Newbie 1045: Christmas in Newbieville! (Mafia Win!)

For Newbie Games, which have a set format and experienced moderators. Archived during the 2023 queue overhaul.
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Newbie 1045: Christmas in Newbieville! (Mafia Win!)

Post Post #0 (ISO) » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:50 pm

Post by xRECKONERx »

It's Christmastime! That magical, wonderful time of year when families fight with each other and people give gifts to other people! But… the magic and whimsy of Christmas is being threatened here in Newbieville. One snowy morning a few days before Christmas, the whole town wakes up to find xRECKONERx lying dead in the blood-stained snow. Well, you're all not going to stand for this! It's time to use your voice and make yourselves heard! You shall not rest until the scumbags responsible for this are brought to justice!

Game Status:
Game Over

ALIVE (3)

Mr. Flay
dramonic
replaced D1
(SE)

DEAD (6)
ender241 -
Doctor
- Lynched Day 1
Thor665 (IC) -
Vanilla Townie
- Killed Night 1
MrBump -
Mafia Goon
- Lynched Day 2
Napher
Cirno
replaced D1
-
Cop
- Killed Night 2
Korts
DarlaBlueEyes
replaced D1
(SE) -
Vanilla Townie
- Lynched Day 3
Glass -
Vanilla Townie
- Killed Night 3
Lateralus22 -
Vanilla Townie
- Lynched Day 4
Fungrus -
Vanilla Townie
- Endgamed

MODKILLED (0)nobody, hopefully

• Game Flow:

• Assuming you don't lynch or anything first, each day will last three weeks, which is standard for newbie games. You may request a deadline extension, but it is up to my final decision whether or not I grant the extension based on what I've seen. There will not be a lynch if the game goes to night due to this deadline--someone has to consciously place a hammer vote.
  • You may choose to go to night without a lynch before then, by having at least half of the players
    vote: No Lynch
    . (That's half, not a full majority.)
  • Votes should be posted in the format '
    vote: Barack Obama
    .' I expect them to be entirely bold, but don't try to exploit this to trick someone. I'll count what I damn well want to count. I will register misspellings and nicknames if I can figure out who you're referring to. You do not have to
    unvote
    , but you're welcome to do so anyway.
  • When a player has the majority of the votes at a single point, they are dead and the game goes to twilight. You may post in twilight until I get a lynch scene up.
  • Night deadlines are usually going to be 72-hours, or whenever I receive all actions. If you have a role but don't want to perform a night action, just PM me with the phrase
    No Night Action
    so I know you've made your choice.
  • If any anti-town faction does not submit a kill at night, they will no kill and the day phase will continue.

What is and isn't allowed:

• Unless otherwise specified, living players can't communicate with each other out of the thread. I will set up a QuickTopic for anyone who is able to communicate with someone else.
  • You
    may
    rant to both dead players and nonplaying friends, although you're encouraged to first make sure that said friends aren't interested in replacing in with you. (I am of course available, sympathetic, and discreet.) Regardless of where you found them, rantbuddies may not reveal their own opinions on the game.
  • "Dead" means "dead." You can have one "Bah! I'm dead! Go town!" post afterwards, but if it contains any game relevant information, I will delete it.
  • Read your role PM and
    summarize it in your confirmation PM response to me
    . Unless I've posted it publicly, you may not reference its wording in-thread. You can paraphrase if you must claim, but any direct quotation of any PMs will result in a modkill.
  • The
    bold, green font
    is my domain. Don't use it. Don't pretend to use it.
  • You may only type in default font, italics, bold, underline, etc. Do not increase or decrease default font size, do not change font colors, etc.

What to expect from me:

• Do try to be active, and leave a notification in-thread and/or by PM if that's not possible. I will automatically prod anyone who has not posted over 72 hours--and that's pretty lenient; you are expected to post more than once every three days. If asked, I will disclose the status of any prod.
  • If you don't post in-thread in response to a prod within 24 hours, I will seek a replacement to take over your role. I may seek replacement for a player who lurks consistently without breaking this rule, but you'll have some sort of warning first.
  • If you receive three prods in a row without much contribution to the game, you will automatically be replaced.
  • I'll try to post one votecount per page, as close to the top as possible. If I make errors, please correct me.
  • I'm one of those "spirit-of-the-game"-type hippies. This ruleset is a guideline. I reserve the right to change it at will, and even in extreme circumstances enforce it retroactively. If a strategy feels shady to you, you might want to take it up with me first.

Miscellaneous:

• Play to win, but do try to have fun while you're at it.
Thanks, Ether, for the original ruleset which I modified.

