika wants to get out of RVS so early (on page 1 :O) RVS is used to further discussion and get momentum into the game, you cut that out and you are left with nothing to go on, no clues or anything... something that benefits town. It seems rockynpoika has picked a target early and over an avatar issue and still is going to run with it... interesting...

you say you are keeping your vote on Zenbolt as he is 'being as scummy as you can be' yet actually fail to elaborate further on it... care to point out how he is being scummy?

it does seem like you picked a target and are sticking to it anyway (given there was another player with no avatar at the time) and call him scummy with no actual justification.
unvote
vote:Rocky

I don't like how you say you will try to clarify more later, if you have reason to suspect then why not now? or where you hoping others jump onto your reasoning and subsequently form a wagon?
rockynpoika
rockynpoika
Townie
rockynpoika
Townie
Townie

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:29 pm

Post by rockynpoika »

jasonT1981 wrote: (1)Anyway, now down to the serious business, I am not sure I like how rockynpoika wants to get out of RVS so early...
(2)you say you are keeping your vote on Zenbolt as he is 'being as scummy as you can be' yet actually fail to elaborate further on it... care to point out how he is being scummy?...
(3)I don't like how you say you will try to clarify more later, if you have reason to suspect then why not now? (4) or where you hoping others jump onto your reasoning and subsequently form a wagon?
1. Well, this is going to be a disagreement of semantics, but I don't consider RVS to have information. One needs to get it into game related issues, instead of voting for people based on their favourite colour. Providing a game related issue is the best way to do that.
2. I think I did elaborate. a. He doesn't want to offend. I am getting this vibe from post 13, but I may be reading into that. b. He used a random generator to decide on who to vote. This provides no information for the other players, and seperates himself completely from the vote.
3. Again, I gave some reasons. I meant I would clarify later if I was misunderstood, which I am now since I suppose I was. Also, digging a little deeper, I am not entirely sober at this time and am having difficulty clearly articulating.
4. That would be nice actually, yes. Just one more vote though, to L-2, wouldn't want to tempt overzealous scum to quick hammer and end the day without information.
MagnaofIllusion
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
MagnaofIllusion
has been killed Night 1
has been killed Night 1

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Post by MagnaofIllusion »

Greetings fellow players! I am MagnaofIllusion, and I’ll be your IC for this game of Mafia. Greetings to Jason, who I believe is the only player I have met here on Mafiascum.

As your IC my job, while of course playing Mafia, is to serve as a helpful guide to acclimating yourself to the environment here at MafiaScum. I will answer any questions you might have about site norms and try to model good play for you. As a player I will play to win, regardless of affiliation. Please note I will do my best to address concerns you have about game theory, but since playstyles and tactics for the most part are subjective choices I will not delve too deeply into theory arguments.

Runner and SpacePope are your SE (or semi-experienced) players here. While they have no formal requirements to serve in a teaching capacity I hope they will share what they’ve learned in their experiences here at Mafiascum. Jason should also be considered an SE as he exceeds the requisite experience to be an IC.

General Advice

1. The Mafia Wiki can be found HERE. It is a good source of information about players, game theory, and common fallacies you might find in Mafia games. Please remember that while a hand site it is not the 100% Bible about Mafia. Many areas of game theory are hotly debated.
2. Please if you do not have an avatar please get one. It doesn’t require a Flicker or similar account and will make it easier for all the players to distinguish you when reading the thread. I see that everyone who didn't have one has quickly gotten that straighted out so far. Thank you.
3. Play to win. There may come a point in the game where you feel like you are doomed. Don’t give up and do your best to play to your win condition. Regardless of the game outcome as long as you gave an honest effort you should be proud.
4. Don’t have thin skin. Mafia is by nature a confrontational game. Accusations will be made against you at some point in the game. Do your best to not take them personally.
5. Don’t be a jerk. The easiest way for a game of Mafia to stop being enjoyable for all the players involved is to make things personal.
6. Don’t bring assumptions from previous site or RL expiences to the game. Mafiascum is likely very different than you in some ways than where you played before. It’s best not to assume that things you take for granted work the same way here. I played for over 2 years on another site before joining Mafiascum and the differences in the general site metas took some time to adjust to for me.

Game Specific Advice

1. Read the rules. While Newbie games are fairly standard as a teaching tool each Mod can have specific twists to their rule set. Being familiar with the Mod’s rule-set will make you better equipped to play to your win condition.
2. Don’t self-vote. The number of situations where it is useful to advancing your win condition in a Newbie game by self-voting are very few and far between. Self-voting deprives the other players of potential information about who would be voting for you in place of ourself.
3. Don’t be timid. Although myself and the SE players may have more experience or credentials than you it does not make us infallible. Don’t back down from an argument just because one of us disagrees with you.
4. Use knowledge of the set-up to your advantage. The Mod has outlined the 4 possible set-up permutations in his introductory posts. As the game progresses more and more information may become available you may be able to detect a lie simply based on what possible set-ups may be ruled out.
5. Don’t claim your role unnecessarily. It doesn’t benefit your team to offer up your role without reason. Site standards in a Newbie game generally say that outside of a Mass-claim scenario you shouldn’t claim until you are at L-1 (ie one vote away from being lynched) and another player indicates they are willing to place the last vote ... aka hammer you.
6. Be active. Zach and your fellow players are putting a good effort into the game. With only 9 players to start with inactive players can really damage the flow and fun of the game.

That concludes my introductory IC post (or as some call them Snooze-vile central). Please feel free to ask me any questions you have.

I see that the stage of a game commonly called RVS (Random Vote Stage) has already begun. As the game opens up and no real information is available people generally make random votes to spark discussion.

I’ll add my two cents by casting my vote.

VOTE: Rocky. RVS is certainly not devoid of information and anyone floating the theory it is must be scum.
"I am a leaf on the wind ... watch how I soar!"

Pretty much Geriatric game restricted at this point ... unless there are players I REALLY want to play with.
ZengarZombolt
ZengarZombolt
Townie
ZengarZombolt
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Post by ZengarZombolt »

rockynpoika wrote:He used a random generator to decide on who to vote.
Well last time I checked RVS standed for
Random
Vote Stage, so yeah.
Unvote

Since the game is on, I'm gonna wait to see the other people's actions are since you know, lurking is quite scummy.
Sisterman
Sisterman
Townie
Sisterman
Townie
Townie

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Post by Sisterman »

Vote: Rockynpoila
because drinking and posting is a serious offense!
jasonT1981
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
jasonT1981
Jack of All Trades
Jack of All Trades

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Post by jasonT1981 »

rockynpoika wrote:He used a random generator to decide on who to vote.

eh? how do you know he used a generator to decide who to vote? I saw nothing suggesting this.....am I missing something at 3am here?

have i missed something or where you just speculating he was?
Mogri
Mogri
Goon
Mogri
Goon
Goon

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Post by Mogri »

Mersenne Twister is a pseudorandom number generation algorithm.
projectmatt
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
projectmatt
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:37 pm

Post by projectmatt »

MagnaofIllusion wrote: VOTE: Rocky. RVS is certainly not devoid of information and anyone floating the theory it is must be scum.
I assume that this was a joke? If it's not, then let me know and I think it could serve some very interesting discussion.

Unvote
because the fact that several votes are now on someone I was attempting to RVS makes me very nervous.

Vote:Sisterman
because I haven't seen much from her and I'd like to see her give her two cents.

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”