The setup used in this game is called F11. One of the four setups below will be selected at random:
1 mafia goon + 1 mafia roleblocker vs. 1 cop + 1 doctor + 5 vanilla townies
2 mafia goons vs. 1 cop + 6 vanilla townies
2 mafia goons vs. 1 doctor + 6 vanilla townies
1 mafia goon + 1 mafia roleblocker vs. 7 vanilla townies

The mafia will know right off the bat whether they have a roleblocker or not, and from there they'll be able to narrow this down to two setups.

Each of you will receive a role PM; all of the role PMs put together will add up to one of the above setups. Here are possible roles:
Vanilla Townie Role PM wrote:You are a
vanilla townie
!

You are armed with your two most powerful tools: your voice, and your vote. Each day, you must discuss and vote in the thread to try and find the anti-town members among you. You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Cop Role PM wrote:You are a
cop
!

During the day, you must work with the rest of the town to lynch the bad guys among you! At night, however, you are able to investigate one player. To do so, send me a PM with the name of the player you wish to investigate. I will respond with one of the following replies: "guilty", "innocent", or "investigation failed". You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Doctor Role PM wrote:You are a
doctor
!

During the day, you must work with the rest of the town to lynch the bad guys among you! At night, however, you are able to protect one player. To do so, send me a PM with the name of the player you wish to protect. If that player is targeted for a kill that night, barring extenuating circumstances, you will use your doctor-powers to stop the kill! You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Mafia Goon Role PM wrote:You are a
Mafia Goon
!

During the day, you must blend in with the rest of the town and try to keep your identity hidden. At night, you must converse with your partner, PARTNERNAME, in order to plot out who to kill. You win when you are equal in number to the town, or nothing can prevent that from happening. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Mafia Roleblocker Role PM wrote:You are a
Mafia Goon
!

During the day, you must blend in with the rest of the town and try to keep your identity hidden. At night, you must converse with your partner, PARTNERNAME, in order to plot out who to kill. In addition to being able to kill, you can also choose to roleblock someone. If that person tries to use a night action when you roleblock them, they will fail to do so. You win when you are equal in number to the town, or nothing can prevent that from happening. Please confirm that you have read and understand your role in-thread.
Last edited by xRECKONERx on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:58 am, edited 12 times in total.
green shirt thursdays
xRECKONERx
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
xRECKONERx
GD is my Best Man
GD is my Best Man

Post Post #1 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:50 am

Post by xRECKONERx »

8/9 have confirmed! It is Day 1! With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch!
green shirt thursdays
ender241
ender241
Mafia Scum
ender241
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #2 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:22 am

Post by ender241 »

Alright, as there's a high chance of townie's being lynched first day, i'm going to VOTE: No lynch don't want to kill a fellow townie teammate now do i?
Show
Fenchurch: Also ender's logic in vigging me was bad because even if I had self-protected, it wouldn't have lasted through the day. I would have had to make myself dayvig immune for that. But ender got lucky
again.

That's right people! I might be horrible at mafia but i'm a lucky shot.

Taking pre-ins for Smallville (Seasons 1-3) mafia!!
Fungrus
Fungrus
Goon
Fungrus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #3 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:31 am

Post by Fungrus »

mmm, no.

Voting for people is the only way to gather useful information to figure out who the mafia are. Think of it like this, there's no way to differentiate between a townie voting no lynch and a mafia voting no lynch. However if we vote to kill a player, a townie may have no reason to defend that player whereas a mafia will try and stop their buddies getting killed. From this and many other giveaways you can figure out who the mafia are.

Since this may be your first game I guess it might seem like a good idea to no lynch therefore I'll not vote for you even though voting for no lynch is inherently a pro mafia move.
MrBump
MrBump
Mafia Scum
MrBump
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #4 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:36 am

Post by MrBump »

OMGSCUMSLIP, HE KNOWS THERE ARE TOWNIES

RVS time:
VOTE: Glass

I agree with Fungrus. Putting pressure on villagers doesn't do much. Putting pressure on Mafia makes them sweat and their partners try to defend them.

Also, I live in the UK, so a different timezone to everyone. I'll try to get on as much as possible.
Olinea: IF WE HAVE ANOTHER PROTECTIVE ROLE YOU NEED TO BE SO FAR UP MRBUMP'S ASS YOU CAN SMELL WHAT HE HAD FOR BREAKFAST
Fungrus
Fungrus
Goon
Fungrus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #5 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:57 am

Post by Fungrus »

MrBump wrote:Also, I live in the UK, so a different timezone to everyone. I'll try to get on as much as possible.
Hey me too.

Therefore the only sensible course of action:

Vote: MrBum(p)

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE!!!
ender241
ender241
Mafia Scum
ender241
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #6 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:58 am

Post by ender241 »

Sorry i didnt think about it like that so i'm going to UNVOTE: and wait till i get information before i vote again.
Show
Fenchurch: Also ender's logic in vigging me was bad because even if I had self-protected, it wouldn't have lasted through the day. I would have had to make myself dayvig immune for that. But ender got lucky
again.

ender241
ender241
Mafia Scum
ender241
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #7 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:59 am

Post by ender241 »

Also, i am from UK :D
Show
again.

Napher
Napher
Townie
Napher
Townie
Townie

Post Post #8 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:03 am

Post by Napher »

VOTE:ender241
for being the first to post!
Fungrus
Fungrus
Goon
Fungrus
Goon
Goon

Post Post #9 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:07 am

Post by Fungrus »

ender241 wrote:Also, i am from UK :D
you're next
Mr. Flay
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Mr. Flay
Metatron
Metatron

Post Post #10 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:24 am

Post by Mr. Flay »

What have you people got against United Kingdomians??

Anyway, hey, SE slot I forgot I signed up for. VOTE: Korts - speaking of there can be only one...
Retired as of October 2014.
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #11 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:44 am

Post by Thor665 »

tl:dr - this entire hidden commentary block is all about introducing myself as the IC, blathering about my duties, and offering a basic idea of some of the strategy of the RVS. If this interests you, please read on (especially if this is your first time playing here) if not, feel free to skip.

Also, hello to everyone, I don't think I've played with any of you before.
Spoiler: IC Intro
===========================================================================================

Greetings,

I am Thor665 and I am the Inexperienced Challenged (IC) player of this group. What this means is first and foremost - I am here to play this game with you in a way that will show you what it is like to play on Mafiascum.net. I am here to win and should be treated as such.

My goals and the rules governing my actions are covered in this handy article: Being a good IC
That article is part of our amazing MafiaWiki System. I *highly* recommend this system as a good way to get your feet wet and to find out what a lot of the common abbreviations mean. There is a lot of play strategy discussed in there too. A lot of players consider that advice almost all outdated now. I don't recommend trying to run verbatim with anything there, but a lot of the basic advice is very good to at least be aware of as it can help you avoid blatant pitfalls as you become familiar with the game play here.

Now, as an IC I am here as a resource for you to ask questions of concerning game theory. I WILL NOT lie about game theory answers and will answer them to the best of my ability. I will also offer you the following quick pieces of advice;

1. Don't self vote. (there are really no points during a Newbie setup where this is a good idea, please avoid it however logical you may think it is)
2. This site frowns on lying if you are a vanilla town role. I strongly advise against lying if you have this role as usually it will only hurt town in the end.
3. It's a game - have fun.

We are now starting what is known as the RVS (random voting stage). We are in a low information period because scum already know who they are, and even have a rough idea of what power roles may or may not be in the game. It is now town's job to root them out. Because the start of the game leaves us with no information to start with generally the way to start is to begin voting and questioning other people to see if you can catch them doing something scummy (scummy actions being acts that a scum player is more likely to do then a town player).

Vote: Fungrus

He called something pro-scum but decided *not* to vote anyone because...the person who did the pro-scum thing might be a newbie? With everyone else presumably being either a null or newbie read at that point him witholding his vote just looks silly and illogical since he did nothing to confirm a newbie or scum read on ender. Lack of scumhunting and illogical voting practices equate to scum.
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #12 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:01 am

Post by Korts »

Hi, people, I'm Korts, your less experienced SE for this game. However, to avoid confusion, I'm more than qualified to be your IC, so please, don't treat my opinion as inferior. Seems obvious, I know, but I've had trouble thanks to this before.

Spoiler: NEWBIES: FOR YOUR EYES ONLY
There are a couple suggestions I would like to make. First off, feel free to browse the wiki (see link at the top of the page); however, please note that nothing in there is set in stone, any theory you find on there is someone's own opinion and not a general truth.

Also feel free to browse the (if you have time on your hands, I suggest you check out the old board in the Archive section as well); specific threads that I encourage you to read are Commonly Asked Questions on Mafia Theory, Thestatusquo's theory articles, and JDodge's recent series. I'm not that big an MD presence nowadays, though, so please don't treat my suggestions as the only acceptable canon.

I encourage you to read games, too. I may come back later with some game suggestions, but I trust you to use your own judgment. That also applies in general: don't trust what you read, think for yourself. We as IC's (and SE's) are here to guide you through the common mistakes of new mafia players, but we aren't here to be the ultimate arbiters of your thoughts and opinions. Be critical, be analytical and be vocal. And have fun, of course.

ender: no lynching on day one is a very bad decision. For one, you get nothing out of the day, and essentially give a free night kill to the mafia; there would be scenarios where no lynch would be sensible, but if you consider the math, the endgame will be one day sooner, which means one less lynch for town, which means town has less chance for a win.

also ender: it's generally a good idea not to keep your vote to yourself. If you have no suspects, dig around, and the best way to do that is to vote someone and ask some questions. Sensibly, of course, and specifically scumhunting questions.

meanwhile,

vote: Thor

I've never heard of you, yet you're the IC. Explain or die.
scumchat never die
ender241
ender241
Mafia Scum
ender241
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #13 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:06 am

Post by ender241 »

MrBump wrote:OMGSCUMSLIP, HE KNOWS THERE ARE TOWNIES

RVS time:

I agree with Fungrus. Putting pressure on villagers doesn't do much. Putting pressure on Mafia makes them sweat and their partners try to defend them.

Also, I live in the UK, so a different timezone to everyone. I'll try to get on as much as possible.
VOTE: MrBump

He rushed into a vote of a person before thinking logically about it, and therefore is my vote until i consider him not guilty.
Show
again.

Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #14 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:09 am

Post by Thor665 »

Korts wrote:I've never heard of you, yet you're the IC. Explain or die.
I slipped VRK a quart of Jack Daniels and three chocolate bars.
Explanation over.
Accusations begin.
Stop stealing my IC format.
Oh, and Fungrus is the scum, so...
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #15 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:10 am

Post by Korts »

Uh, a couple corrections on the links:

Mafia Discussion board
old board in the Archive section
scumchat never die
Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #16 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:13 am

Post by Korts »

unvote

I disagree, Thor. Fungrus isn't quite as scummy as MrBump. Take a look at how he points out something to be targeted (Fungrus' questionable attack) and dismisses it by voting elsewhere. As it stands MrBump is scummy, and Fungrus too by association.

scumchat never die
Thor665
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Thor665
Papa Smurf
Papa Smurf

Post Post #17 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:19 am

Post by Thor665 »

I'm supportive of the Bump wagon, but it is just based off the scumminess of Fungrus so I submit my vote is superior.
MrBump
MrBump
Mafia Scum
MrBump
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #18 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:25 am

Post by MrBump »

Wait, are you guys actually serious?
ender241 wrote:
RVS time:

He rushed into a vote of a person before thinking logically about it, and therefore is my vote until i consider him not guilty.
Learn to read.

I'd like to point out Endel no voted and the second and of us called him out on it he changed it. Not an OMGUS vote or anything, but still.

I assumed he was a newbie, and didn't know NLing is a bad idea so was pointing it out. I'm not going to single anyone out for that.

I don't see how Fungrus is scummy, btw.
Olinea: IF WE HAVE ANOTHER PROTECTIVE ROLE YOU NEED TO BE SO FAR UP MRBUMP'S ASS YOU CAN SMELL WHAT HE HAD FOR BREAKFAST
ender241
ender241
Mafia Scum
ender241
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #19 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:34 am

Post by ender241 »

MrBump wrote:Wait, are you guys actually serious?
ender241 wrote:
RVS time:

Learn to read.

I'd like to point out Endel no voted and the second and of us called him out on it he changed it. Not an OMGUS vote or anything, but still.

I assumed he was a newbie, and didn't know NLing is a bad idea so was pointing it out. I'm not going to single anyone out for that.

I don't see how Fungrus is scummy, btw.
UNVOTE: MrBump

Your right, i don't want to be thought of as bandwagoning, so instead i'm going to do a more intelligent vote of VOTE: Glass, he has not posted yet making it likely that he is mafia, as many mafia will not post so it is hard to detect them.
Show
again.

Napher
Napher
Townie
Napher
Townie
Townie

Post Post #20 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:46 am

Post by Napher »

Ender is seeming slightly scummy to me, he is taking back his votes very often, so for now I am going to keep my vote on him.
ender241
ender241
Mafia Scum
ender241
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #21 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:57 am

Post by ender241 »

Is changing my opinion illegal? It's the first day, we have very little information on who is scum; why wouldn't i change my opinion when i get more information?
Show
again.

MrBump
MrBump
Mafia Scum
MrBump
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #22 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:42 am

Post by MrBump »

Was that sarcasm, btw Ender? Because I Random Voted him?

I'm more concerned for Ender's case in the fact he changed his votes very quickly after anyone calls him out on them.

UNVOTE: GLASS

VOTE: Ender241

No one else looks scummy atm.
ender241
ender241
Mafia Scum
ender241
Mafia Scum
Mafia Scum

Post Post #23 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:45 am

Post by ender241 »

Sorry, i'm a newbie and aren't very good at this game as you may have guessed and no it wasn't sarcasm; i changed my opinion when i heard your second opinion.
Why wouldn't i change my opinion when i get more information and more idea who is scummy.
Show
again.

Korts
Korts
Luddite
Korts
Luddite
Luddite

Post Post #24 (ISO) » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:46 am

Post by Korts »

I don't like the ender wagon. Yes, his play is terrible, but I'm pretty sure Flay and Thor can back me up that this is typical newbie/sub-par player behavior. Confusion is not a scumtell.
scumchat never die

Return to “The Road to Rome [Newbie Games]”